Numbers which may only interest me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
I can be a numbers nerd at times, but I love stats. Some interesting ones (to me) about the Rams so far this season:

We are dead last in offensive plays run by teams who have played all four games. 50 plays per game (and only 21 of those are runs).

We are 30th in time of possess at 26:19 per game. Leaves our D on the field a lot.

We are dead last in 1st downs per game (about 4 fewer than #31).

The emergence of Gurley will likely improve all three of these stats.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I can be a numbers nerd at times, but I love stats. Some interesting ones (to me) about the Rams so far this season:

We are dead last in offensive plays run by teams who have played all four games. 50 plays per game (and only 21 of those are runs).

We are 30th in time of possess at 26:19 per game. Leaves our D on the field a lot.

Those are interesting #'s Stel. What really makes you wonder is how good this team can be with even a middle of the road offense.
You have to believe, as you stated, Gurley is about to change all that.
Because when you can keep the chains moving on the ground it does so many things. Keeps the D fresh, wears down the opposing D and most importantly opens up play action, screens and the middle of the field.

Going to be fun to watch this entire offense grow from here.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
the cardinal fans thought they saw some numbers too that would surely give them a victory. they were posting the passing numbers and completion numbers against the Rams D. basically saying QBs complete 80% of their passes and put up nice yardage numbers. what the morons failed to see is that they aren't getting TDs or big chunks of yards. GW has figured out exactly how to play against high flying offenses. keep a little soft coverage to make sure nothing ever gets behind them and let the front 7 do what they do. and if/when they get into the redzone they tighten up and give them nothing. we just played 2 of the most high octane offenses back to back and the D gave them nothing. next test is Rodgers. if we shut him down and also win then the talking heads will be praising the entire Rams D as the best of the best. all 11 of them

…..

Legend
Our defense is still being considered "stingy" but we're giving up yardage like crazy.

We must be leading the league in TD % allowed per red zone appearance and forcing all these field goals probably looks good on some other stat sheet.

Still, we can improve our time of possession with a few more 3 and outs created by the defense. We're letting the opponent hold onto the ball for 6 and 7 minute drives.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Here are some more:

Tavon has been targeted 19 times this year. 14 of those have been completions for 138 yards.

Tavon also has 10 carries for 77 yards this year.

The Rams average almost 7.5 yards per play where they even try to get the ball to Tavon and they average almost 9 per play when they get it in his hands.

Gurley has 25 carries for 155 yds and 3 catches (on 3 targets) for another 20 yards.

The Rams average 6.25 yards per play when they put the ball in Gurley's hands.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another interesting stat - The Rams lead the league in thumping the NFC West.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Running game will definitely help, and the offense overall needs to do better on converting third downs and sustaining drives. But the defense can do a better job getting off the field as well.

I agree that Williams is doing what he has to against the opponents he's had the past two weeks by limiting the big plays. But I am sure behind closed doors in the defensive meetings they are discussing better execution to get the F off the field on their own power.

More punts back to the offense will result in more runs by Gurley and tiring the opposing defense as well. It all works together. As this offense grows into whatever they're gonna be the team model for a while at least might look like big plays (big runs by Gurley or downfield passes) from the offense to get scores while the defense does their thing. The offensive talent right now favors that, so it might be a while before we see a "control" offense, probably won't happen until this young OL fully arrives whenever that is.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, we cannot win consistently unless the offense get better, but I absolutely believe it will as the season goes on. Did Quick get any snaps yesterday???

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yeah, we cannot win consistently unless the offense get better, but I absolutely believe it will as the season goes on. Did Quick get any snaps yesterday???

He played 6 snaps - and I think most (or maybe all of them) came on the last drives when we were in run only mode - so I assume his blocking isn't what is holding him back.

RamWoodie

Legend

Well...let's look at the "NUANCES" of such a conclusion:

1. The Rams probably have the youngest OLine in the league...but those guys are learning and getting better, their worst game has been against the Skins where Foles was under constant pressure...BUT...that *MAY* be the game that taught them a lot.

