Nick Foles - Film Review

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's what Daniel Jeremiah (an Eagles scout at the time Foles was drafted) had to say about his work ethic in his scouting report:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/2/6/7991361/nick-foles-scouting-report-eagles-weight-room

The guy is 6'6, 245 lbs, looks like he has a normal build for a QB his height, if not larger than normal when compared to Mike Glennon for example. Not everyone wants to be as chubby as Big Ben. ;)

Btw, Bradford never really proved he could connect deep with Tavon, though that's mostly because he never really tried. He only had one deep pass completed to him against Carolina that was called back, Kellen Clemens actually had better luck in that department lol.

This only helps your argument on build but he's technically 6'5"(although sites list him at 6'6"). I didn't see any strength or size issues on the field. He was pretty strong for a QB.

And agreed...for most QBs, it would not be beneficial to be as big as Roethlisberger. Don't think Foles has nimble enough feet to pull it off.

Tweed335

UDFA
Thanks for the write up and analysis, Jer!

My conclusion to your scouting is, get the man an O-line. Obvious, I know. But, I assume his mechanics weren't sound due to rushing his throws/reads behind a porous O-line. Unfortunately, as you stated, he did not step into a situation that remedies that right away. However, the deal with the other issues of risk taking, aggressiveness, and Andy Dalton type ceiling, is I'll take those in a heartbeat if it means we're playing meaningful ball at the beginning of 2016. I'm not asking for a Super Bowl this year, but it'd be nice to be invited to the dance.

Thanks again, Jer. I think the Rams have improved their QB position with this trade, even if it is only due to availability and health, and I wish Sam well in Philly too.

TexasRam

Legend
Peyton manning 1st year abysmal.

year 2 ...26td 15 int rating 90

Year 4 26 td 23 int rating 83

Brady, manning, brees, Rodgers.

They all take years to become great.

With Foles he broke even the greatest records in year 1.

Scout him all you want.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Football is projecting a QBs Success evades even the most confident scout.

Go ask Warner.

A lot depends on system fit and a few unknown dynamics that are unseen.

In Foles case he has been to the mountaintop, which gives one confidence he can get there again.

Oh and he's real young.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton manning 1st year abysmal.

year 2 ...26td 15 int rating 90

Year 4 26 td 23 int rating 83

Brady, manning, brees, Rodgers.

They all take years to become great.

With Foles he broke even the greatest records in year 1.

Scout him all you want.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about Football is projecting a QBs Success evades even the most confident scout.

Go ask Warner.

A lot depends on system fit and a few unknown dynamics that are unseen.

In Foles case he has been to the mountaintop, which gives one confidence he can get there again.

Oh and he's real young.

I am just giving you a breakdown of what's on film and where he can improve. It's up to him to do the improving. Success at QB, more than any other position, is based on instincts and mental acuity. Fortunately for us, Foles doesn't seem to be lacking in either one. How good he will be all depends on how he develops mentally and technically.

But yes, taking the time to watch the guy play gives you a much better idea of what he's capable of than just looking at the stats out there.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Not really good or bad. 2012 & 2013 Dalton gave Cincy an average of 30 TDs, 18 Ints, and a 88.1 QB Rating. I'd say Foles's production will probably be somewhere reasonably close to that. Maybe a little less on all three. 26 TDs, 16 Ints, and a 86ish QB Rating. Or something like that. I think that's a fairly reasonable expectation. We'll see I guess. :)
The question for me is.... Will that level of QB play get us to the playoffs?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The question for me is.... Will that level of QB play get us to the playoffs?

If the other parts of the team play up to potential, it should. IMO, would have gotten us to the playoffs in 2014.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Here's what Daniel Jeremiah (an Eagles scout at the time Foles was drafted) had to say about his work ethic in his scouting report:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/2/6/7991361/nick-foles-scouting-report-eagles-weight-room

The guy is 6'6, 245 lbs, looks like he has a normal build for a QB his height, if not larger than normal when compared to Mike Glennon for example. Not everyone wants to be as chubby as Big Ben. ;)

Btw, Bradford never really proved he could connect deep with Tavon, though that's mostly because he never really tried. He only had one deep pass completed to him against Carolina that was called back, Kellen Clemens actually had better luck in that department lol.
i believe tavon had a huge game against indy and some flashes in other games. but still Foles just looks pretty thin he could get a little Andrew Luck thick and he's 6,4 240lbs. if he's so athletic then why not. just a thought

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that'll be on Tavon. If Tavon improves his route running and understanding of the offense, I don't see why not. I think a guy like Tavon would probably work a bit better for Foles as a deep threat because Foles really isn't much of a 50/50 guy on his deep balls. He has a tendency to try to put it out in front of his guy which leads to some overthrows. But for a guy like Tavon that can run under it, I can certainly see it being an effective combination. But like I said, Tavon's gotta do some improving this off-season.

The only mild concern I have is that Foles had some issues with missing wide open drag routes(i.e. not seeing the WR or pulling the trigger too late). Which is something that should be Austin's bread and butter here. Hopefully, he'll do a better job of spotting it with the Rams.

Now is definitely the time to use Tavon like Desean Jackson.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Here is the number one reason we should all like Nick Foles even for the posters who did not embrace the trade:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the other parts of the team play up to potential, it should. IMO, would have gotten us to the playoffs in 2014.

Okay there is something about Foles I just like and sometimes you can't put under a microscope...The"It" factor for example leading his team to victory against the Redskins with a broken clavicle and he seems to have the mental makeup of a competent field general.

Teams have to believe in their Quarterback that against all odds, he can lead you to victory and that is one asset IMO, that Foles brings to the table. Also not having the fear of making the big play and checking down when you're in need of the big play.

Warner to Proehl was a good example of that taking your shot when different options were called. Also from what I have viewed from Foles and he does have the ability to at least extend the plays and keep the chains moving and that all I can ask for from that standpoint.

IMO, he likes to sling it and I understand that some pundits will write about his demise strictly on the basis that Father Chip Kelly gave up on him and wanted to go in another direction. Well, fine, but I remember the hit Bradford took in Cleveland and if he had just taken the hit and went to the ground all would've been fine, but he tried to stay up and twist and poof another season was gone.

Now Foles is not exactly Cal Ripken either and the Rams need to fix their offensive toute sweet, however, he's big and come over the top so less balls will be batted down than Bradford and again IMO, I think one of his greatest attributes is leadership and they way he goes about his craft and IMO, that will be plus as he leads the St. Louis Rams to post season in 2015 and Chip Kelly proves to the city of brotherly love, that it's not always sunny in Philadelphia.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I spent some time today going back and watching every pass Foles through in 2014. Planning to go back through 2013 when I have the chance as well. Here are my general observations:
  • Foles doesn't have Bradford's arm strength. He doesn't get the same amount of velocity on the passes outside the hashes(they can hang a bit at times). His arm is middle of the pack but it's definitely adequate. It won't hinder our offense. We just won't have the deep out, deep comeback, and throws like that be as much a part of the offense with Foles as they were with Bradford.
  • Foles needs to be more consistent with his timing on routes. Shows great anticipation at times and at other times, he holds the ball too long and forces passes late.
  • Foles's decision making needs work. He's definitely got a gunslinger mentality out there. There are too many plays where he should just live to play another day but tries to make something out of nothing. It works on occasion but he also risks a lot of turnovers doing it. Honestly, if he continues to struggle with it and I were Weinke, I might have him at the start of every practice do a drill where he rolls out and throws the ball away just to prove a point. Because he needs to play smarter.
  • Foles needs to do a better job with his post-snap reads and coming off his first progression. Made some dangerous throws when he tried to force it to his first progression based on what he read pre-snap.
  • Foles's feet should be the Rams' #1 priority in developing his game. I don't think he was a good fit for the Eagles system simply because of how often they had him play-action it out of the gun and then try to transition into a quick pass. And Foles just was not good at resetting his feet quickly after the play-action fake which led to a lot of inaccurate throws. He definitely seemed a lot more comfortable under center. His drops, while methodical, allowed him to be a lot more controlled with his feet. The Rams coaching staff really needs to stress setting and resetting his feet as well as driving the ball with authority. He just is very inconsistent with his lower half and it adversely affects his accuracy.
  • His deep accuracy is definitely scatter-shot. Some of it is related to the previous issues with his feet but that's certainly not all of it. He made some beautiful throws including dropping a ball into the bucket from 60+ yards away to Maclin against Arizona(the play linked). However, he also overthrew open WRs and TEs quite a bit on deeper throws. It's an area where he needs to really improve because you can't squander opportunities like that in the NFL.
  • Foles needs to show better composure under pressure. The Eagles OL was Rams OL bad in some games this year. They just were a sieve. But Foles needs to do a better job of hanging in the pocket and creating space within the pocket. He flashes that ability but I swear the guy thinks he's Michael Vick with how often he tries to scramble towards the sidelines to buy time. He's not athletic enough to outrun most DEs in this league but certainly tries to. The Rams really need to fix the interior and get it to a point that Foles is comfortable with it so he'll step up in the pocket rather than looking to scramble.
  • I have a feeling some might be concerned that Foles will be hesitant to test tight windows coming out of Kelly's offense...don't be. He showed no fear when it came to putting the ball into very tight spaces and generally did an effective job of it...especially when he was sound in the lower half.
  • Foles is surprisingly hard to sack. He's a big guy and while he looks skinny(especially in the arms), he's surprisingly strong and difficult to get off his feet. He broke quite a few tackles in 2014 and extended plays by refusing to go down. Although, he also coughed up the ball on a few plays when he did that. He was also able to throw out of some sacks due to his ability to stay on his feet with guys holding onto him.
  • Definitely not afraid to take off and run for yardage if there's a lane. That was an issue that I had with Sam. He'd have a running lane to an easy first down and he'd refuse to take it. Foles will definitely take off if there's a lane there. But he'll also keep his eyes up until he passes the LOS the majority of the time in case something comes open.
Verdict

My personal opinion is that Foles is much better suited for an offense like ours than Chip Kelly's. As I stated above, he seemed a lot more comfortable under center than he did in the gun...especially when it came to play-action fakes. I think our quick passing offense will be something that he's more comfortable with as he seemed at his best when the Eagles let him get into a rhythm with quick passes although he's not a guy to shy away from deep shots. I also think that our coaching staff will give him a bit more freedom than Kelly did. But that's just an assumption I'm making. It seemed like Kelly might have been a bit too controlling with their offense. I think Foles would do better with more pre-snap responsibility and freedom.

Foles is tough, competitive, and is definitely capable of making some wow plays. Those of you hoping for an Alex Smith like game manager are going to have to adjust your expectations because that just isn't how Foles plays the game. But those of you who wanted more aggressiveness and risk taking out of our QB position when compared to Bradford will likely be happy in that regard.

How good do I think he can be for us? Realistically, I think he'll offer us 2012/2013 Andy Dalton level play. Some of you might be unhappy to hear that but I think that's about the level he's at right now. He certainly has potential to improve and be more than that, though. But he has to clean up some glaring issues in his game. Ultimately, though, I think that level of play is more than enough for us to win with. And keep in mind that Foles doesn't have Dalton's biggest issue...the tendency to fall apart in high pressure moments and games.

Great Post (Thanks!)! I just have one question - Can you provide these Film Reviews on the rest of the Rams roster (Just Kidding!)!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did you watch all of this film? I'd love to do so as well

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He looks kind of skinny, but he's tall, like Mannion, and Glennon, who look like underfed, third world kids compared to him.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Not many teams get to have the great QB's these days. I'll take Dalton type numbers with the room for improvement with a new team, system, and coaches. I hope people don't get discouraged because he was compared to Dalton. I'll take it. Especially with this defense, special teams, running game, and the fact he should still get better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I also used to get frustrated when Sam wouldn't take the open lane and run when it was there. In fact teams never had to fear him running, which takes a dimension away from every offense. I also like that Foles will have a tendency to take a chance on the long throws, which Sam often chose to check it down instead of risking a long pick.

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nah, Brady's got more zip on his throws. Foles can get it down the field but those sideline throws in the intermediate and deep range aren't easy for him. Just doesn't have the same sort of natural arm strength that Sam had. Then again, Brady didn't use to either. He perfected his mechanics and really dedicated himself to building his core and lower body strength. Both those things would help Foles out. He's not weak armed but he's not strong armed either. Ultimately, it doesn't make that much of a difference when he's getting the ball out on time but there were a few plays last year that he got picked off on because he was late with it and didn't have the arm to compensate.
Proper footwork will get more zip on a ball.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
jrry thanks for the work and breakdown, I appreciate it A TON and even when we disagree and I come away thinking your full of shit I know you did your homework and formed your opinion on more than a whim. This was a thorough piece of work unlike any we have seen in the short time since the trade went down. iguessxhasbeentoworriedaboutthatalaskagigtomakeafolesvideoforus.

Can you post the videos you watched or provide links. I'd love to put eyes on his year last year. Especially the two games where he played like shit and essentially lost the games. I want to see him at his worst so to speak.

Again thanks for the breakdown it was great. (y)