Nick Foles is Excellent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
...at handing the ball off. I know the pass blocking has been bad but I hope Foles gets it together soon. The good news is he looked way better when they went no huddle so maybe they can mix that in more in the games to come. In the meantime he better be happy #30 is standing behind him.
Fisher will put a stop to that no-huddle malarkey, he doesn't like that usually ....

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm happy with Foles, our #1 QB is still on the field of play, he does seem to make plays (they need to stop passing to Cookie though) give him time guys - I do think that Mannion could be the face of the Rams for years to come, get our young o-line working together for the season and they'll be one of the best units next year which will lead to better QB play, which will lead to more yards through the air, I've seen some sweet passes and catches this year, and we've won games when we've played poorly.

I'm a Rams fan, I'll take any win, good bad or ugly. When we start wining 95% of our games at all times, then I'll start picking on poor play ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I fully support Foles as a stop-gap solution, but IMO he's too slow in terms of his release, his feet and his field survey(although our WR's not getting any consistent separation magnifies all of these things i mention).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, so you are counting on us sucking so bad we get the #1 Pick? We are not getting Goff.

I'm not counting on anything. It's too early to know where we'll be picking and where Goff and the other QBs will be going.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Foles definitely seems a bit slow in his.....well, everything. From the 2013 video I have watched of him, he esemed a lot more decisive and his release looked a bit quicker. He is still learning this offense however, so we have got to give him some time. Oh, and the OL has to get their head out of their ass also. I saw Jamon Brown getting manhandled today. That is not a good sign.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Foles is definitely a work in progression, hopefully they can tighten up some of his biggest flaws and make him semi passable. I don't know why people are so surprised. You don't get a perennial hall of famer for somebody who played only 7 games in 2 years that supposedly isn't all that good to begin with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
lol. I'm slightly suprised he got extended so early on (wasn't it in camp?!). We won't be drafting high any point soon (I hope) so if we're targeting a QBOTF we better do some real scouting....

Or we could wait till Philly cut Sam Bradford and pick him up on the waiver wire after they've rehabbed him for us (just kidding.....kind of).

I consider the Green Bay game as just a bad game for the offense besides Gurley...The Oline was abused by a veteran Dline in Lambeau, one of THE hardest places to win at, period. Before considering drafting another QB, shouldn't we wait to see what we have in Mannion? Foles can help us win..he's a leader...and he doesn't tear his ACL every year (knock on wood). Get our Oline up to speed, protecting Foles, and we may discover that Foles is the guy we need.

If Mannion is the guy, he can beat out other competition. This team should not be their future on Mannion.

JMO but Foles is a bridge QB not a franchise QB.

It seems that Fisher is trying to spare Mannion from playing behind a rookie Oline. They don't want him to have to learn the NFL and be pounded at the same time, a la David Carr. So they signed Foles to be the place holder like jrry said. They figure it will take the Oline into the second season to gel and be good enough to get Mannion some touches. Then they will decide if they want to sign Foles long term or go with Mannion. Signing Foles was not all that risky and actually pretty good management considering they waited until everything else was in place to draft the bulk of their Oline in the last two years of their rebuilding plan. (I still don't get that logic). I think Rookies learn faster next to veterans, but I am not an offensive genius like Jeff Fisher.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I must have missed something..We won yesterday, didn't we?

fancents86

Starter
I'm with loyal ram on this. Everyone wants to find Kurt Warner 2.0, but that's obvious that's not what fisher is looking for. We don't need a gunslinger with fishers offense, we need a guy who can move the chains and occasionally throw it deep if need be. That's Foles. Give him protection and he should be fine.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with loyal ram on this. Everyone wants to find Kurt Warner 2.0, but that's obvious that's not what fisher is looking for. We don't need a gunslinger with fishers offense, we need a guy who can move the chains and occasionally throw it deep if need be. That's Foles. Give him protection and he should be fine.
I wouldn't mind the next Kurt Warner, but that was a fluke/luck thing..I am counting us to be picking in the 20's next year. MANY teams have won Super Bowls without an elite QB, so other methods of being good (IE an excellent run game and an efficient QB, along witha stifling defense), most recently the Hawks....There are too many teams with so few elite QB's available every year....win with what you have.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I'm not sure Foles is the guy to move the chains. He'll throw an occasional deep ball and it worked yesterday. But Gurley is the guy who moves the chains. Maybe its not as bad as my eyes remember, but we sure seem to have a lot of 3 and outs. And how long did it take to convert a 3rd down yesterday?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure Foles is the guy to move the chains. He'll throw an occasional deep ball and it worked yesterday. But Gurley is the guy who moves the chains. Maybe its not as bad as my eyes remember, but we sure seem to have a lot of 3 and outs. And how long did it take to convert a 3rd down yesterday?

When he realizes Stedman Bailey is an automatic first down on 3rd and 8 or 9 he'll start moving the chains more regularly. When he stops looking at Jared Cook for those conversions...

fearsomefour

Legend
After further review, yea he was short, you were right. However that was still a great pass none the less. And he's slow on his reads and holds the ball? This is what you need to do in order to help establish an intermediate to deep passing game, do you want him to consistently dump the ball down? If he had taken more sacks, I might have agreed with your notion but for the most part, he stood tall in the pocket today. And with all the hits he's taken, I find it impressive he's still standing tall and scanning the field, looking through his reads instead of constant dumping down. With your grade, yea I'd probs give him a C+ or B-. Nothing special today, but he did have some key passes and didn't turn the ball over. Our defense and running game were the major players in todays win, but Foles piloted the plane well today.
He did a nice job of looking middle and holding the safety on that play. Britt adjusted nicely to the throw. It was a very nice play. I am not bagging on Foles. He just has some limitations to his game, which almost all QBs have.
The book on him has been he he is slow finding secondary guys and reads. It is hard to tell watching the game if he is not finding guys or if they are not getting open. On plenty of plays there is not much separation.
You are 100% correct that playing teams like Cleveland, SF ect, teams the Rams should beat not turning it over is key.

lockdnram21

Legend
lol. I'm slightly suprised he got extended so early on (wasn't it in camp?!). We won't be drafting high any point soon (I hope) so if we're targeting a QBOTF we better do some real scouting....

Or we could wait till Philly cut Sam Bradford and pick him up on the waiver wire after they've rehabbed him for us (just kidding.....kind of).
That would be a step back. He sucks

Sum1

Hall of Fame
We are going to need Foles to do more than just not turn the ball over. It took more than that yesterday really...he had to make a big pass to Britt. Score wise the game may have already been won, but 10-6 is a big difference from 17-6 at that point in the game and it would have allowed Cleveland to react differently.

If all we needed was a QB to not turn the ball over we could stick anyone back there and just never throw it. I realize that's simplifying the point, but we will need Foles to score some points with his arm at some point. Likewise, we will need some receivers to step up and make something happen. Catching the ball (like Britt did) in a key spot is a huge first step...next we need to hold onto it after a big catch (Hello, Mr. Cook!!!!).

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
...at handing the ball off. I know the pass blocking has been bad but I hope Foles gets it together soon. The good news is he looked way better when they went no huddle so maybe they can mix that in more in the games to come. In the meantime he better be happy #30 is standing behind him.
One thing for sure, we can't keep depending on Gurley to pull our bacon out of the fire, so to speak. Our Offence needs more than just the Run game!!
Even back in the "Old Days", before the League became "Pass Happy" Teams knew the needed to do more than just RUN! ( In 1951 the Rams had Towler and Fears, But they also had Hirsch!)

V3

Hall of Fame
The good news is he looked way better when they went no huddle so maybe they can mix that in more in the games to come.
Unless he's changed, Fisher doesn't do no-huddle much. When Fisher first got here, Bradford had a game against the Giants where the O looked unstoppable when they went no-huddle. It got to the point that the Giants' defensive players started faking injuries to stop play. If I remember correctly, they didn't use the no-huddle much more in that game or for the rest of the season. Reporters asked Fisher why not use the no-huddle more since it worked so well and he said he doesn't like to use it because it risks putting the D back on the field too fast.

There are many responses to that but none of them matter. Unless Fisher had a change of heart, I wouldn't get your hopes up for the no-huddle being used much.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We don't need a QB to run Fisher's offense, we don't need a great WR..

No wonder Fisher is at .500 for his career. He only fields a third of an offense.

fancents86

Starter
Foles may not look like the guy, but I don't think many would with our young oline. I think our oline is gonna look like this the rest of the year considering they haven't shown improvement as of yet. If Foles looks like this when/if our oline comes together I'd still want to try Mannion instead of looking for a qb in the draft. Unless there's a scenario like the one with Gurley where he's just sitting there when it's out turn to pick.