NFL needs to 'seriously' look into grass-turf debate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

NFL needs to 'seriously' look into grass-turf debate​

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and safety Quandre Diggs on Wednesday said they'd like to see a close reexamination of whether NFL stadiums should exclusively use natural grass.

The ongoing conversation about the safety of playing on artificial turf versus natural grass has been raised anew after Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf and Los Angeles Chargers cornerback J.C. Jackson suffered knee injuries during Sunday's game at SoFi Stadium, both on noncontact plays.

SoFi Stadium, home of the Chargers and the Rams, uses an artificial surface.

"I think we definitely need to look at this really seriously in the offseason again," Carroll said when asked about the grass-turf debate. "It's been a discussion before. We've got to do what's right, and we've got to do what's safest for the players and we've got to make those choices. I would pound on the drum for that."

Fourteen of the NFL's 30 stadiums use an artificial surface, including the Seahawks' Lumen Field. In September 2020, NFL Players Association president JC Tretter called for all teams to use grass fields to reduce the risk of injury to players. Tretter cited NFL injury data from 2012 to 2018 that showed a 28% higher rate of noncontact lower-extremity injuries on artificial turf as compared to grass.

"I know that there's numbers and there's studies," Carroll said. "You've got to figure out who the study comes from and who's paying for it. There's a lot of stuff here that we've got to figure out. We've got to do the right thing, but we definitely need to keep looking at it, because every now and then, it just feels like something is up, too many guys going down when they're not even touching anybody. So we'll see. The turfs are way better than they used to be and all that kind of stuff, but we've just got to see."

Jackson will miss the rest of the season after rupturing the patellar tendon in his right knee on Sunday.

Metcalf suffered a much less severe injury to his left patellar tendon that won't require surgery. Carroll said Metcalf was feeling "a little better" on Wednesday and was at the Seahawks' morning walk-through but that he wouldn't take part in their afternoon practice. Metcalf's status for Sunday's home game against the New York Giants remains up in the air.

Tretter's 2020 call for all teams to use natural grass came after San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan complained about the artificial turf at MetLife Stadium, where standout Niners defensive end Nick Bosa had recently suffered a season-ending knee injury while playing against the New York Jets.

Diggs cited those injuries and the ones on Sunday at SoFi Stadium while expressing his dislike for artificial turf, which he said is firmer and has less give than grass.

"So you see that and you just kind of wonder why can't we have natural grass everywhere," Diggs said. "I love playing in San Francisco and things like that where it's grass and you just go out there and you just go play. Hopefully, we're doing some research on it and seeing what we can do to make things better."

Diggs said grass is "so much better" but acknowledged that players suffer injuries on grass, as well, including his own dislocated ankle and broken fibula last season at the Arizona Cardinals' State Farm Stadium. Diggs said there is variance between the turfs at different stadiums, describing SoFi Stadium's as slick and Lumen Field's as "fine" but "a little more sticky than others." He said his foot got stuck in the turf on a missed tackle two weeks ago in a home game against the Cardinals.

"I know it's hard to upkeep grass, but at the end of the day, we've got to do what's best for this billion-dollar industry, and I think the players are a big part of that," Diggs said. "So maybe we can take some ideas from the players."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought this quote made a good point, from a different article on same subject;

"The thing that just confuses me is if you’re not going to mandate grass, then why aren’t turf fields the exact same turf, so guys get used to playing on the same turf everywhere? But every field has a different turf," Kittle said, via NBC Sports Bay Area.

"NBA guys don’t play on different wood, what are we doing? Hockey guys don’t play on different ices all the time. It’s ice. So I just wish we played on a surface that was similar every single week in, week out, so your body won’t just be dealing with different, crappy turf."

View: https://twitter.com/nbcs49ers/status/1579261285857992706?s=61&t=1t99gNz_v6ewj-puzR_T7w

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Is it even possible to grow grass in the conditions at SoFi? 100' below ground level and would you get enough sunlight?

Flint

Pro Bowler
I thought this issue was settled, yes, there are fewer injuries and, no, they don’t want to pay for grass. Some places have usage issues that would make it difficult but it seems like there is sometimes a lack of concern about the shitty surfaces in some places use.

