NFL Players Association: Lockout or strike in 2021 is “almost a virtual certainty”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...strike-in-2021-is-almost-a-virtual-certainty/

De Smith: Lockout or strike in 2021 is “almost a virtual certainty”
Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2017

Four seasons remain under the current labor deal, but the drums of labor war already are beating.

“I think that the likelihood of either a strike or a lockout in 2021 is almost a virtual certainty,” NFL Players Association DeMaurice Smith recently told Albert Breer in a video posted at SI.com.

There can be a lockout without games being forfeited; that’s what happened in 2011. So will there be games missed if there’s a work stoppage in 2021?

“I don’t know now, but let’s look at our history,” Smith said. “The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn’t want to give the owners a chance to opt out and take back the gains that we currently have. . . . So we have a new deal where if it doesn’t get fixed you head into a certain small-A armageddon.”

In many respects, the situation will be influenced by whether the owners seek to make gains, whether the players seek to make gains, or both. It’s possible that the owners, who complained incessantly about the 2006 deal and never say a peep about the current deal (and all that that implies), will be playing defense in 2021, content to continue under the current terms and daring the players to strike.

Ultimately the question could be whether the players would miss game checks. Many believe that ship sailed for good in 1987, when the use of replacement players caused the players to crater after only a few weeks. The last major work stoppage came in 1982. That year, a strike reduced the regular season to nine games.

If the players are going to strike in 2021, those who will still be in the league need to save their money, and the union needs to have a plan to provide revenue for future players who currently are in college or high school. Above all else, the players need to be willing to go without football.

The best litmus test for the will to strike in the future could be an effort to boycott on a mass basis the voluntary portion of the offseason program. While players with significant workout bonuses may not be inclined to stay away, if enough players skip OTAs to make the session essentially meaningless, that would provide ownership with a capital-W warning shot for what may come in time.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20371989/2021-strike-lockout-very-likely

The NFL and its union agreed to the current 10-year CBA on July 25, 2011. That agreement came after a 132-day lockout.

The agreed-upon CBA hasn't meant there has been labor peace, however, as the NFLPA has clashed with the NFL over player discipline in such high-profile cases as Adrian Peterson's suspension for child abuse, Tom Brady's Deflategate suspension and, most recently, Ezekiel Elliott's suspension for alleged domestic violence.

On Wednesday, the NFL and the players' association released dueling statements in which the NFL alleged that the union was releasing details of Elliott's accuser's text messages to discredit her. The NFLPA responded by calling the accusations a lie.

The last time NFL players missed games was the 24-day strike in 1987, which began after Week 2 and prompted the NFL to cancel its Week 3 games and shorten the season to 15 games. The league played with replacement players for the next three weeks until the players ended their strike after Week 6.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Smith is the fucking idiot that brokered the deals..........who the hell gives the other side the chance to opt out in two years after signing a new deal?

The NFL has the worst players union of all the major sports..........

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
By that time I suspect NHL will be my priority anyway. I used to attend NFL games quite regularly, but nowadays I go to only one or two games a season. This season it will only be one game. Compared to 15 or so NHL per season. Just a better product with more action and fewer stoppages for my dollar. I mean I'm still a Rams nut but that's the only team I watch now.

NFL's greed will be their undoing I think. Too many commercials/reviews. Too little investment in communities (stadiums with the exception of our new LA stadium). Too little return on your dollar at their live games. Too much scandal and idiocy, kind of drama I watch sports to get away from.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The worst of the players unions by far and he comes out and does/says this? We all know the players want some concessions from the owners. The real battle will be about what the players give up to get what they want.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
NFL's greed will be their undoing I think. Too many commercials/reviews. Too little investment in communities (stadiums with the exception of our new LA stadium). Too little return on your dollar at their live games. Too much scandal and idiocy, kind of drama I watch sports to get away from.

Wow! Lotta great points there Merlin. Well said.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Honestly, I don't blame the players. They are getting screwed. It's the owners who aren't bringing enough value to the table.

The players could start a new league, rent college stadiums for the games, and sell the TV rights.

