NFL will present Deacon Jones Award to sacks leader

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
jap said:
Yeah, I know it's wishful thinking to challenge the intellectual mansions of the NFL top brass, but somehow I don't think I'm ever gonna stop. :twisted: :ww:
Yeah ,agreed but ya know, it ain't the Mike Strahan Award now iz zit?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:
albefree69 said:
Appropriate and well deserved.

Agreed. This is the only thing the league has done right in a long time.

I dunno.....I like a lot of the safety initiatives that have been instituted over the years. In fact most of the rules changes in the last 30 years have been geared towards protecting players. Some people often think that it's Goodell "ruining the game" or "sissifying football" but these are changes that have been made for decades, slowly changing the sport.

Im perfectly OK with almost all of it too. I don't wanna see favorite players suffering in their 40s and 50s and killing themselves or not being able t go to the store alone because they forget what they are doing and aren't able to find their way home.

I'm not trying to ignite a debate or high jack this thread but I had a conversation with a poster, Rams fan of course, in private a little while back. I asked this question. If in 6 years we read that Warner blew his chest open to stop the suffering but to save his brain so it could also be studied would you feel the same way about rules changes right after you read the news on ESPN?

I don't like a lot of what the NFL has done. Spygate was a real black eye, so was Bountygate and while I agree there should have been suspensions the NFL didn't handle it right and should have been more transparent. All the stuff with agents and runners that they essentially ignored was dumb too. Ignoring the medical needs of vets might be the worst thing imaginable, but that's on both he and the union not just the NFL.

He's no David Stern, no Rozelle or Tagliabue either for that matter, but he isn't doing things much differently than most people in his position would.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
LesBaker said:
Username said:
albefree69 said:

I dunno.....I like a lot of the safety initiatives that have been instituted over the years. In fact most of the rules changes in the last 30 years have been geared towards protecting players. Some people often think that it's Goodell "ruining the game" or "sissifying football" but these are changes that have been made for decades, slowly changing the sport.

Im perfectly OK with almost all of it too. I don't wanna see favorite players suffering in their 40s and 50s and killing themselves or not being able t go to the store alone because they forget what they are doing and aren't able to find their way home.

I'm not trying to ignite a debate or high jack this thread but I had a conversation with a poster, Rams fan of course, in private a little while back. I asked this question. If in 6 years we read that Warner blew his chest open to stop the suffering but to save his brain so it could also be studied would you feel the same way about rules changes right after you read the news on ESPN?

I don't like a lot of what the NFL has done. Spygate was a real black eye, so was Bountygate and while I agree there should have been suspensions the NFL didn't handle it right and should have been more transparent. All the stuff with agents and runners that they essentially ignored was dumb too. Ignoring the medical needs of vets might be the worst thing imaginable, but that's on both he and the union not just the NFL.

He's no David Stern, no Rozelle or Tagliabue either for that matter, but he isn't doing things much differently than most people in his position would.

It's an extremely violent game, that's what makes it so attractive regardless if people want to think of it that way or not. The players know the game they play. Besides, I'm not necessarily talking about just the safety changes. If they really gave a fuck about player safety they would not be expanding the season and would reimburse the players families who have been effected. They're money hungry pigs who can do whatever they want because they have the most popular game in the world by the balls. That's the problem.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Username said:
LesBaker said:
Username said:
albefree69 said:

It's an extremely violent game, that's what makes it so attractive regardless if people want to think of it that way or not. The players know the game they play. Besides, I'm not necessarily talking about just the safety changes. If they really gave a fuck about player safety they would not be expanding the season and would reimburse the players families who have been effected. They're money hungry pigs who can do whatever they want because they have the most popular game in the world by the balls. That's the problem.

Football as we know it doesn't even make the top 10 most popular game in the world. I got about half of these....the rest made me say "seriously.....that?"

Top 10 most popular sport in the world

Volleyball, rugby, golf, hockey, basketball, table tennis, baseball, cricket, tennis and soccer. In reverse order.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
Volleyball, rugby, golf, hockey, basketball, table tennis, baseball, cricket, tennis and soccer. In reverse order.
Well yeah. Because those are either Olympic sports, or WORLD sports. American Football is obviously only popular in America, and it's the #1 sport by a huge margin. The money that comes in through the sport is obscene too. Think cricket brings in a ton of dough? Money is the key here. Not popularity.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
X said:
LesBaker said:
Well yeah. Because those are either Olympic sports, or WORLD sports. American Football is obviously only popular in America, and it's the #1 sport by a huge margin. The money that comes in through the sport is obscene too. Think cricket brings in a ton of dough? Money is the key here. Not popularity.

