Nick Wagoner: Why Sammy Watkins Needs To Be A Ram

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
I don't like the fact of picking a wide receiver with our first pick mostly bc of the message it sends to the other receivers on the team. We spent 2 top draft picks on WR's in 2012, 2 more in 2013, and now we're going to use another on the same position??? No. Austin had trouble last season but I feel, and I sure most of us feel the same way, it was bc he was being used wrong. Bailey has shown he can be a go to guy and catch damn near anything. I'm not giving up in Givens or Quick either. You don't get the numbers Givens had his rookie season and not be something special. Only problem is every team last season had him on their radar. They saw what he could do and shut him down. Quick is coming along slow but at least he is improving. So why are we gonna horde a bunch of talented WR's and neglect our Oline which has been a weakness for almost a decade??

It really bugs me when people say 'we used Austin wrong.' I get it, he is special. But he is a WR, right? We threw him the ball, and he made some plays. He actually had a pretty good season for a rookie WR. He'll be fine but he is not a go to every down WR - if it's 3rd and 15 we probably aren't throwing to him. This team needs a WR, just as bad as we need OL. And please for the love of god quit using the Quick improving card. Please. He is not going to be a starting WR for us.

OL can be filled in FA and from the look of the players available, WR cannot. So try to fill some OL needs (LG) in FA and still draft an OL with one of our 1st rd picks. But the other 1st rd pick has to be used on a WR, sorry.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I just can't wait until this draft has come and gone. I love draft talk and prospect banter, but...

Another 70 some days before I finally stop seeing threads about Watkins, Robinson and Matthews. Please help. :cry:
Lightweight.

:p

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't like the fact of picking a wide receiver with our first pick mostly bc of the message it sends to the other receivers on the team. We spent 2 top draft picks on WR's in 2012, 2 more in 2013, and now we're going to use another on the same position??? No. Austin had trouble last season but I feel, and I sure most of us feel the same way, it was bc he was being used wrong. Bailey has shown he can be a go to guy and catch damn near anything. I'm not giving up in Givens or Quick either. You don't get the numbers Givens had his rookie season and not be something special. Only problem is every team last season had him on their radar. They saw what he could do and shut him down. Quick is coming along slow but at least he is improving. So why are we gonna horde a bunch of talented WR's and neglect our Oline which has been a weakness for almost a decade??

I support the message it's telling our WRs. It's saying we are not fucking around and will not tolerate bottom of the league production from our WRs anymore. Bailey/Givens/Quick should have their game face on because it's gonna be a heated battle for that #2 spot, and the engendered competition will only benefit us.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We must take him. We need him. What I do think is that we can trade down to 4 or 6 and still get him though - and get another pick to boot. Its a risk but I think "Riverboat Les" should go for it.

fancents86

Starter
It really bugs me when people say 'we used Austin wrong.' I get it, he is special. But he is a WR, right? We threw him the ball, and he made some plays. He actually had a pretty good season for a rookie WR. He'll be fine but he is not a go to every down WR - if it's 3rd and 15 we probably aren't throwing to him. This team needs a WR, just as bad as we need OL. And please for the love of god quit using the Quick improving card. Please. He is not going to be a starting WR for us.

OL can be filled in FA and from the look of the players available, WR cannot. So try to fill some OL needs (LG) in FA and still draft an OL with one of our 1st rd picks. But the other 1st rd pick has to be used on a WR, sorry.
I see what you,re saying, but look at what plays Austin succeeded in the most. He is great when he can get open. Most of the plays that he was involved in were from 3-5 yds out from the line of scrimmage, in total coverage. Yes he is a wr, but every wr has strengths and weaknesses. That's why there are different positions for receivers. And I will continue to use the "Quick improving" card bc last season I was not screaming at my tv bc of him, like I did his rookie season. I was actually happy with his plays.

ausmurp

Starter
My argument against a Watkins selection, if he's not clearly the BPA:

Watkins may be closer to Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, than Blackmon, but he's still not at their level. He doesn't have their size and while it may have been primarily based upon Clemson's offense, 57.43% of his receptions came on screens. 70% of his receptions came within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

While many went ga-ga over Blackmon (not me), others in his draft class like Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, and Alshon Jeffrey have been very good. It's the same almost every year. Dez Bryant's class had Demaryius Thomas. Michael Crabtree's class had Hakim Nicks, Percy Harvin, & Mike Wallace. Even the great Calvin Johnson's class had Dwayne Bowe. And it will be the same this year in this DEEP WR draft class.

