Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay didn't want to risk passing the ball near the end of the game. The Falcon had a lot of momentum. So he ran it three straight times. This has happened before. If that is not who they are then why do it so often? Why not attempt a pass? The run game looked improved vs Atlanta, but not enough to bust out a few tough yards. No Skowronek lined up at fullback. No extra O line man to aid in blocking. Just a three and out which is not ideal for any coach or any team.
Not at all.
I just think if they’re executing, it’s not an issue.
They were driving when Kupp fumbled.
They got a punt blocked.

I just think your playbook is more open when you’re confident and executing.

No, they aren’t gonna run teams into the ground to end games. But they can execute their offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Okay.

But I just think that’s not what this team is built for and isn’t that big of an issue.
I think that after you’ve had turnovers and a game is tightening up.. it’s easier for a team to sell out on the run.
Play a clean game, you’re not as tight.. you play your game.

I remember we all melted down when the Rams blew it on third and short just before the half against Niners at home.. they passed it and it blew up.

Did the same in the playoffs… and they succeeded.

Moral?

Execution.

There is countless times w/ The Rams vs. 9ers over the years. Which season or year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would be happy to have Eric Fisher around but he may have little or no interest in signing at this time to be a 3rd OT; and the Rams are unlikely to sign any veteran OT this early to start over Noteboom ... not after they signed him to a $40M contract, with $25M guaranteed.
Where is Eric Fisher? I’ve seen him look like crap.Rams should be fine with Noteboom

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who is Oday ? Rams LT
10 years 31 ?

I like AJ Arcuri,but he needs to bulk up a little

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Are you talking about the three plays after the Ramsey interception?

After the pick, Atlanta still had two time-outs which it used after the first two runs. On third down, there was still 58 seconds. The Rams ran again to get the clock down to 13 seconds.

A first down ends the game. However, if the Rams could not pick-up a first down, they have to punt again; and, assuming Dixon gets-off the kick, there's still a minute left on the clock for the Falcons offense.

McVay played it right in my opinion ... including taking the safety.
They never get that first down. I’ve seen teams do it to the Rams though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So, you would have preferred the Rams throw the ball and risk giving Atlanta a full minute to score a TD, instead of six seconds from mid-field?
Why is this so complicated for some people?

No I would prefer that the Rams can gut out three runs and get a first down every now and then. It’s a rarity.

Now that you say it, since it was obviously a run. The Falcons expected a run, maybe they should have passed the ball there. Stafford isn’t some back up and the Falcons don’t have three Jaylen Ramsey’s in there backfield. They could have fumbled on the run play too.

It’s been like this for years. Other teams do it.

The Falcons knew they were going to run. Why not bring in extra Olinemen, to get it done if the Rams don’t have a road grader to run behind? Its always the same. Three and out and give the ball back. Then the nail biting to see if the Rams survive a long pass to the end zone, after playing prevent D and letting the opponent March to midfield. If that pass in this game was 6” lower, then the Rams lose. It shouldn’t have gotten to that point.

For me getting that first down was the most important thing at the part of the game.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

For me getting that first down was the most important thing at the part of the game.
I get it. Just don't agree.

Understand being frustrated by the lack of a strong running game but you advocated a pass attempt that could have given the Falcons possession with one minute to play, over a strategy that gave them six seconds. That's why I initially responded

For me, securing the win was by far the most important thing; and, given the circumstances, I think McVay's play-calling following Ramsey's interception did just that.

I will also push-back on your previous comment above:
'They never get that first down. I’ve seen teams do it to the Rams though.'

I don't believe we saw that last season ... either by the Rams or their opponents. When I could not think of an example from 2021, I did a quick review of the Rams schedule last season.

Securing a victory by running-out-the-clock, suggests a one-score differential. The Rams did not have a lot a one-score-differentials last season. In several of them, the Rams scored late for the win (MN and Baltimore are two examples). Of the Rams' five losses, only two were one-score-games (Packers and second-Niners' game) and in neither did the opponent run-out-the-clock.

You're frustrated, and I get that but ... in this case ... I disagree with your strategy and your recollection.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I get it. Just don't agree.

