New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Not sure what you mean Blue. I'm not sure we really care if someone trolls another site but if they come in here and do it, they are dealt with pretty swiftly and there is not a matter of allowing some to do it and others not. If you know of this going on, let me know. In our discussions, we often talk about the fact that no one is bigger than the site. Well maybe the people running it....

I think I misread him. I thought he was saying that other poster shouldn't be given a fresh start because they had openly trolled on another forum. I was pointing out there are plenty of posts from members trolling the PD, other team forums, etc, and they are free to post here as well, as long as they don't troll here as well.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I use the same name everywhere ON PURPOSE. I am not hiding anything at all.

I also follow the rules of all boards and do not post items to troll (well, I have trolled once or twice on the crazy RamsTalk page - again, with this same name).

As I stated, my preference is that the Rams come home to where I fell in love with them - but, if they stay in St. Louis then at least they will be building a new stadium so my experience there will be more enjoyable when I go watch MY RAMS play. I will still love them.

One thing that continues to really bother me is how most people I meet in St. Louis do not care one bit about the Rams. Makes me fundamentally sad about the team being there. I spend to see the Rams - travel to 4 or so games a year to various places. So, my opinions are mine based on my experiences. I do appreciate the passionate STL fans I read online.

Fun fact - a pic of the arch is the background on my laptop. I get called out for this all the time in meetings. I associate it with my time there watching the Rams as I took it right after the December game where we beat the Niners in overtime. GREAT day.

Judge me as you wish.

You are dead wrong about most people not caring about the Rams. Gee, some people from LA I've met don't seem to care about the Rams either. Makes me fundamentally sad that they're going back. Nothing like a good blanket statement to kick things off right.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think I misread him. I thought he was saying that other poster shouldn't be given a fresh start because they had openly trolled on another forum. I was pointing out there are plenty of posts from members trolling the PD, other team forums, etc, and they are free to post here as well, as long as they don't troll here as well.
I kinda figured that must be the case. I had one of those "Huh?" type moments. But then it's the internet. THAT never happens.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You are dead wrong about most people not caring about the Rams. Gee, some people from LA I've met don't seem to care about the Rams either. Makes me fundamentally sad that they're going back. Nothing like a good blanket statement to kick things off right.
Yeah - cuts both ways - eh blue4? I know lots of people in the LA area that really couldn't care less if the Rams come back or that they left in the first place. I also know lots that want them back. I grew up with the Rams in LA and went to many games with my dad. It was a huge part of my growing up. But I'll be the first to admit that there are several fair weather fans there just as there are in probably any other city.

I do think there are a lot of people that discount St Louis as some little brother to cities like LA, NY, Chicago, etc... It's like they ALL should worship having an NFL team but that simply isn't reality in ANY city. Many people, even those that show up for games, aren't diehard fans of any team. They may enjoy the games or the sport itself but it's not like St Louis is unique in that - nor is it that St Louis has an inordinate number of these type fans. Frankly, if we were to go on percentages, I would guess that LA has far more of them to go along with a huge population mass.

The LA market is attractive due to sheer numbers. But being a former Angelino, I know most of them don't give two thoughts about the Rams or any other NFL team. All that being said, they care a hell of a lot more about the Rams than any other NFL team - for the most part of course. And they have more in common with St Louis fans than any other fan base in the country.

I would caution anyone from drawing conclusions about a fan base from talking to a few people who really don't care about the team. I would also say that many fans cheer for their home team - NOT a team that happens to be the Rams or Cards or Raiduhs. I cheer for the US in the Olympics because I am an American. Should I cheer for the Germans because that is my ancestry? Fuck that. I'm an American. And I can tell you that even though I grew up as a USC Trojan fan, I live in Oregon, I have an OSU son and a U of O son and I am a Ducks and Beaver fan now and if you asked me about the Trojans, I'd say, "meh. I hope they beat a Big 10 or ACC or SEC teams but I don't really care otherwise.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: It's no fantasy for STL, LA to both win
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_64fcb864-b8f5-509e-8fe6-72f36c71f7df.html

I haven’t participated in Fantasy Football since 1988, when I teamed with Tim Cowlishaw to win the Dallas Morning News League. I should have retired right there. But you’ll have to excuse me for engaging in another round of Fantasy Football.

