New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It seems they based it off of Article 4 section 3 that really doesn't say much other than it requires a vote. They also say they grabbed some information from a senate bill from 1984 that they modified and then added things themselves, either way the NFL is under no obligation to enforce them.

Well sure, but they aren't obliged to follow any of their bylaws. The factors contained in that document have been considered important in other relocations, so if you can find a better interpretation of the relocation bylaws, and what they might consider, Be my guest.

Edit: http://www.leg.state.mn.us/webcontent/lrl/issues/FootballStadium/MayorsPrinciplesNFL.pdf

Here's the statement of principles developed by the league and the conference of mayors.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Since all TV revenue is shared, shouldn't LA have a focus of more butts in the seats, hence the need for a bigger stadium?

Oh and numbers wise, Seattle has been floating around middle of the road (16-21) since Centruy Link opened in 2002.
Not really - to the first part. And from what I understand, the shitchickens claim sellouts since the building of the new stadium. But I think we all know the sellout thing is a fictitious stat.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And the TV's are already on in LA each Sunday morning. Unless it's sunny out,,,, oh ,, wait?
Not sure that really is the case with the Rams not playing. My dad - for example - searches to see if the Rams are playing on TV. If not, he goes and does something else. My uncles are the same way.

I just thought of something though. Does the fact that local games are aired in the home market and may increase nationally actually harm Direct TV sales if the move to LA? Probably not for the other teams but it may very well for the Rams.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Gotcha. So, why is it that the Rams have such a tough time staying in one city? I mean, Detroit has been terrible forever. Why do they get to stay? This would be the Rams 3rd move since they came into the league. That's certainly the most out of any other team. It just doesn't make sense to continue to alienate the fan base. Pick a city and keep them there.
Georgia Frontiere is the one who started all of this mess. She did it to us, and in a strange turn of events (stupid lease stipulations) she caused what Stan is doing it to you now. Which is the same thing for the same reasons.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Georgia Frontiere is the one who started all of this mess. She did it to us, and in a strange turn of events (stupid lease stipulations) she caused what Stan is doing it to you now. Which is the same thing for the same reasons.
What exactly did she do? Maybe I could get a better feeling of this situation if I knew more about why they're in STL in the first place.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Did he do it when the Titans were moving? There simply no way to equate this to any other situation in recent times. No one forced us to go to SoCal, it seems almost naive to believe that no one noticed this "coincidence."
No he didn't but it shows correlation to the fact that since Fisher has done this with the Cowboys several times in the past that he has some form of preference / relationship to the Cowboys for training with

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Also, is it possible for 3 teams to be in LA? I mean, if San Diego or Oakland does nothing to get a new stadium, and Stan wants to move? Do they just decide that on a vote? SO MANY QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED. Dammit Stan.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well sure, but they aren't obliged to follow any of their bylaws. The factors contained in that document have been considered important in other relocations, so if you can find a better interpretation of the relocation bylaws, and what they might consider, Be my guest.

Edit: http://www.leg.state.mn.us/webcontent/lrl/issues/FootballStadium/MayorsPrinciplesNFL.pdf

Here's the statement of principles developed by the league and the conference of mayors.

I mean if they're not even in the bylaws they really don't need to do anything, even address them.

I'll look at it when I get home from school in a few hours, I'm half paying attention, so I'm probably coming off stupid with half a point.:LOL:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I was there last summer, so they were coming off their most recent cup, so yes that does have an effect, but even before that I would see shirts and hats. When I grew up I was a Kings fan, and they SUCKED back then.

I agree with the idea that the Rams are capable of becoming a national brand in St Louis, I'm not saying they can't. My point is that it's easier and faster to do it in LA, or any other global city, just because the exposure is going to be much higher.

Sure, that's why you build a stadium with tons of attractions around it as well. Shops, restaurants, etc, families can make it a day trip instead of just sit in traffic for hours, go to game, leave game, sit in traffic for hours. There was a sizable jump in attendance by both the Kings and Lakers when they moved from the Forum to Staples Center, part of that was having more to do, the Forum was the Forum, but Staples Center was LA Live, there was crap to do, and a beautiful venue to boot. They'll attract more casual fans that way.

I can't for the life of me figure why this "surrounding things to do" stuff keeps getting brought up. The NFL, the Rams, and the networks do not get a dime off of a lunch sold three blocks away. There is a new stadium boost to attendance in every city. Winning draws casual fans. Fans do not decide at those prices to go see a 10 yr losing team in between lunch and a dinner show. You build a new stadium, it sells out. You make the playoffs with regularity, it stays sold out. Regardless of city. Or sometimes even regardless of sport. I can't think of anything more irrelevant to deciding where to keep a team.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No he didn't but it shows correlation to the fact that since Fisher has done this with the Cowboys several times in the past that he has some form of preference / relationship to the Cowboys for training with

Haven't the Cowboys changed head coaches, coordinators, and players since the last time? Unless he just really likes Tony Romo.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Also, is it possible for 3 teams to be in LA? I mean, if San Diego or Oakland does nothing to get a new stadium, and Stan wants to move? Do they just decide that on a vote? SO MANY QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED. Dammit Stan.

Well people will reference Anti trust on this matter, but in the NFL Constitution it says that the LA home market is controlled by the league, and the league has the decision on putting a team there. So, who knows.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Haven't the Cowboys changed head coaches, coordinators, and players since the last time? Unless he just really likes Tony Romo.
Or prefers to practice against a team that he's familiar with ownership consistency at oline a decent QB and a similar area their training in to a game they will be playing with Alot of preseason weight to keep track of

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
What exactly did she do? Maybe I could get a better feeling of this situation if I knew more about why they're in STL in the first place.
She had an issue working with Gene Autry with who she was sharing Angels stadium. She wanted to expand the Angels stadium grounds and build Rams Park in the parking lot. In essence crowding the Angels out of their own place. Autry refused.

