Noteboom & Allen both injured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I thought Noteboom played pretty well yesterday, especially considering that his knee could not have been 100% after the injury in week 1.

0 sacks. 2 pressures. Generally unnoticeable (which for an offensive lineman is usually a good thing.) That's a successful outing for a LT in the NFL. The other side gets paid too.

I think people are going to have to adjust their expectations for Notebook after Whitworth spoiled the Rams for several years. Noteboom, if all goes to plan, will give us good to very good LT play. He is not going to be a Hall of Famer. I doubt he is ever among the top 5 players at his position. He's no Whitworth, and if people expect him to fully fill those shoes, they will be disappointed. Many people see a huge contract and expect that same level of play. The reality is, competent NFL LTs cost a lot - even if they are not the all-pro player that Whitworth was.

Heck, I don't know if Noteboom will even be as good as Jake Long was pre-injury. People forget how talented Long was and how highly sought after he was in free agency.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
He still lead in pressures is what one of the posters wrote that's scary against a team with not much there besides Grady on the middle....and I'd be moving bosa a lot especially if boom isn't playing well and also a bum knee.
Someone else also added that the number of pressures Noteboom gave-up was two. That's a low #.

I'm just going off what I saw; and I thought he played well. Also thought there was a clear game-plan-focus for Stafford to get the ball-out-quickly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No.

I’m saying execution problems are much more important than structural problems right now.
I wasn’t talking about that, nor about how they nearly blew the lead. I was talking about years of not being able to get the tough yards on the ground when they have to chew clock.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I noticed the Rams brought in a 6'th 'Jumbo' offensive lineman for at least one play to help block on the left side, but wouldn't you know it that Bobby Evans completely whiffed on the play.
We also brought in Skowronek as a FB which was pretty successful and mixed things up a bit which was fun, but being without our WR3 in Van Jefferson, that also creates additional pressure on Kupp & Robinson as targets, so I keep wondering why Roger Carter isn't being invited to the party as TE3 or FB for blocking purposes, or is Skow that much better doing double duty ? If Noteboom/Edwards needs help on the left side, where's our TE lined up ?
Do you think they might bring up AJ Acurai? (53-man roster)

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Do you think they might bring up AJ Acurai? (53-man roster)

They could, although I'd personally prefer OG Oday Aboushi at the moment. I think it may come down to whether the Rams currently see more risk at OT or at OG.
If it were me Anchrum would be hitting IR and Evans would be sent down to the practice squad, then both Aboushi & Arcuri would see the 53.
jmo.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
but wouldn't you know it that Bobby Evans completely whiffed on the play.
It's bizarre how they keep trotting his sorry ass out there. He must be the greatest closed practice player of all time. :dizzy:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It's bizarre how they keep trotting his sorry ass out there. He must be the greatest closed practice player of all time. :dizzy:

Yeah, it seems he and Demby must have had something on McVay. I don't know what it is, but if trying to save face over a piss-poor 3'rd round pick is their idea of properly using an extremely valuable 53 roster spot where other players of seemingly higher value are sitting useless on the practice squad, that's pretty disappointing. jmo.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Someone else also added that the number of pressures Noteboom gave-up was two. That's a low #.

I'm just going off what I saw; and I thought he played well. Also thought there was a clear game-plan-focus for Stafford to get the ball-out-quickly.

Still worried me though against better teams.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
2 pressures. 2.

2 pressures allowed (team high) against a team thats ranked in the bottom 3rd in the league pass rush wise...and also had the benefit of an offensive game plan that was tailor made to get the ball out quickly...he was THE ONLY lineman to allow pressure...

Was he better than last week? Yes (because he was awful)...Is he providing good left tackle play so far in 2022? I don't see how you can say he is considering his pattern of awful to average play

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Noteboom played pretty well yesterday, especially considering that his knee could not have been 100% after the injury in week 1.

0 sacks. 2 pressures. Generally unnoticeable (which for an offensive lineman is usually a good thing.) That's a successful outing for a LT in the NFL. The other side gets paid too.

I think people are going to have to adjust their expectations for Notebook after Whitworth spoiled the Rams for several years. Noteboom, if all goes to plan, will give us good to very good LT play. He is not going to be a Hall of Famer. I doubt he is ever among the top 5 players at his position. He's no Whitworth, and if people expect him to fully fill those shoes, they will be disappointed. Many people see a huge contract and expect that same level of play. The reality is, competent NFL LTs cost a lot - even if they are not the all-pro player that Whitworth was.

Heck, I don't know if Noteboom will even be as good as Jake Long was pre-injury. People forget how talented Long was and how highly sought after he was in free agency.
What constitutes a pressure. I saw him driven backwards a few times, almost into the QB.

Despite his lifting at Whitworth’s strength will never be his game.

I’ve been one of Noteboom and Allen’s harshest critics. I did however have very high hopes when Joe was taken in the draft by the Rams.

The idea that you propose about accepting the reality of what Joe can do and what he cannot, makes sense but if he ends up negatively affecting the team, then it’s going to get talked about.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I’m saying execution problems are much more important than structural problems right now.
Legendary college-coach John McKay was coaching a winless Tampa team in the 1970s. Following another bad defeat, he was asked by a reporter "what he thought of his Team's execution?"

McKay replied: 'I am in favor of it.'

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I understand. I have tried to consider how well he played against Tampa in the Divisional Round.

Totally agree man I always said I thought his agility and lateral movement made him a better LT. This far meh and trouble staying healthy.

I think dude it just annoys me that you have a LT (Fischer) sitting in free agency and I understand he may not be a franchise LT. But he came on in the second half last season gave up 3 sacks second half and was very good run blocker the reason I'm so high on him and I've stated this at nauseum is that Achilles which he tore effects lateral movement which effect his pass blocking and his lateral movement should be at 100% now not to mention first half of last season he was learning a new system as a LT. It just makes sense but again maybe he not an LA guy.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Totally agree man I always said I thought his agility and lateral movement made him a better LT. This far meh and trouble staying healthy.

I think dude it just annoys me that you have a LT (Fischer) sitting in free agency and I understand he may not be a franchise LT. But he came on in the second half last season gave up 3 sacks second half and was very good run blocker the reason I'm so high on him and I've stated this at nauseum is that Achilles which he tore effects lateral movement which effect his pass blocking and his lateral movement should be at 100% now not to mention first half of last season he was learning a new system as a LT. It just makes sense but again maybe he not an LA guy.
I would be happy to have Eric Fisher around but he may have little or no interest in signing at this time to be a 3rd OT; and the Rams are unlikely to sign any veteran OT this early to start over Noteboom ... not after they signed him to a $40M contract, with $25M guaranteed.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wasn’t talking about that, nor about how they nearly blew the lead. I was talking about years of not being able to get the tough yards on the ground when they have to chew clock.
Okay.

But I just think that’s not what this team is built for and isn’t that big of an issue.
I think that after you’ve had turnovers and a game is tightening up.. it’s easier for a team to sell out on the run.
Play a clean game, you’re not as tight.. you play your game.

I remember we all melted down when the Rams blew it on third and short just before the half against Niners at home.. they passed it and it blew up.

Did the same in the playoffs… and they succeeded.

Moral?

Execution.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I would be happy to have Eric Fisher around but he may have little or no interest in signing at this time to be a 3rd OT; and the Rams are unlikely to sign any veteran OT this early to start over Noteboom ... not after they signed him to a $40M contract, with $25M guaranteed.

I hear you but if Stafford gets hurt or even if boom is on effective but Stafford doesn't get hurt this team will definitely not repeat and with no running game in sight may not do much. A lot rides on this line getting better some type of injection of life. That's my concern. You could have 5 all pro receivers won'take a lick of difference with no run game and no line that's my biggest worry. 2nd is getting AD some help.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 pressures allowed (team high) against a team thats ranked in the bottom 3rd in the league pass rush wise...and also had the benefit of an offensive game plan that was tailor made to get the ball out quickly...he was THE ONLY lineman to allow pressure...

Was he better than last week? Yes (because he was awful)...Is he providing good left tackle play so far in 2022? I don't see how you can say he is considering his pattern of awful to average play
Well the falcons do have Grady Jarrett and crushed the saints offensive line tbf

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay.

But I just think that’s not what this team is built for and isn’t that big of an issue.
I think that after you’ve had turnovers and a game is tightening up.. it’s easier for a team to sell out on the run.
Play a clean game, you’re not as tight.. you play your game.

I remember we all melted down when the Rams blew it on third and short just before the half against Niners at home.. they passed it and it blew up.

Did the same in the playoffs… and they succeeded.

Moral?

Execution.
McVay didn't want to risk passing the ball near the end of the game. The Falcon had a lot of momentum. So he ran it three straight times. This has happened before. If that is not who they are then why do it so often? Why not attempt a pass? The run game looked improved vs Atlanta, but not enough to bust out a few tough yards. No Skowronek lined up at fullback. No extra O line man to aid in blocking. Just a three and out which is not ideal for any coach or any team.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
McVay didn't want to risk passing the ball near the end of the game. The Falcon had a lot of momentum. So he ran it three straight times. This has happened before. If that is not who they are then why do it so often? Why not attempt a pass?
Are you talking about the three plays after the Ramsey interception?

After the pick, Atlanta still had two time-outs which it used after the first two runs. On third down, there was still 58 seconds. The Rams ran again to get the clock down to 13 seconds.

A first down ends the game. However, if the Rams could not pick-up a first down, they have to punt again; and, assuming Dixon gets-off the kick, there's still a minute left on the clock for the Falcons offense.

McVay played it right in my opinion ... including taking the safety.