Now that the draft is over, should/will the Rams dip a toe back into the free agency pool?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I've been a Ram fan most of my life, since 1958, and since that time i've never seen a defensive tackle win by himself. I love watching AD play for the Rams, but love watching the Rams more, trading him would be the best for the team.
train
You'd have to consider it as a possibility if his contract demands are too high.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I've been a Ram fan most of my life, since 1958, and since that time i've never seen a defensive tackle win by himself. I love watching AD play for the Rams, but love watching the Rams more, trading him would be the best for the team.
train

The rams Superbowl train is rolling and picking up speed. If they at least make the Superbowl, all the big moves this year were worth it.

Trading AD after saying all the things they've said, and more importantly not having AD here, would be a serious blow to the team chemistry and mentality. Who are we going to trade for anyway? Future draft picks dont help this season and we've already pushed our chips in for the year. I Can't even think of any other players I'd prefer over AD, given our roster, and I don't see who would make this team better this year. There's basically no logical reason to bring in a replacement for AD.

Suh would also feel betrayed because he was brought in under the context that AD would be here, thus providing a great opportunity for him to have a career year, or at least better than last season.

Other players would become Leary of trusting the front office. They know its a business but at some point the executives can become heartless dicks, and there would be no way of sugar coating it.

If the rams dont win it all this year, at least it wont be because they didnt do everything they could. If they trade AD and dont win it, they'll never live it down.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
uncle rico might be the only one that could
latest

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rather lose Cooks, Joyner, Havenstein, et all than Donald though

I am really wrestling with the thought of that. And... I think most of us right now feel as you do, until it starts happening like that.

I can't leave @nighttrain on the track alone on this one. Part of me can't help but think what he's thinking.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald + 1 JAG > 2 middle of road/good type players

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I am really wrestling with the thought of that. And... I think most of us right now feel as you do, until it starts happening like that.

I can't leave @nighttrain on the track alone on this one. Part of me can't help but think what he's thinking.

Picture this; the ghost of Superbowl future appears in your bedroom at 2 am. Its Reggie white and be says he's taking you to the new stadium during the Superbowl celebration in 2020 to show you a rams future after trading AD.

In an instant, you're at the top of the stadium and the first thing you see is the flashing message across every jumbo screen saying "3peat Superbowl Champs!!!"

The crowd is screaming and you begin jumping up and down.

We won! We won!, you scream. "We're a dynasty! Suck it, espn!"

Then, as you're basking in the glory, you look down at the field...full of dejected jaguars...and jubilant niners.

Makes me sick just typing the words.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
BAG A PEANUTS. WERE UP Against the cap
Many may not fully realize how on target that bad of peanuts was. Oh were the peanuts boiled, dry roasted or green? Salary cap room is holding steady @ only $2,7 million buys you.......
Naw....we straight
Yes for this season anyway as AD did get a sizeable raise to 6.9 million for the 2018 season or were you speaking of something else:whistle:.
Should/will the Rams make some contract adjustments, freeing up cap space to make a couple more bargain free agent signings for depth at other positions: Safety/ DT/ Veteran TE?
Have any suggestions on who you would consider on the Ram roster that could be used to "freeing up cap space"?
Hopefully the next move is announcing the Aaron Donald extension....
That would be great but would that mean that the Rams would have to come up with a sizeable amount of 2018 Cap funds? Is AD a DT or DE? Franchise Tag for DE in 2018 was $17.1 million & the DT was $13.9 million.
Did you have to throw our very good RT in that statement...Lets keep that Tackle throw in our two 2019 two UFA OG's instead ? I see safety Lamarcus Joyner as the top 2019 UFA to depart ...if he does not sign a new future long term contract soon. The tagged salary cap hit for a safety @ $11.3 million @ present & is our highest priced DB ...Now appears way out of bounds now that we have since added 3 all pros & ex all pros Talib, Peters & Shields. Think LJ has a clue?

fearsomefour

Legend
Havenstein is C+, Joyner will start having injury issues (I hope I am wrong, but I think it is sort of unavoidable) and Cooks is a WR....most "elite" WR are overvalued in my opinion.
So, I would say I agree with you.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you account for the eventual change to the 53 man roster on our cap we'll have a little over $5 million in cap space right now.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If you account for the eventual change to the 53 man roster on our cap we'll have a little over $5 million in cap space right now.

According to sportract, Bowman's worth is a 2 year 9.9 mil deal. Hmmm

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I agree with Farr. A team would have to offer 5 1st round picks, or their next 3 years worth of draft picks before I (the Rams) would (should) even consider it. That would be the starting point for negotiations.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be great but would that mean that the Rams would have to come up with a sizeable amount of 2018 Cap funds? Is AD a DT or DE? Franchise Tag for DE in 2018 was $17.1 million & the DT was $13.9 million.
I'm not the cap Guru for sure but certainly believe that they could extend him and structure the deal in such a way his cap hit is not unlike what it currently is. For 2018 at least
As for the 2nd question, its a two part answer. If its a contract negotiation its based on him being the best defensive player in the league, regardless of position. If it comes down to whether he's DE or DT, it means we are in franchise tag conversation and that would likely mean that his contract extension talks are over, and tenure with the team is closer to being over than it is tenured. (I would hope they would classify him as DE or that would really be a bad situation)