New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In keeping with the whole back and forth on the stadium front - Peacock, who I believe is the one that revealed the extra $100 million from the NFL is saying that the extra money is not a done deal. If anyone has something from the NFL saying the $100 million is forth coming and by what criteria, I would appreciate them sending me the article. Anyway, here is an article by Kaplan that has Peacock saying the money is not guaranteed. Thanks to @OldSchool for the Kaplan article.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1so1oss

RamBill

Legend
Is this it for Rams?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_bee7f539-b38f-5970-ac0b-0e9cbf83c881.html

There have been 207 Rams games played in the Edward Jones Dome — playoffs, regular season, and preseason.

Isaac Bruce was there for the first one in 1995, a 28-17 victory over the expansion Carolina Panthers.

“We played the entire preseason on the road that year,” Bruce recalled. “I believe the first regular-season game (Green Bay) was on the road. And then we finally had a couple of home games in Busch Stadium.”

Four to be exact. But then, on Nov. 12 of ’95, what was then called the Trans World Dome opened for business.

“I was so excited about being in the dome because the threat of the cold weather was something I was not looking forward to ever since moving from LA,” Bruce said. “And I believe that day we may have had snow flurries if I’m not mistaken or some kind of sleet, freezing rain.”

It was in fact a chilly 42 degrees at kickoff that day, but in the climate-controlled dome Bruce caught nine passes for 110 yards and a touchdown.

“Just the christening of the dome was special,” Bruce said.

Offensive tackle Jackie Slater, known as the Eternal Ram because of his amazing longevity, made a ceremonial start that day in what was his 20th NFL season. He played only a series because of a severe elbow injury. He was carried off the field following the game, no mean feat considering his size. And never played again.

D’Marco Farr was there that day, too. Early in the fourth quarter, he had a strip sack of Panthers quarterback Kerry Collins. Defensive back Torin Dorn scooped up the fumble and raced 26 yards for a victory-clinching TD.

“And Torin Dorn had a baby that day,” Farr said. “That was one of the coolest memories of my life.”

A couple of things stuck out about those early years in the dome:

• How hard the original surface was.

• And how loud the crowd was.

“The turf was brand new,” Farr said. “It was rock-hard. The old AstroTurf, I mean, literally it would tear your skin right up. The shower after the game, everybody was screaming.”

To this day, Bruce says he still has scars and bruises from turf burns from long ago.

“My daughter, she asks me about them every now and then,” he said. “How did I get this, how did I get that bruise.”

The noise and adoration that showered down from the stands more than made up for the burns.

“I thought Busch Stadium was loud,” Bruce said, laughing. “That new one was pretty loud. I think just the way that noise hit the roof and came back down. Just being in the stadium and hearing the noise the crowd made. And they were cheering for us.”

During the Greatest Show on Turf years, there wasn’t a louder place in the NFL. The team would take the field to the sounds of Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir,” and you could almost see the knees buckling by opposing defensive backs — bracing for the near-impossible task awaiting.

But that glory is fleeting. That moment in time passed. Coaches came and went. There were more losses than victories. The chants of “Bruuuuuce!” are now replaced by “Gurley! Gurley! Gurley!”

Game No. 208 in the building comes tonight against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If owner Stan Kroenke has his way, it will be the last game the Rams play in the dome. And in St. Louis. He wants to move the team to Los Angeles in 2016.

With only two road games remaining after tonight — at Seattle Dec. 27 and at San Francisco Jan. 3 — this could be it. There have been encouraging signs on the relocation front, and progress has been made in the financing of the proposed St. Louis stadium. But there are no guarantees. No one knows for sure.

Certainly not Adam Timmerman. An anchor of those Greatest Show offensive lines along with Orlando Pace, Timmerman made it a point to get to Sunday’s contest against Detroit. You know, just in case.

“That’s kind of why we got the whole family down here,” Timmerman said, standing on the floor of the dome with his family after the 21-14 Rams win over the Lions. “Thursday’s gonna be tougher to make with school and everything going on.”

So he loaded up the family in the small airplane he owns, and flew down from Cherokee, Iowa, for Sunday’s game. You know, just in case.

“I hope they stay for my own selfish reasons and that,” Timmerman said. “But you never know how it’s gonna go down. I’ve heard a lot of rumors. I think it’s all rumors at this point.

“But anyway, we hope the Rams stay. I’m sure the fans are hoping that, too. It’s been kind of a long season. I think people probably just want to get it settled — are they staying or going? It’ll definitely be sad if they don’t stay.”

Farr feels the same way.

“I’m lighting a candle,” said Farr, now a local radio personality and a game analyst for Rams radio broadcasts. “To go from LA to Busch Stadium to here. It was packed when we showed up in ’95, and then we weren’t very good — and you know — you start hearing boos at home.

