O-Line cuts throughout the league

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I still would think that Kromer wants Rob back inside ASAP!

Again very possible because I have always felt Andrew Donnal's best position is RT as he played that at Iowa for the most part. Again I have confidence in Havenstein at RT and that has always been the position he has played, but I'm anxious to see the other moves they make before we reach the truly final 53, it there are still some moves to make.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will go you one better;
They should make it a point to draft at least one O lineman and one D lineman in the FIRST FOUR ROUNDS of every draft.
I have moved away from utilizing our first round selection on OL'ers for a ton of valid reasons, but I have no issues with making it a very high priority in trying to find blue chip OL talent from well known colleges who run NFL offenses on day 2 & 3 of the draft..

Finding young NFL ready OL'ers is near impossible in today's college environment. I would use my top First rd selections on CB's,play-making WR,TE's & Edge Rushers. You usually can get a fast return & yield from your $$$. You usually have to wait 4 to 5 yrs with OL'ers.Which makes no sense in doing since their contracts are ending by the time they get a clue.

We have already dumped off our 2014 OL'ers & still trying to get some decent play from the 2015 crop of drafted OL'ers now in their 3rd season.

A55VA6

Legend
In my opinion, we need another Guard.

I don't want to have to count on Donnal/Blythe in case of injury at guard.. (we already know Saffold will go down at some point...)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I have moved away from utilizing our first round selection on OL'ers for a ton of valid reasons, but I have no issues with making it a very high priority in trying to find blue chip OL talent from well known colleges who run NFL offenses on day 2 & 3 of the draft..

Finding young NFL ready OL'ers is near impossible in today's college environment. I would use my top First rd selections on CB's,play-making WR,TE's & Edge Rushers. You usually can get a fast return & yield from your $$$. You usually have to wait 4 to 5 yrs with OL'ers.Which makes no sense in doing since their contracts are ending by the time they get a clue.

We have already dumped off our 2014 OL'ers & still trying to get some decent play from the 2015 crop of drafted OL'ers now in their 3rd season.
Just because the Rams don't know how to draft O line doesn't mean that you shouldn't draft OL with high picks.
It just means that they were incompetent.
If you do it correctly left tackle should be the only one you take with a first-rounder but if there is a guy who's going to dominate at his position, like a Frederick and he is there at the end of the first round and you have that need you should absolutely take him.
There's no tried-and-true 100% way of drafting or of team building.

However the first consideration should always be a strong O line.

In this priority;
LT - do you have one? If not you'd better get one.
C - extremely important.
RT - if you don't have good tackles you can say goodbye to your pass game.
LG - having three good lineman in a row, Left Tackle, Left Guard and Center can do wonders for a rushing game.
RG - the last piece of the puzzle.

In the offseason you should always evaluate your O line and attempt to replace the weakest link, even if it's someone you have to develop.

A weak link in your O line is always where the defense is going to attack.

No part of a team is as important of a unit as the O line.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just because the Rams don't know how to draft O line doesn't mean that you shouldn't draft OL with high picks.
It just means that they were incompetent.
If you do it correctly left tackle should be the only one you take with a first-rounder but if there is a guy who's going to dominate at his position, like a Frederick and he is there at the end of the first round and you have that need you should absolutely take him.
There's no tried-and-true 100% way of drafting or of team building.

However the first consideration should always be a strong O line.

In this priority;
LT - do you have one? If not you'd better get one.
C - extremely important.
RT - if you don't have good tackles you can say goodbye to your pass game.
LG - having three good lineman in a row, Left Tackle, Left Guard and Center can do wonders for a rushing game.
RG - the last piece of the puzzle.

In the offseason you should always evaluate your O line and attempt to replace the weakest link, even if it's someone you have to develop.

A weak link in your O line is always where the defense is going to attack.

No part of a team is as important of a unit as the O line.

From all accounts it looks like another 30 or so NFL teams don't draft OL'ers that well either its not just the Rams here...... in comparison to the fast dividends that a team usually gets from other types of positions particularly defensive. So I will have to disagree with you on this one point my OL Ram friend. Big But here....what we sure have no differences of thoughts is just how of a high importance the OL should be.(y). My first priority when it come to this future Ram OLTt is @ the LT position as usual.

P.S. I was a big advocate of drafting that Dallas center years ago too.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wonder if the Rams think there is anything with TJ Clemmins. He struggled with Minny and the move to guard was a fail, but I really liked him coming out of Pitt
He just looked terrible in the senior bowl practices....I mean, god-awful

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Of the 4 teams above the rams in claiming players only 1 took an OL. Jacksonville took OT William Poehis from Chicago. Seems the rams got the interior lineman they wanted. More players will be waived with those claimed, could be another move made.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Crazy how he just fell off the cliff
images
image001.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams 2017 OL

LT- Whitworth/ Williams
LG- Saffold/ A.Neary
OC- Sullivan/ Blythe/ Eldrenkamp(PS)
RG- Brown/ JJ Diel
RT- Havenstein/ Donnal/ Dunn(PS)

Here's our 12 OL'ers signed. Looks good enough @ the moment but with two new additions its unclear how good this OL will be.

LT- Andrew Whitworth 35-12
OC- John Sullivan 32-9
LG- Rodger Saffold 29-8
RT/RG- Rob Havenstein 25-3
RT/RG- Andrew Donnal 25-3
RG- Jamon Brown 24-3
LT- Darrell Williams 24-3
OC- Austin Blythe 24-2

OC- Aaron Neary 24-R
OG. J.J Dielman 23-R
OC/OG- Jake Eldrenkamp 23-R
RT- Micheal Dunn 22-R

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams 2017 OL

LT- Whitworth/ Williams
LG- Saffold/ A.Neary
RG- Brown/ JJ Diel

FWIW's Snead stated that they usually dress 7 Offensive Linemen on gameday, the starting 5 and two others, which I would think you dress 8, however, I'm guessing the two they will be dressing besides the Fab Five will be Donnal & Blythe. Donnal can play G/T & Blythe C/G besides Saffold's ability to play tackle as well, if something happens to the starting tackles.

Also @OldSchool & @LACHAMP46 and many others, there I posted something positive about Blythe, guess I cannot forgive the kid for having William Jefferson Clinton's true surname before adoption.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Looks good enough @ the moment but with two new additions its unclear how good this OL will be.
I think it will be much improved.
Top half of the league.
But thin, so injuries could be a problem because there could be a big fall off.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rams 2017 OL

LT- Whitworth/ Williams
LG- Saffold/ A.Neary
RG- Brown/ JJ Diel

Here's our 12 OL'ers signed. Looks good enough @ the moment but with two new additions its unclear how good this OL will be.

LT- Andrew Whitworth 35-12
OC- John Sullivan 32-9
LG- Rodger Saffold 29-8
RT/RG- Rob Havenstein 25-3
RT/RG- Andrew Donnal 25-3
RG- Jamon Brown 24-3
LT- Darrell Williams 24-3
OC- Austin Blythe 24-2

OC- Aaron Neary 24-R
OG. J.J Dielman 23-R
OC/OG- Jake Eldrenkamp 23-R
RT- Micheal Dunn 22-R
I didn't know Blythe was that young.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
there I posted something positive about Blythe
I share your concerns...I can't see the Colts dumping any able bodied lineman with talent with all the problems they have blocking...

It would appear that Snead & his men have a connection @ Eastern Washington with the utilization of their 3rd & 4th draft 2017 selections from this same school.
I kinda want them to stay in the SEC...hey, try try again....(y)