Understand being frustrated by the lack of a strong running game but you advocated a pass attempt that could have given the Falcons possession with one minute to play, over a strategy that gave them six seconds. That's why I initially responded

For me, securing the win was by far the most important thing; and, given the circumstances, I think McVay's play-calling following Ramsey's interception did just that.

I will also push-back on your previous comment above:
'They never get that first down. I’ve seen teams do it to the Rams though.'

I don't believe we saw that last season ... either by the Rams or their opponents. When I could not think of an example from 2021, I did a quick review of the Rams schedule last season.

Securing a victory by running-out-the-clock, suggests a one-score differential. The Rams did not have a lot a one-score-differentials last season. In several of them, the Rams scored late for the win (MN and Baltimore are two examples). Of the Rams' five losses, only two were one-score-games (Packers and second-Niners' game) and in neither did the opponent run-out-the-clock.

You're frustrated, and I get that but ... in this case ... I disagree with your strategy and your recollection.
My strategy was to run it for a first down. They couldn’t get it done. They didn’t even try bringing in another Olinemen like they did with Noteboom during the one game last year. If the obvious thing was to run it and the Falcons knew it was going to be a run, then commit to run it. Bring in a fullback or Olineman and commit to it. Try to get the first down.

Then taking the safety and kicking it back to the Falcons is not necessary.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

No I would prefer that the Rams can gut out three runs and get a first down every now and then. It’s a rarity.

Now that you say it, since it was obviously a run. The Falcons expected a run, maybe they should have passed the ball there. Stafford isn’t some back up and the Falcons don’t have three Jaylen Ramsey’s in there backfield. They could have fumbled on the run play too.

It’s been like this for years. Other teams do it.

The Falcons knew they were going to run. Why not bring in extra Olinemen, to get it done if the Rams don’t have a road grader to run behind? Its always the same. Three and out and give the ball back. Then the nail biting to see if the Rams survive a long pass to the end zone, after playing prevent D and letting the opponent March to midfield. If that pass in this game was 6” lower, then the Rams lose. It shouldn’t have gotten to that point.

I guess, for me, this is kind of where my disagreement really is focused.

It's not a big-picture problem. The Rams won the Super Bowl last year and didn't have that kind of an offense. Would it be nice to have an offense that could do EVERYTHING? Yes. Yes, it would be. But they don't.
They showed last year that they could win without the kind of run game that wears people down.

Don't get me wrong... I don't want a shitty run game like last season.. and I hope they're better this season.
But I'm just not concerned about them not being able to win the way you describe, as long as they win.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is a base level of excellence we're going to require at LT though. And Boom is going to need to get there if this team is going to contend.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I assume sarcasm?
I don't know.. is there a communication problem on this play? Was Edwards supposed to triple team to his right?
Hard for me to say.. not a great rep, but not bad enough to blow up the play.

Anyway.. Noteboom ain't Whit.. we know this.
I keep reading people saying Noteboom played well and all I see is dude struggling...Is he Whit? Ofcourse not, does he need to be? Probably not...but does he need to A LOT better than he is now? YES

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Endzone_Brasil/status/1571608352177651719

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There is a base level of excellence we're going to require at LT though. And Boom is going to need to get there if this team is going to contend.
Rams didn't give up a sack against Atl.

Buffalo is just a different beast this year and I'm not sure who's stopping that front.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well again we know who Stafford is and he's going to need to get back to the guy he was during the playoffs. He's gonna need to dial back the risky throws.

Another problem with that pass is he put it on a rope, so if it's not perfectly placed for a highpoint it's a high chance of INT. Give it a higher trajectory, though, and it's not too terrible a decision as Higs should be able to fight for it.

Of course Higs has never been a guy who comes down with the ball in contested situations. So that reinforces not throwing it to him unless he's actually open. But either way Robinson should have been the guy running that route in that situation. It's why we're paying him and he will either come down with it or ensure the other dude doesn't.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams didn't give up a sack against Atl.

Buffalo is just a different beast this year and I'm not sure who's stopping that front.
Stop with your crusade dude. Nobody is bashing Boom. He needs to play better.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lol ok agree to disagree, enjoy the rest of your day bro
Okay.. I'm just confused, because Stafford wasn't facing any pressure on that pass and even said, post game, that it was just a bad decision on his part.
Anyway.. enjoy your day as well.