Now that the draft is over, should/will the Rams dip a toe back into the free agency pool?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was not aware of that.
Good stuff, tomorrow is like Round #2 of free agency then....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Navarro Bowman hadn't been signed, and if signing him meant pushing a 3rd comp pick to a 5th or 6th would make it worth the wait

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems as though hes not in demand. Bring him in for cheap and see what he can do.
See what who can do? Dez? Makes no sense for the Rams. They’ll have a hard enough time getting enough targets for Kupp/Woods/Cooks much less enough targets for Dez to show anything.
No upside to bringing him in

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
RANK15
CB
BASHAUDBREELANDSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Breeland is streaky, but few young cornerbacks with his talent get to free agency in their prime. He was scheduled to sign a three-year deal with the Panthers, but he failed his physical and won't sign with the team.
RANK19
WR
DEZBRYANTSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Dez Bryant lacks the quickness and explosion that once made him a perennial top-five playmaker at his position. Still, he is bound to find a new home sooner than later.
RANK26
SS
KENNYVACCAROSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Billed as a hybrid safety-corner-linebacker early in his career, Vaccaro has never lived up to his potential in New Orleans. Will he find a system that hides his coverage weaknesses and plays to his strengths?
RANK27
SS
ERICREIDSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Can Reid continue to play with abandon as a back-end enforcer with concussion concerns, a torn biceps and a PCL sprain on his medical chart?
RANK35
DE
JOHNATHANHANKINSSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:A 325-pound behemoth, Hankins was stellar against the run last season. He's a casualty of the Colts' transition to a 4-3 defense under new coordinator Matt Eberflus.
RANK60
FS
TREBOSTONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:A breakout season on the field and in front of the camera in 2017 should help Boston avoid the type of low-cost one-year deal he signed last April.
RANK72
MLB
NAVORROBOWMANSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:How much value does Bowman have as a soon-to-be 30-year-old, two-down thumper in a pass-heavy league?
RANK76
SS
TYVONBRANCHSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Defensive coordinator James Bettcher knew just how to use Branch's ability to cover tight ends. Don't be surprised if Branch follows Bettcher to Big Blue.
RANK77
RB
ADRIANPETERSONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Behind a tattered O-line, Peterson showed power, explosiveness and lateral agility in the second half of last season. At this point, though, he has limited value as a one-dimensional power back in a pass-heavy league.
RANK85
DB
DOMINIQUERODGERS-CROMARTIESTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Surprisingly durable, DRC was still providing quality snaps for the Giants last season. He's a fine one-year option.
RANK89
QB
COLINKAEPERNICKSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:While Kaepernick straddles the line between talented backup quarterback and potential starter, it was crazy to see his talent fall out of the league last season. It will take an ownership group and coaching staff aligned in the decision to bring him in.
RANK92
WR
ERICDECKERSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Underwhelming in his Nashville debut, Decker might have left his playmaking ability on the operating table last offseason.
RANK93
ILB
JERRELLFREEMANSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Freeman has been a solid starter when he suits up, but he's coming off a torn pectoral after serving PED suspensions in each of the past two seasons.
RANK100
ILB
DERRICKJOHNSONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Johnson held up remarkably well for a 35-year-old coming off a torn Achilles in 2017; he was just overpaid in Kansas City.
RANK100
RB
DEMARCOMURRAYSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:DET, SEA, MIAMurray's season-long hamstrings woes dragged down the Titans' O in 2017. Has he already used his allotment of bounce-back seasons? At age 30, he could be on his last legs.
RANK101
QB
JAYCUTLERSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:He probably doesn't want to return as a backup and teams probably shouldn't pay him like a starter. To the booth he goes?

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
You forgot the blue font....
RANK15
CB
BASHAUDBREELANDSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Breeland is streaky, but few young cornerbacks with his talent get to free agency in their prime. He was scheduled to sign a three-year deal with the Panthers, but he failed his physical and won't sign with the team.
RANK19
WR
DEZBRYANTSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Dez Bryant lacks the quickness and explosion that once made him a perennial top-five playmaker at his position. Still, he is bound to find a new home sooner than later.
RANK26
SS
KENNYVACCAROSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Billed as a hybrid safety-corner-linebacker early in his career, Vaccaro has never lived up to his potential in New Orleans. Will he find a system that hides his coverage weaknesses and plays to his strengths?
RANK27
SS
ERICREIDSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Can Reid continue to play with abandon as a back-end enforcer with concussion concerns, a torn biceps and a PCL sprain on his medical chart?
RANK35
DE
JOHNATHANHANKINSSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:A 325-pound behemoth, Hankins was stellar against the run last season. He's a casualty of the Colts' transition to a 4-3 defense under new coordinator Matt Eberflus.
RANK60
FS
TREBOSTONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:A breakout season on the field and in front of the camera in 2017 should help Boston avoid the type of low-cost one-year deal he signed last April.
RANK72
MLB
NAVORROBOWMANSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:How much value does Bowman have as a soon-to-be 30-year-old, two-down thumper in a pass-heavy league?
RANK76
SS
TYVONBRANCHSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Defensive coordinator James Bettcher knew just how to use Branch's ability to cover tight ends. Don't be surprised if Branch follows Bettcher to Big Blue.
RANK77
RB
ADRIANPETERSONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Behind a tattered O-line, Peterson showed power, explosiveness and lateral agility in the second half of last season. At this point, though, he has limited value as a one-dimensional power back in a pass-heavy league.
RANK85
DB
DOMINIQUERODGERS-CROMARTIESTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Surprisingly durable, DRC was still providing quality snaps for the Giants last season. He's a fine one-year option.
RANK89
QB
COLINKAEPERNICKSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:While Kaepernick straddles the line between talented backup quarterback and potential starter, it was crazy to see his talent fall out of the league last season. It will take an ownership group and coaching staff aligned in the decision to bring him in.
RANK92
WR
ERICDECKERSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Underwhelming in his Nashville debut, Decker might have left his playmaking ability on the operating table last offseason.
RANK93
ILB
JERRELLFREEMANSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Freeman has been a solid starter when he suits up, but he's coming off a torn pectoral after serving PED suspensions in each of the past two seasons.
RANK100
ILB
DERRICKJOHNSONSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:Johnson held up remarkably well for a 35-year-old coming off a torn Achilles in 2017; he was just overpaid in Kansas City.
RANK100
RB
DEMARCOMURRAYSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:DET, SEA, MIAMurray's season-long hamstrings woes dragged down the Titans' O in 2017. Has he already used his allotment of bounce-back seasons? At age 30, he could be on his last legs.
RANK101
QB
JAYCUTLERSTATUSUFA
INTERESTED TEAMS:He probably doesn't want to return as a backup and teams probably shouldn't pay him like a starter. To the booth he goes?

