O-line??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Also don't forget to include the TEs when evaluating the Rams blocking. Harkey is the only consistent TE blocker, so if he's in the backfield we have no good in-line blocking TE, and if he's in-line we have no lead back. I think this is an underrated weakness. And of course no RBs can pass block apparently.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I wonder why we didn't go play action every time Minnesota had eight, nine or ten in the box?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder why we didn't go play action every time Minnesota had eight, nine or ten in the box?

i'm guessing that the vikings had no fear of our passing game, something the rams have had an issue with since bulger left.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I understand our offensive line needs time to jell. But Jell-O, our offensive line is the most experienced part of the team. It seems other teams offensive lines played fine yesterday.

Actually the offensive line was my biggest worry this off season and preseason. Even after we drafted Robinson, the offensive line worried me. Too many injury prone players. Let's count them. Wells, J. Long, Saffold, and David Joseph. Four! Everyone of the starters but Barksdale is injury prone, and the Rams pay premium prices for the trio of walking wounded -Scott Wells, Jake Long and Saffold. You would figure an experienced line would at least display veteran discipline and not jump the snap count. Too many penalties!

That being said...When Wells, Jake Long, and Saffold click, they really CLICK! I'm a huge Jake Long fan. And Saffold played great guard last year. Maybe all-pro level. Scott Wells was sneaky good last year. I don't know...The Rams have a ghost in the machine...Something I can't quite put my finger on that fudges up the works. Coaching? Maybe. It can't be a curse...Anyway, I would dig some consistency...Right when I'm about to give up, the Rams will jump up and dominate some Super Bowl bound team this year. The Rams will smack them around like a little bitch. Because when the Rams hit on all cylinders, they are truly scary to behold. I think we've all witnessed such slaughters. And that's what so frustrating about being a Ram's fan. We all know how good the Rams can be...

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Minnie was definitely going to make us beat them in the air.
It seemed like the entire defense was at the line at times.

I agree.

The Vikes lined up close because that's where the bread and butter is for the Rams, runs and short passes.

Once they controlled the Rams running ability, they pretty much controlled the offense.

They got burned early on the Quick pass and on the Cook pass because that's not what the defense was set up to stop. But unfortunately, the line did not allow for a lot of deep passing routes because they could not protect Hill long enough. It was bad enough when the Vikes didn't blitz but when they did the Rams were helpless.

I have said it many times, but if this line does nothing else they have to be able to move people for Stacy and Cunningham. If the Rams establish that they can slow down the rush and open things up.

Of course if teams play that tight it will be difficult without establishing some type of pass.

But they have to find a way.

Putting Tavon in the backfield does not seem to be the answer.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That's exactly it, they need time to gel. Outside of Barksdale, how much has this group seen the field in the preseason? Saffold was limited with the ankle, Wells was held out and didn't play many snaps, and we all know Long hardly played. Barring injuries, they will eventually get adjusted to playing together which will result in improved o line play.

maybe during preseason they should have played every body where they were projected to play instead of moving them all over.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Putting Tavon in the backfield does not seem to be the answer.[/QUOTE]

actualy i kind of like this but they need to pass out it. this would make the df either cover ta with a lb or bring in a db

Sum1

Hall of Fame
There the goes the theory that Robinson didn't need to play because of the stellar people in front of him.

The Jake Long signing has turned out to be a bad one.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
No way, I would not call the Jake Long signing bad at all. Dude is coming off of an acl injury and is obviously a little rusty. Now if this continues throughout the season I will concede that he may be a bad signing this year but he helped solidify the offensive line last year before being injured. Without him we don't even put up the 7-9 record last year. Who would have played LT last year? Saffold? How many games was he injured last year again?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
No way, I would not call the Jake Long signing bad at all. Dude is coming off of an acl injury and is obviously a little rusty. Now if this continues throughout the season I will concede that he may be a bad signing this year but he helped solidify the offensive line last year before being injured. Without him we don't even put up the 7-9 record last year. Who would have played LT last year? Saffold? How many games was he injured last year again?
Oh gee...what would we have done without that 7-9 season?

Look guys, I'm sick of wallowing in mediocrity and worse. There are certain areas on this team that we have all given passes to because of our optimism and out of desperation. But there are way to many high draft picks and talent on this team at this point to accept this. There are players on this team that I was excited about when we acquired them, but in hindsight it probably wasn't the greatest move. I'm OK with admitting that of myself. I'd like to see the team start to take some accountability on that and start fixing mistakes.

We've got Jake Long and we need to get what we can out of him for this season. But we better see Greg Robinson start getting groomed to take over that LT spot.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
These guys are a prideful bunch. I don't see this kind of performance happening again. I think after they go through the game tape, they will get it figured out. Our O-Line has something to prove this week and they will play much better against Tampa.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
These guys are a prideful bunch. I don't see this kind of performance happening again. I think after they go through the game tape, they will get it figured out. Our O-Line has something to prove this week and they will play much better against Tampa.
I actually tend to agree with you on this.

Just watching Saffold talk about the game gave me the impression that their will alone will get them so much needed improvement.

We will see!

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Look guys, I'm sick of wallowing in mediocrity and worse. There are certain areas on this team that we have all given passes to because of our optimism and out of desperation. But there are way to many high draft picks and talent on this team at this point to accept this. There are players on this team that I was excited about when we acquired them, but in hindsight it probably wasn't the greatest move. I'm OK with admitting that of myself. I'd like to see the team start to take some accountability on that and start fixing mistakes.

We've got Jake Long and we need to get what we can out of him for this season. But we better see Greg Robinson start getting groomed to take over that LT spot.

I don't think anyone is proud of the 7-9 season. Just saying it would have been way worse without the solid play at the LT position. That's you assuming that some of us are satisfied with the mediocrity. Jake long was solid last season and is coming off of a freaking acl. That's all I'm saying.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Agreed, I have never seen Saffold this pissed. I think they will get it together very soon.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

So you're sick of wallowing in mediocrity but you'd be happy with a season WORSE than 7-9?? That makes no sense! Jake Long was our best O-lineman last. He's an elite talent who's suffered with injury and is obviously rusty and not up to speed. The rest of the o-line hasn't gelled yet. We're one game into the season.

As dbrooks says - no ones proud of a 7-9 season, or a 7-7-1. But it could be worse. If we go around knee-jerking then it will be worse.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Or What?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Or else I guess we can just keep going out and getting broke down folks off the scrap heap.

What's with your smart ass attitude lately?
my attitude?

You are the one who seems to come in here lately, spouting off if they don't do this, or if they do that, YOU are sick and tired of....... my suggestion, then, don't watch!

cracengl

Rookie
I was pretty disappointed. I expected Barksdale to hold up better. Joseph wasn't very effective in run blocking. And Wells, I just don't get. He seems to be in position to make plays, but he gets to the 2nd level and just seems to whiff on blocks or is just generally ineffective when he does engage with a defender. (At least on a few of the play ran to the outside I saw). I think they'll all get better because they have to go up from here. It's just a shame that it has to happen when everything counts. There's no triple A in football.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
my attitude?

You are the one who seems to come in here lately, spouting off if they don't do this, or if they do that, YOU are sick and tired of....... my suggestion, then, don't watch!
My suggestion is to follow your own advice and put me on ignore.

Love your camp reports, CoachO...you've turned into your friend thehammer. You're attitude that you know more than everyone else is exactly why I made the screen name I did. You act like you are better than everyone and deserve to be treated as such.