2. A young OLine is going to *most likely* affect the passing game because that's where they see the most sophisticated pass rush strategies. The QB has to be on top of his game and make good reads with his WRs.

3. Even in the run game you're going to have problems with a young OLine. Yesterday, in the second half the coaching staff decided to use Harkey and Cook to beef up the run blocking in the 2nd half. That was the HUGE difference that helped G2 to "cut loose".

Here's my point...the Rams MADE THE RIGHT ADJUSTMENT and the Cards had NO ANSWER.

That's what happened yesterday my friend...so while I understand "loving stats"...you have to look at the reason why the stats got better.

Next week it's Green Bay...and once again..it will be a game of adjustments. When you look at stats...you also have to go to the REASON the stats got better!

As has been said...it's a game of adjustments. As I watched the game one thing I didn't like about the Rams defensive adjustments is they ran a lot of 3-4 fronts. They did that to get more pass coverage...but I think Williams needed to just go with an old fashioned "dime defense with JL in the middle. I say that because you have Barron and McLeod, who can hit like linebackers while you still have four pass rushers to get after Palmer.

I could be wrong...but I think Williams bought into the 3-4 front a bit too much for my taste.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well...let's look at the "NUANCES" of such a conclusion:

I agree with most of what you say. However, I drew no conclusion, I merely posted some stats I found interesting.

RamWoodie

Legend
I agree with most of what you say. However, I drew no conclusion, I merely posted some stats I found interesting.
I'm on board with you bro...the only point I'm making is looking into *WHY* stats change...it too...is fascinating!!!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree.

Clearly, the defense is on solid ground (and, no, I'm not freaking out about Ogletree... Barron will fit that slot or Bates).

Special Teams is doing very well.

The offense. Yes, the second half Sunday was exciting... what with Gurley exploding and Foles connecting and the Oline holding up pretty well.

I've been saying this for some time now... if the offense could score between 21-24 PPG, this team can do deep into the playoffs.

In 2013, when the offense scored more than 21 points, they went 7-1.
In 2014, they went 3-4 when they scored 21 or more. In the losses, had they score more than 21 points, they would have accumulated 2 more wins.

Just average 21-24 PPG and the rest will take care of itself.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yep, I said it before preseason even began. If the offense can score 24PPG, we win 10+ games.

Athos

Legend
Ugly numbers and yes The Todd should improve them, especially ToP and 1st downs.

Our offensive yards allowed has to improve tho. We suck on 3rd downs way too much for an elite D unit.

FrankenRam

Starter
Having a back like Gurley definitely makes a difference.

I would alter that just slightly...Having a playmaker like Gurley definitely makes a difference.

Kinda shows how desperately the team has been in need of such for some time.

And let's hope Austin's performance turns out to be a breakout game rather than an aberration.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We are 4-0 when Tavon scores a touchdown in the first half. So obviously involving him early in the game has an effect on the outcome. Who would have thought?

…..

Legend
We are 4-0 when Tavon scores a touchdown in the first half. So obviously involving him early in the game has an effect on the outcome. Who would have thought?

In 2.25 years Tavon Austin has only scored 4 times in the 1st half.

Stats breed other stats lol

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree that Williams is doing what he has to against the opponents he's had the past two weeks by limiting the big plays. But I am sure behind closed doors in the defensive meetings they are discussing better execution to get the F off the field on their own power.
This....D should be way ahead and carry the O....So this all day long Merlin...6 min drives? With Aaron Donald on the field? Next to Quinn? C'mon, this is ludicrous? say it like Mike Tyson....LOL

I could be wrong...but I think Williams bought into the 3-4 front a bit too much for my taste.
Too many...with all the D-Linemen we have? I get he usually sends a blitzer too, but still...show 4, blitz a db, and drop a lineman....still rush 4 people every effing time...Don't let Rodgers sit back there and pick us apart...never rush 3 people...never...