NFC title snap Counts (Rise of Safeties SCOTT & WEDDLE)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rams snap counts: Weddle doesn't miss a play, Michel out-snaps Akers in NFC Championship​

1367747477.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

January 31, 2022 12:52 pm PT

In the biggest game of the season, the Los Angeles Rams let their starters do the bulk of the work against the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday night. They didn’t vary their personnel much and stuck to their game plan of shutting down the rushing attack and airing the ball out on offense. It led to a 20-17 comeback victory, sending the Rams to Super Bowl LVI. There were a handful of backups who stepped up, namely Kendall Blanton, but for the most part, it was the starters who carried Los Angeles to victory.

Eric Weddle was a key contributor, A’Shawn Robinson helped slow down the ground game and Travin Howard was solid in coverage at linebacker. Here’s a breakdown of the playing time from Sunday’s win, showing how much each player played.

Offense​

Screen-Shot-2022-01-31-at-3.13.40-PM.png

In addition to the five starting linemen, Cooper Kupp and Matthew Stafford also played every snap on offense. No other player was on the field for more than 90% of the snaps, however. Van Jefferson and Odell Beckham Jr. played 87% and 86% of the snaps, respectively, maintaining their roles as the other starting wide receivers.

Ben Skowronek was the No. 4 receiver and played 21 snaps, though he didn’t catch a pass. He did drop one in the end zone, which should’ve gone for an easy touchdown.

Sony Michel actually out-snapped Cam Akers 44 to 30, and that’s not just because Akers injured his shoulder in the first half. He returned and was on the field in the fourth quarter, but the Rams leaned on Michel a bit more in this game – primarily for his work in pass protection.

Kendall Blanton stepped up and played 61 snaps in place of the injured Tyler Higbee, who was limited to only 14 snaps before exiting with a knee issue. No other tight ends were active on Sunday, so it was up to Blanton to shoulder the load.

Jake Funk and Coleman Shelton played three and two snaps, respectively. Funk was only in there for the three kneeldowns, and Shelton checked in as an extra lineman a couple of times.

Defense​

Screen-Shot-2022-01-31-at-3.13.49-PM.png

Yet again, the Rams’ four starters in the secondary played every snap. That was common in the regular season, except it was always Jordan Fuller and Taylor Rapp at safety. On Sunday, it was Nick Scott and Eric Weddle. Weddle came out of a two-year retirement and just played all 51 snaps in the Rams’ biggest game of the season, leading the team in tackling, too.

Troy Reeder was still the top linebacker and signal caller, playing 96% of the snaps. Ernest Jones returned from IR but he played only 22 snaps as the third linebacker, two fewer snaps than Travin Howard played.

Aaron Donald and Greg Gaines only came off the field for two plays each, showing impressive durability and conditioning to stay out there for just about every snap. A’Shawn Robinson made a huge impact in his 28 snaps, playing arguably the best game of his Rams career.

Leonard Floyd and Von Miller played 46 and 39 snaps, respectively. Miller hasn’t played more than 76% of the defensive snaps since Week 18, but he’s still dominating as a pass rusher. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo helped give him a rest with 12 snaps played, as well, while Justin Hollins played seven snaps of his own.

With how run-heavy the 49ers were, the Rams only used David Long Jr. on 24 snaps, keeping their base defense on the field for the majority of the plays. Dont’e Deayon didn’t play a single snap for the second straight week, nor did Terrell Burgess. Long and Weddle have ascended to replace both players in the secondary.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Wow, a lot of interesting storylines in these stats.

Long beating out Deayon for PT, who woulda thunk it? Maybe Deayon's slight frame wasn't a plus versus the SF power game.

Weddle! Unreal.

Nick Scott emerging, Burgess still MIA.

Gaines at nearly 100% of snaps, well ahead of Robinson.

Michel extra carries more due to Akers' shoulder, I'd guess.