Great post! Is there any information or rumors of the Rams being interested in any of these players? And, I certainly don't have any clue about the Rams current salary cap situation (Other, than supposedly, they don't have much available at this time) but can they really afford any of these players?

dang

Legend
I wouldn't mind bringing in a vet EDGE and SS for a chance to make the 53. We could use the leadership and backup support..

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think that the coaches are “pretty happy” with the current roster, but I also think that there will be some tweaking before opening day.

If I were a player near the bottom of my position group I would be somewhat nervous. Just the nature of the offseason with 4 months still to go before opening day.
There are a bunch of players at the bottom of their position groups right now.

I've been a Ram fan most of my life, since 1958, and since that time i've never seen a defensive tackle win by himself. I love watching AD play for the Rams, but love watching the Rams more, trading him would be the best for the team.
train
It really depends on what are his demands. Making him the highest paid defender makes sense if they can structure his contract around up coming contracts and an increased cap if it indeed increases.

While the position historically doesn’t deserve the kind of jack we would have to pay him, AD is not just a DT to this team. He is a beast on defense period and makes our D hum.

I think at this point, we will either extend him or he will be traded before next year’s draft.

Right after the draft, when all the good free agents are already signed?

I could have seen trading him for a mess of picks right before free agency, so somebody could be signed and a bunch of rookies drafted. It would have to have been the right trade, but nobody should be untradeable - it's a team sport. But trading him now guarantees that the Rams will be worse in 2018 than they would have been with him.
This. Totally agree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As to whether to look for more FAs.... hell yes if it will improve our team. I do think they will need to do some restructuring to allow that to happen though. But I honestly don’t know how caps can be manipulated like I’m sure Demoff does.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i agree that 1 player doesnt win a super bowl for a team..................but think on this. how good would the NY football Giants have been without Lawrence Taylor ??

the cap becomes an issue when Goff / Gurley , etc all need extensions. at that point , then decisions about trades, etc need to be made. right now, put the best team on the field possible.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are a bunch of players at the bottom of their position groups right now.

It really depends on what are his demands. Making him the highest paid defender makes sense if they can structure his contract around up coming contracts and an increased cap if it indeed increases.

While the position historically doesn’t deserve the kind of jack we would have to pay him, AD is not just a DT to this team. He is a beast on defense period and makes our D hum.

I think at this point, we will either extend him or he will be traded before next year’s draft.

This. Totally agree.

He is not getting traded

Memphis Ram

Legend
I hope Ian Seau has kept himself in shape and gets a tryout with the Rams.

He didn't fit Greg Williams defense, but I believe Wade Phillips could really make him into a solid rotational player.

dang

Legend
I believe Kayvan Webster may get picked up later in the year by the Rams once it’s determined he has recovered.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Ian Seau has kept himself in shape and gets a tryout with the Rams.

He didn't fit Greg Williams defense, but I believe Wade Phillips could really make him into a solid rotational player.
Yikes, that's a name from the past.
Would be a great story but he hasn't played football in almost 3 years...
I'd think if he had even close to the goods, he'd have made a PS team somewhere

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I've been a Ram fan most of my life, since 1958, and since that time i've never seen a defensive tackle win by himself. I love watching AD play for the Rams, but love watching the Rams more, trading him would be the best for the team.
train

I mostly agree, but trading him wouldn't be my first thought. I think people people fall in love with the players success and then want to overpay the position. If you pay Donald QB money, then IMO you will not be able to sustain a playoff caliber roster.
Food for thought for those that think Donald should be kept at any price ; If Aaron Donald had been drafted by the Patriots, and going into his 4th or 5th season, his agent demanded a new contract in the range of 18-20 Mil per season, what do you think the Patriots would do?