New England Patriots Bad for Football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
When I lived in NE in the 60's, they were certainly bad for football....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I lived in NE in the 60's, they were certainly bad for football....
At least they lost honestly back then with Steve Grogan (70's), instead of winning some Super Bowls the way they did with Brady.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would stop being a fan of the Rams for sure.

I bet like most Patriot fans you would find away to justify it. Spygate = Everyone was taping anyway, they got busted on a technicality. Deflategate = uniform infraction, really footballs?, Rivers, Big Ben admitted to doing it etc.

As people we typically defend our own. I bet most of us if not all would defend our Rams and blame everyone for being jealous.

I live it so I have heard every excuse lol.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I bet like most Patriot fans you would find away to justify it. Spygate = Everyone was taping anyway, they got busted on a technicality. Deflategate = uniform infraction, really footballs?, Rivers, Big Ben admitted to doing it etc.

As people we typically defend our own. I bet most of us if not all would defend our Rams and blame everyone for being jealous.

I don't believe the tapes get destroyed if it really were equal to a uniform infraction. Besides the point but just saying. Anyway I'm not most patriot fans. I have standards and morals.

Ram65

Legend
I'm going to watch the Super Bowl. It should be a good game. I think the Eagles have a good chance to win.

One of the most enjoyable games came along when the Patriots were 16-0 in the regular season and 1 SB win away from a perfect 19-0 season. Watching that Super Bowl game with fellow Rams fans who couldn't believe the Giants had a chance to win was fun. When the Giants hung in and slugged out a Super Bowl win against the "Evil Empire" it felt great.

I don't like Dynasties nor the Patsies and think it would be better to have other teams play in the SB.

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, I don't have time to read all the posts.

There are almost always a dynasty, Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers and now New England, it's good for the sport because we all need to hate.
Part of what makes NE so potent is they that once a team gets a lead on them, that team starts to play "not to lose" and Bradey takes advantage of that. Of course great coaching helps too. That is one of things I love about our Rams now, they never let up on the Giants, Colts, Cardinals and Seahawks in those monster wins. Once McVay got his foot on their neck he didn't let go.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/patrio...-ratings-afc-championship-game-161254796.html
Patriots fatigue? Monster ratings for AFC championship prove otherwise
Frank Schwab,Shutdown Corner 5 hours ago

For all the talk about how people hate the New England Patriots, they’re still good for NFL business. And for all the talk about ratings, the NFL business is still doing better than anything else in its realm.

The ratings for the AFC championship game were, predictably, monstrous. The Patriots’ dramatic win over the Jacksonville Jaguars drew a 27.3 overnight household rating and a 50 share, according to CBS (via Ben Volin of the Boston Globe). That was the highest rated game of this NFL season. It’s the highest rated television program since … last year’s Super Bowl, that featured the Patriots coming back to beat the Atlanta Falcons. It was bigger than the NBA Finals. Bigger than the World Series. Bigger than the College Football Playoff or “Game of Thrones” or “Big Bang Theory” or anything else. Remember, as always, the stories about NFL ratings being down are quite overblown. You might see people spinning the AFC title game viewership as ratings being down (last year the AFC title game got a 27.6), but when you see that just remember that no other show since last Feb. 5 in any category did better. That seems to be an important part of the story. People will point to the NFC title game ratings, which drew 42.3 million viewers (h/t Richard Deitsch at SI.com) after drawing 46.3 million last season, and might not note that the game was a blowout early on and it’s still 42.3 million viewers.

And no matter what everyone says about being fatigued on the Patriots, people still tune in. Although the game did very well in Jacksonville (a whopping 70 share in that market, according to NFL writer Vito Stellino), the game didn’t do the highest ratings on television in 50 weeks because of the Jaguars. While some people won’t like that the Patriots are back in the Super Bowl for the third time in four years, having the Patriots involved will be better for ratings than the Jaguars would have been.

Super Bowl LII ratings should do fine. The Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles are two huge-market, traditional teams. There are interesting storylines on both sides. You’ll hear a lot in the next two weeks about how nobody wants to watch the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Presumably, the ratings won’t reflect that.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's embarrassing how bad the rest of the AFC has been. Brady is the GOAT QB, BB the GOAT coach.

But there are 53 players on a team - and having the best at just those positions, albeit the most important, should not have lead to this amount of success. The sheer ineptitude of the Jets, Bills and Dolphins for the past 20 years should produce a nice 30 for 30 somewhere down the line.

The Steelers have really been the only challenger over the years, and they've literally never beaten the Patriots in the playoffs, rarely have played them, and have only beaten Brady once or twice, period.

I also want to see the Patriots, just once, have more penalty yards than their opponent in a close playoff game. The pass interference call against the Jags right before halftime was bad IMO.

All in all, probably not bad per se - and I'll watch the super bowl because the Eagles have never won one.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll expand on that post a little: would anyone have given half a crap about the Titans last week if they weren't in line to knock off the Big Bad Patriots? Would anyone have really given that much attention to Blake Bortles and the Jags if they weren't the David slinging rocks at Goliath (stealing Malkovich's AFCCG tease)? Probably not, but now Mariota and Bortles have spent time being revered and supported by a metric shitton of NFL fans who may not have cared about them before but who certainly care about them when they're Poe Dameron trying to take down a First Order Dreadnought.

There's 32 teams in the NFL. Most folks are a fan of 1. When you get to that final 4 or 2, if the team you love isn't there, doesn't it help having a team you hate to really get your interest up in whoever's playing them?

Not for me.

I Definitely would have watched literally ANY other combo.

I'm not Philly fan, but Philly versus literally ANYONE else and I'm on my couch.

I simply refuse to support this false dynasty.

And it's false because Belichick knows the truth. The integrity of the game matters most to the league and to the public. So, it's not about asking permission or forgiveness. You can't really do either.

They cheated for MULTIPLE Super Bowls using their video the opponent system.

The league couldn't afford to deal with a scandal of that magnitude, so they outright lied about the offense and the scope.

Belichick realized how they reffed in Super Bowls and he blatantly had his guys break the rules because he saw how they weren't enforced. It was so egregious that they changed the rules!

I enjoy the sport. I don't enjoy or appreciate how the Patriots have turned winning into this thing where "if you're not cheating, you're not trying".

If someone were to enter a drag racing car into the Olympics for the 100 yard dash, it would pretty much mean the contest was useless.

Sports is the crucible in which we distill human virtue. Pick the sport that a person enjoys and you'll know a lot about what they hold dear. The very essence of a sport is the idea that the contest at least occurs on a level playing field where talent, skill, execution, technique, etc all play a role.

I would watch any Super Bowl that doesn't include the Patriots. I won't watch any that do.

Jmho.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
And you're correct, but it always seems the Patriots get the calls going back to the tuck rule, that was clearly a fumble...Just once I would like the official to keep the flag in his pocket, just once. It is very frustrating, but what was more frustrating is that nobody was hiring their coordinators as Head Coaches. I realize that McDaniels is a pissant and wanted to make sure the stars were aligned before his next gig, boy I hope Luck is done, that would serve shorty pants just fine, however, they will now lose McDaniels, Patricia and possibly Linebacker Coach Brian Flores to the Cardinals, so let's see how they respond to that.

The only reason the Giants beat them twice was because of circus catches late that the refs couldn't take away. Not like they didn't try, but the point is that an NFL game is like an oil tanker. It doesn't do donuts in the water, it turns in small increments. You put enough small things in the Patriots' favor and their likelihood of winning goes up substantially.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'm done with them.

I don't care if bandwagon fans inflate ratings. I'll be a football fan long after Brady retires and they're watching tennis or hockey or soccer or whatever.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's embarrassing how bad the rest of the AFC has been. Brady is the GOAT QB, BB the GOAT coach.

But there are 53 players on a team - and having the best at just those positions, albeit the most important, should not have lead to this amount of success. The sheer ineptitude of the Jets, Bills and Dolphins for the past 20 years should produce a nice 30 for 30 somewhere down the line.

The Steelers have really been the only challenger over the years, and they've literally never beaten the Patriots in the playoffs, rarely have played them, and have only beaten Brady once or twice, period.

I also want to see the Patriots, just once, have more penalty yards than their opponent in a close playoff game. The pass interference call against the Jags right before halftime was bad IMO.

All in all, probably not bad per se - and I'll watch the super bowl because the Eagles have never won one.

Here's how it's going to go... because they hate blowouts.

Eagles will get up early. There will probably be a call or two that helps the Eagles. They'll go into halftime ahead.

Then, just like in the Jags game, the narrative of Tom Brady will be brought out. No one can stop him. The D will hold and all of a sudden, the Eagles will have like 27 yards for the 3rd quarter and the Pats will be storming back.

By the fourth quarter, there will be a costly penalty against the Eagles that leads to the go ahead touchdown and...Pats win.

Much will be made about how well Nick Foles played and all the "what if" scenarios of Wentz had played...but the day will be Brady's, Belichick's and Kraft's and yes, the template won't be that different from the Jags game.

Just like EVERY single damn movie these days uses "the template" with Act 1,2, and 3 all serving the same functions... the Jags game showed that people LIKE this template.

There is literally no way the Eagles win. If, for some reason, Brian Hoyer has to play, the ONLY chance the Eagles have is if he starts raining Pick 6s to the Eagles secondary.

So there you go. You can watch if you want, but that's what's gonna happen. It'll be the AFCCG all over again.

Book it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's how it's going to go... because they hate blowouts.

Eagles will get up early. There will probably be a call or two that helps the Eagles. They'll go into halftime ahead.

Then, just like in the Jags game, the narrative of Tom Brady will be brought out. No one can stop him. The D will hold and all of a sudden, the Eagles will have like 27 yards for the 3rd quarter and the Pats will be storming back.

By the fourth quarter, there will be a costly penalty against the Eagles that leads to the go ahead touchdown and...Pats win.

Much will be made about how well Nick Foles played and all the "what if" scenarios of Wentz had played...but the day will be Brady's, Belichick's and Kraft's and yes, the template won't be that different from the Jags game.

Just like EVERY single damn movie these days uses "the template" with Act 1,2, and 3 all serving the same functions... the Jags game showed that people LIKE this template.

There is literally no way the Eagles win. If, for some reason, Brian Hoyer has to play, the ONLY chance the Eagles have is if he starts raining Pick 6s to the Eagles secondary.

So there you go. You can watch if you want, but that's what's gonna happen. It'll be the AFCCG all over again.

Book it.
You should hang onto this one... let's see how close you are!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

I know I wouldn't.

I used to be a massive fan of Lance Armstrong. Not anymore. And, yes, the entire sport was dirty, so some of the whole thing was the French being Frenchy about a Frenchman not winning Le Tour in decades and worse, an American dominating them.

But he cheated and lied about it.

I don't justify his cheating because Greg LeMond didn't and he won (and it's a dang shame how people treated him when he was telling the truth and hardly anyone has said boo about that once Lance was caught cheating).

So, I dunno about anyone else, but if the Rams were caught cheating, there's no way in hell that I would justify it. I know that comment was meant for me, but it's not a matter of being upset because someone else did it.

It's a matter of integrity. Cheating is wrong no matter who does it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I know I wouldn't.

I used to be a massive fan of Lance Armstrong. Not anymore. And, yes, the entire sport was dirty, so some of the whole thing was the French being Frenchy about a Frenchman not winning Le Tour in decades and worse, an American dominating them.

But he cheated and lied about it.

I don't justify his cheating because Greg LeMond didn't and he won (and it's a dang shame how people treated him when he was telling the truth and hardly anyone has said boo about that once Lance was caught cheating).

So, I dunno about anyone else, but if the Rams were caught cheating, there's no way in hell that I would justify it. I know that comment was meant for me, but it's not a matter of being upset because someone else did it.

It's a matter of integrity. Cheating is wrong no matter who does it.

I hear ya, but half the NFL does exactly what Armstrong did. You watch a sport in which likely everyone has done some type of PED at some point.

I’m not trying to argue because on the surface I think I get your point. But every athlete in virtually every sport is trying to get an edge. The level of the cheat is different for everyone and we tend to forgive or defend our own. Mike Thomas got suspended this year for PEDs. I don’t hear many of us calling him a cheater

nighttrain

Legend
I hear ya, but half the NFL does exactly what Armstrong did. You watch a sport in which likely everyone has done some type of PED at some point.

I’m not trying to argue because on the surface I think I get your point. But every athlete in virtually every sport is trying to get an edge. The level of the cheat is different for everyone and we tend to forgive or defend our own. Mike Thomas got suspended this year for PEDs. I don’t hear many of us calling him a cheater
Thomas did his time, all the others were Fish and the Bountyhunter
train

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Individual athletes trying to get an edge, is significantly less odious than a HC directing a cameraman to film other teams practices in order to gain a team wide unfair advantage in the biggest of games.

"It's like they knew what we plays we were running beforehand"
~Marshall Faulk about Super Bowl 36

comparing a juiced player to a concerted effort by a teams coaching staff to steal a teams game plan prior to a Super Bowl, is not only a ridiculous comparison, but really diminishes the importance of the injury done to the victims by the cheaters..

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
At least they lost honestly back then with Steve Grogan (70's), instead of winning some Super Bowls the way they did with Brady.

Yeah my dad and I were pissed off about that roughing the passer call vs the Raiders in the 1976 playoffs. Though I did enjoy Oakland thrashing the Vikings after that stupid blocked kick for TD game.