Needing a #1 WR....Really?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
But I'm also OK with not drafting watkins and getting a Matthews or Robinson in the trade down then finishing the Defense and letting our young WRs Develope I have fath in the guys on our roster improving especially Tavon and Bailey

tbux

Rookie
I'd rather have Matthews/Robinson. Think Dennard will be gone by 13. :)

In my scenario we would get one of those guys- so basically it is Watkins vs Dennard in our dream scenarios- and I would take Watkins all day every day.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Like I've already affirmed in one thread, I think with a combination of Zac Stacy, Bradford and a big guy like Evans who can be a reliable endzone guy, we can get away with not having a conventional number 1.

tbux

Rookie
Like I've already affirmed in one thread, I think with a combination of Zac Stacy, Bradford and a big guy like Evans who can be a reliable endzone guy, we can get away with not having a conventional number 1.

WHy get away though? Britt is another big guy- I think Evans isnt in e pic much anymore. jmho.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
WHy get away though? Britt is another big guy- I think Evans isnt in e pic much anymore. jmho.
Just in the context of the norm, we could get away without having a number 1 in a league where everyone expects you to have one.

I'm rooting for Britt's success as much as anybody at this point, but he's coming off a bad injury and many altercations with the law that he could have avoided if he just used his head. I don't think we should bank everything on him being the guy, as Fisher himself said, since it won't affect how they look at WRs in the draft.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Why in the hell would you draft Evans in the first if you dont think he can be a #1??? I think he is the current NFL model of what a #1 should look like Big strong fast enough and great hands. While I like watkins more I think Evans has #1 written all over him and wouldnt have a problem with the rams drafting him at 13 if he slipped. But if they Rams think like you do then theres no reason to waste a first round pick on a WR you view as just a redzone guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have stayed away from these debates now for well over a month now but for some reason desire to enter the hot nasty smelly smoked fill area once again.

I see major needs in two major areas #1 OL's & #2 is DB's where four to five prospects at the bare minimum are needed in these two areas. After those I see one need for a youthful QB. Selecting a WR or a DE with that first pick now puts the Rams draft in a tough positions trying to fill these major needs that were not filled in free agency. I am sure that this organization does not want to go through this draft in this position but have the opportunities to take BPA through out the draft when needed.

Rams have a vacancies ....starting OG post, a starting Nickle position, Swing OT position and a starting OLT undergoing a major rehabbing event & your most important player (QB) on this Ram roster coming back from a major injury. I do not see where Sammy Watkins helps the Rams in any of these major issues. IMO the Watkins selection would place the Rams in a weaken state.

Rams have signed under contract eight WR's on roster. They are all either 25 or younger. Fisher has two first rounders, one 2nd rounder, two 3rd rounders, on 4th rounder & two UDFA's. That's not a bad WR cadre to develop. Better than most NFL teams IMO. Key would seem to be development of latent highly skilled & talented receivers. I sure see a large cadre of untapped potential. I just do not see any reason to spend an second overall draft selection on a receiver where there is no need unless he is a true elite can not pass on player. Sammy Watkins is very good but does not meet that criteria but I do see Jadeveon Clowney as one.

#1-Britt 25-5 1st rd pk/09
#2-Pettis 25-4 3rd rd pk/11
#3-Givens 24-3 4th rd pk/12
#4-Quick 24-3 2nd rd pk/12
#5-Austin 23-2 1st rd pk/13
#6-Bailey 23-2 3rd rd pk/13
#7-Veltung 23-2 UDFA
#8-Blake 22-R UDFA

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I have stayed away from these debates now for well over a month now but for some reason desire to enter the hot nasty smelly smoked fill area once again.

I see major needs in two major areas #1 OL's & #2 is DB's where four to five prospects at the bare minimum are needed in these two areas. After those I see one need for a youthful QB. Selecting a WR or a DE with that first pick now puts the Rams draft in a tough positions trying to fill these major needs that were not filled in free agency. I am sure that this organization does not want to go through this draft in this position but have the opportunities to take BPA through out the draft when needed.

Rams have a vacancies ....starting OG post, a starting Nickle position, Swing OT position and a starting OLT undergoing a major rehabbing event & your most important player (QB) on this Ram roster coming back from a major injury. I do not see where Sammy Watkins helps the Rams in any of these major issues. IMO the Watkins selection would place the Rams in a weaken state.

Rams have signed under contract eight WR's on roster. They are all either 25 or younger. Fisher has two first rounders, one 2nd rounder, two 3rd rounders, on 4th rounder & two UDFA's. That's not a bad WR cadre to develop. Better than most NFL teams IMO. Key would seem to be development of latent highly skilled & talented receivers. I sure see a large cadre of untapped potential. I just do not see any reason to spend an second overall draft selection on a receiver where there is no need unless he is a true elite can not pass on player. Sammy Watkins is very good but does not meet that criteria.

#1-Britt 25-5 1st rd pk/09
#2-Pettis 25-4 3rd rd pk/11
#3-Givens 24-3 4th rd pk/12
#4-Quick 24-3 2nd rd pk/12
#5-Austin 23-2 1st rd pk/13
#6-Bailey 23-2 3rd rd pk/13
#7-Veltung 23-2 UDFA
#8-Blake 22-R UDFA

With a trade down(which I think there is about a 75% chance of that happening) and picking up an extra second rounder and maybe another pick I think we can fill all the holes your mention. We can get a saftey and corner in the first and second round and use the other second rounder on a guy like Morgan Moses a devolpemental swing tackle who could be very good playing inside if need be and your good to go, of course the key to all this working is Long being ready to go week one. Everything weve heard out of Rams park is that he will be so we should be good to go. I also think people keep forgeting about Barrett Jones and Brandon Washington. I think with a year of NFL strength and conditioning Barrett will be ready to go and start at any of the 3 inside positions on the line and they Obviously like somthing about Washington for them to have kept him around this long so I think were better off than most people think on the Oline.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Why in the hell would you draft Evans in the first if you dont think he can be a #1??? I think he is the current NFL model of what a #1 should look like Big strong fast enough and great hands. While I like watkins more I think Evans has #1 written all over him and wouldnt have a problem with the rams drafting him at 13 if he slipped. But if they Rams think like you do then theres no reason to waste a first round pick on a WR you view as just a redzone guy.
I don't think of Evans as an end zone guy, but I also don't think of him as a conventional number one who our offense lives and dies by, don't get me wrong I think Evans will bring a lot to the table for us, but I'm mostly sticking to the idea of him being a big, reliable target in the end zone because we don't have anything like that. Pettis is the closest, and his consistency is suspect at best.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We have Cook, Kendricks, Quick, Pettis and Britt who are all 6'3 plus With bradfor back at QB I would hope since 75% of our recieving options are big guys at least one or 2 of them will step up and be that Redzone threat your talking about.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I could argue this either way about going oline and not drafting any WRs or getting Watkins or Evans early then filling the rest of our holes and honestly I dont think we can go wrong either way. This draft is so deep and were in such a good position its gonna be hard for them to mess this up. No matter what happends were gonna add some serious talent to this roster and compete for a division title this year.

iced

It is getting to the point where some posters are losing their mind obsessing over the Rams and their "desperate need" for a #1 WR. Why? How many playoff teams last year had a "true #1 WR" ?

The SB Champs never had a #1.

Yet they gave up a 1st, 3rd and a 7th to get one that didn't play much this past season. they also spent big money on sidney rice a few years ago in trying to fix the position.

Niners played most of the season without a #1, and I doubt Crabtree played like one when he came back and as good as Boldin is, he is no longer a #1.

Uhhh Anquan Boldin? Whom they traded for in the off season? Also racked up over 1000 yards. (No ram broke 700).
The Packers do not have #1. The Saints do not have a #1, but do have a great TE.
The Packers have Jordy Nelson and Randall cobb, while also continually pumping out receivers that other teams signs. They draft well, and coach well.

