New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Yeah, that's their job though, they need to keep everyone happy to make money. If they felt that Stan wasn't doing enough yet, I think we would hear about it. Right now all we've seen about that is the commissioner saying he felt Stan was doing a good job and has been for a while.
Stan is the only ticket to LA. The Chargers could have moved in 15 years and they didn't. The Raiders don't have enough money and Mark Davis looks like Lloyd from dumb and dumber, they would never let that guy run a team alone in LA. So there is no other team right now that has a lease that's expired. Stan has more money then those 2 teams combined and then some. Big bank take little bank. Business 101 my friend. Jerry Jones said someone needs to pull the trigger and take the risk and move to LA. Stan seems to be that guy.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yeah, that's their job though, they need to keep everyone happy to make money. If they felt that Stan wasn't doing enough yet, I think we would hear about it. Right now all we've seen about that is the commissioner saying he felt Stan was doing a good job and has been for a while.

I doubt they would ever say anything negative about an owner this early in the process. They're pleased with Stan, they're pleased with St Louis, they aren’t going negative this early on anything. As for the notion Goodell has about Kroenke working for a while on a stadium here? I don't think demanding a 700 million dollar remodel constitutes "working." Working implies dialogue, give and take, answering the phone, acting remotely interested, not doing fan appreciation stuff in other cities. Right now the NFL indicates whatever the reporters want to hear. Throwing everyone a bone.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Stan is the only ticket to LA. The Chargers could have moved in 15 years and they didn't. The Raiders don't have enough money and Mark Davis looks like Lloyd from dumb and dumber, they would let that guy run a team alone in LA. So there is no other team right now that has a lease that's expired. Stan has more money then those 2 teams combined and then some. Big bank take little bank. Business 101 my friend. Jerry Jones said someone needs to pull the trigger and take the risk and move to LA. Stan seems to be that guy.

Does business 101 really apply to the NFL? If it did, there would be about 6 teams. And commercials on TV for each individual team.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I really don't see the Raiders moving back to L.A. If only because they already came to L.A. once then moved back to Oakland. If we use the metaphor of comparing a girlfriend to one's sports team, then the Raiders are that girl who dumped you to be with her ex... now she's left him again and is making moves towards you again. You can't trust her. She's a skank ho.

I just hope they don't do anything really silly to solve this pickle like have Davis and Kroenke swap teams with the current Oakland Raiders becoming the new Los Angeles Rams, and the current St. Louis Rams becoming the new St. Louis Raiders. The odds are extraordinarly low of such shenanigans... but... ugh. I think that would make both St. Louis and Los Angeles fans throw up in their mouths a little.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I really don't see the Raiders moving back to L.A. If only because they already came to L.A. once then moved back to Oakland. If we use the metaphor of comparing a girlfriend to one's sports team, then the Raiders are that girl who dumped you to be with her ex... now she's left him again and is making moves towards you again. You can't trust her. She's a skank ho.

I just hope they don't do anything really silly to solve this pickle like have Davis and Kroenke swap teams with the current Oakland Raiders becoming the new Los Angeles Rams, and the current St. Louis Rams becoming the new St. Louis Raiders. The odds are extraordinarly low of such shenanigans... but... ugh. I think that would make both St. Louis and Los Angeles fans throw up in their mouths a little.

At this point, just give me a team so I can go back to being a football fan and not a political and economic analyst.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
At this point, just give me a team so I can go back to being a football fan and not a political and economic analyst.
I wouldn't go THAT far... they might give you the Patriots or the Niners... ;)

bluecoconuts

Legend
I doubt they would ever say anything negative about an owner this early in the process. They're pleased with Stan, they're pleased with St Louis, they aren’t going negative this early on anything. As for the notion Goodell has about Kroenke working for a while on a stadium here? I don't think demanding a 700 million dollar remodel constitutes "working." Working implies dialogue, give and take, answering the phone, acting remotely interested, not doing fan appreciation stuff in other cities. Right now the NFL indicates whatever the reporters want to hear. Throwing everyone a bone.