The owners could bring in replacement players

Which one would you watch?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reminds me of this prediction by Mark Cuban from three years ago...

http://www.espn.com/dallas/nba/stor...cuban-says-greedy-nfl-10-years-away-implosion

"I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion," Cuban said. "I'm just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they're getting hoggy.

"When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I'm just telling you, when you've got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That's rule No. 1 of business."

Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL's recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

"They're trying to take over every night of TV," Cuban said. "Initially, it'll be, 'Yeah, they're the biggest-rating thing that there is.' OK, Thursday, that's great, regardless of whether it impacts [the NBA] during that period when we cross over. Then if it gets Saturday, now you're impacting colleges. Now it's on four days a week.

"It's all football. At some point, the people get sick of it."

Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with occasional Monday night games.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fine by me, hope their ratings continue to take a shit nationwide until the owners lose their leverage.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I don't blame the players. They are getting screwed. It's the owners who aren't bringing enough value to the table.

The players could start a new league, rent college stadiums for the games, and sell the TV rights.

The owners could bring in replacement players

Which one would you watch?
Neither

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a big NL baseball fan before the 94' strike...I could tell you every players name and batting averages for hitters and era's for pitchers...Now? I'm just A very casual Dodger fan because that strike so pizzed me off, Found other ways to occupy time. If the NFL does a strike, they may get the same from me. I like NHL hockey (Kings) too, like Merlin...The NFL is playing with fire...

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It's two thousand and fucking seventeen. How can these guys not realise that they can both win with a little compromise?

IMO the only way this thing gets done amicably is if De Smith and Goodell are gone long before negotiations kick off. Too much history and bad blood for that to end well. Plus they are both just flat out incompetent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Well said, the value is right on the edge of disappearing.

The worst of the players unions by far and he comes out and does/says this? We all know the players want some concessions from the owners. The real battle will be about what the players give up to get what they want.

The league has wanted drug testing ala the Olympics and the union has fought it because of course they know at least half of the players are using some form of PED. The union and players want testing for weed dropped.

Maybe there will be a compromise there. Last time it was a hard "no way" from both sides. This time the NFL may give a little more money to the players in exchange for testing.

Nobody getting millions is being screwed. And if they feel that way then the finger gets pointed at Smith, he's the one who brokered TWO straight shitty deals for his guys. And the new cap has turned into a disaster for vets..........that needs to be addressed.

Cuban said the NFL is making a mistake by valuing television money over the convenience of fans who are used to planning for their NFL teams to play on Sundays with occasional Monday night games.

Thursday Night Football has been a flop and IMO they need to get rid of it as soon as the contract expires.

Fine by me, hope their ratings continue to take a crap nationwide until the owners lose their leverage.

Owners will never lose leverage as long as they own the teams. And in many cases the stadiums too.

I was a big NL baseball fan before the 94' strike...I could tell you every players name and batting averages for hitters and era's for pitchers...Now? I'm just A very casual Dodger fan because that strike so pizzed me off, Found other ways to occupy time. If the NFL does a strike, they may get the same from me. I like NHL hockey (Kings) too, like Merlin...The NFL is playing with fire...

I was the same way, and lost interest when they had a series of battles and strikes and lockouts in the early and mid 80's. I've never cared since, they lost me forever.

that's not surprising. watching paint dry then watching grass grow is more entertaining than a basketball or baseball game.

You should go see an NBA gave live, it's more entertaining to watch live than the NFL.

It's two thousand and freaking seventeen. How can these guys not realise that they can both win with a little compromise?

IMO the only way this thing gets done amicably is if De Smith and Goodell are gone long before negotiations kick off. Too much history and bad blood for that to end well. Plus they are both just flat out incompetent.

Smith anyway.........Goodell in this regard does his job well. Smith on the other hand is out of his depth.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm already teetering on the edge of the fence. They go on strike they'll lose me for sure. Investing in fishing gear for Sundays already.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm already teetering on the edge of the fence. They go on strike they'll lose me for sure. Investing in fishing gear for Sundays already.

*until Goff wins the first of five Super Bowls....
~bubba