None of the prognosticators even have this on their radar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Ram season IMO turned basically on 2 missed FGs. If not for those, no one would be asking "what happened to the Rams?" Well, the Rams will have a new kicker this year. I think it will be Lirim Hajrullahu.

Lirim has a better leg than Greg ever had. He's been far and away more consistent than Greg ever was. He's been a professional for years, kicking FGs outside in the Canadian winters. He's proven himself under professional pressure. He would have to get sick or injured not to be the Ram's PK this year. I think they will try to sneak Sloman onto the PS but I don't think he will get there too many teams need a kicker like the Giants. So that probably puts MacGinnis on the PS.

Lirim could be the last piece of the puzzle. His range and accuracy could be the deciding factor in crucial games in the same way Greg was in the NFC Championship game in 2018. The only downside is his age at 30. But being a PK minimizes that issue. Talk about under the radar weapons I think Lirim could very well be exactly that. I watched some of his Canadian kicks and I'm shocked he has lasted that long in the CFL without being signed in the NFL.

But the reason I think he's a lock to make the team is that he can punt. He's not a great punter but he's not bad either (44-45 yd aver last year) in the same way Hekker isn't a great PK but he's serviceable. Having both kickers being able to fill in for each other is a huge roster advantage especially this year. If Hekker shows up with a slight temp he won't be allowed to play so having someone who can be a gameday replacement would be huge.

Last year during the season in different games Lirim made a 62 yd FG and a 70 yd FG with the last one being in heavy November air. Imagine needing a game-winning FG in January in Chicago, Greenbay, or Philly and I think you get the value of having proven weather and pressure-proof pk.

Yeah, he's my pick for under the radar impact signing.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Remember though, CFL uses kick stands. He now has to kick from the turf

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
They keep posting a Get Off time of around 1.3 seconds. What do the best kickers in the NFL do? It seems he only takes a couple of steps and starts those steps fairly quickly.

Ram65

Legend
They keep posting a Get Off time of around 1.3 seconds. What do the best kickers in the NFL do? It seems he only takes a couple of steps and starts those steps fairly quickly.
between 1.23 seconds and 1.33 seconds

A good field goal get-off time in the NFL is between 1.23 seconds and 1.33 seconds. Many high school coaches are asking their kicker to go sub 1.23 seconds. Asking your kicker to go this fast will cost the team a few missed kicks, because your kicker is out of tempo and does not get a good look at the ball.

3 Things most High School Coaches are doing wrong with ...

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I was able to find a video about kick time with former kicker Josh Brown oddly enough. 1.2 was the time here

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I couldn't watch the entire highlight reel. There's only so much of a kicker I'm willing to watch. :cool: But one of the things I liked is that he doesn't seem to have that knuckleball effect like Greg and several other kickers have. There was almost always so much movement on GZ's kicks it would make me queasy just watching them.

Ram65

Legend
I thought I would look up any differences between them

The ball is now the same as the NFL both made by Wilson.

CFL uses a Tee for FGs.

The Goal Posts are closer in the CFL while the hash marks are wider both making it harder to make FGs. I could not the numbers.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I thought I would look up any differences between them

The ball is now the same as the NFL both made by Wilson.

CFL uses a Tee for FGs.

The Goal Posts are closer in the CFL while the hash marks are wider both making it harder to make FGs. I could not the numbers.

I live in Canada and have been to CFL games...I honestly can't think of a single modern day CFL kicker that uses a tee. The misinformation is likely because it is technically allowed by rule. The video I posted above shows that he does not use a tee.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I couldn't watch the entire highlight reel. There's only so much of a kicker I'm willing to watch. :cool: But one of the things I liked is that he doesn't seem to have that knuckleball effect like Greg and several other kickers have. There was almost always so much movement on GZ's kicks it would make me queasy just watching them.
Agreed. The movement on GZ's ball always bugged me. It's like he'd torque the fuck out of it with spin or something. I never fully trusted the dude, maybe just my personality or whatever there but I was always worried when it came down to his leg.

The OP is right that our season turned on the kicking game, although that is a testament to the talent we have as well as the staff given the other problems with the roster. But the fucked up thing here is this kicker changeover could also blow up in our face.

Also these practice vids are great and all but IMO it's important to keep in mind they can kick trajectories that are more flat and thus have more range when there are no defenders with their meathooks up in the air to block the ball.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The goalposts are the same in Canada and the US. The difference is the size of the field in Canada the field is 110 yds and the goalposts are on the goal line like they used to be in the US. Ram65 is correct with the hash being wider his kicks even the shorter ones are more difficult. That's why his accuracy is so impressive.

The problem with Sloman is that he's a rookie and most rookies struggle when they come to the NFL. This struggle is because of the added mental pressure they face. It's one thing to do it in college but another when perhaps millions of dollars hang in the balance, not only during the regular season but especially in the playoffs. It's why teams prefer to sign recycled vets than take the chance on a rookie. Younghoe Koo is a perfect example of that. It took Koo 3 years and multiple teams before he began to show the promise that got him drafted in 2017.

After last year I simply don't think the Rams despite drafting Sloman will be willing to put their season in the leg of a rookie. This team is built for now and Sloman is a great prospect but that's all he is a prospect. Lirim has faced that pressure including the Grey Cup and has come out on top. He isn't the absolute best in terms of percentage but a lot of his kicks have been outdoors in Canadian Winters. I believe he made a 70 yard FG last year and it was in Nov and in an outdoor stadium.

I will take the proven vet who might be a half-second slower than optimum over a rookie at PK every time. The bust rate for PK is far too high. Over 53% of drafted kickers bust. Only two of the top ten PKs in terms of percentage were drafted. Yes, I doubt Sloman would clear waivers if released but that doesn't mean he will be successful with the team that takes him.

IMO Lirim's half-second slower than optimum kicking time is due to his 5'11" height. Teams prefer shorter kickers simply because their movements are quicker normally. But that said Zuerlein was 6' tall so I don't see that as an issue.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
fter last year I simply don't think the Rams despite drafting Sloman will be willing to put their season in the leg of a rookie. This team is built for now and Sloman is a great prospect but that's all he is a prospect. Lirim has faced that pressure including the Grey Cup and has come out on top. He isn't the absolute best in terms of percentage but a lot of his kicks have been outdoors in Canadian Winters. I believe he made a 70 yard FG last year and it was in Nov and in an outdoor stadium.
It's worth noting here that the Rams specifically targeted Sloman due to big kicks in tough outdoor situations. Pre-draft nobody would have thought Sloman would go off the board before some of these other guys. Most here in fact were convinced that Blankenship would be the first kicker off the board but that's not how things went down in fact the order was far different than anticipated. This demonstrates that NFL teams all have things they're looking for at the position, where the Rams seem to have focused on mental toughness and ability to make tough kicks vice pure explosive kicking power.

Bottom line though IMO is that it's foolishness to crown any of these guys just yet. First off with kickers you might as well flip a fucking coin to predict who wins the job out of 3 solid options. It's an insane position in terms of being able to predict a fucking thing surrounding these guys. But I also wouldn't rule any of them out, least of all Sloman who the Rams targeted for a reason. Let that competition get heated and whoever wins it is our guy. Competition is what truly matters here and it typically fosters development of someone who can produce at the desired level.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I still think his game tying kick from the championship game is gonna miss wide right when I first see it. Funny they talk about how he has a “draw and not a fade” because they thought it was gonna go wide right, but all Rams fans know that GZ had a fade, wide right was where he would usually miss, he’s probably more lucky that the ball curved back.

I would believe Hekker could control his FG kicks before Greg.

As an aside, double checking which kick was the one I thought was gonna miss led me to this video, which is always fun.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Lirim has a better leg than Greg ever had.

Well those are big words which at this point are strictly opinion

Hope you’re not putting too much into that Carli Lloyd style practice kick that other guy seemed to think was relevant

Like the take on the punt ability though

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
It should be a good competition Lirim Hajrullahu seems to be my favorite now. The fact that he has experience as a pro in windy conditions that were in late fall Canada weather is a nice advantage. I like his ball flight, accuracy,and leg strength.

College, NFL and CFL : Goal posts are 10 feet high and 18 feet, 6 inches wide.Mar 23, 2015
Football Field Dimensions Home Page | Court & Field ...

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank goodness that game tying FG kick at the end of the Saints game, somehow decided to go inside of the upright. That looked wide right and then it changed direction at the last second.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They won’t have an issue getting any of these guys on to the practice squad.
I only wonder if Liram doesn’t make the Rams, does he sign with a CFL team? Surely would pay more than a PS slot

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I agree that the narrative would be totally different if GZ makes that FG in Seattle. Rams sweep the seahags. Make the playoffs. The perception totally changes entering the offseason. Even though its still the same team, same circumstances. Warts and all.

Funny how one missed kick totally changed everything. Make the playoffs and the Rams are considered a contender. Just need to tweak a few things. Miss the playoffs and the Rams window has closed and they're rebuilding. One kick changed everything.

The thing is, we are a legit contender. We have a good offense. Defense should be better. No reason think we cannot make it back. In spite of what the pundits think. You know, the guys who are wrong more often than they are right.

…..

Legend
Pretty rare statement - “Has a better leg than Greg ever had”

You wont hear that very often.