Nick Wagoner: Why Sammy Watkins Needs To Be A Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Why Sammy Watkins needs to be a Ram
By Nick Wagoner

[espn.go.com]

INDIANAPOLIS -- In 2012, the St. Louis Rams finally found themselves in position to draft the best wide receiver in his draft class.

They had the No. 2 pick in that draft and a clear shot at Oklahoma State’s Justin Blackmon before making a blockbuster trade with Washington. The move loaded them with picks but also cost them a shot at Blackmon.

It was a move the Rams could make because Blackmon wasn’t believed to be in the class of Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green or Julio Jones. He was best in class but not necessarily considered a surefire No. 1 receiver type.

Two years later, it appears that trade has put the Rams in position to land a receiver who is far closer to the Green/Jones class than any receiver that’s come out in the past three years.

His name is Sammy Watkins and he spent the past three years dominating the ACC as a member of the Clemson Tigers. In that time, he posted 240 catches for 3,391 yards and 27 touchdowns.

And Watkins is a player that, assuming everything checks out in terms of interviews, health and off the field issues, should be at the top of the Rams’ wish list in May.

In talking to a handful of scouts this week at the scouting combine, I heard almost nothing negative about Watkins. Here’s a small sample:

“He’s the real deal, explosive, physical, strong, gets off the line of scrimmage, makes you miss. … He’s not a big 6’5 type of guy but he plays plenty big and he gets separation easily. … He should be a dominant player in the league and has the makeup to be a No. 1 guy. … The thing I love most about him is how competitive he is, he has a lot of dog in him and it shows up on almost every snap.”

Watkins showed no hesitation in declaring his desire to match those rave reviews and furthered his cause with an impressive 4.43-second 40-yard dash Sunday afternoon.

“What I love doing is dominating defenses,” Watkins said. “I think that’s what I bring to the game and I think that’s going to turn over to the NFL. When I come into the NFL, I think I can be that dominant receiver.”

Bingo. This isn’t about the Rams needing to draft a receiver. This is about the Rams needing to draft THE receiver.

They’ve taken a receiver in each of the past nine years. They’ve selected wideouts in every round, alternately hoping for a diamond in the rough to pay off and betting on a highly touted prospect to pan out.

For those that have followed the team in the five years since Torry Holt’s time in St. Louis came to an end, the lack of a top threat has been glaring.

Since Holt and Isaac Bruce have departed, the Rams haven’t had one. They haven’t even had one that’s come close. No Rams wideout has reached even 700 receiving yards since Holt in 2008, nevermind 1,000 yards, which Holt hit in 2007.

Along the way, the Rams have been unable to find a top receiver for many reasons, not least of which includes some poor player evaluations, a lack of emphasis on the position and a little bit of bad luck.

For most of the past decade, the Rams have been one of the worst teams in the league. They’ve logged a 15-loss season, two 14-loss seasons and a 13-loss season, not to mention a 10-loss year in 2005.

Despite the lofty draft picks that go with those seasons, the Rams have never had the good fortune of having a high pick that corresponds to a season in which something as close to a can’t miss receiver prospect has been in the draft.

In the 2007 draft, Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson was clearly one of the two best players. Had the Rams had one of those awful seasons before then, perhaps they could have taken the man now regarded as the best wideout in the league. Instead, they managed to finish 8-8, the only .500 record they’ve had since 2004.

Entering the 2010 season, the Rams were in the midst of one of the worst runs of losing in league history. They’d posted a total of three wins in the 2008 and 2009 seasons but managed to take advantage of one of the league’s worst schedules and nearly won the NFC West division before losing to Seattle on the season’s final day.

Instead of having a top six pick in the 2011 draft with a shot at highly touted wideouts A.J. Green and Julio Jones, the Rams picked 14th. They did just fine landing end Robert Quinn but settled for Austin Pettis and Greg Salas in rounds three and four at receiver.

Sitting with the No. 2 pick in this year’s draft, it appears the Rams are almost certain to have a shot at Watkins. The question is whether they’re willing to again spend a top 10 pick on the position, especially when they’ve consistently preached the need for patience with their young receiving corps.

While patience is a reasonable request given how young that group is, there’s nothing that says adding more competition and a potential true No. 1 wideout to the mix would do anything but help the cause.

General manager Les Snead, who in January said the Rams don’t “need” a No. 1 type of receiver, offered a little more flexibility when asked about it again on Friday.

“I'll say this, any time in the draft, if you could add a really special player, that helps your team,” Snead said. “I think the biggest thing we need from the wide receiver group is experience, letting those guys get older but hey it’s a deep wide receiver class. It seems like every time you get a pick, there may be a good wide receiver on the board.”

Players like Texas A&M’s Mike Evans, LSU’s Odell Beckham, Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks and USC’s Marqise Lee are also considered potential first-round picks. Some might even turn out to be as good or better than Watkins.

But if Watkins is indeed the clear-cut best receiver in a strong class, why risk it? Considering how hard the organization has made it look replacing Holt and Bruce, wouldn’t simply drafting Watkins narrow the margin for error in evaluation or player development?

Maybe the Rams would love to trade down and still snag Watkins with a couple more picks in their pocket. But again, if he really is that type of player, why not just make sure he’s a Ram?

“I don’t think you can ever say no because if that player can help you then pick him,” Snead said. “And competition is not a bad thing either and having as many weapons as possible is not a bad thing either.”

Especially if that weapon is the one that’s been missing from your arsenal the longest.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I would stay put and take him. We could get Lewan at 13 easy. Or even tradin down 13 we could land Martin from ND.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Besides all of the obvious qualities Watkins brings to the table... I think my favorite part of his game is how he plays with vicious aggression. He punishes defenders, and he likes it. steve smith plays like that,,, and even though I hate that fucker,,, you gotta love what his physical play does for his team. I see Watkins as a younger more talented steve smith.

He's gonna wear defenders out with a vengeance for some fortunate team... I hope it's ours.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But don't miss out on this kid. I was unsure of who I liked more until this weekend, him or Evans. But it's clear now

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We had a shot at the best WR in the 2012 Draft. We passed on him not once, not twice, not three times, not four times but five times.

As far as Wagoner's argument is concerned, I still believe the Rams should take Jake Matthews. But we'll see how FA goes. There's potential for it to change my stance because my stance isn't personal, it's based on a specific criteria.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We had a shot at the best WR in the 2012 Draft. We passed on him not once, not twice, not three times, not four times but five times.

As far as Wagoner's argument is concerned, I still believe the Rams should take Jake Matthews. But we'll see how FA goes. There's potential for it to change my stance because my stance isn't personal, it's based on a specific criteria.

I feel like the depth at OT is pretty good that the guy we choose at 13 is gonna be a stud. But WR- I don't even like the thought of Marquees Lee. I think Watkins seems like a special talent. His after the catch is so good. I would hate to miss that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like the depth at OT is pretty good that the guy we choose at 13 is gonna be a stud. But WR- I don't even like the thought of Marquees Lee. I think Watkins seems like a special talent. His after the catch is so good. I would hate to miss that.

I feel oppositely but you're entitled to your opinion. I don't like Lewan or Kouandjio. Martin is a reach to me at #13. After Matthews and Robinson, I'm not taking an OT until the 2nd...and that's Tiny Richardson.

At WR, I love Mike Evans. I really like Odell Beckham Jr. In the 2nd, I really like Jordan Matthews. I even like guys beyond the 2nd.

And then additionally, there are players at other positions other than WR and OL that I like at #13 like Aaron Donald.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I wouldn't take Martin at 13. I was saying if we trade down. Lewan was talked as one of the top tackles last year. I think he has an edge that Matthews doesn't have.

Memphis Ram

Legend

The depth at WR in this draft is actually DEEPER than the depth at OT. And it's not even close, IMO.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Becham and Evans are guys that cause separation with their body. I like the thought of that, but I just don't wanna pass on Watkins and say what if 5 years down the road.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The depth at WR in this draft is actually DEEPER than the depth at OT. And it's not even close, IMO.

I know there are some good WR, but there aren't that many Elite guys. I don't think anyone but Robinson is Elite as far as Tackles go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't take Martin at 13. I was saying if we trade down. Lewan was talked as one of the top tackles last year. I think he has an edge that Matthews doesn't have.

He also has lacks a lot of things that Matthews has. And he has major character red flags.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What character red flags? I'm unaware. I haven't seen any reports

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What character red flags? I'm unaware. I haven't seen any reports

Questioned for assaulting an Ohio State fan outside a bar and reportedly used the n-word. Had some dirty plays on the field. Allegedly threatened to rape a girl if she pursued rape allegations against his roommate.

Memphis Ram

Legend
My argument against a Watkins selection, if he's not clearly the BPA:

Watkins may be closer to Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, than Blackmon, but he's still not at their level. He doesn't have their size and while it may have been primarily based upon Clemson's offense, 57.43% of his receptions came on screens. 70% of his receptions came within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

While many went ga-ga over Blackmon (not me), others in his draft class like Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, and Alshon Jeffrey have been very good. It's the same almost every year. Dez Bryant's class had Demaryius Thomas. Michael Crabtree's class had Hakim Nicks, Percy Harvin, & Mike Wallace. Even the great Calvin Johnson's class had Dwayne Bowe. And it will be the same this year in this DEEP WR draft class.

The Rams didn't have a WR break 700 yards because Bradford went down, they ran the ball so much which apparently looks to be the plan again this year, and they spread the ball out so much last year. I mean six players had 26 or more receptions on a team near the bottom of the league in passing attempts.

And finally, the team still doesn't know what they have with the young WRs already on the roster. One of which, they traded up into the top 10 to get just last year. And that even includes the expensive WR in a TE's body in Jared Cook. There aren't enough balls to go around now in a run first / balanced offfense.

Summary:

1) Watkins while very good is not in the class or Johnson, Green, & Jones.
2) This is a very DEEP WR draft class and history suggests there will be comparable results with others in the class.
3) The Rams aren't going to be a pass happy team and they didn't completely utilize the weapons already there.

fancents86

Starter
I don't like the fact of picking a wide receiver with our first pick mostly bc of the message it sends to the other receivers on the team. We spent 2 top draft picks on WR's in 2012, 2 more in 2013, and now we're going to use another on the same position??? No. Austin had trouble last season but I feel, and I sure most of us feel the same way, it was bc he was being used wrong. Bailey has shown he can be a go to guy and catch damn near anything. I'm not giving up in Givens or Quick either. You don't get the numbers Givens had his rookie season and not be something special. Only problem is every team last season had him on their radar. They saw what he could do and shut him down. Quick is coming along slow but at least he is improving. So why are we gonna horde a bunch of talented WR's and neglect our Oline which has been a weakness for almost a decade??

fancents86

Starter
Let's also not forget that we play in the NFC West, there is not one single defense in our conference that is lacking. We need a beefier Oline.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just can't wait until this draft has come and gone. I love draft talk and prospect banter, but...

Another 70 some days before I finally stop seeing threads about Watkins, Robinson and Matthews. Please help. :cry: