No need for alarm on Goffs performance,still no reason to think defense has turned the corner either

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ball security becomes more important this time of year .

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Im wondering if Goff got a big head from the Chiefs game and all the media afterwards and that's why he played poorly. He sort of played with an ego instead of focusing and just executing. If that's true I just hope he realizes that. Im sure he probably does or he has been told by McVay, his Dad.....

I dont know its just an alternate theory to the bye week theory. If its true its probably good that it happened, you can learn a lot from a game like that. Stay humble.

No evidence that Goff is getting arrogant. Think he was just under the weather and/or impacted by the time change/ early game time.

However, I do think Goff missed Cooper Kupp in this game. Kupp is our best possession, short to medium range, and 3d down conversion receiver. Against a good defensive scheme not sure those passes were nearly as available. Like the young receivers but none can execute as reliably as Kupp.

I also think that in fact the D has turned the corner because of the addition of Fowler and the return of Talib. Fowler had a number of big plays against Detroit and is clearly now a factor in in the D. We know about Talib. Having both those impact players on the field going forward is a big deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jared Goff looks for bounce-back effort as Rams prepare for frigid Chicago and Bears’ hot defense
By Rich Hammond
https://www.pe.com/2018/12/05/jared...are-for-frigid-chicago-and-bears-hot-defense/

The Gloved One – Jared Goff, not Michael Jackson – might be making an appearance in Chicago, one week after a performance that certainly did not seem worthy of an encore.

Based on the standards he has set this season, with stellar overall play, Goff looked strikingly bad in last Sunday’s victory at Detroit, as he completed 17 of 33 attempts for 205 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. Now, Goff must prepare for a tenacious Chicago opponent and challenging elements.Goff must contend not only with Bears linebacker Khalil Mack but with temperatures that likely will drop into the low 20s for a Sunday-night game. Goff will try to heat up after last week’s tepid performance.

“Many reasons,” Goff said Wednesday when asked about the Rams’ offensive struggles. “Many reasons, and something that I’ll look to improve on (is) to try to keep taking care of the ball. That’s something that I really looked at myself at, and I need to do a better job of that, get better and move on.”

It’s probably fair to toss out Goff’s game against Detroit, even with some surprising miscues, which included a way-off interception, plus two other near-interceptions in the fourth quarter, and a fumble. The Rams looked out of sync after their bye, and the Lions’ defense didn’t get enough credit for a solid game.

The Rams, thanks in large part to Aaron Donald, claimed a 30-16 victory, but twice, on consecutive plays in the fourth quarter, Lions defenders got their hands on passes that would have been easy pick-six plays. Goff rarely looked comfortable in the pocket and had his lowest yards-per-attempt average (6.27) of the season, as well as his second-lowest quarterback rating (68.6).

“I think he did a good job of making plays when he had to make them,” pass-game coordinator Shane Waldron said. “Obviously there were a couple throws he might want to take back, but it’s a tough position, where those split-second decisions are made every game. His ability to stay and collected when things don’t go perfectly during the game, that has such a positive effect on the rest of our offense and the rest of our team.”

Coach Sean McVay also pointed out that Goff audibled out of some pass plays that led to big Todd Gurley runs. So the issue going forward is not Goff’s ability to bounce back. His personality and the Rams’ solid coaching make that easy. It’s those freezing temperatures that could be problematic.

Goff’s other truly poor game this season was the Rams’ narrow Oct. 14 victory at Denver. It snowed lightly before the game, and kickoff temperature was 25 degrees, with a wind chill of 18.Goff, a Northern California native long accustomed to warm-weather games, (quite reasonably) wore gloves during the game and completed 14 of 28 attempts for 201 yards and one interception. It was Goff’s only game this season without a touchdown pass, with season-lows in yards and completion percentage.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No evidence that Goff is getting arrogant. Think he was just under the weather and/or impacted by the time change/ early game time.

However, I do think Goff missed Cooper Kupp in this game. Kupp is our best possession, short to medium range, and 3d down conversion receiver. Against a good defensive scheme not sure those passes were nearly as available. Like the young receivers but none can execute as reliably as Kupp.

I also think that in fact the D has turned the corner because of the addition of Fowler and the return of Talib. Fowler had a number of big plays against Detroit and is clearly now a factor in in the D. We know about Talib. Having both those impact players on the field going forward is a big deal.

again as i said in the OP, dont think just because they held a pushover Lions offense who does not scare anybody that they have turned the corner on D with the return of Talib. Had they held any of the teams they played in their last four games to that score then yeah that would be something to boast about but the Lions? not hardly.:rolllaugh:same with the rest of the teams in their remaining schedule.all pushovers.:D Lets wait till the playoffs start to see if him being back has helped the D.:D

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
Jared Goff looks for bounce-back effort as Rams prepare for frigid Chicago and Bears’ hot defense
By Rich Hammond
https://www.pe.com/2018/12/05/jared...are-for-frigid-chicago-and-bears-hot-defense/

The Gloved One – Jared Goff, not Michael Jackson – might be making an appearance in Chicago, one week after a performance that certainly did not seem worthy of an encore.

Based on the standards he has set this season, with stellar overall play, Goff looked strikingly bad in last Sunday’s victory at Detroit, as he completed 17 of 33 attempts for 205 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. Now, Goff must prepare for a tenacious Chicago opponent and challenging elements.Goff must contend not only with Bears linebacker Khalil Mack but with temperatures that likely will drop into the low 20s for a Sunday-night game. Goff will try to heat up after last week’s tepid performance.

“Many reasons,” Goff said Wednesday when asked about the Rams’ offensive struggles. “Many reasons, and something that I’ll look to improve on (is) to try to keep taking care of the ball. That’s something that I really looked at myself at, and I need to do a better job of that, get better and move on.”

It’s probably fair to toss out Goff’s game against Detroit, even with some surprising miscues, which included a way-off interception, plus two other near-interceptions in the fourth quarter, and a fumble. The Rams looked out of sync after their bye, and the Lions’ defense didn’t get enough credit for a solid game.

The Rams, thanks in large part to Aaron Donald, claimed a 30-16 victory, but twice, on consecutive plays in the fourth quarter, Lions defenders got their hands on passes that would have been easy pick-six plays. Goff rarely looked comfortable in the pocket and had his lowest yards-per-attempt average (6.27) of the season, as well as his second-lowest quarterback rating (68.6).

“I think he did a good job of making plays when he had to make them,” pass-game coordinator Shane Waldron said. “Obviously there were a couple throws he might want to take back, but it’s a tough position, where those split-second decisions are made every game. His ability to stay and collected when things don’t go perfectly during the game, that has such a positive effect on the rest of our offense and the rest of our team.”

Coach Sean McVay also pointed out that Goff audibled out of some pass plays that led to big Todd Gurley runs. So the issue going forward is not Goff’s ability to bounce back. His personality and the Rams’ solid coaching make that easy. It’s those freezing temperatures that could be problematic.

Goff’s other truly poor game this season was the Rams’ narrow Oct. 14 victory at Denver. It snowed lightly before the game, and kickoff temperature was 25 degrees, with a wind chill of 18.Goff, a Northern California native long accustomed to warm-weather games, (quite reasonably) wore gloves during the game and completed 14 of 28 attempts for 201 yards and one interception. It was Goff’s only game this season without a touchdown pass, with season-lows in yards and completion percentage.

thats why i keep saying expect Goff to struggle again in this weeks game.He is not as effective in the cold.Good news is this will be the last cold weather game he has to play in the rest of the year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's not the cold, it's the defense.

Denver's pass rush is under appreciated as is Detroit's.

Detroit didn't beat New England because Matt Patricia knew all of the plays in advance. He knew how to attack Brady in a way as to make him extremely uncomfortable. He doesn't like to get moved off of his spot.

McVay will learn that the best way to stunt a pass rush is to establish the running game.

Honestly, the best way to do that is start out with play action since typically, defenses are going to want to stuff the run early.

then continue play action until they soften up. If they don't just keep doing it. Once they soften up, the ram it down their throats and then keep them guessing.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, the best way to do that is start out with play action since typically, defenses are going to want to stuff the run early.

then continue play action until they soften up. If they don't just keep doing it. Once they soften up, the ram it down their throats and then keep them guessing.
I see what you did there and I like it!

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be classic McVay to not say anything if he was ill. You never hear the guy blame anybody or anything than himself. He owns it.

And I'm not buying the rusty thing at all and for two reasons.

if it were a common phenomenon there would be all sorts of stats out there and commentators bringing it up all the time.

Plus that would tend to suggest QB play would dip in the Super Bowl. Pretty sure that doesn't happen,

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
It's not the cold, it's the defense.

Denver's pass rush is under appreciated as is Detroit's.

Detroit didn't beat New England because Matt Patricia knew all of the plays in advance. He knew how to attack Brady in a way as to make him extremely uncomfortable. He doesn't like to get moved off of his spot.

McVay will learn that the best way to stunt a pass rush is to establish the running game.

well Goff and the offensive line should not have any problem sunday with the Bears defense,a team defense we kept hearing was so good yet it got torched and lit up by a pathetic Giants offense with a has been washed up quarterback no less.LOL if it were not for the fact that as great as the rams offense has been,that they are not that great in the red zone,i would feel very confidant about this game. The Giants are used to the cold weather so i doubt it bothered thier game plan.