This time, a rather complicated game features the Rams, St. Louis, Los Angeles, the NFL, another team and the rush to build new stadiums.

As much as we’d like to see this as a linear process — a straight line with owner Stan Kroenke either taking the Rams to LA or staying here — it’s more complex than that.

The natural assumption is that if the NFL is to return to Los Angeles by 2016, the team will be the Rams, Kroenke will still own them and the franchise will play in Kroenke’s planned stadium in Inglewood.

And that very well could happen. But here’s the issue for the NFL and Kroenke: St. Louis stadium task-force leaders Dave Peacock and Bob Blitz aren’t going away.

Peacock-Blitz are working hard in their quest to fund and erect a new NFL stadium for St. Louis. I’m confident in saying their rate of progress on the STL stadium front has exceeded the NFL’s expectations — at least to this stage, anyway.

If the Peacock-Blitz agenda stalls then St. Louis will be out, and Kroenke can cruise into Los Angeles.

For now, this is a race, with Kroenke and partners trying to get their stadium project off the ground before Peacock and Blitz can do the same in St. Louis.

Kroenke has a clear advantage over Peacock and Blitz in that he can do this with his own money.

Suppose the race ends in a virtual tie? What if Peacock-Blitz can complete their mission by the end of the year? Well, that would put the NFL in a jam.

I’m not suggesting that the league would cool on the idea of returning to Los Angeles. Not at all. An NFL team in Los Angeles — soon — seems inevitable. And it makes sense.

Ah, but keep in mind that the NFL is encouraging Blitz and Peackcock to get this done. NFL executive VP Eric Grubman is involved in the process here, having held multiple meetings in St. Louis and working closely with Peacock and Blitz.

If Peacock and Blitz get this done and turn a stadium plan into a reality — after being pushed to do so by the NFL’s second-most powerful executive — then how could the league abandon St. Louis?

Sure, I’m cynical about the NFL’s trustworthiness. But I doubt that even the NFL could be so rotten as to encourage an existing NFL market to build a new stadium, have a league executive participating to make the project a success — and then walk away as Kroenke pulls the Rams out of here.

NFL to St. Louis: To keep your team, you have to build a new stadium. St. Louis: OK, we’ll do it ... again. For the second time in 25 years, we will build a new NFL stadium. NFL: Great. Because as we always say when asked — we want to do whatever is possible to help our teams be successful in their current markets. We don’t want our teams to move. So we’ll help you get it done in St. Louis. And we’ll even send our point man, Grubman, to assist in the effort. You have our support. Now get to work. St. Louis: It’s been a few months, and it was a difficult job, but the STL stadium is definitely a go. The funding is in place. We’ll be able to break ground soon. We did exactly what you asked of us. NFL: Oh yeah? (Laughter). Kroenke is hauling the Rams to Los Angeles, and you won’t have a team. It’s over. St. Louis: Wait a minute. You said to build a new stadium. We’re going to do it — even though we’re still paying off the first stadium. They aren’t building a new stadium for the Chargers in San Diego, and the Chargers have been trying to get a new venue for about 15 years. They aren’t building a new stadium for the Raiders in Oakland — and the Raiders unquestionably have the worst stadium situation in the NFL. So why are WE losing our NFL franchise? This is insane. Not to mention unethical, unfair and cruel.

And I don’t believe it will happen.

I don’t believe the NFL would bail on St. Louis if the city accepts the league’s challenge and delivers on a new venue.

Grubman recently gave an interview to the Los Angeles Daily News and made this comment: “I place no higher priority in my mission statement, to creating a viable, approvable plan in Los Angeles and creating a viable plan in St. Louis. If you think an impossible scenario is created by creating a terrific plan in Market One and a terrific plan in Los Angeles — and that’s a really hard decision for owners — that’s exactly what I want. That is my job.”

This situation has a chance to get really, really interesting.

You may ask: If Kroenke is determined to have his team play in his proposed Los Angeles stadium, and if Peacock and Blitz successfully secure funding for a new stadium in St. Louis, then how does the league accommodate both parties?

That’s where the Fantasy Football kicks in.

It can be done. I’m not saying it will be easy ... but it can get done. There is so much floating around out there right now. Enough conspiracy theories to make Oliver Stone’s head hurt.

And it has nothing to do with giving Kroenke an expansion team in Los Angeles, or Shad Khan moving the Jacksonville Jaguars to St. Louis. Neither possibility is on the table. And won’t be anytime soon.

It’s best to focus on more plausible scenarios:

1. Kroenke buys the controlling 47 percent share of the Raiders owned by Mark Davis and his mother. Kroenke sells the Rams. The Rams remain in St. Louis. Kroenke moves the Raiders back to Los Angeles.

2. The NFL gives Kroenke the go-ahead signal to Los Angeles. The league directs Davis and the Raiders to St. Louis.

If the stadium race between Kroenke/LA and St. Louis ends in a tie, it’s entirely possible for both sides to win.

Again, this is Fantasy Football. Normally I’d laugh at this kind of stuff — but not this time.

If Peacock and Blitz complete their stadium mission, then multiple options will likely be in play.

And some of those options may seem crazy to you. But it’s not as much of a fantasy as you’d think.

Walter

Rookie
If Peacock and Blitz are able to secure financing, this seems like a very viable solution. Keeping a team in St. Louis, a team in L.A. and still having the 49ers in the bay area market maximizes the television markets. Not sure how San Diego fits in this equation. I am definitely praying that Peacock and Blitz can obtain the financing. This would be an incredible project that not only secures the NFL in St. Louis, but also revamps a much needed downtown area. This would tie in great with the new bridge and the Arch project.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Peacock and Blitz are able to secure financing, this seems like a very viable solution. Keeping a team in St. Louis, a team in L.A. and still having the 49ers in the bay area market maximizes the television markets. Not sure how San Diego fits in this equation. I am definitely praying that Peacock and Blitz can obtain the financing. This would be an incredible project that not only secures the NFL in St. Louis, but also revamps a much needed downtown area. This would tie in great with the new bridge and the Arch project.
Key #1 to "securing financing" though would, I think, be a plan that does not require that the NFL team kick in hundreds of millions of dollars.

If a new team comes in, they might be willing to contribute financing. Stan isn't going to because he has his own plan.

Walter

Rookie
Key #1 to "securing financing" though would, I think, be a plan that does not require that the NFL team kick in hundreds of millions of dollars.

If a new team comes in, they might be willing to contribute financing. Stan isn't going to because he has his own plan.
That is one thing I have been thinking. It sounds like the Peacock plan requires a couple million from the team in addition to the G-4 loan. Without a team in place I am not sure that they get the G-4 loan. Maybe the Raiders would as a condition of the sale. Bottom line is that I am praying that they can somehow finance this project. It seems like they have some momentum going with Grubman and the Governor heavily involved. He is right in saying that the downtown area will look the same 10 years from now if this project fails.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
It's worth mentioning that today is the deadline for announcing relocation for 2015. While it was extremely likely the Rams wouldn't apply for this year given Goodell's edict, today makes it official.

Not sure why the deadline was on a Sunday, but there you go.

It seems the NFL is very committed to at least the appearance of "doing this right".

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond

Exactly. STL is not building a stadium. They are helping fund a stadium. Stan and the NFL have to fund the remaining 60%. Bernie left that part out in his article lol

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Exactly. STL is not building a stadium. They are helping fund a stadium. Stan and the NFL have to fund the remaining 60%. Bernie left that part out in his article lol

He also left out that the NFL's point man is also working on a deal in LA, so that doesn't mean much. The idea that Stan is going to sell the Rams and buy another team seems silly to me as well. Fantasy indeed.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
He also left out that the NFL's point man is also working on a deal in LA, so that doesn't mean much. The idea that Stan is going to sell the Rams and buy another team seems silly to me as well. Fantasy indeed.
The only way that would seem to be a possibility would be if it was about keeping a team's history in place while allowing a move (IE kinda sorta what happened with the Browns and Ravens).

But Stan essentially trading down to a worse team that would end up distrusted in L.A. (the "you already jilted us to be with your ex once" factor) rather than bring his current team which has a ton of history in L.A. and would be welcomed back with open arms?

It'd make a lot more sense to just let the Rams move and bring in the St. Louis Raiders.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The only way that would seem to be a possibility would be if it was about keeping a team's history in place while allowing a move (IE kinda sorta what happened with the Browns and Ravens).

But Stan essentially trading down to a worse team that would end up distrusted in L.A. (the "you already jilted us to be with your ex once" factor) rather than bring his current team which has a ton of history in L.A. and would be welcomed back with open arms?

It'd make a lot more sense to just let the Rams move and bring in the St. Louis Raiders.

It would have made more sense to let Khan buy the Rams and him buy the Raiders, but hey. It's just an entire city being bent over for money he doesn't need or is even going to notice.

Aaaand deep breath.....back to even keel once again. You gotta let these thing out once a week or so.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Last I heard a lot of city council members didn't want the Raiders as well. While LA isn't naming teams, I'm certain Mayor Butts has spoken to Stan about moving and will tell the Inglewood city council members this. I know he says he hasn't discussed it, but its politics, they're not going to do this without knowing a team is coming. If they were to change to the Raiders, if councils really are nervous about that, they may change their tune.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
It would have made more sense to let Khan buy the Rams and him buy the Raiders, but hey. It's just an entire city being bent over for money he doesn't need or is even going to notice.

Aaaand deep breath.....back to even keel once again. You gotta let these thing out once a week or so.
Would have made sense to have an expansion team in 95 but that didn't happen so Stan bought in to get an NFL team on his resume! He knew what he had when he signed on as a co-owner. Never made sense that any owner not pay for his own stadium to me!

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Khan is great owner. London agrees. The trend for the Jaguars is that they keep on playing in London. They are building a strong fan base there. When their lease ends in the future they will be a likely candidate to relocate to London. The NFL numerous times on record has said that they want a team in London. Stan does not like money anymore then Khan does. The perception is that Khan is such a great owner and he's commited to Jacksonville. Idk about that.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
Could Kroenke sell Rams, buy and move Raiders?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 15, 2015, 1:07 PM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/15/could-kroenke-sell-rams-buy-and-move-raiders/

From time to time in this business, members of the media are told something but asked to present that something not as a “report,” but as their own idea. It gives the member of the media a chance to appear prescient and ahead of the curve, and it gives the source a way to float a trial balloon, or to at least ensure that if/when that something occurs, it won’t be appearing completely out of nowhere.

A theory advanced by Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch regarding the future of the NFL in St. Louis and Los Angeles feels like one of those “here’s what could happen, but present this as your own idea” moments.

Miklasz speculates that Rams owner Stan Kroenke could sell the team to someone who would keep it in a new St. Louis stadium, buy the Raiders from Mark Davis, and move the Raiders to Los Angeles. Alternatively, Miklasz suggests that the NFL will allow Kroenke to move the Rams to Los Angeles, and that the NFL would then nudge the Raiders to St. Louis.

The latter option seems to be more likely, since Davis has shown no inclination to sell the Raiders. But Oakland doesn’t seem like a viable long-term home for the team. If Los Angeles isn’t an option, why not move to the new stadium that Missouri currently is scrambling to propose to the Rams?

“Normally I’d laugh at this kind of stuff — but not this time,” Miklasz writes of the two possible scenarios. “If [Dave] Peacock and [Bob] Blitz complete their stadium mission, then multiple options will likely be in play. And some of those options may seem crazy to you. But it’s not as much of a fantasy as you’d think.”

In other words, someone has told Miklasz what may happen, but that someone has told Miklasz to present it as his own idea. And Miklasz has dropped enough of a hint to suggest that this is something more informed that spitballing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's an interesting thought. With an unheard of tool in your tool chest that is the top 25% clause, do you think Khan really just nice guys his way through the negotiations? I don't.

y2joey

UDFA
A Mark Davis owned Rams team sounds like the worst thing I've ever heard. You thought 1989-today was some inept years, just wait til you see the Davis owned Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.