New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This won't be a popular opinion around here, but I don't think Kroenke is going to be stopped, even by a non-vote on the part of the owners.

The move to LA will triple the value of his team. What would a rich guy do for that much money? Just about anything.

The NFL can leverage most owners by withholding the $250 million grant for the stadium. But in Stan's case and LA in particular the value increase on the team more than compensates for paying out of pocket in the event him and the league are at odds.

Translation for STL fans is stopping the Rams is probably impossible. But there is a good side to showing strong attendance and that is the NFL will ensure you get a replacement team given the stadium progress and push. I understand this thing has a ways to go, but I just think when push comes to shove we are talking about stopping a billionaire from doing what he wants, which is adding significant value to his holdings.

And that is like standing in front of a rolling freight train, IMO. The press just hasn't fully realized that yet.

Lets say Stan did just buck the NFL and go without their approval. What would stop the NFL from just leaving the Rams out of their schedule? From just skipping what would have been their pick in the draft? Do the Rams have some 'right' to be a part of the NFL?

MrMotes

Starter
Lets say Stan did just buck the NFL and go without their approval. What would stop the NFL from just leaving the Rams out of their schedule? From just skipping what would have been their pick in the draft? Do the Rams have some 'right' to be a part of the NFL?

I'm pretty sure that would be for the courts to decide and nobody in the NFL really wants to find out. Last time it happened, the courts sided with Al Davis.

But i have a hard time seeing it come to that. My best guess: SK gets what he wants and they all find a way to make Spanos and Davis relatively happy too. When it's all said it done i doubt there'll be any clear losers among the owners...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm pretty sure that would be for the courts to decide and nobody in the NFL really wants to find out. Last time it happened, the courts sided with Al Davis.

But i have a hard time seeing it come to that. My best guess: SK gets what he wants and they all find a way to make Spanos and Davis relatively happy too. When it's all said it done i doubt there'll be any clear losers among the owners...

I'm not sure if the NFL threatened to pull the Raiders out of the league when Davis made his move - but I really don't know. And it may not be a viable threat in this situation either.

Surely, Stan's lawyers will have anticipated every conceivable reaction by the NFL and the NFL's lawyers will have anticipated every possible move Kroenke, Spanos, and Davis can make.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on billionaire poker - too much can happen. It sure is interesting to watch it all play out though.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Money. They'd lose a lot of it, far more than they would lose by fighting Stan and losing, or losing out on St Louis as a market.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Money. They'd lose a lot of it, far more than they would lose by fighting Stan and losing, or losing out on St Louis as a market.

Why would they lose so much money?

Seems to me thats one less piece of the pie to share on the TV money - and thats where the bulk of the revenue comes from. Same reason they don't favor expansion. Unless you think the networks aren't going to want to pay as much to air NFL games unless the Rams are part of the league.

A55VA6

Legend
I really don't keep up with all this stuff too much, so I'm just curious..

Based off what you know, what side seems to be "In the lead" for the Rams right now, STL or LA? Or is it truly a toss up, 50-50?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Why would they lose so much money?

Seems to me thats one less piece of the pie to share on the TV money - and thats where the bulk of the revenue comes from. Same reason they don't favor expansion. Unless you think the networks aren't going to want to pay as much to air NFL games unless the Rams are part of the league.

31 teams is less valuable than 32 teams. Plus they lose out on the LA market then, plus it's a huge PR disaster (worse than giving a city the finger), it makes them look rather bushleague, it's just a giant mess than the NFL would not want to get into. Then there's potential lawsuits from Kroenke over it, it's a lot of money they'd be throwing down the drain just to try to make a point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Luckily for Kroenke (if this is his stategy)... the NFL is full of naive, stupid men who could never see through that like us extremely intelligent Rams fans of ROD!
This^^^ and anyone who doesn't see that is a stupid face.

rams2050

Starter
Kroenke will not be anathema in just St. Louis; Columbia, his home town, is chock full of Rams' fans. It just boggles the mind that at his age, with his fortune already secured, that he would jeopardize his legacy in the state for which he has, in the past, professed his support as a 'Missouri guy.'

