New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend
In stadium financing game, Goldman Sachs dominates

By Tim Logan

http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/la-fi-stadium-goldman-20150524-story.html

When San Diego Chargers executives needed help raising $1.7 billion for a football stadium in Carson, they turned to the professionals: Goldman Sachs.

The giant investment bank has become a major player in the high-stakes stadium financing game, crafting 30 deals with pro teams in the last decade.

Goldman has seized an opportunity in an era when cities and states are increasingly leery of subsidizing sports palaces for billionaires. The firm offers the next-best thing: upfront Wall Street money, along with help crafting creative deals that maximize a team's profits and minimize its taxes.

Along the way, the bank and the investors it recruits pull in seven-figure returns and can even influence where franchises end up playing.

The firm has financed some of the biggest deals in sports, including the new Yankee Stadium in New York and the San Francisco 49ers' new Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. Now Goldman is at the center of the Chargers and Oakland Raiders plan for a new stadium in Carson, where it has crafted a complex public-private partnership to build the nation's most expensive stadium.

The stadium plan still needs approval from the NFL, and the league could choose to go with a competing plan for a $1.86-billion stadium in Inglewood from St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke, the league's second-richest owner.

But Goldman's money and influence give confidence to the Carson plan's boosters.

"Inglewood likes to say they have the money, because they have Kroenke and he's worth $6.3 billion," said Carson Mayor Albert Robles. "Actually, we have more money — because we have Goldman Sachs."

The Chargers first hired Goldman several years ago to advise them on a new stadium in San Diego. But talks with the city stalled amid disagreements over sites and public financing. When the team then looked to Los Angeles, Goldman had a ready blueprint in the $1.3-billion deal to build Levi's Stadium.

It is the first NFL stadium built in California since the mid-1960s, financed in a city about the same size as Carson with little upfront tax money and big potential profits for the team.

"It showed that, in a big market, you can do this," said Mark Fabiani, who's in charge of stadium efforts for the Chargers. "That definitely affected our thinking."

The Chargers drove the stadium planning before inviting the Raiders to join earlier this year.

In Santa Clara, and in Carson, Goldman's plan was to create a public authority to build and own the stadium, using the proceeds of a construction loan raised from private investors. The loan would be paid back using revenue from sponsorships, high-end seating and non-NFL events at the stadium and, in a two-team stadium in Carson, using as much as $800 million in personal seat licenses — upfront payments that allow fans to buy season tickets.

The structure of the deal would also save both teams a lot of money in the long run, said John Vrooman, a sports economist at Vanderbilt University.

Using a tax-exempt public authority to sell personal seat licenses and sponsorships allows the teams to avoid many taxes on those sales, saving them tens, perhaps hundreds, of millions of dollars, Vrooman said. The teams would also avoid property taxes on the building, though they would pay rent and other local taxes on the private use of a public facility.

Public agency bonds for the stadium would be tax exempt and sell at lower interest rates.

"Goldman Sachs' job is to use, if not disguise, every public funding tax shelter and loophole," Vrooman said.

Goldman's investors also prefer the opportunities for private profits in L.A., which San Diego can't match. That makes the Carson stadium a much safer bet. Building something similar in San Diego without generous public subsidies would require the Chargers to borrow more money at higher interest rates. The economics don't work, Fabiani said.

"In L.A., the naming rights are worth more. Suite sales are worth more. Sponsorships are worth more," he said. "In San Diego we just don't have those advantages. Even though we'd like to do the same thing in San Diego, we couldn't finance it."

Goldman declined to make members of its stadium financing team available for interviews. But at a recent Carson City Council meeting, Tim Romer, who heads the firm's West Coast public-sector financing operation, said he's confident that this plan can succeed in the L.A. market.

"We're committed to making this happen," he said. "We've concluded the financing is viable."

Some have their doubts. Tony Manolatos, a spokesman for San Diego's stadium task force, says Goldman's plan in Carson leans too heavily on personal seat licenses. To raise $800 million, the Chargers and Raiders both would have to sell more seat licenses than anyone except the Dallas Cowboys and 49ers ever have — in a market where neither team has deep roots — while competing with each other.

"No one has ever sold that amount of [personal seat licenses] in a new market," he said.

San Diego officials last week countered with an offer that includes $242 million in city and county subsidies, $173 million in construction bonds and $225 million from the sale of city-owned land near the stadium. The Chargers would put up $300 million and the NFL would pay $200 million. Team officials say they're reviewing the proposal.

If Goldman is right, their investors should see a solid return. The Santa Clara deal generated about $75 million in interest and fees, according to financing documents, with more potentially to come when construction bonds are refinanced later this year. In Carson — where the stadium would cost $400 million more — financiers could easily recoup $100 million.

"They're basically the middlemen," said Roger Noll, a Stanford University economist who watched the Santa Clara stadium deal unfold.

Goldman should have no trouble raising money, said Randy Gerardes, a senior municipal bond analyst at Wells Fargo Securities.

"A market like L.A. is attractive," Gerardes said. "Just like it's attractive to the NFL, it's attractive to investors. There's a lot of money there, a big corporate base."

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I didn't know that Anheuser-Busch was pulling executives and possibly the factory out of St Louis, that's an interesting point. Shame if they do pull the factory out, because of the history there. Since it's no longer an American company though, I guess they don't have as much sentimental value on the place. Otherwise, sounds like he was agreeing with Bernie, the market study will show that fans like the Rams, but there's questions from the corporate guys, which of course is who they want to have on their side.

It'll be interesting if Peacock can convince those businesses to sign on, or if that'll even work (for keeping the Rams anyway), but if he's right and the NFL believes that the best they can do is middle of the pack, that might be somewhat damming. I think the NFL would like to see someone with Kroenke's weight up at the top, because that helps the rest of them out.
The market assessment will be Stans key to unlock the door to LA. Just a guess on my part.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Market in L.A. has always been a Big one, so WHY has it taken 20 years for the NFL to start to get interested in getting a Team back in here!?!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
What dis Los Angeles do? We just lost our team 20 years ago, have amazing weather and are huge. What's so wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with LA. But it's not like you need the Rams like STL does. I just think the Rams are much more important to the city of STL then it is to LA. A football team would just be an extra toy to you guys.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I get where you are coming from Leg. The city of LA doesn't NEED a football team (with the exception of the die hard football fan) to be what it is, especially with all the other attractions that it offeres.
The dwal is that the NFL wants a team there so it can be what IT wants to be. The few teams that had the opportunity to move used it as leverage instead which is among the numerous reasons for it not happening for 20 years

Believe me bro we miss it and this isnt fair to y'all, but taking them from us wasn't either.
If this move happens we Rams will have more in common than just the Rams. I hope this can keep us all bonded if I move happens because I'd hate to lose you as an internet Rams friend.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bernie Responds to the Cole Interview

Good grief ...

Jason Cole is a friend, but I have to admit he's been all over the map on this thing. Seriously. He was saying something opposite of that a week ago.

Jason LaConfora had the Rams gone, now he's leading the charge on how the league will go with Chargers-Raiders Carson.

These national NFL media guys who report from a web-site platform are really under a lot of pressure to make news and get clicks.

Here's what doesn't get clicks: a pundit or columnist who writes a piece saying, "It's a complicated situation, with many variables, and I have no idea how it will end."

Which happens to be the truth.

But that isn't much of a click generator, is it?

-B
Am I the only one here that finds the irony in Bern calling others out for flip flopping and going after clicks? I agree with what he is saying here but in this case, I'd like to shoot the messenger.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's like saying no one is stopping you from having fun at a party with your girlfriend except that the cops and your parents are there. Sure, technically no one is stopping you, but in reality they are indeed stopping you.
Thought of a different way, you could look at it as giving your friend (the players of the team) a send off party rather than just letting him head to the bus stop on his own.

Not saying I don't understand. Just another way to look at it.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Nothing wrong with LA. But it's not like you need the Rams like STL does. I just think the Rams are much more important to the city of STL then it is to LA. A football team would just be an extra toy to you guys.

