New England Patriots Bad for Football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet another Super Bowl appearance for the hated Cheatriots. People tell me they're good, which I will never admit because I am genetically unable to do so. But the fact is they are there almost every year in recent years. They supposedly made it impossible for dynasties like this to form, via free agency. I am sure all of the bandwagon Patriot fans and home grown ones will watch this game. Iggles fans will too, of course....

But seriously, I have no desire to ever watch another Super Bowl if the Patriots are in it (unless the Rams are in it, of course). I know from the other thread that many here won't watch it. There are other reasons that I won't go into here that have all been discussed for decreased NFL viewership. I bet that fewer will watch it this year as compared to last year. Thirteen teams in the NFL have never won a Super Bowl, of which the Eagles are one. This will be the 52nd Super Bowl, and about 41% of NFL teams/cities have never won it.

You can tell me that the losers just have to manage better, draft better, and be coached better. After 52 years, those answers get old and are unsatisfying. I have no answers or even suggestions as how to fix it. But as other sports become more popular with kids whose parents won't let them play tackle football due to CTE issues, the NFL can't afford to leave +40% of the NFL team's fan bases, constantly frustrated, year after year.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Bad for football? Yeah... I believe they, or any dynasty that size are.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I tend to agree with you.

No other team can win like that, not even close and they do it year after year.
Statistically, that’s impossible without at least some ‘outside influence’. Most people commonly call an ‘outside influence’ cheating. Also, we know the NE Perps have been caught cheating several times in the past and statistically speaking when someone is caught in deviant behavior it is only the tip of the iceberg- meaning they have been doing it and getting away with it many, many more times than they have been caught. I see they only got called for a penalty one time today....if I counted correctly.... I mean, come ‘on man.... I counted more than one penalty they committed per quarter.

So, all that to say, yes, I think they are bad for football. That’s part of the reason I have been watching less football....

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Well the Falcons should have won that Superbowl and the Jaguars were close to winning this game. Almost every sport has dynasties/powerhouses, it happens and it's hard to prevent. Alabama in college football, the Yankees in baseball, UNC/Duke in college basketball, the NBA, I don't watch much hockey but the Penguins/Bruins recently (?), etc.

To make the playoffs more diverse in the NFL, however, I think it will be more interesting if we eliminate the first round bye and have the same structure as the NBA/Hockey. Otherwise, I'm not sure what else you can do. The Patriots doesn't have the most talented roster outside of Brady/Gronk. I can't name more than probably three people on their defense. Sometimes excellence is just "boring"

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What's sports without an evil empire to hate?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'll expand on that post a little: would anyone have given half a shit about the Titans last week if they weren't in line to knock off the Big Bad Patriots? Would anyone have really given that much attention to Blake Bortles and the Jags if they weren't the David slinging rocks at Goliath (stealing Malkovich's AFCCG tease)? Probably not, but now Mariota and Bortles have spent time being revered and supported by a metric shitton of NFL fans who may not have cared about them before but who certainly care about them when they're Poe Dameron trying to take down a First Order Dreadnought.

There's 32 teams in the NFL. Most folks are a fan of 1. When you get to that final 4 or 2, if the team you love isn't there, doesn't it help having a team you hate to really get your interest up in whoever's playing them?

Tano

Legend
I'll expand on that post a little: would anyone have given half a crap about the Titans last week if they weren't in line to knock off the Big Bad Patriots? Would anyone have really given that much attention to Blake Bortles and the Jags if they weren't the David slinging rocks at Goliath (stealing Malkovich's AFCCG tease)? Probably not, but now Mariota and Bortles have spent time being revered and supported by a metric shitton of NFL fans who may not have cared about them before but who certainly care about them when they're Poe Dameron trying to take down a First Order Dreadnought.

There's 32 teams in the NFL. Most folks are a fan of 1. When you get to that final 4 or 2, if the team you love isn't there, doesn't it help having a team you hate to really get your interest up in whoever's playing them?
Hell No - I get a lot of joy each year the Yankees or Giants don't make the playoffs and are bottom feeders. Not as much as I get when the Dodgers make it to the World Series but still I do have a decent smile on my face seeing those teams lose.

When the cheatriots finally lose I will be jumping for joy. Not as much when the Rams win the Superbowl but still be happy nonetheless.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll expand on that post a little: would anyone have given half a crap about the Titans last week if they weren't in line to knock off the Big Bad Patriots? Would anyone have really given that much attention to Blake Bortles and the Jags if they weren't the David slinging rocks at Goliath (stealing Malkovich's AFCCG tease)? Probably not, but now Mariota and Bortles have spent time being revered and supported by a metric shitton of NFL fans who may not have cared about them before but who certainly care about them when they're Poe Dameron trying to take down a First Order Dreadnought.

Nope. I quite enjoy watching great football when I can just sit down and enjoy a game without a rooting interest. I don't enjoy watching the Patriots, and that's why I won't be watching the Super Bowl for the first time in a very long time.

Ellard80

Legend
Well its tough to say but a lot of ratings experts say that dynasties increase interest level.

I hate the patriots.. but their success if good for the NFL sadly.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Hell No - I get a lot of joy each year the Yankees or Giants don't make the playoffs and are bottom feeders. Not as much as I get when the Dodgers make it to the World Series but still I do have a decent smile on my face seeing those teams lose.

When the cheatriots finally lose I will be jumping for joy. Not as much when the Rams win the Superbowl but still be happy nonetheless.
You're making my point for me... Rams winning is paramount to you, but the Pats losing is almost as good. You're hate-watching, which is good for the NFL... adds more spice and passion to games.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The fact that there is a thread about this indicates they are great for “football”. Love or hate them they create a topic.

When I was younger I loved rooting against the dynasty team, whether is was Pitt, Dallas, SF etc. As I get older I care less about if they win.

Love them or hate them, but Brady has a chance to win his 6th SB and will be in his 8th. That’s something I’m sure at my age will never see again, so for me I have to watch.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Meh, I used to loathe the Pats explicitly but I got over it and focus on what the Rams can do to git gud.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that the Patriots being good for football was correct up until a year or two ago. It is going on too long and I'd like to see other teams get a shot at the big game. I am over the fervor of rooting against them and hating them. I have accepted that they are good, even if cheating is part of their game. As long as the NFL accepts the cheating then it is a part of the game that they are also good at.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After 52 years, the, thirteen teams have not won a Super bowl. After 100 years of Super Bowls, there will still be cities/teams who will never have enjoyed a Super bowl win....not good, because Cleveland deserves better..

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, every sport has a 'dynasty' team, there's nothing you can do about it, it's the way of the world (in sport) anyway. It's like having the 'hot chick' in school, she'll always be the hot chick, until the next 'hot chick' turns up... It's the Pats now, the next dynasty could be the Rams, would you hate that so much?

FWIW, I will be watching and enjoying the SB this year again, as I did last year's, sure I'd love the Rams to be there, and I really do think we COULD HAVE won it this year, but thats the nature of the post-season, we didn't score enough in that last match...

I for one will be rooting for the Eagles this year, because I really want to see Nick Foles lift the Lombardi, I will find that funny, but the guy has deserved a second chance, as had Keenum. Also, if Chris Long gets another ring, I won't mind at all - however the Pats have Kenny Britt :whistle::whistle:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I know that I will not watch a smirking Tom Brady or a mumbling Hoody ever in a Super Bowl again. Life is too short for that cr@p. I'd rather read a book or watch international curling competitions. I will watch whoever the Rams play in the Super Bowl, even if it's the Pats....but that's the only way that will happen the rest of my life.

You guys enjoy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I might dislike the Patriots, but I look forward to the Super Bowl.

The Patriots at least give me someone to root against!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I don't like the Patriots but, as I wasn't following the Rams back in 2001/2, I also don't hate them.

I look at it slightly differently. Even without the cheating, they would still have been a dynasty for the last 10+ years in my view. To achieve that in a league set up for parity is an incredible achievement. The real question is why the hell hasn't the rest of the NFL come close to achieving the same. The Patriots and Browns are playing to the same rules (cheating aside) and look at the difference. Some franchises out there are guilty of massive incompetence so the Pats have never really had any consistent challenge to their throne (the NY Giants aside).

Its up to the rest of the league to sort themselves out in my opinion.

To finish on a more-ROD friendly note, I believe that the Rams, by hiring McVay, took the first step in that direction.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yes. As many have said, I’ve gotten over them winning. At this point, it’s all about waiting for Brady/Belicheck to retire. But you have to remember, fans probably felt the same way about every team that’s done this. Raiders in the 70s, Packers, Cowboys, Giants and 49ers. They were all dynasties at one and point. But it won’t last forever.