Nick Foles - Film Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
In terms of build and physical skill-set, I'd say Matt Schaub(the younger version).

Without the Schaub penchant for always turning the ball over at the worst of times I should hope.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry thanks for the work and breakdown, I appreciate it A TON and even when we disagree and I come away thinking your full of crap I know you did your homework and formed your opinion on more than a whim. This was a thorough piece of work unlike any we have seen in the short time since the trade went down. iguessxhasbeentoworriedaboutthatalaskagigtomakeafolesvideoforus.

Can you post the videos you watched or provide links. I'd love to put eyes on his year last year. Especially the two games where he played like crap and essentially lost the games. I want to see him at his worst so to speak.

Again thanks for the breakdown it was great. (y)

I used NFL Rewind. Can't really provide links.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
The more I think about it...I'm not liking Foles too much...decent arm, good accuracy, bad mechanics...I dunno, I'm nervous about this trade. I'm thinking Bradford hits his stride in Philly and we're left with average play at QB, above average best case scenario...at this point I would've rather traded sam for the late first, if at all, and used that pick to move up and grab Mariota

TexasRam

Legend
Just keep in mind. The same standard that QBs are just on to project their success was used on Tom Brady and Kurt Warner. Leaving them as unfit to waste a valuable pick on.

And many many had leaf and Couch and the rest as fitting the profile.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I decided to NFL Rewind a random week from Nick Foles' rookie season - it happened to be the second game against the Cowboys that year (2012). The Eagles lost the game but Foles looked pretty solid for the most part. Jrry has the write up to read - if Weinke can help with his footwork and mechanics letdowns Foles has an opportunity to be very good for us.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Proper footwork will get more zip on a ball.
Core strength, lower body work, throwing drills, and proper fundamentals, footwork.

And if none of that works, pay a fall guy to take air out of the football.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Core strength, lower body work, throwing drills, and proper fundamentals, footwork.

And if none of that works, pay a fall guy to take air out of the football.
I vote this post to the ROD HOD :)

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Excellent analysis as always jrry. Bradford did an exceptional job under center but was always a rhythm QB who needed a spark to have good production. While that is a viable skillset, it doesn't help when the team around you isn't doing its job. Chip's system complements Bradford well as he'll go back to Oklahoma roots on frequent shotgun formations while Foles will operate in a pro-style offense. The last time Foles operated under a pro-style offense was under Reid's last season in Philly, even though the production was okay, he should improve much better here with NFL experience; I just hope the offense is more reliant on players executing than forcing the scheme on the players.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yes, yes, and more yes @jrry32 .

Finishing up the Houston game now. Should have time later tonight to watch some of '13. Really needs to work on his feet, and I hope he's open to that. What were your thoughts on the SF game and all of the NFC west games in general? Does this team really think they're going to get by without putting an offensive line in front of this kid?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, yes, and more yes @jrry32 .

Finishing up the Houston game now. Should have time later tonight to watch some of '13. Really needs to work on his feet, and I hope he's open to that. What were your thoughts on the SF game and all of the NFC west games in general? Does this team really think they're going to get by without putting an offensive line in front of this kid?

I hope not. Hopefully, we'll have some movement on the Barksdale and Blalock fronts this week. Foles needs an OL.

He's a QB, he better be open to polishing his mechanics or he can find work elsewhere. ;)

My thoughts on the SF game were that he wasn't as bad as the stats suggest...although he wasn't good either. His two picks came on what was essentially a late 4th quarter hail mary and on a deep ball that came up short because he got hit when he threw. The deep ball probably wasn't the best decision with the coverage he was facing but it likely wouldn't have been picked if he hadn't gotten hit. The 4th quarter INT was a throwaway. It was with like 40 seconds left deep in their own territory on 4th and 24. Need a miracle there either ways.

But, overall, wasn't a good game for him.

The Jaguar game was the one where I felt he looked really bad. Easily his worst game of the year.

The games against Arizona and us were inconsistent. Made some nice plays but also made some bad decisions...that all said, his OL didn't help him out much. However, I will say that he made a couple "OMG" plays against Arizona. The throw I linked earlier was gorgeous and that last play of the game where Arizona brought the house was pretty amazing. He dropped the ball in the corner of the end-zone and his WR actually caught it but was pushed out of bounds before he could get his feet down. Would have been the game winner as time expired. Pretty amazing play all things considered.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I watched the '13 Tampa game and '14 Washington (home) game today. Both were statistically strong games... so I started there.

I don't have much to add except in those games he got a lot of yards from YAC. He made some nice throws in tight windows. Got away with some mistakes (but they all do).

I like his shoulder fake. He uses that a lot.

He seemed to scan the field well in these games, getting to his check downs efficiently, etc.

He looked comfortable out there in these two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched the '13 Tampa game and '14 Washington (home) game today. Both were statistically strong games... so I started there.

I don't have much to add except in those games he got a lot of yards from YAC. He made some nice throws in tight windows. Got away with some mistakes (but they all do).

I like his shoulder fake. He uses that a lot.

He seemed to scan the field well in these games, getting to his check downs efficiently, etc.

He looked comfortable out there in these two.

I'll add this...from watching him, I do get the feeling that Foles has the "clutch" gene late in games.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000107961/Foles-to-Maclin-game-winning-touchdown
http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/v...nal-play/8e32a580-ceb2-422a-8525-38c810734a59

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I supported Bradford because he passed the "eye test" on the field. Stats be damned. It's a team sport.

I need to see more from Foles, but when I compare him to Glennon ('13 Tampa game) he was more poised.

When I say "he looked comfortable" he looked natural, to me.

Foles has potential. You don't do what he did in '13 on luck.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I supported Bradford because he passed the "eye test" on the field. Stats be damned. It's a team sport.

I need to see more from Foles, but when I compare him to Glennon ('13 Tampa game) he was more poised.

When I say "he looked comfortable" he looked natural, to me.

Foles has potential. You don't do what he did in '13 on luck.

I'd say that there was definitely some luck to it...but at the same time, there's no way it's pure luck. Talent and skill definitely come into it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd say that there was definitely some luck to it...but at the same time, there's no way it's pure luck. Talent and skill definitely come into it.

No question that TD to INT ratio involved some luck. You can't put the ball into the air at that rate without a tip or miscommunication resulting in INT.

Hell of a stretch.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I hope not. Hopefully, we'll have some movement on the Barksdale and Blalock fronts this week. Foles needs an OL.

He's a QB, he better be open to polishing his mechanics or he can find work elsewhere. ;)

My thoughts on the SF game were that he wasn't as bad as the stats suggest...although he wasn't good either. His two picks came on what was essentially a late 4th quarter hail mary and on a deep ball that came up short because he got hit when he threw. The deep ball probably wasn't the best decision with the coverage he was facing but it likely wouldn't have been picked if he hadn't gotten hit. The 4th quarter INT was a throwaway. It was with like 40 seconds left deep in their own territory on 4th and 24. Need a miracle there either ways.

But, overall, wasn't a good game for him.

The Jaguar game was the one where I felt he looked really bad. Easily his worst game of the year.

The games against Arizona and us were inconsistent. Made some nice plays but also made some bad decisions...that all said, his OL didn't help him out much. However, I will say that he made a couple "OMG" plays against Arizona. The throw I linked earlier was gorgeous and that last play of the game where Arizona brought the house was pretty amazing. He dropped the ball in the corner of the end-zone and his WR actually caught it but was pushed out of bounds before he could get his feet down. Would have been the game winner as time expired. Pretty amazing play all things considered.

Think I described the Jags game as terrible haha. Anyway, he just doesn't seem comfortable in the offense to me or something I can't put my finger on it. It's the same one he ran in 2013 though right? Inconsistent is a pretty good word. He's a gunslinger at heart. When things go his way he looks amazing. Then when they don't he looks absolutely terrible. Just like every one before him. I like his skill set though. If he's coachable I think he can become a pretty good player. We really need to find a line for him though, or else this experiment will be over very soon. It doesn't matter how much we work on footwork if he's running for his life every play. Speaking of footwork, not a NFL coach, but I imagine a lot of these deep throws can be fixed by simply NOT THROWING THEM OFF YOUR BACK FOOT. Ahem... Sorry, but that will drive me nuts if he does this in horns too.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Think I described the Jags game as terrible haha. Anyway, he just doesn't seem comfortable in the offense to me or something I can't put my finger on it. It's the same one he ran in 2013 though right? Inconsistent is a pretty good word. He's a gunslinger at heart. When things go his way he looks amazing. Then when they don't he looks absolutely terrible. Just like every one before him. I like his skill set though. If he's coachable I think he can become a pretty good player. We really need to find a line for him though, or else this experiment will be over very soon. It doesn't matter how much we work on footwork if he's running for his life every play. Speaking of footwork, not a NFL coach, but I imagine a lot of these deep throws can be fixed by simply NOT THROWING THEM OFF YOUR BACK FOOT. Ahem... Sorry, but that will drive me nuts if he does this in horns too.

Here's what I like about Foles; he's not afraid to put the work in.

There is some natural talent there, everyone sees it. The stats prove it.

Being a hard worker, at the very least we'll get his best. Sounds like a perfect St. Louis kinda guy.