When is 'enough' enough?

He will be the most hated man in Missouri if he goes through with this. . . and his family won't be much loved, either. I truly believe the Kroenkes will have to make their full-time homes in LA if this goes down.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He will be the most hated man in Missouri if he goes through with this. . . and his family won't be much loved, either. I truly believe the Kroenkes will have to make their full-time homes in LA if this goes down.

Well, regardless of what happens let's hope cooler heads will prevail.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
Kroenke will not be anathema in just St. Louis; Columbia, his home town, is chock full of Rams' fans. It just boggles the mind that at his age, with his fortune already secured, that he would jeopardize his legacy in the state for which he has, in the past, professed his support as a 'Missouri guy.'

When is 'enough' enough?

Once again, if you can take the Rams out of LA, you can take them out of anywhere.

bluecoconuts

Legend

That or Denver. Honestly I don't know if that would factor in.. Honestly if I was him and someone were to say that I'd probably reply something along the lines of LA county having almost twice as many people as the state of Missouri, so while they might hate me, I'll have plenty who'll love me. I think he's long moved past statehood loyalty.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
31 teams is less valuable than 32 teams. Plus they lose out on the LA market then, plus it's a huge PR disaster (worse than giving a city the finger), it makes them look rather bushleague, it's just a giant mess than the NFL would not want to get into. Then there's potential lawsuits from Kroenke over it, it's a lot of money they'd be throwing down the drain just to try to make a point.

1/31 is bigger than 1/32.

The NFL could still move into LA with another team.

If they wanted a 32nd team, they could always expand - there would be potential owners lining up left and right.

As for lawsuits, it depends on the existing contract in place. If the NFL votes to block Stan, and he goes anyway - then the bush league thing to do would be to roll over and take it.

Stan would be taking a risk that his franchise goes from cash cow to a big heaping pile of nothing.

Alan

Legend
Interesting decision to unpin this thread. I've got a feeling it's going to be, effectively, pinned at the top of this page anyway. :LOL:

MrMotes

Starter
Luckily for Kroenke (if this is his stategy)... the NFL is full of naive, stupid men who could never see through that like us extremely intelligent Rams fans of ROD!

If it is the strategy, it's not to fool the other owners. It's to convince the media and NFL fans in general that moving the team was the best thing for the NFL. The owners and Stan will well know it was about money. But that explanation is not good PR...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not sure if the NFL threatened to pull the Raiders out of the league when Davis made his move - but I really don't know. And it may not be a viable threat in this situation either.

Surely, Stan's lawyers will have anticipated every conceivable reaction by the NFL and the NFL's lawyers will have anticipated every possible move Kroenke, Spanos, and Davis can make.

Personally, I wouldn't bet on billionaire poker - too much can happen. It sure is interesting to watch it all play out though.

The NFL would never pull a team out of the schedule because they would lose big time in court and they know it. Davis knew he'd win, because the league effectively has a monopoly and no real right to force owners to play where they don't want to play. This is what Jerry Jones alluded to earlier this year when he said owners could do what they want.

Sure, Stan is playing nice. Right now. But give him a vote he doesn't like, that is going to cost him millions lost in franchise value and see what happens. Stan is not the kind of guy to be pushed around, he will lawyer up if he needs to because he's got the pockets to buy the whole thing no probs in LA.

MrMotes

Starter
Stan would be taking a risk that his franchise goes from cash cow to a big heaping pile of nothing.

I think that risk is pretty close to zero. It's like AG Jay Nixon said in 1995:

''The NFL teams are separate, independent businesses that compete with one another on and off the field,'' Mr. Nixon says. ''If the other NFL teams and the Rams' competitors act as a cartel to stop them from doing business in the city of their choice, it would be a classic restraint of trade. ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.