Not so fast. That kaepernick deal is actually ... smart.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I have a hard time understanding why Kaepernick signed the deal in the first place. If he has a bust season or he gets hurt he's done getting paid anything close to that, whereas if he had waited to sign until he was a free agent, some team would've overpaid him and he'd have more guaranteed money.

Is there anything that allows Kaepernick to opt out of the deal? If they signed that contract without both parties being able to opt out, his agent should be fired.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Also, this.

larry-500x500.jpg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. Hate to give them props on anything, but they worked that deal out to their advantage.
Same here, it was painful to write that. This deal seems to be groundbreaking though, think we will see the structure of this contract used throughout the league very soon.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Same here, it was painful to write that. This deal seems to be groundbreaking though, think we will see the structure of this contract used throughout the league very soon.

I doubt it. There's not going to be many agents that will want their player to sign a contract like that.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt it. There's not going to be many agents that will want their player to sign a contract like that.
It only takes another QB or 2 to sign a similar deal for this to become the new standard in the NFL. Its not such a bad move for the player IMO. you sign a deal worth far more than you are worth and have the opportunity to play up to that price.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It only takes another QB or 2 to sign a similar deal for this to become the new standard in the NFL. Its not such a bad move for the player IMO. you sign a deal worth far more than you are worth and have the opportunity to play up to that price.

Since when has signing year-to-year contracts ever been advantageous to the player? It's not now, and the smarter agents aren't going to let it be that way in the future.

You think agents are going to let teams completely minimize risk like this putting all the risk on the players? No chance my friend.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's true too, but agents don't make their money on what a player *might* earn. They want that cash money in hand. It'd be interesting to hear from Kaepernick's agents on this ... and we might. That would certainly give an indication as to what they got out of it and whether or not it's beneficial to agents as well.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
:cautious:

Agamemnon

Rookie
http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Colin%20Kaepernick&Position=QB&Team=49ers

Colin Kaepernick
Position: QB
APY: $21,000,000
Salary Rank: 2/133

College: Nevada Accrued Seasons: 3
League Entry: 2011 NFL Draft, Round 2, Pick 36 (49ers)

All details of the current contract extension are currently based on a report by Pro Football Talk that outlines the structure of the contract. These figures are estimations on my part and there is $766 unaccounted for which is likely in his 2015 salary.

Colin Kaepernick signed a six year, $126 million extension with the San Francisco 49ers on June 4, 2014. Kaepernick received $12,973,000 in full guarantees made up of a $645,000 base salary and $12,328,000 signing bonus. From 2015 through 2017 his entire base salary is guaranteed for injury only as is $5.2 million of his 2018 base salary. If Kaepernick is on the 49ers roster on April 1 of the respective League Year the guarantee vests to full. $2 million per year is tied to per game roster bonuses and another $2 million per year in de-escalator clauses is tied to playing time or performance.

Kaepernick was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He signed a 4 year contract worth $5,124,296 which included a $2,226,764 signing bonus. His base salaries in 2011 and 2012 were fully guaranteed and $590,314 of his 2013 base salary was fully guaranteed. Kaepernick can earn workout bonuses of $100,000 in the final two years of his contract.
screenshot_468.png

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since when has signing year-to-year contracts ever been advantageous to the player? It's not now, and the smarter agents aren't going to let it be that way in the future.

You think agents are going to let teams completely minimize risk like this putting all the risk on the players? No chance my friend.
It's not a year to year contract...and you don't seem to have an opinion other than "no you're wrong" so I don't see this going anywhere

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May be well written, but that is still a ton of money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
May be well written, but that is still a ton of money.
True. Evidently he's pretty confident in his own talent, because he thinks he can trigger all the escalators. The 9ers, on the other hand, aren't so sure and are protecting themselves in the event he doesn't. Strange contract, and I still can't imagine how his agents let him sign off on it. Unless they're getting something in the form of a guarantee too, but I don't see how that's possible if much of the contract isn't guaranteed itself.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It's not a year to year contract...and you don't seem to have an opinion other than "no you're wrong" so I don't see this going anywhere

How is it not a year to year contract? From X's original post:

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

He gets the signing bonus up front but the bulk of the money, his base salary, isn't guaranteed until April 1st of each year. That means the 49ers can dump him prior to April 1st next offseason, or in any of the offseasons to follow without paying him. That's the definition of year-to-year.

Athos

Legend
Those are good numbers vs our Rams! That needs to change starting this year! Especially the passing rating! Numbers need to be closer to the Seattle numbers to put the Rams in the playoffs!

Only good #s because out offense was absolutely incompetent against the Whiners last year, even more so with CK.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it not a year to year contract? From X's original post:

He gets the signing bonus up front but the bulk of the money, his base salary, isn't guaranteed until April 1st of each year. That means the 49ers can dump him prior to April 1st next offseason, or in any of the offseasons to follow without paying him. That's the definition of year-to-year.
What kind of year to year contract would still pay a player 5-6 years down the road if he suffers a career ending injury this season? Sure he will see less money by not reaching his bonuses nonetheless this is not a year to year contract, this is a unique contract.

I CAN SEE THIS CONTRACT IMPACTING FUTURE CONTRACTS. Thats all im saying, its my opinon. All youre doing is saying "no way" or thats impossible.
:cheers:

Last edited:

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Outside of a career ending injury (which rarely happens to QBs) it's a year-to-year contract.

I'm not predicting the future. I'm just pointing out the obvious that players and agents aren't going to be rushing to sign contracts like this because of the high risk on the player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Outside of a career ending injury (which rarely happens to QBs) it's a year-to-year contract.

I'm not predicting the future. I'm just pointing out the obvious that players and agents aren't going to be rushing to sign contracts like this because of the high risk on the player.
I think this contract will become the standard for certain players though. Obviously you'll never get a Brees or Manning to sign that kind of contract, but I could see Bradford or Stafford inking it. It's more or less a "prove it to me" contract, and it's up to the players who are presented with it to determine if they're confident enough in their own talents/durability to trigger the escalators. It could end up being a very good one for him if he does, so...

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So we've established its NOT a year to year contract. You cant just take pieces out and call it something else, what kind of logic is that?

SF has made a commitment to Kaepernick, just because they have the ability to cut him any year doesnt mean they are going to dump him at the first sign of trouble, because ya know that might be bad for the team, having to completely restart with a new QB. Plus they would have to have someone capable of coming in and playing better.

How is this obvious? You're acting as if there are no benefits for the players/agents whatsoever and that is not the case. There is certainly greater risk to a deal such as this one, but also greater reward. SF would be much more hesitant to throw this much money at Kaep (especially following flacco etc.) if it were not structured in this manner, so they essentially told him earn it. Hes confident in his ability, it was important to him to allow his team flexibility, he has the potential to earn a huge sum of money, and there are safety precautions that wont leave him making nothing should he not be able to finish his contract.

This seems to be one of the more fair contracts Ive seen as far as both player and team getting fair compensation. SF locks up Kaepernick and will pay him as a star if he plays as a star otherwise his contract will adjust accordingly. So to my original point, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen more often.