NFL needs to 'seriously' look into grass-turf debate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Look in a state where grass is legal, we need a stadium full of grass. Oh shit, wrong grass :laugh1:
Drum Joke GIF

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think that the soil/root base would have to be much thicker than that video. You have 300 pound men digging in on an NFL field - not 150 lb guys running around faking injuries. :evil:

Seriously though, there is much more stress on an NFL field than a soccer field. I remember when the center section of a field had to be replaced before a game. The soil layer for the turf looked like it was 4-6" thick. That's a pretty massive undertaking on a regular basis. I also don't think the seams would hold up if it had to be constantly moved in and out. I would guess that they would need probably 2 fields worth of grass to alternate between games and would have to schedule the Rams and Chargers for the same week in order to give the grass a chance to recover enough. I just don't see that happening.

Of course they could just schedule the Chargers to play in SD where they belong,

I would think that unless they can figure out a way to get grass to grow in SOFI, it ain't going to happen.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
They've been debating about grass vs turf since I started watching football when Charlie's Angels' was a new hit. Remember that Bear WR that broke both his legs at Soldier field in the 80s? That was crazy. Doubt the NFL does anything based on this story, and owners rarely upgrade for the players' sake. If they thought more about the player's safety we'd still have 16 games and all grass fields in outdoor stadiums.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
They would have to do what I believe Arizona does. Between games roll it out of the stadium on a retractable floor (I guess that is what it is called) and take care of the grass outside. Then roll it back in for the game.
The difference is the field at Glendale is on a level that it can be rolled out. The SoFi field level is 100’ below ground level all the way around.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The difference is the field at Glendale is on a level that it can be rolled out. The SoFi field level is 100’ below ground level all the way around.
You would think they could roll a floor over the turf when needed for a concert or basketball game etc...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
They've been debating about grass vs turf since I started watching football when Charlie's Angels' was a new hit. Remember that Bear WR that broke both his legs at Soldier field in the 80s? That was crazy. Doubt the NFL does anything based on this story, and owners rarely upgrade for the players' sake. If they thought more about the player's safety we'd still have 16 games and all grass fields in outdoor stadiums.
That was the Vet in Philly. Wendel Davis of the Bears I believe did that. The Vet had seams for the cut outs for the 1st, 2nd base etc... players would get their cleats or I guess their turf shoe gripy soles stuck in those seems.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think TSFH FAN is going down the right path. You don't take the grass outside you take lights to the grass.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
grow lights/lamps

web-Gl2.jpg

20181108-SGL-LED-Allianz-Arena-mail-5-cropped.jpg

Nice post, let’s not let the facts get in the way, heh

This has been one of my favourite conversations around here for ages because it has been so easy to prove opinions wrong. Bravo :) or should I say touché

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah I've been browsing about it just now. I haven't found a lot of specifics about it yet.

Looks like the width of the field is a significant issue-- along with the grass issue.

I was wondering how narrow?

From the article: “Given SoFi’s dimensions, they would need to extend the width of the field by at least 63 feet.”

That is a lot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
grow lights/lamps

web-Gl2.jpg

20181108-SGL-LED-Allianz-Arena-mail-5-cropped.jpg

You would THINK, with evolving light technology, you could grow BETTER that way… than outside/naturally.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The roof looks like it would work a little like a greenhouse FFS, perhaps some around here haven’t heard of them, but plants tend to do pretty well :)
Yes Photosynthesis, basic 9th grade biology I think everyone is aware of it, the questions looms can it work on a consistent basis long term? Hopefully because there is no reason all fields should not be grass IMHO plus properly maintained unlike FedEx Field in Maryland.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive

I haven't seen an updated version of this, but it should still be relevant.

SoFi uses Hellas Matrix Turf. It gives some credence to the question of "Why do NFL teams play on different synthetic turf?"

Guest-StadiumInjuries1-1.png

oldnotdead

Legend
There is no way to retrofit grass in SoFi. As someone who understands horticulture, it's more than just using grow lights. Grass is a water hog in a state where rationing is a very real thing in the future. How would they drain the water? Fertilizers and pest control are huge polluters. Golf courses are not only huge wastes of water but among te biggest polluters as well.

Get real, there is no way to retrofit SoFi.

It would be easier to create a mat to play on that would mimic the properties of natural grass. Part of the problem is synthetic turf having to look like grass forces tradeoffs. Playing on a specially designed mat would mean designing new shoes, the mat would offer a far more consistent surface than even natural grass.in terms of footing and impact. Sport bracing will evolve into being more fabric sleeve like that would become common if not mandatory. Why not do away with the hard shell helmet as well? That alone will reduce more injuries than turf. It would no longer become a weapon.

There are a raft of other things the NFL can do to make the game safer. Will they? Some may be in decades, but most no. That would mean officially and legally admitting to the violence of the game, something they would never do.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There is no way to retrofit grass in SoFi. As someone who understands horticulture, it's more than just using grow lights. Grass is a water hog in a state where rationing is a very real thing in the future. How would they drain the water? Fertilizers and pest control are huge polluters. Golf courses are not only huge wastes of water but among te biggest polluters as well.

Get real, there is no way to retrofit SoFi.

It would be easier to create a mat to play on that would mimic the properties of natural grass. Part of the problem is synthetic turf having to look like grass forces tradeoffs. Playing on a specially designed mat would mean designing new shoes, the mat would offer a far more consistent surface than even natural grass.in terms of footing and impact. Sport bracing will evolve into being more fabric sleeve like that would become common if not mandatory. Why not do away with the hard shell helmet as well? That alone will reduce more injuries than turf. It would no longer become a weapon.

There are a raft of other things the NFL can do to make the game safer. Will they? Some may be in decades, but most no. That would mean officially and legally admitting to the violence of the game, something they would never do.
Yet they have grass in Arizona...essentially a desert.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

I haven't seen an updated version of this, but it should still be relevant.

SoFi uses Hellas Matrix Turf. It gives some credence to the question of "Why do NFL teams play on different synthetic turf?"

Guest-StadiumInjuries1-1.png
Interesting article. Unfortunately a fair amount of uncertainty in the data, mostly due to small sample sizes.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
There is no way to retrofit grass in SoFi. As someone who understands horticulture, it's more than just using grow lights.
Just curious, what do you anticipate SoFi will do to accommodate soccer on grass at the World Cup in 2026?