The Rams didn't have a WR break 700 yards because Bradford went down, they ran the ball so much which apparently looks to be the plan again this year, and they spread the ball out so much last year. I mean six players had 26 or more receptions on a team near the bottom of the league in passing attempts.

And finally, the team still doesn't know what they have with the young WRs already on the roster. One of which, they traded up into the top 10 to get just last year. And that even includes the expensive WR in a TE's body in Jared Cook. There aren't enough balls to go around now in a run first / balanced offfense.

Summary:

1) Watkins while very good is not in the class or Johnson, Green, & Jones.
2) This is a very DEEP WR draft class and history suggests there will be comparable results with others in the class.
3) The Rams aren't going to be a pass happy team and they didn't completely utilize the weapons already there.

Blackmon is elite, he is just an idiot. With no QB in 4 games he posted 415 yds receiving. In fact in his rookie yr with no QB he posted over 800 yds receiving. If we had Blackmon there is a good chance he would've done even better with Bradford as QB.

Watkins is pretty much the exact same size as Blackmon.

There will be other good WRs yes, but in those examples: Jeffrey was most NFL ready, just like Keenan Allen. Jeffrey plays next to an elite WR. Floyd plays next to an elite WR. Blackmon has no help at all. It's always hard to judge bc it's a team game but to me Blackmon is the clear cut best individual WR in that draft if you don't take off field issues, and take who he plays with, into account.

6 players had that many receptions because we don't have one that can handle more and be consistant.

With a pocket QB we are and will not ever be a run first offense. Balanced yes, but run first will not work unless we get a running QB. We will surely be throwing and running at 50/50 if not more throws on the season.

Draft analysis is tough, but usually you can tell when a player is a 'blue chip' type of player, that can come in and start and produce right away, ala Green and Jones, Blackmon, Luck and RG3, the list goes on. Yes some don't pan out but Watkins fits the mold of the blue chip WR and we haven't had one since Holt. We don't have one now. Austin can be a monster but he is not a go to WR who can get a 1st down in double coverage on 3rd and 15. I mean come on, aren't you tired of punting after failing to convert a 3rd and 15? I know I am. I am so tired of it.

I'm just stirring up discussion really, I wan't Matthews with our first pick. Then a WR with 13.

iced

We had a shot at the best WR in the 2012 Draft. We passed on him not once, not twice, not three times, not four times but five times.

As far as Wagoner's argument is concerned, I still believe the Rams should take Jake Matthews. But we'll see how FA goes. There's potential for it to change my stance because my stance isn't personal, it's based on a specific criteria.

And the last time the Rams Drafted a receiver in the top 10, they won a superbowl. :cool::D

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm just stirring up discussion really, I wan't Matthews with our first pick. Then a WR with 13.

Its the other way round for me. The reason - drop off between top prospect and the rest. With me, I think we could take Watkins at WR - or Mike Evans. After that its really open if whether we'd be looking at upgrading or not. With the Tackles, we could take either Lewan, Matthews or Robinson and still be very happy. One of them should be available at 13 - Sammy Watkins wont be.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Why draft Watkins when we can give our existing young WR corps another year to develop? Besides, we have far bigger needs elsewhere.

Watkins isn't Megatron or AJ Green; heck, he isn't even Julio Jones.

If Quick, Givens, Austin, Bailey and company fail to impress in 2014, we have Cooper and DGB as viable targets in next year's draft

Memphis Ram

Legend
Blackmon is elite, he is just an idiot. With no QB in 4 games he posted 415 yds receiving. In fact in his rookie yr with no QB he posted over 800 yds receiving. If we had Blackmon there is a good chance he would've done even better with Bradford as QB.

Watkins is pretty much the exact same size as Blackmon.

There will be other good WRs yes, but in those examples: Jeffrey was most NFL ready, just like Keenan Allen. Jeffrey plays next to an elite WR. Floyd plays next to an elite WR. Blackmon has no help at all. It's always hard to judge bc it's a team game but to me Blackmon is the clear cut best individual WR in that draft if you don't take off field issues, and take who he plays with, into account.

6 players had that many receptions because we don't have one that can handle more and be consistant.

With a pocket QB we are and will not ever be a run first offense. Balanced yes, but run first will not work unless we get a running QB. We will surely be throwing and running at 50/50 if not more throws on the season.

Draft analysis is tough, but usually you can tell when a player is a 'blue chip' type of player, that can come in and start and produce right away, ala Green and Jones, Blackmon, Luck and RG3, the list goes on. Yes some don't pan out but Watkins fits the mold of the blue chip WR and we haven't had one since Holt. We don't have one now. Austin can be a monster but he is not a go to WR who can get a 1st down in double coverage on 3rd and 15. I mean come on, aren't you tired of punting after failing to convert a 3rd and 15? I know I am. I am so tired of it.

How did Justin Blackmon make all those catches with no QB? And it looks like Cecil "No help at all" Shorts put up good numbers without one, too. BTW, even Brian Hartline had similiar stats in 2012 and he's not elite. And the Dolphins went out and got Wallace and Gibson last offseason.

BTW, I said run-first/balanced offense. Not just run-first. My definition is a balanced offense with slightly more rushing attempts than passing attempts. And that's been done quite a bit with a pocket QB. And most importantly, that appears to be the plan for the Rams this upcoming season.

Last edited:

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Why draft Watkins when we can give our existing young WR corps another year to develop? Besides, we have far bigger needs elsewhere.

Watkins isn't Megatron or AJ Green; heck, he isn't even Julio Jones.

If Quick, Givens, Austin, Bailey and company fail to impress in 2014, we have Cooper and DGB as viable targets in next year's draft

To assume the Rams will be in position to draft a top WR next year is difficult.
I don't think they would want to trade up if that's what it may take.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If the rams have to stay put at #2 i would elect for Robinson. Have him start at LG then consider cutting Jake Long in 2015 or 2016 if Robinson needs another year to develop his pass rushing skills.
But the rams will find a trading partner so it wont matter. I just hope that they stack draft picks for this year and stop aiming for next year and the next year

Ram_of_Old

I say we take Watkins at number two and get the best O Lineman on the board.

lockdnram21

Legend

bingo thats how i feel.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins is a super smooth athlete and I think he is the guy we need to take some attention away from our stud slot receivers/TE's. If defemses can still get away with clogging the middle then there's a problem. Chris Givens showed me a lot against SF. He's not tough enough, Watkins is. Him and Quick can split reps opposite of Watkins. Neither deserve full playing time, anyway. Neither are complete WR's, Sammy is.

I'd love to grab Robinson, too, but I don't wanna trade up for him after picking Sammy. It puts more of an emphasis on Saffold.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We have no WO like Sammy. Givens and Quick didn't scare our rivals last year at all. We need a guy who they actually need to worry about.

Quick just doesn't get it
Givens hears the footsteps of ghosts
Pettis has athleticism issues
Bailey is coming around

That's screams mediocre and we are very luck we found our running game. You gotta have more than that to beat Seattle and SF. We can't just run the ball against them.

But heck, I also like Robinson but would still pick Sammy just because Givens and Quick tick me off more than our OL. Actually our OL did OK, our WO's suck to some degree.