Georgia had found an escape clause in her lease and exercised it. That clause was a stipulation on growth restrictions to her team which she felt the Autry refusal had created. Then to drive attendance down, she went about dismantling the team during the 5 year lease termination notice period. Bad attendance = yes votes or so she thought.

Towards the end of those 5 years, she went before the league owners asking to relocate. They voted NO to a move almost unanimously. After threatening lawsuits (one rumored to be about gender discrimination) the owners re-voted and capitulated to her desires.
(fun fact. GF's mother was Lucia Pamela, Miss St. Louis of 1926)

This all came on the heels of the death of Carrol Rosenbloom who had issues with the antiquated Coliseum. He had rumored to having a few deals going to get him a new stadium built so the Anaheim deal was supposed to just be a pit stop. Those deals died with him. Ironically or otherwise, this occurred the same year the IRS changed laws pertaining to widow inheritance and CR changed his will making her the heiress instead of his son Steve.

So stadium issues, getting out of leases, relocation and votes, fans supportive but left in the dust. Sounds familiar don't it?

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Or prefers to practice against a team that he's familiar with ownership consistency at oline a decent QB and a similar area their training in to a game they will be playing with Alot of preseason weight to keep track of

They'll have to fly to Oakland anyway, from what's been said here. I don't think he negotiates with Jerry and I'm not sure he really cares about their online. It's a move designed to facilitate LA by making fans there excited and poisoning fans here. Perhaps to drive the stadium here, although considering everyone from the Pope on down is impressed with Peacock, I doubt that's it's intention either.

Any other explanation would mean the FO is helplessly clueless, and they definitely aren't that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't for the life of me figure why this "surrounding things to do" stuff keeps getting brought up. The NFL, the Rams, and the networks do not get a dime off of a lunch sold three blocks away. There is a new stadium boost to attendance in every city. Winning draws casual fans. Fans do not decide at those prices to go see a 10 yr losing team in between lunch and a dinner show. You build a new stadium, it sells out. You make the playoffs with regularity, it stays sold out. Regardless of city. Or sometimes even regardless of sport. I can't think of anything more irrelevant to deciding where to keep a team.
That may be for you but not for me or many other fans. I like to make a day of going to a game - sometimes even an entire trip. What is around the stadium matters a great deal. I want to go to a game in St Louis largely because I could walk around town and see the Arch for example. The Staples center has great restaurants that are a part of any game we take in there. The entire thing is an experience, otherwise I would just watch it on TV. I really think you are underselling the importance of a great many fans by thinking they are going to go to the game and then go home or are no more likely to go to a game if the venue is surrounded by other cool things to do. Why do you think they are putting so much effort into the surrounding areas these days?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That may be for you but not for me or many other fans. I like to make a day of going to a game - sometimes even an entire trip. What is around the stadium matters a great deal. I want to go to a game in St Louis largely because I could walk around town and see the Arch for example. The Staples center has great restaurants that are a part of any game we take in there. The entire thing is an experience, otherwise I would just watch it on TV. I really think you are underselling the importance of a great many fans by thinking they are going to go to the game and then go home or are no more likely to go to a game if the venue is surrounded by other cool things to do. Why do you think they are putting so much effort into the surrounding areas these days?

As a sell to the taxpayer's for votes is the short easy answer.

So you're telling me if we built a ballpark village around the new stadium it would matter to the NFL and Stan? Even though they wouldn't see a dime of that money?

I might be underestimating this, but I think a good many people are really overestimating. I think it's just another version of the bylaw argument we make in STL. Wishful thinking that a reason outside of Stan's money and the TV market exists to attract or keep the Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Any other explanation would mean the FO is helplessly clueless, and they definitely aren't that.
Please keep in mind that this is your opinion and not indeed the only explanation. There are a great many factors that could be in play here and your specific explanation may not be the end all be all that is being played here. I don't believe for a second that this is a coincidence or in anyway unassociated with the stadium situation but I wouldn't presume to think my version is the only truth.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Why do you think they are putting so much effort into the surrounding areas these days?
Even Disneyland, who built California Adventure right next door, has this little place called Downtown Disney, which is filled with shops, restaurants and such and is always packed. Mall mentality is not like it used to be.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Please keep in mind that this is your opinion and not indeed the only explanation. There are a great many factors that could be in play here and your specific explanation may not be the end all be all that is being played here. I don't believe for a second that this is a coincidence or in anyway unassociated with the stadium situation but I wouldn't presume to think my version is the only truth.

I never said it was fact. I said another explanation would mean the FO is clueless and that I don't think they are. Doesn't mean they aren't. I didn't think that was anymore forceful than anyone's else's explanations. If it came off that way I apologize.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As a sell to the taxpayer's for votes is the short easy answer.

So you're telling me if we built a ballpark village around the new stadium it would matter to the NFL and Stan? Even though they wouldn't see a dime of that money?

I might be underestimating this, but I think a good many people are really overestimating. I think it's just another version of the bylaw argument we make in STL. Wishful thinking that a reason outside of Stan's money and the TV market exists to attract or keep the Rams.
It is in the interest of the NFL and the owner to make the fan experience everything it can. And don't think for a second Stan doesn't stand to make money off everything around the Inglewood stadium if he builds it. You're damn right it matters to Stan. And if nothing, the NFL cares about making its owners happy.

BTW - Stan not seeing a dime of what might be going on around the new St Louis stadium may very well be a big stumbling block for both him AND the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.