Tano

Legend
Is it even possible to grow grass in the conditions at SoFi? 100' below ground level and would you get enough sunlight?
They would have to do what I believe Arizona does. Between games roll it out of the stadium on a retractable floor (I guess that is what it is called) and take care of the grass outside. Then roll it back in for the game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They would have to do what I believe Arizona does. Between games roll it out of the stadium on a retractable floor (I guess that is what it is called) and take care of the grass outside. Then roll it back in for the game.
If it can be done then just do it, player safety should be priority #1. Especially when it's Cooper Kupp!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Meanwhile FedEx field (or whatever its called now) is natural and as bad as any playing surface ever. Obviously not all grass fields are equal either.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it can be done then just do it, player safety should be priority #1. Especially when it's Cooper Kupp!
If the stadium wasn't built for it, and SoFi wasn't, you just can't roll the field out of the stadium without a major stadium re-design/rebuild.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the stadium wasn't built for it, and SoFi wasn't, you just can't roll the field out of the stadium without a major stadium re-design/rebuild.
I have to believe there is a way. Hopefully, they can find how to ensure all surface is grass and ensure player safety. Less injuries are a good thing and all measures should be looked into.

Tano

Legend
I have to believe there is a way. Hopefully, they can find how to ensure all surface is grass and ensure player safety. Less injuries are a good thing and all measures should be looked into.
Checking Golden Retriever GIF by AFV Pets

I think he can figure out a way

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I don't think this is true.

SoFi won a bid to be one of the soccer World Cup stadiums in 2026. Soccer's governing body FIFA insists that all matches be played on grass.

So somehow, some way, SoFi will host soccer games on grass in 2026.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The New stadium is amazing. It truly is. However the fact that they didn’t do grass is ridiculous. All that money spent and no grass. They should have some state of the art grass system at sofi- maybe something that allows them to change out the floor for different events (sports vs concerts/etc.). It’s a bit embarrassing imho that it’s such an incredible and amazing stadium- and yet no grass.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think this is true.

SoFi won a bid to be one of the soccer World Cup stadiums in 2026. Soccer's governing body FIFA insists that all matches be played on grass.

So somehow, some way, SoFi will host soccer games on grass in 2026.

I’ve been very interested to hear the logistics for that.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I’ve been very interested to hear the logistics for that.
Yeah I've been browsing about it just now. I haven't found a lot of specifics about it yet.

Looks like the width of the field is a significant issue-- along with the grass issue.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Quick temporary grass installed at SoFi just a couple months ago for soccer:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3rGZ7_xWo

That is not quick.

I wonder how grass would hold up for an entire NFL season with two teams.. and how much it would limit flexibility for other events. Lot of moving parts. That facility is for much, much more than just football, so I wonder how flexible it could really be with Grass.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
That is not quick.

I wonder how grass would hold up for an entire NFL season with two teams.. and how much it would limit flexibility for other events. Lot of moving parts. That facility is for much, much more than just football, so I wonder how flexible it could really be with Grass.
I used the word "quick" because I think that specific type of grass installation wouldn't meet the standards required by FIFA for the World Cup. They'd require higher quality grass field that's had a few weeks to take root, I believe.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I used the word "quick" because I think that specific type of grass installation wouldn't meet the standards required by FIFA for the World Cup. They'd require higher quality grass field that's had a few weeks to take root, I believe.
Oh.. wasn't a retort, per se.. I just don't see that as quick enough to be utilized for a multipurpose stadium like SOFI regularly.

I also don't know exact terms for the World Cup.

Psycho_X

Legend
Was gonna say they can always bring it in sectionals if the sunlight gets too filtered from the roof to maintain it inside. But then you'd have to find a place to put it outside in between games and constantly move it in and out and I don't think they can simply plop it in the parking lot. Soooo, how far would they have to transport it to find a spot to keep it around LA? I'm guessing logistics would be a nightmare doing that especially if you had to move it during the week during football season. Now if it could be maintained during the football season where it could be kept inside from august 1st through the end of playoffs without having to move it I'd think that becomes simpler but you couldn't have events in between games that would force it to be moved.

But if you have sections that are constantly being moved they wouldn't be cohesive with each other, you'd have seams and other issues, and the grass wouldn't really be able to root up. And I'd think that would be just as dangerous, if not more so, than just playing on fake stuff. /shrug In the end, there is no way to do it that doesn't cost Kroenke a substantial amount of money from maintaining it and limiting what he can use the stadium for during football season.