O-line??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I found this on Saffold too.... back in 2012 first game also Saffold had this event happen.

Rams LT Rodger Saffold was carted off the field in Sunday's game with a neck injury.

Battling with Lions S John Wendling, Saffold banged his head into another lineman, and immediately went down in a heap. He remained down for several minutes before being strapped down and carted to the locker room in a scary scene. He reportedly has feeling in his extremities. Saffold has been replaced by Wayne Hunter at left tackle. With C Scott Wells out with a foot injury, the Rams have lost 40 percent of their offensive line this afternoon.

Sun, Sep 9, 2012

Ramathon

That's exactly it, they need time to gel. Outside of Barksdale, how much has this group seen the field in the preseason? Saffold was limited with the ankle, Wells was held out and didn't play many snaps, and we all know Long hardly played. Barring injuries, they will eventually get adjusted to playing together which will result in improved o line play.

IMO, there is a little something to the 'they need time to gel' theory. But I think it's become a convenient 'out' also. There were 3 veterans with Pro Bowl experience in they're backgrounds starting on that line yesterday. And neither Barksdale nor Saffold are anything resembling rookies.

If someone told me they needed time to gel to excel as a cohesive unit, I'd drink that Kool-Aid. No doubt. But they flat stunk up the joint yesterday. I'm not sure you could have had a worse showing putting 5 rookies out there. With the level of experience and past performance that started on the OL for the Rams yesterday, they should be able to make a respectable showing w/o a single one of them having had a single preseason snap. Not great, but not the collective turnstile matador bunch that (didn't) show up yesterday.

Quite honestly, I'm beginning to have doubts about Boudreau. We've been hearing ever since he was hired what an excellent OL coach he is. But I just don't see it. A great OL takes a bunch of JAG's and turns a line into a good one. And overall, I think he's done a decent job of that. Decent. But there's no excuse for a great OL coach to put the kind of product on the field we saw yesterday.

iced

i find it amazing that the vikings kept playing nine in the box or blitzing yet we couldn't do the same thing on offense that they did to us - screens, misdirection, quick man beaters..

i mean hell think back to the tavon touchdown last year against the colts where he motioned pre-snap...that would have been a perfect play to check too for a blitz