No Preseason Games in 2020 | Roster cut from 90 to 80

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did I say mass breakout?

I just said I could see if a team gets an infected player it could hit a unit because of close working relationships among units from on field to meeting rooms etc..
Didnt you suggest that an o-line could lose 3-4 of its starters? Which is 60-80% of starting o-line? Pretty much doomsday.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I wasnt saying it is right or wrong, just my understanding of why they are limiting roster size. Not sure how the fans are impacted either way since they cant watch training camp and there are no pre-season games

And the way I also understood it, it was the players, not the owners pushing for smaller rosters
According to Mike Jones of USA Today, there have been suggestions within “NFLPA circles” about reducing rosters from 90 players to 75 or 80. Offseason rosters grew from 80 to 90 in 2012.
I wasnt saying it is right or wrong, just my understanding of why they are limiting roster size. Not sure how the fans are impacted either way since they cant watch training camp and there are no pre-season games

And the way I also understood it, it was the players, not the owners pushing for smaller rosters
According to Mike Jones of USA Today, there have been suggestions within “NFLPA circles” about reducing rosters from 90 players to 75 or 80. Offseason rosters grew from 80 to 90 in 2012.
That is cool, thanks for posting. It's what I expecting.

I was only referring to the possibility of coaches taking more risks to problem solving if they had access to greater diversification in talent overall - in terms of being beneficial to the fans. Or at least this nerd.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Didnt you suggest that an o-line could lose 3-4 of its starters? Which is 60-80% of starting o-line? Pretty much doomsday.

I said if a team gets an infected player, I could see a particular unit getting hit.

3 guys on a 53 man active roster and overall on a 65 man team roster, is not a mass breakout.... BUT I can see a unit losing a few players, which would be bad since its almost targeted.

That would be due to guys attending unit meetings close together and working out as a unit in practice, and just because they are more likely to hang together during the day.

This should not be this difficult to understand.

Are you the real Dieter Brock because your takes are as accurate as his deep outs were.

Just kidding... Keeping it light.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the league needs to expand rosters this year, maybe a 10 man Covid roster. Teams are going to lose players for a month at a time. It'd make more sense to let teams hang onto players they lured to the team instead of having to go plucking them from different cities when Covid hits the team. 55 active roster, 10 practice squad, 10 Covid squad. Protect the practice squad from pilfering by other teams.
They kind of did this by expanding the PS to 16 and protecting 4 of them from other teams. I'm happy with that move but think a PS of 20 and protect 10 would be better just in case but hey..........................

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe I'm just being too soft for the players competing for a roster spot, but without preseason games it seems like some of these guys are just getting jerked around.
I'm with you on this. Cutting UDFAs before camp just feels bad man.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Wow, glad you were impressed with our start last year. I do believe that preseason games play a definite role in evaluating talent at a different pace and with the roar of the crowd separating the players who are ready, from the overwhelmed. I loved seeing the young talent. I still think resting our OL like they were polished and ready to go was a mistake.

I doubt more prep time would've helped that group much. There seemed to be an overall uptick in OL performance as they simply got replaced.