I would disagree with that statement that STL needs the Rams more. I have read more than a few on this board and other boards that fans from St Louis would stop rooting for the Rams if they left. Also, they would root for whatever team played in St Louis. For example, in '94 -'95 there was a chance of an expansion team, the Stallions. On the other hand, many life long Ram fans from California have continued to root for the Rams while they've been in STL and will continue being fans wherever they play. But, will not root for any another team that plays LA.

I am not saying one is better than the other, other than STL tends to be City first and people from California (LA) tend to be Team first.

bluecoconuts

Legend
"Inglewood likes to say they have the money, because they have Kroenke and he's worth $6.3 billion," said Carson Mayor Albert Robles. "Actually, we have more money — because we have Goldman Sachs."

:rolleyes: except it doesn't work that way you dummy.

iced

I would disagree with that statement that STL needs the Rams more. I have read more than a few on this board and other boards that fans from St Louis would stop rooting for the Rams if they left. Also, they would root for whatever team played in St Louis. For example, in '94 -'95 there was a chance of an expansion team, the Stallions. On the other hand, many life long Ram fans from California have continued to root for the Rams while they've been in STL and will continue being fans wherever they play. But, will not root for any another team that plays LA.

I am not saying one is better than the other, other than STL tends to be City first and people from California (LA) tend to be Team first.

he's not talking about fans - he's talking about the revenue lost by the city and its impact

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I live in buffalo actually. But, I became a fan of the STL Rams. I've been to the city enough times to know it like my own. So the fact that I have been to games and seen the suffering STL has been through with bad football, and now the team is going to leave on a possible playoff season? That's a kick in the nuts. I know they're originally from LA. But the whole situation looks like Stan is a big kid sitting on an ant hill with a magnifying glass. So it makes me hate Los Angeles.

What does going to the playoffs or not going to the playoffs have to do with it? Are you saying your fandom is conditional? You will only be a fan if they win?

I must apologize if it seems I am being critical of you. I have seen this brought up by other STL posters. It seems they want to justify their position based on how the Rams have performed on the field. For example, " I've had to put up with all the losing the past 10 years." If that's going to be the opinion of the STL majority, then I'm not going to feel so bad for STL if the Rams leave.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
The Market in L.A. has always been a Big one, so WHY has it taken 20 years for the NFL to start to get interested in getting a Team back in here!?!
There's been lot's of interest and proposals but no public money available. The projects were all attached to a private investor that didn't have a team which doomed all of them

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
What does going to the playoffs or not going to the playoffs have to do with it? Are you saying your fandom is conditional? You will only be a fan if they win?

I must apologize if it seems I am being critical of you. I have seen this brought up by other STL posters. It seems they want to justify their position based on how the Rams have performed on the field. For example, " I've had to put up with all the losing the past 10 years." If that's going to be the opinion of the STL majority, then I'm not going to feel so bad for STL if the Rams leave.
So you're saying we shouldn't be upset by the fact that we've had to put up with shitty teams for a decade and when we finally have a good season, they bolt to another city? Mmmkay.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The mayor of Carson keeps taking shots at Ingelwood, I don't understand why? Inglewood hasn't taken any shots publicly as far as I know.
I think anyone who makes fun of people are just jealous. Carson is a lot of shit talking. Not saying it won't happen, but Inglewood is silent but deadly. I don't see how that stadium doesnt get built honestly.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you're saying we shouldn't be upset by the fact that we've had to put up with crappy teams for a decade and when we finally have a good season, they bolt to another city? Mmmkay.

Kinda sounds like what the fans prior to the move to St Louis dealt with tbh. First SB win 4 years after the evil witch moved without league approval.

Just 6.3? He must've taken a hit last I saw it was almost 9 million. Oh well at least he has his wifes $5 billion to fall back on in emergency! (How do I do the blue font again?)

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I think anyone who makes fun of people are just jealous. Carson is a lot of crap talking. Not saying it won't happen, but Inglewood is silent but deadly. I don't see how that stadium doesnt get built honestly.
Both mayors don't get it, it's not up to them it's up to the NFL lol.

iced

And I don't see how you can make that statement either - it's not like you speak for the people who stopped cheering for the rams, switched allegiances, or quit football all together after the Rams left LA.

St.Louis on the other hand has been faithful and loyal to a poor product - not sure how you can say they're city first when all they do is support their franchises here, good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.