Numbers aside, Jeff Fisher sees an improving Rams' offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher opened up his weekly, day-after session with the media by praising the offense. He touched on the fact that they gained 102 yards on the ground and 243 through the air in Sunday's 30-19 home loss to the Buffalo Bills, accounting for a season-high 345 total yards. The Rams converted 23 first downs to the Bills' 15, ran the ball 29 times, and held the ball for 35 minutes, 34 seconds, Fisher volunteered.

"That’s a formula for success," he added. "That’s a formula for winning, and one would expect to do so."

But here's the thing: The Rams' offense is still the least-productive unit in the NFL, ranked 32nd among the 32 teams in yards per game.

The Rams were likely encouraged on Sunday by the performance of RB Todd Gurley, who gained 108 total yards. Keith Birmingham/Zuma Press/Icon Sportswire
So, Fisher is pleased with his offense?

"I’m not pleased with where the offense is at," Fisher clarified. "I’m not pleased where the football team is at -- offense, defense or special teams. The total rankings are based on the last five games, and we had some difficulty the first two, three, or four, with respect to total yards. So, we’re going to have to have a 500-, 600-yard game to jump in to the middle of the pack. It’s going to take some time. To me, the wins are going to offset that. That’s the way it goes."

The Rams remain a respectable 3-2 in spite of Sunday's loss and in spite of the overall shortcomings of their offense.

They rank within the bottom five in the NFL in rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, first downs per game and third-down conversion rate. Their star running back, Todd Gurley, has the NFL's lowest yards per carry at 2.74. Their starting quarterback, Case Keenum, has the NFL's worst Total QBR at 33.0, but Fisher still doesn't sound like a man who is ready to make a change at the position, because he sees an offense that is upward trending under him.

So, hold off on Jared Goff.

For now, at least.

Fisher said he wouldn't be against playing Goff late in a game when his Rams trail or lead by a wide margin in order to get him some reps. But that's all it would be at this point. Asked about Goff's progress in practice, Fisher said he's "doing fine. He has a good feel for what we're doing. I think he's improving. He's learned a lot, and with each passing week, he's getting better."

The Rams did a nice job of getting Tavon Austin involved early, and Gurley broke off a couple of big runs against a defense that didn't stack the box as aggressively as others. Keenum also completed 21-of-31 passes and averaged a very respectable 8.7 yards per attempt, but he made a costly mistake on a pick-six that resulted in the game-winning touchdown.

The Rams wound up with only one touchdown in that game, despite moving into enemy territory on seven of their first nine possessions. Their red zone efficiency -- the amount of touchdowns relative to the amount of drives in the red zone -- is 44.4 percent, fifth-worst in the NFL and a mark Fisher said is "not where it should be."

Still, Fisher sees progress in his offense.

"You can take the 32nd in the league and write all you want about it," Fisher said, "but this offense is improving.”

Some additional notes from Monday's availability ...

• Fisher still doesn't have an update on cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who exited Sunday's game early with an injury to his right ankle. The team is still waiting on the results of additional testing, but ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the injury is believed to be a sprain and may not be as serious as initially believed.

• Right guard Cody Wichmann, who also left early, does not have a high ankle sprain, Fisher said. He will be questionable for this Sunday's game in Detroit against the Lions. The three starting defensive linemen who did not play -- Robert Quinn,Will Hayes and Michael Brockers -- are day-to-day.

• Regarding the fake punt from his own 23-yard line, which eliminated any chance the Rams had of winning? "I'd do it all over again if I had the opportunity," Fisher said. "They made the play, we didn't. But that's the way we are wired. That's our fabric, and that's taken us a long way."
[www.espn.com]

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And begin lame, easy attack on "taken us a long way" in 3....2.....1

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Fisher said he wouldn't be against playing Goff late in a game when his Rams trail or lead by a wide margin in order to get him some reps. But that's all it would be at this point. Asked about Goff's progress in practice, Fisher said he's "doing fine. He has a good feel for what we're doing. I think he's improving. He's learned a lot, and with each passing week, he's getting better."

To state the only way he gets into a game is when they are either winning or losing by big margins. :banghead:

Some additional notes from Monday's availability ...

Regarding the fake punt from his own 23-yard line, which eliminated any chance the Rams had of winning? "I'd do it all over again if I had the opportunity," Fisher said. "They made the play, we didn't. But that's the way we are wired. That's our fabric, and that's taken us a long way."

Question: Why are they "wired" when it comes to defense and special teams, yet not so much with the offense? If they were "wired," he would have gone for it on 4th down rather than kick the FG. To me there is a double standard with his coaching. Also, how far has the fabric of being "Wired" taken this team? I just can't believe some of the statements he makes. Just makes me lose my mind. :giveup:

Last edited:

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Getting increasingly difficult to take what Coach Fisher says seriously, and I've been on his side for almost all of his time here (this year becoming the exception). Respect him as a guy, sort of, although he seems a lot sneakier and self-serving than is publicly said (which might mean I'm just reading him wrong, meh).

However, at this point, it really feels like, despite all I've wanted to believe, he just doesn't know what to do, or how to fix it, and is just hopeful that things (execution, play design) click. I don't want my coach to be hopeful. I want him to have a plan, and take deliberated action. Not half-measures. Not adjustments. Knocking out the walls and remodeling from the inside. I know there will be some who say, "Well, it's too late to massively overhaul..." eh. Not really. You install a limited amount of new plays. Simple ones based off of simple formations. Plays that let your players use their ability to succeed. Maybe for a week or two, it's really basic, but you'll add more as you go. What matters most is that the players have a chance to make a play, and right now, it doesn't feel like they do. Not often enough, at any rate. Too often there's a contrivance that fails to fire, a blocking scheme that fails to block, a set of routes that go nowhere.