Saints have Marques Colston as their #1.

Colts have Reggie Wayne, Chiefs have Dwayne Bowe...

I severely disagree with your post.... but i do think one thing that is happening is people are confusing a "#1 receiver" with "Starting caliber receiver" - which imo, we have neither. On all those teams you just listed, can you honestly say that Brian Quick, Chris Givens or austin Pettis would be in the starting lineup?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was more excited about the Bailey pick than the Austin pick last year.
When Bailey finally got to play, he looked like the best wr on the field field for us.
If Givens can break out of his sophomore slump, I think we'll be fine. I love his speed out there.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I don't think of Evans as an end zone guy, but I also don't think of him as a conventional number one who our offense lives and dies by, don't get me wrong I think Evans will bring a lot to the table for us, but I'm mostly sticking to the idea of him being a big, reliable target in the end zone because we don't have anything like that. Pettis is the closest, and his consistency is suspect at best.

Yet they gave up a 1st, 3rd and a 7th to get one that didn't play much this past season. they also spent big money on sidney rice a few years ago in trying to fix the position.

Uhhh Anquan Boldin? Whom they traded for in the off season? Also racked up over 1000 yards. (No ram broke 700).

The Packers have Jordy Nelson and Randall cobb, while also continually pumping out receivers that other teams signs. They draft well, and coach well.

Saints have Marques Colston as their #1.

Colts have Reggie Wayne, Chiefs have Dwayne Bowe...

I severely disagree with your post.... but i do think one thing that is happening is people are confusing a "#1 receiver" with "Starting caliber receiver" - which imo, we have neither. On all those teams you just listed, can you honestly say that Brian Quick, Chris Givens or austin Pettis would be in the starting lineup?

Out of all the guys you just listed with the exception of Boldin all took till year 2 or 3 to develop which all our guys will be coming into year 2 or 3. So you have your mind already made up that none of these guys are gonna turn into the players we thought they could be when we drafted them?? I sure havent given up hope on any of them except for pettis who is a solid player but will never be a game changer. Quick was on the verge of having a monster game against the panthers untill bradford got hurt it looked like the light was coming on. Givens had the sophmore slumps and was playing through some injuries last year. Tavon and Baily both were coming on twards the end of the season and I have no reason to think they wont take a big step forward in there second year. I just dont think we can count these guys out yet there all very young and very talented players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With a trade down(which I think there is about a 75% chance of that happening) and picking up an extra second rounder and maybe another pick I think we can fill all the holes your mention.
I would say that I am not one who thinks there will be any reason for any team to trade with us @ #2. Once two of the QB's pro days were disappointing & the other with more burs that a top five pick should have the Texans take Clowney. Now so now who wants to trade up now??? IMO a trade down from #2 is highly doubtful so that would be one big reason we would not agree here.

We can get a saftey and corner in the first and second round
I know of no safety prospect worthy of using a 1.13 pick on reach &reaching? There are three teams who draft before us @ 1.13 that have serious needs @ CB so this is a tough call here. I see the possibility of a trade down from the 1.13 as a probable than from the 1.2 selection. Snead may be able to get a third rounder from a trade down here like last yr. This is where I see the QB's going off the boards.

and use the other second rounder on a guy like Morgan Moses a devolpemental swing tackle who could be very good playing inside if need be and your good to go, of course the key to all this working is Long being ready to go week one. Everything weve heard out of Rams park is that he will be so we should be good to go.
First off I do not care what ongoing sell job about Jake Long's readiness game one...I am not buying it. I consider it very doubtful and therefore we need a NON developmental swing OT prospect in this draft and if we need one you better get one very early and the third round is about one day late on that.

I also think people keep forgeting about Barrett Jones and Brandon Washington. I think with a year of NFL strength and conditioning Barrett will be ready to go and start at any of the 3 inside positions on the line and they Obviously like somthing about Washington for them to have kept him around this long so I think were better off than most people think on the Oline.
I Rams lost OT/OG Chris Williams & ORG/OLG Shelley Smith in free agency. Yes I agree with you & I believe Barrett Jones as replacing OG Shelley Smith. Brandon Washington can not replace Chris Williams ability to start @ OLT/ORT. Not sure I want to trust Washington opening holes for Stacy or protecting Bradford yet or starting in place of Williams @ OLG. Washington one NFL game in wk 17 last year was a disaster. There in lies the main issue.

I answered directly in BOLD above.Snead still needs remain @ a starting OG and a swing OT ready to start in place of Long from this draft. Lets fix this OL first.

F. Mulder

Starter
We need people who can propel the offense. That obviously starts with Bradford and I am going to be hard on him this year (not that I haven't before) because now is the time to show who and what you are. However, Stacy has shown he can propel the offense and, although somewhat unproven, I think the backups can do damage as well. The OL needs 1-2 new starters and they WILL get that out of this draft. For me it comes down to the WR. I agree with many who say you don't need a true #1 to win, however, this collective group needs to find its niche and succeed at that and I will be on the bandwagon. You have Austin who is Go Go Gadget, Quick who has first round talent but 4th round dedication and production at this point, Bailey-who seems to have glue for hands and only the ability to get open and make the big catch (I see him as a Proehl type complementary WR) but at this point has played something like 4 games, Pettis- who has great hands but so-so speed, Cook-who has the skills of anyone but like Quick lacks the production he is capable of, Kendricks-who never met a jugs machine he liked but is VERY skilled an talented when it clicks for him, Givens-who is Cliff Branch without the production because lord knows his hands and route running and avoidance over the middle is frankly frightening.

IF you can come up with a combo of Austin/Bailey/Quick or Austin/Bailey/Givens and they do their specified roles as desired, you can win with them as a group. Right now the clamoring for Watkins, or even Evans (and to a lesser degree Lee) is based on guys who can make a difference in a game based on 1-4 plays. IF the existing group and coaches (forgot to add Britt who I'm not a fan of) can find a role for this group and they can carry it out then the sky is the limit. BUT if you have the Keystone Cops out there then no QB/OL/RB is going to get it done during the long haul.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Assuming Rams fill the holes on the lines and secondary adequately in both scenarios, I look at it like this:

Will adding Watkins make the Rams O the best in the NFCW this season?

Will adding Clowney make the Rams D the best in the NFCW this season?

I can't help but think the later is more likely. WRs take time to develop. Clowney, with some good coaching and by way of his athleticism alone, could potentially make the Rams very very scary game one.

Bradford / Watkins or Quinn / Clowney?

For me it's Quinn Clowney all day long.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There are a couple who'll argue about it with you for days and days if you're interested. :fighting: :LOL:[/QUOTE]

I'm here to argue that point.:fighting:

iced

Out of all the guys you just listed with the exception of Boldin all took till year 2 or 3 to develop which all our guys will be coming into year 2 or 3. So you have your mind already made up that none of these guys are gonna turn into the players we thought they could be when we drafted them?? I sure havent given up hope on any of them except for pettis who is a solid player but will never be a game changer. Quick was on the verge of having a monster game against the panthers untill bradford got hurt it looked like the light was coming on. Givens had the sophmore slumps and was playing through some injuries last year. Tavon and Baily both were coming on twards the end of the season and I have no reason to think they wont take a big step forward in there second year. I just dont think we can count these guys out yet there all very young and very talented players.

All those guys also showed a lot more at the same point in their careers, so theres that difference too.

Givens hasn't had a touchdown in 22 games w/ bradford - thats last year and the year before.

I'm not saying cut these guys - but i haven't seen enough out of them that makes me go "yea we're looking good here for the future"

BTW - the one who is most likely to lose snaps to Britt is Quick, so that does say something since they didn't want to sign anyone who would take reps/snaps from guys unless they were a clear upgrade

Last edited: