O Line Love

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Carberry's been great, but I think you're giving him too much credit in some specific cases.
Havenstein was fantastic last year. People were down on him after 19.. when he was hurt. But Hav was absolutely a stud last year. Corbett is the same guy.. that's not a bad thing, but he's not any better than last year.

Allen was the improvement early, and Carberry is, obviously, doing something right with coaching the depth. Because yesterday was fucking brilliant.

I'm just saying, Havenstein was not playing at All-Pro level. Corbett has been awesome this year (maybe better than last year) and I wanted him at center. I think he could be as dominant there as guard, if we re-sign him (which is why Corbett is my number two must-sign-for-many-years behind Gay).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yes ego because he thinks he’s smarter than everyone else and allows that to affect his play calling.

In that game, there was no need for those kind of plays. Michele was killing them, ball control TOP, and defense was plenty.

Our Oline was down to an undrafted LT and second string center and they had been getting pressure on Stafford.

He needs to get himself under control and do what gives the best chance for winning.
Sorry, no.. it's not because he thinks he's smarter than everyone else.. it's because he believes in what he does and the principles he's built his career on.

The Rams were up 13-3 and he was trying to knock out the Vikings. I think he should've recognized how much Minny was struggling on O and taken a more conservative approach, but I wouldn't call that ego, at all.

He's always lost track of the run game for stretches.. and, one thing that people who are criticizing him for that right now should look at is how many carries Michel got yesterday. He was committed to running and has one reliable RB.

All of these coaches have a strong belief in what they're doing.. but McVay has always shown that he's interested in learning from others and getting better. He's got an interesting mix of humility and uber-confidence. That's why he brought Staley in... to learn about the defense that kicked his ass.

I'm just not playing on that field, sorry.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm just saying, Havenstein was not playing at All-Pro level. Corbett has been awesome this year (maybe better than last year) and I wanted him at center. I think he could be as dominant there as guard, if we re-sign him (which is why Corbett is my number two must-sign-for-many-years behind Gay).
Not to me.
PFF has them almost exactly the same.
Stafford has been sacked more than Jared was last year.

I think that having an offense that is more opened up because of Stafford makes it seem like those guys are playing much better.

TexasRam

Legend
From my perspective Havenstein has really played great this year. He is probably the best run blocking tackle in the game and has really improved as a pass blocker.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From my perspective Havenstein has really played great this year. He is probably the best run blocking tackle in the game and has really improved as a pass blocker.
Will be a shame when we cut him :D

Flint

Pro Bowler
Ego?
I'm happy to criticize McVay's play calling.. but when I see "ego," I don't get it.

McVay believes in the big play, explosive plays. He believes that's the key to winning games in the NFL. That's why his defense is geared to stop them and, hopefully, also create some turnovers.

I don't buy the "ego" thing for a second.. but I do think he needs to recognize how a game is flowing and be sensible about his play calling and I think Stafford needs to recognize when a play could end very poorly.
Sometimes it’s hard to explain why coaches do what they do, the browns were averaging 8-9 yds per carry against the Packers and Chubb was killing them, but they kept letting Baker throw it to the wrong team.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Will be a shame when we cut him :D
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I hope OS forgot the blue font. Would be ridiculous to cut Hav.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Jackson is going to be a sleeper. He could be the next starting LT for this team.
I hope.
He lined up a bunch against DJ Wonnum... who's not particularly good. I saw Jackson get beat once, badly, on a spin move late in first half.
I didn't see Zimmer throw anything at him.. no unbalanced lines.. twists.. nothing. Weird shit.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Whitworth on Jackson's performance Sunday:
"Of course, I was watching the offensive line, and I thought Dave Edwards and Alaric Jackson did a really good job filling in for me. Dave started at left tackle, but moved to left guard when Brian Allen got hurt, and Alaric played left tackle.

I knew Dave would do a good job. He’s played a lot of football. Alaric is a guy that Rob Havenstein and I have poured into all year and really think a lot of. We think he can be a really good football player, so it was awesome for me to see him go out there and execute. I’m really happy for him, and I reached out to him after the game and told him so."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Whitworth on Jackson's performance Sunday:
"Of course, I was watching the offensive line, and I thought Dave Edwards and Alaric Jackson did a really good job filling in for me. Dave started at left tackle, but moved to left guard when Brian Allen got hurt, and Alaric played left tackle.

I knew Dave would do a good job. He’s played a lot of football. Alaric is a guy that Rob Havenstein and I have poured into all year and really think a lot of. We think he can be a really good football player, so it was awesome for me to see him go out there and execute. I’m really happy for him, and I reached out to him after the game and told him so."

Awesome.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I also thought that it was hilarious that McVay called out Jackson for a game ball and said "Alaric" and others responded: "WTG A.J." Actually IMO he should stick with Alaric because it's unique, there are plenty of A.J.'s. That's why Woodrow Wilson went with this middle name "Woodrow" and not his given first name "Thomas."

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The fact that they’ve continued to play well with all the turmoil of late speaks volumes.

Carberry > Kromer

oldnotdead

Legend
Carberry has been a great hire. His tutelage of those OL players has really paid dividends last weekend.

I think we all saw the promise of A Jackson as an OT. He came in painfully raw but has shown very quick development. With another regular offseason and TC, he's got the look of a starting RT. This is why I think both Noteboom and Jackson are going to be the starting OTs next year. With all the FAs they need to sign Whitworth and Havenstein would free up close to $18M in cap. That would allow them to sign OBJ, Miller, and Michel just with what they will recoup from releasing Whit and Havenstein. The Rams have received multiple offers for Noteboom and they have flatly refused them all. There has been no question in my mind that he's been earmarked as Whitworth's replacement. I knew when they signed Jackson they wanted him as their follow-on RT to Havenstein. Jackson still has much to learn as his footwork and technique aren't quite there yet, but IMO he will get there.

We can see the value of the projected OL they assembled. That will be a battle-tested solid OL next year. They will be good going into the playoffs as well.

LT Noteboom
LG Edwards
C Shelton/Allen
RG Corbett
RT Jackson