I was just pointing out the hilarity of the global thing versus our country. The tastes or references are fairly divergent.

I would have figured auto racing, boxing or MMA and track and field would have made the top 10, maybe swimming. Table tennis and volleyball.....hmmmm. Those two and hockey threw me.

Revenue from table tennis in the USA has to be close to forty seven bucks. Hahahaha!!!

Soccer brings in more globally than football does in the USA, and may be close in some individual countries for all i know. Cricket might be close because its followed by close to a billion people. Same with baseball and basketball due to global popularity and leagues all over the world. It's amazing how those two sports have been picked up all over the world. They have an advantage that they cost so little to play. When I was a kid in one field we played in a tree stump was first base lol.

Other than auto racing, and I'm not sure that would make the cut, I can't think of anything else that competes with the 10 Bil that the NFL generates. And considering it almost all comes from this country that tells you how much we love our game.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yeah, I guess I was exaggerating and posting off the top of my head as I clearly do consistently hahaha. Considering it's only played in America the profit margin is pretty amazing. Don't you worry though. The league will be expanding internationally soon enough. Whether anyone besides the league wants it to. Including the country it's moving to LOL.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
LesBaker said:
Username said:
albefree69 said:

I Dunno Les.

This is just my opinion of course...and I'm old school....BUT

Alot of the rule changes have caused the injuries..

If you dont want to get your WR's head knocked off don't send them across the middle..That was the no fly zone against teams that had great safeties. Now..hey they cant hit u so lets work the seams.

Another...Dont send out 5 Wr's if u dont want to get ur QB killed. In other words the coaches didnt do that because the D would EAT their QB. Coaches used to keep blockers in..Now the rules block for them.

The coaches used to protect the players the way the game was designed...BUT the NFL needed more fans and bigger TV contracts so they had to increase the scoring. To do that they had to open up the O.

Now the O line can hold..every friggin play. You can't touch the QB or he will piss his pants. You cant lay out a WR as he's catching the ball.

The NFL took the protection away from the coaches and the coaches decided that if they can't hit the players we'll open it up..It's exactly what the NFL wanted.

More big plays higher scores and new fans that want to see it. Me likes the Deacon way.

And btw I agree with Deacon...May as well put a dress on the QB.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
EastRam wrote:

I Dunno Les.

This is just my opinion of course...and I'm old school....BUT

Alot of the rule changes have caused the injuries..

If you dont want to get your WR's head knocked off don't send them across the middle..That was the no fly zone against teams that had great safeties. Now..hey they cant hit u so lets work the seams.

Another...Dont send out 5 Wr's if u dont want to get ur QB killed. In other words the coaches didnt do that because the D would EAT their QB. Coaches used to keep blockers in..Now the rules block for them.

The coaches used to protect the players the way the game was designed...BUT the NFL needed more fans and bigger TV contracts so they had to increase the scoring. To do that they had to open up the O.

Now the O line can hold..every friggin play. You can't touch the QB or he will piss his pants. You cant lay out a WR as he's catching the ball.

The NFL took the protection away from the coaches and the coaches decided that if they can't hit the players we'll open it up..It's exactly what the NFL wanted.

More big plays higher scores and new fans that want to see it. Me likes the Deacon way.

And btw I agree with Deacon...May as well put a dress on the QB.

I'm on the fence on this. I agree with you about a lot of this (not the putting a dress on the QB part) but I agree with much of what Les said too. I think it's been a pretty good mix. We've got teams that can score lots of points and we've got teams with great Ds.

Good mix IMO.

A55VA6

Legend
NFL.com asked 5 experts who'd win Deacon Jones Award (most sacks) in 2013. And got 5 answers:

Attachments

• 971481_10151595292511263_797894533_n.jpg
    971481_10151595292511263_797894533_n.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 109

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Chris Long could get 15-16 sacks and would probably STILL get overlooked for the Popularity Bowl.