“To the Greatest Show on Turf era to where it was the loudest place on the planet. To now. I can’t believe it’s the same place. I really can’t.”

The Rams lost about 10,000 season-ticket holders between 2014 and 2015 when Kroenke’s plans became clear. So there will be thousands of empty seats for Thursday night’s potential farewell.

And once again, the product on the field has fallen short of expectations. At 5-8, the Rams are assured of their 12th consecutive nonwinning season.

“Honestly, I was looking for more out of this season with the team,” Bruce said. “I was looking to be probably hosting a playoff game this year. I was really thinking that. There’s been some bright spots, but I just think overall we underachieved this year.”

Bruce keeps up with the relocation news, and on that front he has been encouraged by recent developments. There is a whole generation of young adults in St. Louis who grew up watching the Greatest Show and the Super Bowl XXXIV champions, Bruce said, and it would be a shame if that were taken away.

“Considering where they are and what we’ve been going through these last 12 seasons, just those memories that we had,” Bruce said. “I think it really touched, made a huge impact, in St. Louis.”

The glass is always half full with Bruce, so he’s hoping for the best on the stadium plan.

“One way or another, we’re gonna have the last game in that dome,” Bruce said. “Hopefully, I’m around to give it one last kiss before we do anything with it.”

Ideally, Bruce said he plans to come back to christen a new stadium in a few years.

“Without a doubt,” he said. “I’ll be the first one on the flight.”[/u]

RamBill

Legend
Rams fans left to wonder if this will be last ever NFL game in St. Louis
• By Jeremy Kohler

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_887b436a-d0a9-50f7-8273-7194c6c2436d.html

Terry Dougherty has pretty much the best Rams tickets money can buy, in the Budweiser Signature Club on the south side of the Edward Jones Dome, with a private elevator from his seats to the field and all you can eat and drink. Even a massage.

He posted four of them Sunday on Craigslist at $450 apiece.

“Maybe the LAST GAME EVERRRR,” he wrote. “GO VIP ALL THE WAY!!!”

St. Louis was so not feeling him.

With the future of football in St. Louis anything but secure, tickets for Thursday night’s game versus Tampa Bay were going as cheap as $9 online before Sunday’s win against Detroit snapped the Rams’ five-game losing streak.

With the Rams’ playoff chances on life support, interest rebounded somewhat. The cheapest seats were hovering around $40 on Wednesday. By comparison, the lowest price for the Rams-Seahawks game in Seattle the following week were about $225.

“Having the best seats, you’d think you have people tripping over you to try to go to the game with you,” said Dougherty, president and chief executive officer of Appleton Medical Supplies in St. Charles. “I try to sell them online, a $450 face value ticket, and I’m lucky to get a few people locally who will pay $50 or $100 for them.”

Still, it could be the last chance to see pro football in St. Louis, to toast a time when this town was the center of the football universe. One more night to bask in memories of Kurt and Brenda and that love; Marshall and those legs; Isaac and Torry and those hands; Georgia and those scarves; Dick and those tears.

“I think the most disappointing thing for me as a fan is what could have been possible,” Dougherty said. As he spoke, he gazed over the sports memorabilia in his office, which includes jerseys and helmets signed by James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree, Sam Bradford and others.

“They even have two pool tables in that suite,” he said. “The way they’ve played this year, it’s been a nice little diversion so we could have something to do at a Rams game.”

The possibility of Thursday’s game being the last to be played in St. Louis was just starting to sink in with fans shopping for sports apparel at the St. Louis Galleria.

Rams hats and T-shirts remained at full price at the Lids and Fanzz stores; employees said they noticed no drop-off in demand.

William Jeffries, 41, of St. Louis, a Call-A-Ride driver for Metro, was browsing the Rams T-shirts.

“Let’s hope tomorrow’s not their last game,” he said. “I wouldn’t want them to leave. Because then what would we do on Sundays?”

Lawrence and Tanisha Roberts, of Ferguson, stopped in at Fanzz, settled on matching Rams baseball-style caps, and walked to the counter to check out.

“I’m hoping that they stay,” said Lawrence Roberts, 29. He’s betting the NFL picks the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers to share a stadium in Los Angeles and makes the Rams stay in St. Louis. “Best outcome is (team owner Stan) Kroenke just sells the team to investors.

“Thirty-one other owners can have something invested into their community, but you rarely ever see Stan Kroenke interact with the fans or have anything to do with the fans whatsoever. You never see Stan on the sidelines and you never see Stan in the stands.

“Even when they go bad, we’re still behind them.”

What about the prospect of another NFL franchise moving to St. Louis?

