Newton: At times I don't feel protected

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This does make me think that Cam may get a quick flag thrown on us next week as a potential make up call. So.....

I say we earn the freaking flag.

Sometimes it worth every one of the 15 yards they march off.

Seriously though... I bet his whining about it in the face of the refs like this hurts Cam more than it helps. Sure hope so anyway.
18a337e5ddf74a0eaf191b3b44f16481.png

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ell-will-speak-with-cam-nfl-will-review-hits/

Report: Goodell will speak with Cam, NFL will review hits
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 31, 2016

camnewtonapril27ap.jpg
AP

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said today that he had talked to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell about the team’s concerns that Cam Newton is not getting the kind of protection from the referees that other quarterbacks get. Goodell apparently took that complaint seriously.

According to Ed Werder of ESPN, Goodell promised Rivera that he will talk to Newton directly to hear the reigning MVP’s concerns. Goodell also promised that the league will review hits on Newton to determine whether he’s not getting enough protection.

The league routinely reviews every hit on quarterbacks, so that’s not particularly noteworthy. But it is noteworthy that Goodell has promised to address concerns personally with a player.

Newton said after Sunday’s game that he can’t feel safe if the officials don’t do a better job of protecting him. Perhaps Goodell can say something to give Newton some peace of mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pittsburgh Steelers OT calls Carolina Panthers' Cam Newton "scared"

PITTSBURGH, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- It's a little easier to trash talk an opponent whom you will never, technically, compete against.

On Monday, Pittsburgh Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert called out Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. Newton, who missed time this season following a concussion, said that there are times when he "doesn't even feel safe" on the football field.

"It's really taking the fun out of the game for me," Newton told reporters Sunday after the Panthers beat the Arizona Cardinals. "At times I don't even feel safe. And enough is enough. I plan on talking to commissioner (Roger) Goodell about this. And I don't know what I have to do."

Gilbert isn't feeling sorry for Newton, in fact he said Newton's playing style and accolades give opponents motivation to go after him on the field.

"Ben [Roethlisberger] gets hit more than anybody in the league, and he never complains. C'mon, man. This is the game of football," Gilbert told ESPN. "If you're out there and you're scared to take a shot, then don't be out there, especially if you're a running quarterback. [Defenses] are going to take shots at you. Just the way, his style of playing football, how he celebrates, I guess he gives the guys a chip, like let's go hit the reigning NFL MVP."

Newton was hit low again this weekend by Cardinals defense tackle Calais Campbell, hence his proactive approach for future protection from the league.

"When he's running over people, he's going to stand right up and he's going to celebrate," Gilbert told ESPN. "This is the game of football. I'm sure there are cornerbacks or linebackers, whoever he's running over, the safeties, they aren't complaining about getting run over or getting crowned, facemask to facemask with the quarterback from a guy his size. Of course, guys are going to take shots ... I don't think anybody is trying to purposefully hurt him, but you're going to get those extra hits, especially against such a great player."

The Panthers don't play the Steelers this season and since Newton and Gilbert both play offensive positions, the duo will likely never face each other on a football field. Newton will suit up at 4:05 p.m. next Sunday against the Los Angeles Rams. Gilbert's Steelers kickoff at 1 p.m. against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium.

Newton, the 2015 NFL MVP, has completed 118-of-207 passes, for 1,508 yards, eight touchdowns, and six interceptions this season. He also has 191 rushing yards, three rushing scores, and a 2-4 record as a starter in 2016.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/...ina-Panthers-Cam-Newton-scared/2481477966668/

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I hope the defense beats him so bad he walks out of the post game conference.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God forbid anything happen to his legs..................... Then he wouldn't be able to do all those different celebration dances he practices all week with his teammates. It's all about the dance for this cat. Again, Jack Youngblood NEVER did a dance.