As much grief as Reeder gets, coaches must like him. Reeder with 96% of snaps, Hollins with only 14%, wow.

E. Jones being brought along slowly due to injury, I'd guess. I imagine his snaps will increase in the SB.

Biggest pleasant surprise is Nick Scott and Eric Weddle emerging to settle down the secondary.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burgess looks like a bust. Sorry to say. Rams had to go get a guy who hadn't played in 2 years because Burgess wasn't ready. That says it all.

Still plenty of room for him to turn it on next year of course. But I think that's very unlikely.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter

Long beating out Deayon for PT, who woulda thunk it? Maybe Deayon's slight frame wasn't a plus versus the SF power game.

Weddle! Unreal.

As much grief as Reeder gets, coaches must like him. Reeder with 96% of snaps, Hollins with only 14%, wow.

E. Jones being brought along slowly due to injury, I'd guess. I imagine his snaps will increase in the SB.

Biggest pleasant surprise is Nick Scott and Eric Weddle emerging to settle down the secondary.
I'm sure Michel out snapped Akers for pass pro
So far I've re watched the first half and I thought Reeder was playing well making a lot of plays.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DC Morris used only two safeties in the 9ers NFC Championship game is unbelievable! :explode1:

The only other DB utilized was corner David Long with 47% of the snaps. Guess that hybrid SS/LB'er Travin Howard ended up serving the Rams in many different positions & situations in that secondary last Sunday evening.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Burgess looks like a bust. Sorry to say. Rams had to go get a guy who hadn't played in 2 years because Burgess wasn't ready. That says it all.

Still plenty of room for him to turn it on next year of course. But I think that's very unlikely.
I am still holding out hope that Terrell Burgess's foot/ankle injury in 2020 was still an issue this entire season that caused his mediocre performance on the field with the defense.

It's a very slim bit of hope too....like we said earlier today that Snead needs to address the deep safety position because he is well endowed with Strong Safeties on his roster.

Nick Scott who has primarily been known as the deep safety reserve for most of the last 3 regular seasons played up close to the LOS for close to half of the defensive plays last Sunday. Eric Weddle in an article posted today played primarily single high deep safetry against the 9ers.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Weddle! Unreal.

Like this version of our secondary. Weddle is amazing. Not sure how fast he is at this point, but he can still tackle.

What also stands out to me is that Rams ran 77 plays on offense, only 51 on defense. Rams also won time of possession 35:39 to 24:21.

Compare that with the regular season final against the Niners. SF then ran 67 to 64 plays for the Rams and won TOP 36:44 to 31:24.

RamWoodie

Legend
Weddle was surprising. I wasn't a fan of bringing him in...but the guy proved himself. I think he did more in the 9er game than he did when he played a full season with the Rams.

He's coaching material if he wants it...and McVay should consider him.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the snaps remain the same with an increase for a healthy Higbee and Notebloom all will be good.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Weddle was surprising. I wasn't a fan of bringing him in...but the guy proved himself. I think he did more in the 9er game than he did when he played a full season with the Rams.

He's coaching material if he wants it...and McVay should consider him.
Seems to me he has helped free up Scott to make plays too. In truth, I would consider signing him for next year if he can still run well enough to defend deep passes. He can coach when he's 42.

RamWoodie

Legend
If the snaps remain the same with an increase for a healthy Higbee and Notebloom all will be good.
Not to mention the ability to go double TE with Higbee and Blanton...and both those guy can play as a big WR too!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is the rise in Nick Scott 3 game playoff performance tied to the fact that the Rams injected retired Eric Weddle in @ FS & starting safeties Fuller & Rapp were out?

How is it possible that an NFL team can win a Championship game by playing only 2 safties the entire game?

Cincy starts 3 safeties in their base defense.

How much did Weddle's influence the struggling DB David Long who turned in his best game of 2021 season being the only other DB on the field in that 9ers game?

Did DC Morris use 5th DB corner, David Long, playing the 3rd safety role in his defense last Sunday?

