NFL Leaves Tom Brady off SB-50 Photo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have gotten into this with a guy who lives in Boston but claims to be a Chargers fan because he is from San Diego. He supposedly hates Brady. My theory is that Goodell has had enough with the cheating. He stuck his neck out for the Patriots during Spygate by burning the tapes but probably told them he wont go so easy on them next time. Now they get caught cheating right before the Superbowl when Goodell couldn't possibly take them out of the biggest game of the year and tie his hands. He is pissed and is taking it out on them for making him look like Krafts patsy once again. Goodell doesn't want that label and is furious that Brady and crew couldn't care less... I even speculated that it is possible that he knows that Bill was fully aware of the deflating too but knows he cannot suspend him for a year so he is trying to take it out on Tom as retaliation.

That fellow thinks that it all is a preposterous conspiracy theory. Makes perfect sense to me.

Actually agree with a lot if not all of what you said. Bill should of been suspended. Not sure how he skated here.

The problem with this is the NFL went for felony charges on a misdemeanor.

Having Big Ben on the poster and not Brady is either telling us that his actions are not as bad as what Brady did or they are being petty.....I hope it's just petty lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually agree with a lot if not all of what you said. Bill should of been suspended. Not sure how he skated here.

The problem with this is the NFL went for felony charges on a misdemeanor.

Having Big Ben on the poster and not Brady is either telling us that his actions are not as bad as what Brady did or they are being petty.....I hope it's just petty lol

Well in some ways they are not as bad if you consider that it was years ago and he cleaned up his act. Everyone deserves a second chance so to speak. Brady and Belichick spitting in Goodell's face is a direct insult. If Ben continued to have issues with sexual aggressiveness then I doubt you see him on the poster too. If Brady was not caught cheating again he would be on it.

I really see cheating as a more direct infraction to the league that could be considered much more egregious than personal misconduct. The main reason is that the NFL is making obscene amounts of money and every single owner and anyone else with their hands in that pie want it to continue. If fans start to believe that cheating is tolerated then some are going to walk away and maybe eventually a substantial amount will. If you cannot believe in the league then why watch? I think that is the single most scary proposition for all of the owners.

I think Belichick has been protected in this whole thing. If the fans think he has been cheating for the last 15 years they would all want his head. So they have to make it look like he is innocent. That guy I argue with about the topic claims that docking Belichick draft picks is an enormous punishment. That is a laughable statement because Bill is an unorthodox drafter and he trades away picks all the time. Sure it will hurt him slightly but in the end what would he want? A years suspension or lose a few draft selections? The answer is easy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Doubt it.

I'm going to advance a theory, and it's not really all that far fetched. Braby (yes, intentional misspelling) is 38 now. Typically when QBs reach that age, it's about over. And when they decline, it's sharp. It's not a gradual thing. Joe Montana's last season came when he was 38. John Elway's last season came when was 38. Dan Marino's last season came when he was 38. Steve Young's last season came when he was 38.

And Braby's last season is gonna come when he's 38.

EEFlmAa.jpg

This is Braby's last season, and it won't be a full one.
Wishful thinking! But I'm on-board with it!!(y)(y):banana::nice:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I have gotten into this with a guy who lives in Boston but claims to be a Chargers fan because he is from San Diego. He supposedly hates Brady. My theory is that Goodell has had enough with the cheating. He stuck his neck out for the Patriots during Spygate by burning the tapes but probably told them he wont go so easy on them next time. Now they get caught cheating right before the Superbowl when Goodell couldn't possibly take them out of the biggest game of the year and tie his hands. He is pissed and is taking it out on them for making him look like Krafts patsy once again. Goodell doesn't want that label and is furious that Brady and crew couldn't care less... I even speculated that it is possible that he knows that Bill was fully aware of the deflating too but knows he cannot suspend him for a year so he is trying to take it out on Tom as retaliation.

That fellow thinks that it all is a preposterous conspiracy theory. Makes perfect sense to me.
I really think you have it nailed right there. I also think it is wishful thinking on their part to say that they could somehow come out ahead on this considering the subtle effect officiating can have on outcomes.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well in some ways they are not as bad if you consider that it was years ago and he cleaned up his act. Everyone deserves a second chance so to speak. Brady and Belichick spitting in Goodell's face is a direct insult. If Ben continued to have issues with sexual aggressiveness then I doubt you see him on the poster too. If Brady was not caught cheating again he would be on it.

I really see cheating as a more direct infraction to the league that could be considered much more egregious than personal misconduct. The main reason is that the NFL is making obscene amounts of money and every single owner and anyone else with their hands in that pie want it to continue. If fans start to believe that cheating is tolerated then some are going to walk away and maybe eventually a substantial amount will. If you cannot believe in the league then why watch? I think that is the single most scary proposition for all of the owners.

I think Belichick has been protected in this whole thing. If the fans think he has been cheating for the last 15 years they would all want his head. So they have to make it look like he is innocent. That guy I argue with about the topic claims that docking Belichick draft picks is an enormous punishment. That is a laughable statement because Bill is an unorthodox drafter and he trades away picks all the time. Sure it will hurt him slightly but in the end what would he want? A years suspension or lose a few draft selections? The answer is easy.

Your not alone. Lots think cheating is worse. To me it's trying to gain an edge. Jerry Rice had stick um. Feely got caught messing with balls. It's not much different that a pitcher spitting on a ball or whatever. I think his happens quite a bit. There is a reason Brady and Manning pushed the handling of balls in 2008. All the QB want to make the balls more comfortable for them.

As for Brady and Ben. Brady had nothing to do with spygate. Big Ben had an issue in 2010. That's only 5 years ago. At the end of the day violence against anyone is much worse than messing around with a footballs.

Could not agree more on BB. Someone did something to protect him. Sad because he is a flipping sleazeball. He is a perpetual cheater IMO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As for Brady and Ben. Brady had nothing to do with spygate. Big Ben had an issue in 2010. That's only 5 years ago. At the end of the day violence against anyone is much worse than messing around with a footballs.

True in most cases but isn't Ben married and settled a bit? ?Does Jerry Jones care more about a guy hitting his girlfriend or his bottom line? Answer Greg Hardy

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
...If fans start to believe that cheating is tolerated then some are going to walk away and maybe eventually a substantial amount will. If you cannot believe in the league then why watch?...

Bingo!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
True in most cases but isn't Ben married and settled a bit? ?Does Jerry Jones care more about a guy hitting his girlfriend or his bottom line? Answer Greg Hardy

My point is with, Rice, AP and Hardy and all the bad press, why would you bother putting Ben on? Plus lets not forget Ben was accused twice! Once with the Harrah's employee in Nevada and the college student in Georgia.

Married dont mean anything IMO. Maybe he married so people would think he changed. I mean he married a year after the last rape allegations. He is a scum bag.

Also Brady is married, but he is gay. He is only married so people will think he is straight. You watch, when he retires he is coming out of the closet.

People get married for many reason, love not always being the motivation.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My point is with, Rice, AP and Hardy and all the bad press, why would you bother putting Ben on? Plus lets not forget Ben was accused twice! Once with the Harrah's employee in Nevada and the college student in Georgia.

Married dont mean anything IMO. Maybe he married so people would think he changed. I mean he married a year after the last rape allegations. He is a scum bag.

Also Brady is married, but he is gay. He is only married so people will think he is straight. You watch, when he retires he is coming out of the closet.

People get married for many reason, love not always being the motivation.

Most casual fans barely remember Bens transgressions. In a few years they will barely remember Greg Hardy's too. Plus Ben plays for the Steelers. They have an image of responsibility and being the most well run company in the NFL. Certainly they wouldn't continue to tolerate Ben if he had not changed his ways. I am speaking in jest there because I don't buy it but I bet much of the public does. I bet the NFL knows that too so they think he belongs. He is still regarded as one of the best QBs in the league and that is all most fans really care about, not what happened 5 years ago. In fact most fans would rather see their franchise QB forgiven and remain with the team than see their seasons hopes and dreams die with punishment even if it is for an act they despise. I recall cheering hard for Leonard Little despite his crimes. Now that I am a parent I feel differently about it but when I was a single man and was too busy to contemplate what he did I just wanted to make sure he kept getting sacks for the Rams. Not all NFL fans are grown up and mature thinkers. After the WR showing with hands in the air last year I wouldn't have cared if the Rams booted everyone of them off the team. I think if vetted out and proven to be what it appeared to be they should have been suspended at the very least. 20 years ago? I wouldn't have cared.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One thing that realy mucks up the whole deflategate thing is that the NFL supposedly exaggerated the evidence they had on the deflated balls. Now if opposing teams players are noticing the ball deflation then I am sure it happened but many argue that the NFL had nothing on the Patriots and their punishment is unjust. The big question would be why? Why would they make up evidence or exaggerate it? My idea is that the knew it happened and figured they had enough and were pissed enough to gamble that they did.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Most casual fans barely remember Bens transgressions. In a few years they will barely remember Greg Hardy's too. Plus Ben plays for the Steelers. They have an image of responsibility and being the most well run company in the NFL. Certainly they wouldn't continue to tolerate Ben if he had not changed his ways. I am speaking in jest there because I don't buy it but I bet much of the public does. I bet the NFL knows that too so they think he belongs. He is still regarded as one of the best QBs in the league and that is all most fans really care about, not what happened 5 years ago. In fact most fans would rather see their franchise QB forgiven and remain with the team than see their seasons hopes and dreams die with punishment even if it is for an act they despise. I recall cheering hard for Leonard Little despite his crimes. Now that I am a parent I feel differently about it but when I was a single man and was too busy to contemplate what he did I just wanted to make sure he kept getting sacks for the Rams. Not all NFL fans are grown up and mature thinkers. After the WR showing with hands in the air last year I wouldn't have cared if the Rams booted everyone of them off the team. I think if vetted out and proven to be what it appeared to be they should have been suspended at the very least. 20 years ago? I wouldn't have cared.

Cant disagree with anything there. Well said my friend.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
One thing that realy mucks up the whole deflategate thing is that the NFL supposedly exaggerated the evidence they had on the deflated balls. Now if opposing teams players are noticing the ball deflation then I am sure it happened but many argue that the NFL had nothing on the Patriots and their punishment is unjust. The big question would be why? Why would they make up evidence or exaggerate it? My idea is that the knew it happened and figured they had enough and were pissed enough to gamble that they did.

I dont think they made it up. I think they thought they had something....which I still think they do but for some reason decided to focus on a small sample. McNally was not hired by the Patriots until 2008 when the new Manning, Brady rule was put in place allowing QBs to manage the balls during pregame before official inspections. I would argue this has been going on since then. I would also bet Manning has done deflated balls also.....(man of very small hands). So why not investigate back to that time?

The NFL muffed this up. I honestly think they could of nailed the Patriots on this if they did their due diligence. Everything in this process was so shoddy, especially the Mortenson tweets (leak) which were inaccurate.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Its also worth noting that when Feely testified he mentioned that the Pats and Jets had been complaining about balls for years. It was the Patriots who ratted out the Jets on the Feely balls. There was plenty of instances that we are not even aware of that the NFL was privy to. Also it confirms that Belicheck was well aware what McNally was doing and further questions what you said earlier about why BB skated.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
[av]http://the-x-factor.website/B/oneofthese.mp3[/av]
Any guess as to what song will be playing over and over in my head for the rest of the day now? Grrrr......