Newton: At times I don't feel protected

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-have-more-missed-roughing-calls-since-2013/

NFL’s position on Cam Newton: 11 quarterbacks have more missed roughing calls since 2013
Posted by Mike Florio on October 31, 2016

619294866-e1477910083520.jpg
Getty Images

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton is right: Officials sometimes miss roughing the passer calls.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton also is incorrect: They don’t miss more roughing the passer calls for him than they do for other quarterbacks.

Per a source with knowledge of the league’s position on the matter, the NFL would contend (and likely will contend, if Newton follows through on his vow to speak to Commissioner Roger Goodell) that, as missed roughing calls go, he’s faring better than plenty of quarterbacks.

From the league’s perspective, the officials have missed three roughing calls on Cam since the start of the 2013 season. (Yes, that seems low.) Eleven other quarterbacks, by the league’s count, have had more missed roughing calls: Case Keenum, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, and Ryan Tannehill.

In the interests of clarity, PFT hasn’t reviewed the film or crushed the numbers or otherwise verified that those 11 quarterbacks have each had more missed roughing calls than Cam. Instead, that’s what the league would say to Cam.

Or, more accurately, what it will say to Cam if/when he shows up at 345 Park Avenue and asks for a meeting with the boss.

…..

Legend
That is the ugliest hat ever. Cam has turned into a whiny punk and yes that was a low hit.

Clearly our only option here is to sack the shit out of him this week. Hoping he calls the commish next week too.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That play was straight up dirty and the guy should be fined for that. Most of what he ends up complaining about is him being outside the pocket and running where by rule he loses protection. But for that play he absolutely has a complaint.

Even then, there have been a few dirty hits ... against the Broncos there were two flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits that went uncalled.

No fan of Cam, but gotta be objective here.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God forbid anything happen to his legs..................... Then he wouldn't be able to do all those different celebration dances he practices all week with his teammates. It's all about the dance for this cat. Again, Jack Youngblood NEVER did a dance.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This does make me think that Cam may get a quick flag thrown on us next week as a potential make up call. So.....

I say we earn the fucking flag.

Sometimes it worth every one of the 15 yards they march off.

Seriously though... I bet his whining about it in the face of the refs like this hurts Cam more than it helps. Sure hope so anyway.

…..

Legend
This does make me think that Cam may get a quick flag thrown on us next week as a potential make up call. So.....

I say we earn the freaking flag.

Sometimes it worth every one of the 15 yards they march off.

Seriously though... I bet his whining about it in the face of the refs like this hurts Cam more than it helps. Sure hope so anyway.

agreed about the earning it part!

I think Cam is a sore loser and a sore victim. But he plays the victim well and those were worth calling out. As usual, his delivery leads something to be desired. He feels highly enough about himself to completely skip over his coach and the competition committee and suggest he'll simply give ol Roger a call. Unreal.

Panthers still suck though.

VilleDeal

UDFA
agreed about the earning it part!

I think Cam is a sore loser and a sore victim. But he plays the victim well and those were worth calling out. As usual, his delivery leads something to be desired. He feels highly enough about himself to completely skip over his coach and the competition committee and suggest he'll simply give ol Roger a call. Unreal.

Panthers still suck though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Cam is right. BUT it's hard to fault the refs when the dude trucks guys on some plays, being so big and powerful as he is. He's a straight beast, and has so much advantage that I think the refs don't have that protection mentality with him.

But yeah, for this next game Williams better have the defense playing straight up. Flags gonna fly if the Rams try to abuse him.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
agreed if they are gonna chuck a flag ....make sure its flag worthy ....

i can see this going two ways ..either our guys are getting flagged if they so much as look as cam in a mean way
or...
the refs might "miss" a few more calls just to pay cam back

i mean i wish it was number two but let face it ..AD will get flagged for shaking cams hand before the game a little too hard

Psycho_X

Legend

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From the league’s perspective, the officials have missed three roughing calls on Cam since the start of the 2013 season. (Yes, that seems low.) Eleven other quarterbacks, by the league’s count, have had more missed roughing calls: Case Keenum, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Andrew Luck, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, and Ryan Tannehill.
They showed a few of those uncalled Case Keenum hits on 'NFL Insiders' today. Brutal. Speared right to the chin once.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
They showed a few of those uncalled Case Keenum hits on 'NFL Insiders' today. Brutal. Speared right to the chin once.

I seen that same thing today. Case needs to be protected. Plenty of hits that should of been flagged and 3 against the Niners if I remember correctly....was watching at work during lunch

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I seen that same thing today. Case needs to be protected. Plenty of hits that should of been flagged and 3 against the Niners if I remember correctly....was watching at work during lunch
He should put on a stupid hat, complain about it, and then ring up Rodger.
I mean, that's the way it's done, it seems.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Expect a lot of flags thrown at our defense this Sunday... We are already perceived as a so called dirty team...