Lol different time and different player.. The game is about entertainment he is a young black qb he dances so what, so does every other black person and Aaron rodgers dance Andrew luck does hell even Brett Favre did just because he shows his emotions differently then the CONTEMPORARY QBS did doesnt make him less of a qb in this league but because he is a qb he is not supposed to dance after he makes a big play. And to compare him to Jack youngblood lol.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Most roughing the passer penalties by QB since 2011:

Cam Newton: 22
Ryan Fitzpatrick: 22
Aaron Rodgers: 18
Matt Ryan: 17
Ryan Tannehill: 17

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameday-prime/0ap3000000731191/LT-and-Deion-question-Cam-Newton-s-case-on-hits

-----------------------
Ex-VP of officials compares Cam to Vick, says Newton has 'consistency of whining'
Former NFL VP of officiating Mike Pereira thinks Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is whining
by Will Brinson

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/e...-vick-says-newton-has-consistency-of-whining/

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Most roughing the passer penalties by QB since 2011:
Hm I don't believe this list, I'm pretty sure Joe Montana has the most since 2011 (despite being retired for 20 years), since they pretty much invented the penalty for him. Mike Pereira should know, he's a 49er fan.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A defender continues an effort to tackle or "hit" a passer after the passer has already thrown a pass. A defender is allowed to take one step after the ball is thrown; a defender is penalized if he hits the passer having taken two or more steps after the ball leaves the passer's hand.

There was an average of 3.19 Roughing the Passer penalties per team league wide in 2015.

The Rams had 5 called against them. Hayes, Quinn, Fairly, Barron, and Donald had one each. Three were called on their opponents.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/roughing-the-passer?year=2015

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/02/rams-not-planning-to-hold-back-on-cam-newton/

Rams not planning to hold back on Cam Newton
Posted by Darin Gantt on November 2, 2016

185420127-e1478080121270.jpg
Getty Images

While the low hit from Calais Campbell was the trigger for Cam Newton’s post-game screed about illegal hits, the fact he’s playing the Rams next certainly had to be in the back of his mind, given their reputation for, ahem, physical play.

But the Rams said they won’t hold back on the MVP, even though they realize there will probably be more eyes on them after he met with commissioner Roger Goodell.

He probably needs to slide a little bit faster,” defensive end William Hayes said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times.

“The whole point of the game is for 11 people to hit 11 people,” defensive tackle Dominique Easley added.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he thought the Panthers quarterback “overreacted” to the hit “but I can understand his frustration on that.” (Newton said he was afraid his ACL was torn, which could explain the reaction.)

Fisher also said that “half a dozen or so” illegal hits on quarterback Case Keenum were missed this season, which explains why he’s one of the Whoops, Sorry 11.

Then again, it’s not Keenum that Newton should be worried about. The Rams have developed a reputation over the years, and two defensive players have already been ejected this season

“We’re not going to out there to play dirty,” Hayes said. “We just play physical and fast.

“We’re not going to target him because he’s complaining about getting hit.”

Well that’s a relief. Because that would be dirty.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't feel protected? Simple solution, Cam.

36634d7ad1c7431dadb59923ac98200b.jpeg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We're playing the panthers this week - right? Hey Cam...
raw

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok. Here we go and this is where this could be going. The QB just has to be touched with TWO hands and he is considered down. If he is running, a defender just has to touch you with two hands and you're down. Make the QB protected as hell. It already feels like pansy football compared to other eras.
Just do it NFL and solve the problem. We will hate it at first, but, it will protect the QB and stop all the concussions and knee injuries. It ruins the game we love, but long term, this may be what happens ultimately. Stranger things have happened in pro football (dildo on the field comes to mind).
Bradford never would have got his knee torn with the two hand touch in place.
LET THE HATE BEGIN!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I understand where he's coming from because if that was Brady the flag would of been thrown. But cam is also 6'5 250 and runs over defenders every week, most defenders wont hit him high and he has to understand that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford never would have got his knee torn with the two hand touch in place.

Haha. Funny since that's exactly what happened both times. Or is that why you said that? Not sure because you didn't use blue font.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I expect to see caaaam squealing like a stuck pig in the press conference after the game. If not the d didn't do their job properly.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Might as well wrap him in bubble wrap. My fear is the refs will suddenly have an "heightened awareness" due to his complaining this week, and end up protecting him from the slightest contact. I'm sure after his recent meeting with Roger "Fun-Sucker" Goodell, the refs have been prematurely warned to protect him. Why don't they just change it to touch football and give everyone a participation trophy while their at it.