No Preseason Games in 2020 | Roster cut from 90 to 80

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Oh well, maybe that’ll help us have a season.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Idk if we even see a season this year. But if we do, maybe this is an advantage for the Rams since we’ve been doing this for two years now with our starters.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Lol players know they have a lot of leverage so good for them for using it, I guess.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets be honest, the pre-season games are just a money grab, plain and simple. I normally support the owners on this, but in the current environment its just silly to not back down and eliminate them.
Heck, there's no pre-season in college football and an early loss can end a season. NFL plays enough games to make up for it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It may make things a little tougher for guys fighting for a roster spot. Does a coach lean toward a known get or roll the dice on a udfa that catches his eye?

oldnotdead

Legend
I think going forward there will only be 2 preseason games to evaluate rookies. But in reality inter-team scrimmages show the coaches as much or more so pre-season really is completely unnecessary. With the expansion of the PS that will help mitigate most. Besides, most UDFA are camp fodder anyway. Cutting 10 now won't be a huge challenge. I think they will cut down to 2 kickers with Lirim and Sloman. The Jets need a kicker so MacGinnis shouldn't have a problem being picked up. That way if they want to sneak Sloman onto the PS he might clear waivers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It’s going to be weird... we will be cutting players, we may never see (as fans) play as Rams.

The speculation on cuts, before and as they happen. Going to be unusual!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think it's a good decision. Asking players to risk their bodies for meaningless games is shitty. That's a yesteryear thing IMO. These guys are "finely tuned athletic machines" who represent a big investment by the teams, so this is something that is overdue.

Get your work done in scrimmages. McVay basically gave the league a good example on that, even though I think he was a bit too soft on his team in 2019.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the league needs to expand rosters this year, maybe a 10 man Covid roster. Teams are going to lose players for a month at a time. It'd make more sense to let teams hang onto players they lured to the team instead of having to go plucking them from different cities when Covid hits the team. 55 active roster, 10 practice squad, 10 Covid squad. Protect the practice squad from pilfering by other teams.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams will likely need to release or designate 9 players on standby soon

The Los Angeles Rams have a kicking competition between three players, a backup quarterback competition between three players, and 22 undrafted rookie free agents.

That’s maybe where they can begin to sort out which nine players will need to be released or put on standby without ever getting a chance to look at them in 2020 training camp as the NFL and NFLPA reportedly agree to camp rosters of 80 players rather than the usual 90 to create a safer environment amid the coronavirus pandemic.

As of Wednesday, the Rams website lists 89 players on the roster.

Where will Sean McVay turn to as he prepares to comply for a training camp with 10 fewer players than usual? Los Angeles seems to be at a slight disadvantage this time around thanks to the three-person kicking competition between Austin MacGinnis, Lirim Hajrullahu, and Sam Sloman, rather than the usual one spot used on veteran Greg Zuerlein since 2012. They also have three unproven players fighting it out to backup Jared Goff as opposed to a veteran like Blake Bortles last season, however with camp multiple quarterbacks would be necessary anyhow.

Not that we are about to get a “normal” camp. And certainly not a normal preseason as that has been canceled, another reason teams will not need as many players this August.

It is also likely that because the Rams were so far up against the 2020 cap that nearly 25-percent of their roster is made up of rookie undrafted free agents. That does not even include the nine players who were drafted by McVay and Les Snead, meaning rookies are more like 33-percent of the roster.

Those rookies won’t be getting a preseason and some of them won’t even make it to day one of camp it seems.

On the bright side, it would seem that LA’s decision to stick with the offensive linemen they had last season rather than young players and new players may turn out to have been a fortunate decision, even if the unit was mostly disappointing a year ago.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is also likely that because the Rams were so far up against the 2020 cap that nearly 25-percent of their roster is made up of rookie undrafted free agents. That does not even include the nine players who were drafted by McVay and Les Snead, meaning rookies are more like 33-percent of the roster.

33% of 53 is 18 players.

So that means 35 are vet players.

The only rookies that could force their way into the starting offense are Akers and Jefferson.

On D there probably won't be a starting rookie.

Rookies are supposed to fill in the depth spots. That's how teams build their rosters for the future.

What is this clown talking about?

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess I will be in the minority here. It seems most of you on the board look at the preseason games as absolutely useless. I think a poor preseason doomed us last year, as McVay kept an untested and obviously overwhelmed offensive line from playing until the opener. Preseason gives the rooks a game speed environment that no scrimmage can offer. Seeing a young man perform under “ the lights” gives the coach a chance to see how players react under pressure. This environment will be very unfortunate for the few who would have/could have made an impression under pressure. Of course I am overstating the “ doomed season” remark, but it looked foolish to me that our coaching staff protected a very young OL instead of seeing what they really had. Soap Box now thrown away.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I did say I was overstating. But tbh beating a hapless Carolina team, a Brees-less Saints team, and the Browns wasn’t exactly being hot. My point was that we all saw a pretty dismal OL performance early on, maybe McVay would have adapted to the 12 personnel sooner had he seen what the group looked like in preseason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I did say I was overstating. But tbh beating a hapless Carolina team, a Brees-less Saints team, and the Browns wasn’t exactly being hot. My point was that we all saw a pretty dismal OL performance early on, maybe McVay would have adapted to the 12 personnel sooner had he seen what the group looked like in preseason.
Not sure I understand the point here. You think they would have learned more from meaningless pre-season games, where the starters play a Q at most, with a completely vanilla game plan, then from actual games? That's silly. And not sure why to discredit the start of season, Carolina won 4 of next 5 after opening loss, The "Brees-Less" Saints went 5-0 with Bridgewater starting, and Cleveland was good enough to eviscerate the Ravens the week after losing to the Rams

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sad that UDFA will not have a chance to fulfill their dreams and people are not only celebrating that but minimalixing these players. Every year it seems 4 or 5 udfa make each team across the league.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sad that UDFA will not have a chance to fulfill their dreams and people are not only celebrating that but minimalixing these players. Every year it seems 4 or 5 udfa make each team across the league.
Yes, covid has affected the careers of many people. Sadly, the XFL couldnt stay above water as that would have made a great opportunity for many of these players

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sadly, the XFL couldnt stay above water as that would have made a great opportunity for many of these players

There are reports that the XFL may stay going.

And... I would guess there could be a lot of NFL customers looking for football that focuses on football. XFL surely sees this.