And Coach Fisher doesn't sound like he knows what to do about it. Or sounds like he's unwilling to alter his approach, or go against what are proving to be flawed philosophies. He defends, justifies, makes excuses. And he hopes. He desperately hopes he's done enough, and the players will just go win their damn games like they're supposed to.

I don't know. This is one fan's disillusion and imperfect perspective. I'm always pulling for our coaches and players, our team. Just wish I felt any amount of confidence in this team's offensive direction.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
The offense has improved from worst in the league to worst in the league. Just now we are closer to having the second to worst offense in the league instead of the worst. At this rate maybe we can improve to the 31st or even 30th ranked offense by the end of the season. Keep it up Fisher we all have confidence in your ability to fix this offense.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Getting increasingly difficult to take what Coach Fisher says seriously, and I've been on his side for almost all of his time here (this year becoming the exception). Respect him as a guy, sort of, although he seems a lot sneakier and self-serving than is publicly said (which might mean I'm just reading him wrong, meh).

However, at this point, it really feels like, despite all I've wanted to believe, he just doesn't know what to do, or how to fix it, and is just hopeful that things (execution, play design) click. I don't want my coach to be hopeful. I want him to have a plan, and take deliberated action. Not half-measures. Not adjustments. Knocking out the walls and remodeling from the inside. I know there will be some who say, "Well, it's too late to massively overhaul..." eh. Not really. You install a limited amount of new plays. Simple ones based off of simple formations. Plays that let your players use their ability to succeed. Maybe for a week or two, it's really basic, but you'll add more as you go. What matters most is that the players have a chance to make a play, and right now, it doesn't feel like they do. Not often enough, at any rate. Too often there's a contrivance that fails to fire, a blocking scheme that fails to block, a set of routes that go nowhere.

And Coach Fisher doesn't sound like he knows what to do about it. Or sounds like he's unwilling to alter his approach, or go against what are proving to be flawed philosophies. He defends, justifies, makes excuses. And he hopes. He desperately hopes he's done enough, and the players will just go win their damn games like they're supposed to.

I don't know. This is one fan's disillusion and imperfect perspective. I'm always pulling for our coaches and players, our team. Just wish I felt any amount of confidence in this team's offensive direction.
One of the more thoughtful and well written posts. For me, the disillusion absconded my kool-aid conscious after the 49ers game with absolutely no point of return, at least as it pertains to Jeff Fisher and the offensive side of the ball.

Sadly, that won't put an end to my recursions of hope anew each year, but after the fifth year the Fisher cycle is laid to rest in my mind.

He's played his part and facilitated the move. He even gambled with his linebacker and secondary depth in an attempt to improve the offense this year, which is a move that I think still could prove a disaster yet to come.

That said, I can't agree that it is time for a complete overhaul this year. To me, that comes with the coaching change next year. Until then, they'll continue to improve the offense by evaluating the details of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So after 4 pre season games & 5 regular season games the Rams offense has finally improved towards the top of the pond scum pile, even though we are at the bottom of the pond...... does it still mean we are pond scum:thinking:?:censored:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
After games 1 and 2, there was really nowhere to go but up. I'm all for improvement, but c'mon Fish, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back over there.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
One of the more thoughtful and well written posts. For me, the disillusion absconded my kool-aid conscious after the 49ers game with absolutely no point of return, at least as it pertains to Jeff Fisher and the offensive side of the ball.

Sadly, that won't put an end to my recursions of hope anew each year, but after the fifth year the Fisher cycle is laid to rest in my mind.

He's played his part and facilitated the move. He even gambled with his linebacker and secondary depth in an attempt to improve the offense this year, which is a move that I think still could prove a disaster yet to come.

That said, I can't agree that it is time for a complete overhaul this year. To me, that comes with the coaching change next year. Until then, they'll continue to improve the offense by evaluating the details of the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'd like to see them bring in a new set of eyes - there are 2 guys on the street who began the year as NFL OCs - bring one in as a consultant. Brainstorm on play design - break it down from an X and O perspective on why the running game isn't getting any daylight out there. Its not all about poor execution - the coaching is getting beaten on the offensive side of the ball week in and week out. Bring in some reinforcements!

TexasRam

Legend
Tavon's route running and Quick's catching the ball in traffic show improvement. So there is that.

The inability to audible out of stacked boxes is still the primary reason our offense and running game is putrid.

TexasRam

Legend
Mike Martz - take what the defense gives us.

Jeff Fisher- run up the middle. Avoid turnovers. Let our defense win it.

Ass backwards

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Despite Keenum's limitations on this offense. I agree the passing offense has improved tremendously, having Groh was an excellent addition to our offensive coaching staff.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
And begin lame, easy attack on "taken us a long way" in 3....2.....1
Thanks for setting the bar low, Stu. I can do that. It's the cerebral, uphill attacks I have no stomach for.

:rant:Hey Fisher, you big joke! Your gutsy gamble might take you all the way to suckville! Thanks a bunch. :headexplosion:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
After games 1 and 2, there was really nowhere to go but up. I'm all for improvement, but c'mon Fish, don't break your arm patting yourself on the back over there.

yea one time I would like to hear fisher say we got out coached and the staff is going to do what ever it takes to turn this around.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Mike Martz - take what the defense gives us.

Jeff Fisher- run up the middle. Avoid turnovers. Let our defense win it.

Ass backwards

Well I'm still a believer of Scott Linahan . He had SJ39 almost break the all record for yards. '

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When the offense isn't ranked 32nd in the league I'll consider it to be improving.
I'm sorry but, for me to believe we are 32nd in the League I would have to believe we are worse than Cleveland, or any 1-3 or 1-4 team, and I don't!!