NFL will present Deacon Jones Award to sacks leader

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/22/nfl-will-present-deacon-jones-award-to-sacks-leader/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ks-leader/</a>
NFL will present Deacon Jones Award to sacks leader
The man who created the sack will be remembered with an award in his name to the NFL’s sack leader.

Deacon Jones, the Hall of Fame defensive end who’s credited with coining the term “sack” to mean tackling a passer behind the line of scrimmage, will be honored by the league by the creation of the Deacon Jones Award, which will go to the player who leads the league in sacks each year.

Although Jones played before sacks were an official statistic, historians say he would own or be near the records for most sacks in a season and most sacks in a career. Jones was not only one of the best pass rushers in the history of the sport but also the man who started referring to tackling the quarterback as “sacking” him, saying that he liked using the term that’s often used to describe the pillaging of a conquered city.

Jones, who played 17 seasons and was a member of the NFL’s All-Time Team, died on June 3 at the age of 74.

Appropriate and well deserved.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Long or Quinn better pin their ears back and win that award. It should go to a Ram first in his honor.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That would be really cool! :zomg: :ja: :yay1: :nana: :clap:

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
bluecoconuts said:
Long or Quinn better pin their ears back and win that award. It should go to a Ram first in his honor.

That would be awesome. I bet CL is thinking the same thing :bg:

bluecoconuts

Legend
JIMERAMS said:
bluecoconuts said:

That would be awesome. I bet CL is thinking the same thing :bg:

Looks like he is, he retweeted this.

[tweet]348544187781758976[/tweet]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's a great way to memorialize the guy forever.
Excellent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Perfect way to honor Deacon. Now a Ram has to win it.

Ram_of_Old

Incredible Honor! One day I will tell my Great Grandchildren that I saw Deacon play!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Excellent.

Yeah ,you're right , but ya know ,it pisses me off they didn't do it WHILE HE could bask in a little of the glory.

Oh and if a Ram gets it I hope it isn't a bullshit record like Brwett Favre handed to The Gap

jap

Legend
Why won't the NFL go all the way and give Deacon his sack records, his 26 sacks in a season, his 24 sacks the following season? That way they can take the undeserving Mike Strahan out of the record books.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
jap said:
Why won't the NFL go all the way and give Deacon his sack records, his 26 sacks in a season, his 24 sacks the following season? That way they can take the undeserving Mike Strahan out of the record books.
Cuz they're gonna give The Brwett Favre Award out to the guy who has the most interceptions in a playoff game.

Really JAP , I think they should too, but that would involve taking a record away from a pretty popular guy, wunt be prudent

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Excellent.

Yeah ,you're right , but ya know ,it pisses me off they didn't do it WHILE HE could bask in a little of the glory.

Oh and if a Ram gets it I hope it isn't a BS record like Brwett Favre handed to The Gap
Well, you know, they don't name awards after living legends. They have to be dead.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram_of_Old looking forward to the day:
Incredible Honor! One day I will tell my Great Grandchildren that I saw Deacon play!

One day I will tell my Great Grandchildren that I posted with a guy who saw Deacon play!

Almost as good. :cheers:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
"A RAM WILL BE THE FIRST TO WIN THIS AWARD!!!!!"
-- Football Gods

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Excellent.

Oh and if a Ram gets it I hope it isn't a BS record like Brwett Favre handed to The Gap
Well, you know, they don't name awards after living legends. They have to be dead.

And because "they" do , it's too late to really do anything for the honored person ,it gives US a warm fuzzy which I DO appreciate.

I mean , any atheist here HAS to know what I'm talking about, even though I'm not an atheist ,it's my belief it would indicate the award was more sincere if it was bestowed in life.
Where I coach-ed wrestling, we had virtually every athletic facility named , all after living people.

For years everyone acknowledged what this award does,that the Deacon was the man who all would forever be measured against..
When ya'll name this board after me,do it before I die, so I can post a thank you ,K? :tooth:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Ram Quixote said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Excellent.

And because "they" do , it's too late to really do anything for the honored person ,it gives US a warm fuzzy which I DO appreciate.

I mean , any atheist here HAS to know what I'm talking about, even though I'm not an atheist ,it's my belief it would indicate the award was more sincere if it was bestowed in life.
Where I coach-ed wrestling, we had virtually every athletic facility named , all after living people.

For years everyone acknowledged what this award does,that the Deacon was the man who all would forever be measured against..
When ya'll name this board after me,do it before I die, so I can post a thank you ,K? :tooth:
I don't think it's any less sincere if the award is named after the passing of a legend. That's a great way to keep him alive long after the fact. I look at it like this. Would a passing award mean more if it was named "The Dan Marino Golden Arm Award", or "The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award"? Maybe it's just me, but Dan doesn't evoke feelings of legendary status just yet. Maybe later.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
X said:
Thordaddy said:
Ram Quixote said:
Thordaddy said:
X said:
Excellent.

I don't think it's any less sincere if the award is named after the passing of a legend. That's a great way to keep him alive long after the fact. I look at it like this. Would a passing award mean more if it was named "The Dan Marino Golden Arm Award", or "The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award"? Maybe it's just me, but Dan doesn't evoke feelings of legendary status just yet. Maybe later.
I think you are asking that question OF the wrong person/people, ask Marino when he would rather they name it after him.

Don't get me wrong ,awesome honor but it does US the living ALL the real good, it could have done MORE ,either way, just make sure you appreciate ME before I pass to that big wrestling mat in the sky, K ? :cheese:
I'll be working on names for it ,how does
" The Pain in the Ass Thordaddy Award" sound ? you could give the first one to me and the next one to people who name themselves after elements on the periodic table :rofl:

jap

Legend
Thordaddy said:
jap said:
Cuz they're gonna give The Brwett Favre Award out to the guy who has the most interceptions in a playoff game.

Really JAP , I think they should too, but that would involve taking a record away from a pretty popular guy, wunt be prudent

Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking to challenge the intellectual mansions of the NFL top brass, but somehow I don't think I'm ever gonna stop. :twisted: :ww: