NFL Draft Discussion: Rounds 4-7

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MizzOU

UDFA
Thing is these hybrid types never really turn out. And Pierre Desir is still on the board who could have been an actual safety...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the ten minutes of youtube I've seen, he's a box type of safety with limited coverage skills. Think we need an FS, but if they want to draft for depth that's fine. Just am not a fan of the pick myself.

My bet is that they didn't draft him to play FS. Probably drafted him to play special teams and be a sub-package LB as well as depth behind TJ.

PhxRam

You guys are NOT double posting. It is only seemingly a double post to YOU. It is just a by-product of a "live thread"

CoachO

Hall of Fame
From the ten minutes of youtube I've seen, he's a box type of safety with limited coverage skills. Think we need an FS, but if they want to draft for depth that's fine. Just am not a fan of the pick myself.

you just said, it,, you are looking at NEEDS,, not BPA they are drafting football players. not trying to fill NEEDS.

And did the concept of "interchangeable safeties" get lost by everyone in here? they don't have a SS/FS designation in the Fisher/Williams scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. But I think that is why people are questioning the pick because he did not drum up enough interest for people to see him play.

I think that's the issue...and it doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick. We just don't know the guy. Hell, I don't know him. Which is why I'm not offering an opinion.

A55VA6

Legend
Alexander actually went to high school with one of my ex-girlfriends. She said she knew him. Thought that was kind of cool.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
you just said, it,, you are looking at NEEDS,, not BPA they are drafting football players. not trying to fill NEEDS.

And did the concept of "interchangeable safeties" get lost by everyone in here? they don't have a SS/FS designation in the Fisher/Williams scheme.

Apparently, Williams relies heavily on a single coverage safety in his scheme, so we do need a safety that is good in coverage. Alexander isn't interchangable from what I've seen and read.

And I think there were starters on the board at this pick. Not just depth.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think that's the issue...and it doesn't necessarily make it a bad pick. We just don't know the guy. Hell, I don't know him. Which is why I'm not offering an opinion.
I don't know him either and I watch a lot of MW games out here. Just sounds like a project to me... so that must mean they are good with Davis and McLeod

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
My bet is that they didn't draft him to play FS. Probably drafted him to play special teams and be a sub-package LB as well as depth behind TJ.

Probably didn't draft him to play FS. I think Ray Ray can fill the sub-package LB role just fine though, and we can get depth and ST in later rounds IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know him either and I watch a lot of MW games out here. Just sounds like a project to me... so that must mean they are good with Davis and McLeod

Or possibly we have a veteran safety in mind that is in FA or we expect to get cut and we don't have any safeties graded as starting caliber right now.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
why is it such a shock that they actually like McLeod or Davis? These are BOTH young and promising players, who were strapped with a failed DC last year in Walton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably didn't draft him to play FS. I think Ray Ray can fill the sub-package LB role just fine though, and we can get depth and ST in later rounds IMO.

This is the fourth round. It is the later rounds. People always undervalue special teams.

And then we get angry when our special teams full of UDFAs performs poorly. :LOL:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This is the fourth round. It is the later rounds. People always undervalue special teams.

And then we get angry when our special teams full of UDFAs performs poorly. :LOL:

Later rounds than round 4, I mean. 5th, 6th, 7th at least. We already have a beast of a special teams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
why is it such a shock that they actually like McLeod or Davis? These are BOTH young and promising players, who were strapped with a failed DC last year in Walton.

If McLeod plays with more discipline this year, I don't think he's terrible. But he hurt us last year with some major mental errors.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Agreed for some reason or another some have lost the development concept and if players don't immediately perform to their expectations it's time to cut them and draft or sign new blood. Instant gratification is now the name of the game it seems coach0

crazyhorns

Rookie
Can the rams offer a 6th and 7th rounder to move into the 5th round? I would think the Redskins would be interested?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Later rounds than round 4, I mean. 5th, 6th, 7th at least. We already have a beast of a special teams.

This is Round 4. I think it's unrealistic to expect the Rams to be drafting an immediate starter here.