Tano

Legend
I'm sure Michel out snapped Akers for pass pro
So far I've re watched the first half and I thought Reeder was playing well making a lot of plays.
Did you miss all the plays that he got dragged 5 yards or more

Tano

Legend
I am still holding out hope that Terrell Burgess's foot/ankle injury in 2020 was still an issue this entire season that caused his mediocre performance on the field with the defense.
Maybe - Allen was pretty much out the entire season last year because of his injury in 2019

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the rise in Nick Scott 3 game playoff performance tied to the fact that the Rams injected retired Eric Weddle in @ FS & starting safeties Fuller & Rapp were out?

How is it possible that an NFL team can win a Championship game by playing only 2 safties the entire game?

Cincy starts 3 safeties in their base defense.

How much did Weddle's influence the struggling DB David Long who turned in his best game of 2021 season being the only other DB on the field in that 9ers game?

Did DC Morris use 5th DB corner, David Long, playing the 3rd safety role in his defense last Sunday?
It's an interesting question. I think EW has helped the comms issues we've had all season back there. But I also wouldn't want to take cred from Scott for doing what he's been doing. I just hope he's got one more game in him, both him and EW for that matter.

They weren't perfect vs the 9ers btw. Definitely had some blown coverages. If the 9ers had a better QB we would've been in some shit because we left a lot of points on the field on both sides. Cincy I am sure knows the Rams have some big edges but one edge they can see for themselves is our secondary vs their WRs. Question is whether he's gonna have time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's an interesting question. I think EW has helped the comms issues we've had all season back there. But I also wouldn't want to take cred from Scott for doing what he's been doing. I just hope he's got one more game in him, both him and EW for that matter.

They weren't perfect vs the 9ers btw. Definitely had some blown coverages. If the 9ers had a better QB we would've been in some shit because we left a lot of points on the field on both sides. Cincy I am sure knows the Rams have some big edges but one edge they can see for themselves is our secondary vs their WRs. Question is whether he's gonna have time.
I agree fully with your last sentence this has not been discussed much.

Cincy's receivers vs Rams secondary......big Cincy edge IMO......however add in Rams DL vs the Cincy OL then this Cincy receiving cadre edge diminishes a bit.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Former Penn State captain Nick Scott wants to keep coming up big for Rams in Super Bowl 56​

1644594258047.png

By Daniel Gallen | dgallen@pennlive.com

Over the past month or so, Nick Scott has put himself in a number of high-profile situations. The Los Angeles Rams safety laid out Arizona Cardinals wide receiver A.J. Green in a key moment in the playoff opener. A week later, he intercepted Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady and broke up two other passes in a victory.

And almost two weeks ago, Scott again dished out a big hit when he flattened San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel to cause an incompletion. That last play was key. It was part of a 20-17 victory that sent Scott and the Rams to the Super Bowl.

The former Penn State team captain has emerged as a key cog in the Los Angeles defense over the past month, and he’s shined against the Rams’ toughest opponents in the biggest spots. And even while his profile has grown, Scott has tuned all of it out entering Sunday’s matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals in Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles.

“I don’t really focus on that. I just try to lock in on the next game, and the next game being the Super Bowl and make the plays I’m supposed to,” Scott said during a Zoom news conference Thursday.

Scott operates on the back end of a Rams defense that is filled with star power, including defensive tackle Aaron Donald, defensive end Von Miller and cornerback Jalen Ramsey. But Scott’s emergence because of injuries has helped stabilize the defense entering its matchup with a Bengals aerial attack featuring Joe Burrow, Ja’Marr Chase, Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd.

In a way, the 26-year-old Scott’s journey to this position has mirrored his career at Penn State. Scott arrived in 2014 as a three-star running back. He left after the 2018 season as a safety who had played on both sides of the ball, carved out a key role on special teams and ultimately became a solid starter in the Nittany Lions secondary.

The Rams saw something in him and selected him in the seventh round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

“First off, playing for Coach [James] Franklin, it was a blessing,” Scott said. “He gave me an opportunity to go to college, get an education for free. He brought a lot of talent into that program and has had a lot of success, so it was a blessing playing for him. He’s got a great family, he’s a great guy, so I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.”

Penn State vs Ohio State, Sept. 29, 2018

Penn State head coach James Franklin gets hyped up with safety Nick Scott before the Ohio State game on Sept. 29, 2018. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

With Los Angeles, it was slow, steady going for Scott. He played only 15 defensive snaps in his rookie season. That number rose to 193 in 2020. At the same time, he became a core contributor on special teams by playing more than 81% of the snaps in that area in each of his first two seasons.

Finally, Scott worked his way into the defense in 2021. He played 35.5% of the Rams’ defensive snaps. He made his first career start in Week 15. And in the playoffs, Scott has started all three games and played every defensive snap. He credited his teammates for helping him have success as his role expanded.

“We’re obviously a group that’s really connected,” Scott said. “It’s rare to have a group of guys who are more or less all around the same age in one room but also we take our job really seriously and I think that it shows. So I’m just extremely blessed to be a part of a group like this, and hopefully we can just continue to do what we’ve been doing and put our team in a position to be successful on Sunday.”

Nick Scott

San Francisco 49ers' Deebo Samuel, right, cannot catch a pass after being hit by Los Angeles Rams' Nick Scott during the first half of the NFC Championship NFL football game Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)AP

Scott and fellow defensive back Grant Haley are Penn State’s two representatives in Super Bowl LVI, and as young players on the biggest stage, Scott highlighted the number of veterans on the team that they’re able to lean on.

Safety Eric Weddle came out of retirement for the playoff run. Miller previously won a Super Bowl with the Denver Broncos, while Donald was on this stage with the Rams three years ago. Even quarterback Matthew Stafford, Scott said, has provided a presence in the locker room despite spending his entire career with the moribund Detroit Lions.

Scott has the chance to add the ultimate goal to his football resume Sunday night. And if the Rams defeat the Bengals, there’s a good chance that Scott was right in the middle of it. After all, he’s come up big in those situations all playoffs long.

“It’s been fun,” Scott said. “It’s been a blessing to have this opportunity. There’s only two teams right now still in the facility and still practicing, so it’s been a blessing.”

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams plan for Eric Weddle to play every snap, be the signal caller in Super Bowl LVI​

1644594838836.png

Cameron DaSilva Fri, February 11, 2022, 9:51 AM

Eric Weddle was playing five-on-five basketball in retirement about month ago, enjoying life away from football. Now he’s set to play every snap in his first-ever Super Bowl.

The Rams brought Weddle out of retirement before their playoff run, easing him back into things. He played 19 snaps in the wild-card game, 61 in the divisional round and all 51 snaps in the conference championship. In Super Bowl LVI, he’s expected to be on the field for every play again, and he’ll also be the Rams’ defensive signal caller.

Raheem Morris shared that news on Thursday, saying Weddle will take over that responsibility from Troy Reeder, who’s been handling it in Jordan Fuller’s absence. For a player who’s been on the team for a month, it’s incredible that he knows the playbook and calls so well already.

View: https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1491961750211624962?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1491961750211624962%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2022%2F02%2F11%2Frams-eric-weddle-super-bowl-snaps-signal-caller%2F

The signal caller typically plays every snap, which Reeder hasn’t been doing in recent weeks. And given his struggles at linebacker, the Rams would probably prefer to rotate him more than they have, now that Ernest Jones is back from his ankle injury, too.

Weddle is more than capable of handling this responsibility, and after leading the team in tackles two weeks ago, he’s become an impactful player, too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I hope the Rams pass rush is preparing for rollouts, because that's one thing the Bengals might do to counter the mismatch between their OL and our DL.