Safety play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Am I the only one who thinks we're playing better on the back end with Nick Scott and Eric Weddle at safety? What is McVay going to do when Taylor Rapp is available in the Super Bowl? I remember a few weeks ago Jalen and Rapp getting into it during the game. I have a feeling Jalen is more comfortable with Weddle back there. I think the only weak spot we have in the secondary is Darius Williams. Personally, I think Deayon is playing better in that spot.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm sure you're not the only one. I would definitely keep Weddle and Scott back there for the Super Bowl the way they have been playing. Scott has become a bit of an enforcer with hits like the beauty he delivered to mouthy-ass Deebo. Weddle led the team in tackles in the NFCC and made the big stop on 2nd and short near midfield in the 4th quarter that helped turn the tide.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn’t it Scott who delivers a ball separating hit on Green from the Cardinals in the first playoff game? The one that Sean had to challenge as an incompletion?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I doubt we make a change at this point. Both are playing better than their predecessors

Tano

Legend
I would only put Rapp in there on 1st down and keep him close to the line of scrimmage to give Weddle a rest now and then

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I find it hard to believe Rapp has been out 3 wks due to concussion protocol. I think there is more to it than that and don't expect Rapp to play in the Super bowl.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would only put Rapp in there on 1st down and keep him close to the line of scrimmage to give Weddle a rest now and then
I prefer that DC Morris would use Terrell Burgess over Taylor Rapp as the 3rd safety along with some Travin Howard in the upcoming SB game.

TH was utilized at times playing as a weakside ILB & as an "In the Box/Up-Close Safety " when ILB'ers Reader & Jones were on the field inside on early downs.

I like TH a lot & think he is much faster, quicker & a far better pass defender than the 2019 top draft selection Taylor Rapp. Now that rookie ILB E. Jones is back healthy, it's my hope ILB/SS Travin Howard sees a ton of snaps all over in conjunction with safeties Nick Scott & Eric Weddle.

I like the future possibilities in 2022 of having Nick Scott as our starting deep safety & Jordan Fuller as our starting Strong Safety in 2022 with Terrell Burgess. Never know FS Eric Weddle may resign for one last go in 2022 too.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I would be really surprised if the starting safeties for the SB aren't Weddle and Scott. I could see Rapp getting some sub package snaps, but I think the back end has been much improved - and lets all remember how fast the sky was falling around here when we brought Weddle out of retirement.

Tano

Legend
I prefer that DC Morris would use Terrell Burgess over Taylor Rapp as the 3rd safety along with some Travin Howard in the upcoming SB game.

TH was utilized at times playing as a weakside ILB & as an "In the Box/Up-Close Safety " when ILB'ers Reader & Jones were on the field inside on early downs.

I like TH a lot & think he is much faster, quicker & a far better pass defender than the 2019 top draft selection Taylor Rapp. Now that rookie ILB E. Jones is back healthy, it's my hope ILB/SS Travin Howard sees a ton of snaps all over in conjunction with safeties Nick Scott & Eric Weddle.

I like the future possibilities in 2022 of having Nick Scott as our starting deep safety & Jordan Fuller as our starting Strong Safety in 2022 with Terrell Burgess. Never know FS Eric Weddle may resign for one last go in 2022 too.
Taylor Rapp is a much better in the box safety than a cover safety so I would be okay with him in there on first down.

Have him Howard and Jones in on first down when Weddle needs a rest.

I would keep Howard and Jones in the game the entire time

Burgess can be in there when Weddle needs a rest on 3rd down and long

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I must admit, on first hearing that Weddle was returning at 37 years old and two years out of the league, I thought we were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for available players. Then this guy comes in with a completely ripped body, obviously in great shape and condition and plays smart like he hasn't missed a day, ... now I hope he might be interested in staying on next year as an assistant coach, kinda like I feel about Whitworth. This guy really is an amazing story.
jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Am I the only one who thinks we're playing better on the back end with Nick Scott and Eric Weddle at safety? What is McVay going to do when Taylor Rapp is available in the Super Bowl? I remember a few weeks ago Jalen and Rapp getting into it during the game. I have a feeling Jalen is more comfortable with Weddle back there. I think the only weak spot we have in the secondary is Darius Williams. Personally, I think Deayon is playing better in that spot.
Yes. I’ve always felt that Fuller was overhyped. They get a stud like Weddle in there and suddenly the entire unit looks better, especially Nick Scott.

I hope it’s an open competition next year. Scott is more athletic than Fuller. Or maybe they can move Rapp and then Fuller can play Strong safety while Scott plays free safety. Or maybe they actually draft an even better safety in the third or fourth round. None of the Rams safeties are great.

And either hire Weddle as a player/coach. He’s a Commode on the field.

I find it hard to believe Rapp has been out 3 wks due to concussion protocol. I think there is more to it than that and don't expect Rapp to play in the Super bowl.
I agree. I don't even remember the hit that caused it. It seemed that he was benched after he was just covering green grass on the Niners TD game 17. I think they realize he is too slow to diagnose the play and is always a split second late. To me it's pretty obvious that he is 'concussed' so that they don't have to explain his benching and it makes him easier to trade in the off season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I wouldn't be changing anything.. especially against a team that puts the ball in the air the way the Bengals do. I think I'd give Rapp the few reps Burgess is getting at this point, and that's about it.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree. I don't even remember the hit that caused it. It seemed that he was benched after he was just covering green grass on the Niners TD game 17. I think they realize he is too slow to diagnose the play and is always a split second late. To me it's pretty obvious that he is 'concussed' so that they don't have to explain his benching and it makes him easier to trade in the off season.
If the Rams staff is giving him false info or saying he can't play due to injury that is not factual is a lawsuit waiting to happen. So I don't think they are that dumb, but maybe in agreement with Rapp to use that as an excuse until he is dealt to another team. Even that seems a little crazy, but so does being out 3 wks with a concussion for a hit noone even saw happen. We'll have to see this play out.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If the Rams staff is giving him false info or saying he can't play due to injury that is not factual is a lawsuit waiting to happen. So I don't think they are that dumb, but maybe in agreement with Rapp to use that as an excuse until he is dealt to another team. Even that seems a little crazy, but so does being out 3 wks with a concussion for a hit noone even saw happen. We'll have to see this play out.
It doesn’t seem a LITTLE crazy.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I must admit, on first hearing that Weddle was returning at 37 years old and two years out of the league, I thought we were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for available players. Then this guy comes in with a completely ripped body, obviously in great shape and condition and plays smart like he hasn't missed a day, ... now I hope he might be interested in staying on next year as an assistant coach, kinda like I feel about Whitworth. This guy really is an amazing story.
jmo.
If the Rams did lose Ejiro Evero for what ever reason. Weddle would be a great fit for that position…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There were probs in the game on the back end but I do agree it's amazing to see them patch things up with Weddle back there and get it done.

The TD to Kittle you had Weddle take the underneath, looked like SF schemed in a choice there for him and the TD went over the top where he vacated. I wonder whether Scott should have cycled his way and suspect that is the case but either way you can't expect perfection. The secondary definitely has things to fix though and if you give Burrow those looks he'll probably hit them.

Next year maybe we see Scott & Fuller as our duo though. Scott deserves that look for sure.