“I would miss the Rams because I have all this Rams apparel,” said Kim Panosh, 27, of Troy, Mo., shopping for Rams and Cardinals caps. “I have a Rams jersey with my name on the back that cost $100.”

If the team leaves, what will she do?

“There’s always Mizzou,” she said.

For longtime St. Louis football fans, this week is shaping up like the final home game for the football Cardinals in 1987. At 5-7, Big Red was clinging to a slim chance of making the playoffs, and the team’s owner, Bill Bidwill, was preparing to move the team to Phoenix.

The Cardinals beat the New York Giants 27-24 on Dec. 13, 1987. None of the players or fans who left Busch Stadium that day knew if they would ever return.

Turned out, they wouldn’t. At least, not for football.

Big Red fan Robert Kaintz wrote an open letter of heartbreak to Bidwill, and it was published in the sports pages of the Post-Dispatch.

“I have attended every Cardinals home game for the past 14 years,” he wrote. “Many of our family traditions have grown around Big Red games. … I know I’ll never again make the emotional investment in a sports team like I made in the Cardinals.”

But did he?

“I would say no,” Kaintz, a retired lawyer, said Wednesday. “I haven’t made any financial investment. I didn’t buy a seat license. I don’t really like the games indoors.”

He did go to Super Bowl XXXIV in Atlanta, in 2000, where the Mike Jones tackle of Tennessee’s Kevin Dyson saved the game.

Big Red leaving felt like being dumped by your first girlfriend, Kaintz said. The Rams leaving town wouldn’t hurt as much.

Hugh H. Fitz, of Godfrey, wrote a letter published in the Post-Dispatch sports pages that fall to say it wasn’t the end of the world.

“Now that Bill Bidwill seems to have decided to move the football Cardinals elsewhere, the critics are complaining that St. Louis will no longer be a major-league city and that the quality of life will be rated negatively,” he wrote. “A city is neither made nor broken by its professional sports franchises — except by those few who evaluate all of life by football or baseball scores.”

On Wednesday, Fitz, who now lives in Mascoutah, said he was “a little sad” about the prospect of losing a second team in his lifetime. “But I still agree with myself 100 percent.

“I see a bigger concern in our area with corporate headquarters not being around and the job creating that comes with that. If I was going to spend a billion dollars or even half a billion on improving quality of life, building a stadium wouldn’t do much for that.”

BeachRam78

Rookie
Name
john
Well that was a depressing read :( All we can do is hope that this isn't it for our Rams in St Louis. Let's have a strong showing against the Bucs and take care of business.

FRO

Legend
I hope we can keep the team. It will be really sad once tonight's game is over because there is a strong possibility that there will never be another NFL game in our city. The potential this city has for football is unreal.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I hope we can keep the team. It will be really sad once tonight's game is over because there is a strong possibility that there will never be another NFL game in our city. The potential this city has for football is unreal.

I can't even watch it. I have to work during and after all thru the night. No more sick/vacation days until Jan 1st 2016. I'm absolutely disgusted that after bleeding blue for twenty years I may be missing the last game. And it's a fucking bullshit Thursday game, so I wouldn't even have the Sunday gathering if I didn't have to work.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's very sad that the only reason this is happening is because of money and greed. The fact that Stan is perfectly fine with lining is pockets and abandoning his hometown is nothing short of a tragedy. Nonetheless, I'll be a Rams fan forever and ever. But I'll continue to call them St.Louis, because that's what they'll always be to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's very sad that the only reason this is happening is because of money and greed. The fact that Stan is perfectly fine with lining is pockets and abandoning his hometown is nothing short of a tragedy. Nonetheless, I'll be a Rams fan forever and ever. But I'll continue to call them St.Louis, because that's what they'll always be to me.
I tried this after the move to the Midwest. Actually was done with them....that lasted till I caught a couple of minutes of a preseason game. Sucked back in. But, I wouldn't say St. Louis or buy anything with St. Louis on it. That lasted a season or two, then, you just move on. You're still a fan of the team. If they do move my regret will never be making it to St. Louis to see them play.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Relocation of a sports team is an alien concept to us Brits. Its only happened to one soccer team here in England (as far as I'm aware) and that was roundly criticised by virtually everyone. I have nothing but sympathy for my Ram brothers in StL having to deal with the uncertainty.

FRO

Legend
This pain all stems from the NFL awarding the expansion team to Jacksonville over St Louis. That was a botched move. Although I'm very happy we have the Rams and I hope we get to keep them. On the other hand I do feel for LA fans that want a team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is what the Last Game in L.A. Looked Like!

Newman3.jpg

" Football will go on no matter what happens!!"

Stel

Starter
I thought there was a specific thread for all this crap so this forum wouldn't go the way of that other forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.