They wouldn't need to bash Kroenke or anything, just say "We believe there still needs to be some work done, etc etc etc." or something similar. If they were posturing to deny I think they would say something to those lines, maybe not though. Right now when they say that they're satisfied with efforts thus far, it seems they're posturing to give yes votes. Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to tell with them, that was just my impression during the Super Bowl questions. Kroenke has been talking to them though, and there has been some back and fourth. Rams made an offer, St. Louis said no, a judge said the Rams were "right", then a year later St Louis made an offer, and the Rams haven't said anything as of yet. If they plan on countering then they'll counter, if they don't counter, then that's a no. During negotiations you don't have to pretend to be interested, if you're not your not. If I walk into a Dodge dealership and ask for a Viper, and they say no, then offer me a Dart, I don't have to pretend like that's what I want. I think as fans there's all things we want to see or don't see, but ultimately it's whatever the NFL says, they've already given themselves some wiggle room.

RedAlice

UDFA
Name
Alice
Stan is the only ticket to LA. The Chargers could have moved in 15 years and they didn't. The Raiders don't have enough money and Mark Davis looks like Lloyd from dumb and dumber, they would never let that guy run a team alone in LA. So there is no other team right now that has a lease that's expired. Stan has more money then those 2 teams combined and then some. Big bank take little bank. Business 101 my friend. Jerry Jones said someone needs to pull the trigger and take the risk and move to LA. Stan seems to be that guy.

LA won't happen without an owner doing exactly that. And Kroenke has the backing of the owners who want this to happen. More than the backing - the encouragement.

Neither Spanos (considered weak by many other owners) nor Davis can do this.

Based on the tax debt of 2.7 million to San Diego made public today re: Petco Park, SD is not going to get a stadium built on any amount of tax dollars no matter how many committees Faulconer puts together or how much he agrees Chargers are cool for San Diego. Spanos does not have the ability to fund a stadium himself.

Spanos options would now seem to be:

1. play at Qualcomm and complain that others want the LA market while he does nothing pro-active to get there (yah, that will go over well with other owners),
2. piggy-back on Kroenke in LA as the second tenant,
3. make a move to sell part of his team to someone else who can build a stadium in LA, or
4. find another city willing to give up tax dollars just like San Diego did for the Padres (ie.: STL).

Davis is just broke.

So, of the options into LA -unless someone is selling part of their team to an unknown investor who will match or bettor what Kroenke is already doing: how else does the NFL get a stadium built there?

Honestly, as much as I would love the Rams to be back to where I fell in love with them - I am so tired of this. Wish they would just tell us and we can know and stop with the wondering. I am losing all respect for Goodell and his "method" of running the NFL. I hope congress does challenge him.

I am also much more upset by Fisher's press conference w the new OC than I am about any of this. No matter where they are playing: we are going to watch this team play and root for them. Feels like a lot more of groundhog day again this year.

ETA: I thought our location was in our username info. Since it's not - I live in San Diego.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
They wouldn't need to bash Kroenke or anything, just say "We believe there still needs to be some work done, etc etc etc." or something similar. If they were posturing to deny I think they would say something to those lines, maybe not though. Right now when they say that they're satisfied with efforts thus far, it seems they're posturing to give yes votes. Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to tell with them, that was just my impression during the Super Bowl questions. Kroenke has been talking to them though, and there has been some back and fourth. Rams made an offer, St. Louis said no, a judge said the Rams were "right", then a year later St Louis made an offer, and the Rams haven't said anything as of yet. If they plan on countering then they'll counter, if they don't counter, then that's a no. During negotiations you don't have to pretend to be interested, if you're not your not. If I walk into a Dodge dealership and ask for a Viper, and they say no, then offer me a Dart, I don't have to pretend like that's what I want. I think as fans there's all things we want to see or don't see, but ultimately it's whatever the NFL says, they've already given themselves some wiggle room.

Isn't that what I was saying all along, that the NFL is giving themselves wiggle room and that all their statements are designed to placate both parties? I don't understand what's different here. They are not going to piss off the second richest owner this early in the process.

Also, can we all (myself included) stop comparing the NFL to the real world? Nothing that goes on there is similar to the challenges of an actual real business, or even a real union. When you go in to buy a viper, it's just you. You aren't dealing with car purchasing by law's, or 31 other people. You don't have to prove the Dart was a failure to buy the Viper. The Subway analogies don't work, either. There simply isn't another non pro sports entity like it in American business.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
LA won't happen without an owner doing exactly that. And Kroenke has the backing of the owners who want this to happen. More than the backing - the encouragement.

Neither Spanos (considered weak by many other owners) nor Davis can do this.

Based on the tax debt of 2.7 million to San Diego made public today re: Petco Park, SD is not going to get a stadium built on any amount of tax dollars no matter how many committees Faulconer puts together or how much he agrees Chargers are cool for San Diego. Spanos does not have the ability to fund a stadium himself.

Spanos options would now seem to be:

1. play at Qualcomm and complain that others want the LA market while he does nothing pro-active to get there (yah, that will go over well with other owners),
2. piggy-back on Kroenke in LA as the second tenant,
3. make a move to sell part of his team to someone else who can build a stadium in LA, or
4. find another city willing to give up tax dollars just like San Diego did for the Padres (ie.: STL).

Davis is just broke.

So, of the options into LA -unless someone is selling part of their team to an unknown investor who will match or bettor what Kroenke is already doing: how else does the NFL get a stadium built there?

Honestly, as much as I would love the Rams to be back to where I fell in love with them - I am so tired of this. Wish they would just tell us and we can know and stop with the wondering. I am losing all respect for Goodell and his "method" of running the NFL. I hope congress does challenge him.

I am also much more upset by Fisher's press conference w the new OC than I am about any of this. No matter where they are playing: we are going to watch this team play and root for them. Feels like a lot more of groundhog day again this year.

ETA: I thought our location was in our username info. Since it's not - I live in San Diego.

Aren't you a frequent poster on a Seahawks message board who has had some very choice words about St. Louis fans in the past?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
There are 3 other ways that the Raiders or Chargers could move to LA.

1. Sell 35% of your team to AEG and move to downtown LA. Which AEG will own the stadium. Those teams would just be tenants.

2. Mark Davis and Spanos go 50/50 and build their own stadium. Similar to what the Giants and Jets did with Met Life Stadium

3. Or they can kiss Stans ass and become the 2nd tenant in the Inglewood stadium.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There are 3 other ways that the Raiders or Chargers could move to LA.

1. Sell 35% of your team to AEG and move to downtown LA. Which AEG will own the stadium. Those teams would just be tenants.

2. Mark Davis and Spanos go 50/50 and build their own stadium. Similar to what the Giants and Jets did with Met Life Stadium

3. Or they can kiss Stans ass and become the 2nd tenant in the Inglewood stadium.

My guess is Spanos does #3, and Davis moves somewhere else.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Aren't you a frequent poster on a Seahawks message board who has had some very choice words about St. Louis fans in the past?
Yep, she sure is. She had some very not so nice things to say about the St. Louis fans over there and the city of St. Louis ("that hell hole in the midwest" is what she called it, I think). I believe there was a topic about her over here during the season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Forget LA/STL, bring them to Oklahoma. Got a helluva lot of land for a stadium.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Forget LA/STL, bring them to Oklahoma. Got a helluva lot of land for a stadium.

They could move here in Merced. The local high school has a nice stadium. Holds almost 5 thousand. At least they would sell out every week.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Again this doesn't answer the question of whether the Rams are staying or going but it is an honest answer. It's a more detailed way of saying... We do't know. The situation is just more nuanced than we would like right now.
Yeah - the point being that we pretty much knew all that before the interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.