NFL to LA just got more interesting

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
With the passing of Ralph Wilson Jr., owner of the Buffalo Bills, there is a team on the market and that is going to make the situation in the LA market more interesting.

Wilson's family has said they have no interest in taking over the team and although there is a group headed by Jim Kelly to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo, I think AEG or some other group vying for a team in the LA market will make a push to acquire the Bills and move them to LA.

Now, will this speed up whatever plans the Chargers, Raiders, Rams...whoever, have in mind? It's certainly possible.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Bills need a new view and they are cold. Who wouldn't want to move out of that city and weather? Go Bills!

RamzFanz

Damnit
First time I've whole heartedly agreed with the words "go bills"

The Bills are my brothers team and I'm sick of a Bills fan disrespecting the Rams. If they went to LA over the Rams (who he predicts will go) I get 10 years of LOLs.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've long felt the team that winds up going to LA will be one that most people never expected or predicted. I thought Wilson might hold on long enough for some of these other teams to make a move but the attendance in Buffalo has been suffering to some degree and having games in Toronto certainly makes me wonder about the overall support there. I know they have die hard fans just like most teams but it's hard for me to imagine AEG or Majestic or some other investment group not making a play at an available franchise. They don't come available too often.

The Bills' situation is similar to when Georgia died, leaving the team to the kids. But in the Bills' case, I don't think there is a minority owner with right of first refusal. I think they are up for grabs to the highest bidder.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Jim Kelly is in quite a battle for his life at the moment so I don't know how much power that group has right now. It might be a franchise ripe for the picking.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Jim Kelly is in quite a battle for his life at the moment so I don't know how much power that group has right now. It might be a franchise ripe for the picking.
I never considered him much more than a figurehead for the group so I wasn't sure how much his battle with cancer would affect them.

As much as the Bills fans have suffered since Norwood missed that kick, can you imagine losing the team owner, losing Jim Kelly and then losing the Bills? I couldn't help but feel sorry for them if all that transpired.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goodell says millions of fans want a team in Los Angeles
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2014

goodell1.jpg
AP

The NFL hasn’t had a team in Los Angeles since 1994. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says fans in L.A. want to change that.

Goodell said at the league meeting that he believes the fans want a team to move back to Los Angeles, but that the league needs to get the right stadium deal before that happens.

“We’ve been very open that if we had the right opportunity to be back in Los Angeles with the right formula, meaning a stadium, most importantly,” Goodell said. “We know there are millions of fans who want a team there. We would love to do that, but it has to be successful. We are going to do it right if we are going to do it. There are different proposals out there and different opportunities but not one that we are focused on and can say that we have the right solution yet. We’re not there.”

Millions of fans wanting a team in Los Angeles is less important than finding someone to pay for a stadium in Los Angeles. So far, that’s the element the NFL hasn’t been able to find.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Actually the good news on that front is that his cancer is very treatable and the outlook is good. Great news IMO, he's a hell of a guy and deserves a long happy life.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
With the passing of Ralph Wilson Jr., owner of the Buffalo Bills, there is a team on the market and that is going to make the situation in the LA market more interesting.

Wilson's family has said they have no interest in taking over the team and although there is a group headed by Jim Kelly to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo, I think AEG or some other group vying for a team in the LA market will make a push to acquire the Bills and move them to LA.

Now, will this speed up whatever plans the Chargers, Raiders, Rams...whoever, have in mind? It's certainly possible.

The NFL charter doesn't allow corporations to own teams so AEG ownership won't happen.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The NFL charter doesn't allow corporations to own teams so AEG ownership won't happen.
You're right, but however they work it out, I think they'll make a play. AEG and Roski were both asking for partial ownership of whatever team moved in so in some form or another I think those groups will move on the Bills.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You're right, but however they work it out, I think they'll make a play. AEG and Roski were both asking for partial ownership of whatever team moved in so in some form or another I think those groups will move on the Bills.

Yes they wanted a part of a team in exchange for building a stadium..........and the NFL Charter forbids doing that as well. You can't trade or even discount shares of a team, so it won't work out and they won't waste time making a play because now they know it won't happen based on the NFL telling them that about LA.

There is so much misinformation out there about this kind of thing that it makes discussion difficult. So many things that people say could happen are just not possible, or aren't allowed by the NFL, or just won't ever happen.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yes they wanted a part of a team in exchange for building a stadium..........and the NFL Charter forbids doing that as well. You can't trade or even discount shares of a team, so it won't work out and they won't waste time making a play because now they know it won't happen based on the NFL telling them that about LA.

There is so much misinformation out there about this kind of thing that it makes discussion difficult. So many things that people say could happen are just not possible, or aren't allowed by the NFL, or just won't ever happen.
Rich guys figure out a way. I don't think a portion of the team has to be discounted or given away but there's no reason AEG or Majestic couldn't build their stadium and Roski or Anschutz could buy minority ownership for market value. That way, the new team owner doesn't have to foot the cost of building the stadium. If Kroenke was allowed to buy minority ownership, why wouldn't Roski or Anschutz?

Just the opportunity to buy into a team hasn't been available up to this point as far as I know.

iced

The Bills are my brothers team and I'm sick of a Bills fan disrespecting the Rams. If they went to LA over the Rams (who he predicts will go) I get 10 years of LOLs.

one of my best friends is a Bills fan....and he's actually joined our tail gate chat before..to say that the bills/rams jokes go back and forth would be an understatement. "God you throw like Sam bradford!" - "wow look at those pop corn fingers - you hand off like a bills qb!"

Last night i linked him a video of a cop chasing down and tackling a perp - "Bet he could start for the bills!"

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Rich guys figure out a way. I don't think a portion of the team has to be discounted or given away but there's no reason AEG or Majestic couldn't build their stadium and Roski or Anschutz could buy minority ownership for market value. That way, the new team owner doesn't have to foot the cost of building the stadium. If Kroenke was allowed to buy minority ownership, why wouldn't Roski or Anschutz?

Just the opportunity to buy into a team hasn't been available up to this point as far as I know.

Both of those guys have said they won't build a stadium and buy into the team though.

AEG isn't even in the mix right now, they are still trying to sell it off.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Both of those guys have said they won't build a stadium and buy into the team though.

AEG isn't even in the mix right now, they are still trying to sell it off.
I must have missed both of those things. Roski has said that he wants to be a part of ownership and Anschutz was very sick and letting Tim Lieweke handle AEG and that was around the time that the rich Chinese guy was rumored to be buying AEG. Since then, Anschutz has gotten well and apparently changed him mind. Fired Lieweke, said the downtown football stadium is still on and seemingly shelved the idea of selling.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes moklerman they want ownership but they don't want to buy in.

The downtown stadium is only "on" if a team commits to moving there, until then it's all the same pipe dreams we've seen and heard for nearly two decades.