Needing a #1 WR....Really?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It is getting to the point where some posters are losing their mind obsessing over the Rams and their "desperate need" for a #1 WR. Why? How many playoff teams last year had a "true #1 WR" ?

The SB Champs never had a #1.

Niners played most of the season without a #1, and I doubt Crabtree played like one when he came back and as good as Boldin is, he is no longer a #1.

The Packers do not have #1. The Saints do not have a #1, but do have a great TE.

The Pats do not have a #1, nor do the Chargers, Colts or Chiefs. The Broncos do I guess in Thomas, but their offense was predicated on spreading it around to 4 main targets. That is what made them special, that and Manning, yet they were thumped by a team without a decorated wr corp.

Point is some feel that the elusive #1 WR is the end all be all, yet if anything I think the trend will be to get more physical on offense in order to deal with defenses like Seattle's and San Fran's....and with the Rams residing in the same division, I think it is logical the Rams realize they must do the same....I think that Thurs Night SF game proved that not to mention all of their Division road games.

Alan

Legend
I surrender Philly! ;)
There aren't that many here who insist we need one. Probably only about a third of us.

There are a couple who'll argue about it with you for days and days if you're interested. Have at it Philly. Just look for a bloody avatar and poke them with a stick. :fighting: :LOL:

Last edited:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Let's see, how did the teams that had Megatron, Dez, AJ Green, Fitz, and Julio Jones do last year? Any of them win a playoff game? Nope.

One of the problems we have is we think our current group of WRs aren't gonna improve enough to be at least as good as some of the WR corps of the playoff teams. They certainly should. And Bradford needs to step up and help them be good.

tbux

Rookie
not a necessity- but surely a good thing to have don't you think? and we have nothing close right now to many of those teams and receivers you mentioned. They all have more reliable targets than we do- #1 or not.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I fully expect Tavon and Stedman to be solid contributors this year. People who expect Watkins to come in and be a #1 are loopy. Give our young studs time!! Givens and Cook should be solid as well this year with Sam back at the helm. Honestly, I think Quick is a dummy, and Snead got too cute with that pick, but we will spread the ball around and be effective even if he doesn't catch on. I honestly wouldn't be terrible surprised to see Britt get himself in on the action, assuming he can keep his head out of his ass. Call me an optimist.......for now.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
As much as I would love for the Rams to draft Sammy Watkins, I cant say that he is needed. He would however be fun to watch against our division opponents. I think he could bring a physicality to the passing game and would love to see him punk Sherman. But if the Rams pass on him I dont want to see him in the NFC west.

tbux

Rookie
I don't think Clowney, Robinson, Matthews or Watkins is needed- but each would help our team improve. Watkins improves our wr corp significantly. he is the real deal.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm one who believes we need some ELITE talent outside the numbers. I don't believe we can stress a D enough with our current WR Corp.

I wouldn't expect Watkins to light up the league in his rookie year,,, but I would expect his "threat" to make our entire offense more effective immediately. He'll make some highlight reel plays too.

Still crossing fingers.

tbux

Rookie
I'm one who believes we need some ELITE talent outside the numbers. I don't believe we can stress a D enough with our current WR Corp.

I wouldn't expect Watkins to light up the league in his rookie year,,, but I would expect his "threat" to make our entire offense more effective immediately. He'll make some highlight reel plays too.

Still crossing fingers.

much agreed

Alan

Legend
See what happens when you poke a hornets nest PhillyRam?
images

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its a nice to have and even great to have if you have a strong defense and a great OL to go with it. However, with a suspect OL and a defense that still has a few holes, it is not a priority this year, especially with a young WR corp that deserves a chance to develop.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We already have a number one receiver... You guys didn't hear we signed Kenny Britt?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Donovan McNabb thinks Cam Newton’s plight sounds familiar
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 4, 2014

cam-huggling-mcnabb.jpg
Reuters

Donovan McNabb is worried about Cam Newton.

Primarily because he sees so many parallels to his own career.

The former Eagles quarterback, who rarely had sufficient weapons around him in the passing game, said the Panthers are running a huge risk after releasing Steve Smith and letting the rest of their receivers walk in free agency.

“Oh, I would be worried,” McNabb told David Newton of ESPN.com. “First of all, I didn’t have a top wide receiver until pretty much T.O. [Terrell Owens] got there.

“For him, I’m just wondering what they are doing to build around him? You lose Brandon LaFell, you lose Steve Smith, Ted Ginn [Jr.'s] gone. All you have at this point is Greg Olsen.”

It was then mentioned that the Panthers had signed Jerricho Cotchery, and McNabb replied: “Greg Olsen.”

Panthers coach Ron Rivera has downplayed the need for a true number one receiver, but McNabb wasn’t buying that.

“I hate when teams [say] that,” McNabb said. “Who are they, Bill Belichick and the Patriots now?”

“But you’ve still got to give him some help,” he said of Newton. “The quarterback is only as good as the people around him. If you don’t ever want him to throw to a player that can create big plays out of the passing game, it’s not going to go well.”

So there you go, Panthers fans. Sign Owens, and it’s all better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why is the NFC West the best division in football? Is it because of all the #1 receivers running around winning games? Maybe its the elite QB's.
Nope.
Defense, ground game, pass protection and play action. Its not rocket science.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Its a nice to have and even great to have if you have a strong defense and a great OL to go with it. However, with a suspect OL and a defense that still has a few holes, it is not a priority this year, especially with a young WR corp that deserves a chance to develop.
So if the Rams traded down a bit, still were able to get Watkins, one of the top DBs in Dennard/Gilbert/Dix/Pryor, and nab a Yankey/Filo and Bitonio/James in the 2nd would that be acceptable? I'm of the mindset that if played right, we could have our cake and eat that bitch too!

tbux

Rookie
Or even better- trade down get Watkins- then trade up and get Robinson/Matthews/Lewan with the picks you got from the trade down. Is there anything better than that scenario? then go Secondary with 2 of next 3 picks. I would be estatic.

Do elite players at any position=elite teams?
WRs: 5 all pros, 2 teams made the playoffs
TEs: 2 all pros, both made the playoffs
OT: 4 all pros, 2 made the playoffs
S: 8 all pros, 5 made the playoffs (counting Seattle twice)
RBs: 4 all pros, 3 made the playoffs
QBs: 1, 1 made the playoffs
P: 2, 0.
OLB: 4, 3.
KR: 2, 1.
K: 2, 1.
ILB: 4, 3.
G: 5, 5.
FB: 2, 1.
DT: 6, 2.
DE: 4, 1.
CB: 5, 2.
C: 2, 1.

So using that list to make a very inaccurate order of position importance:

TE, QB, OG
RB, OLB, ILB
S
OT, KR, K, FB, C
WR, CB
DT
DE
P

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Or even better- trade down get Watkins- then trade up and get Robinson/Matthews/Lewan with the picks you got from the trade down. Is there anything better than that scenario? then go Secondary with 2 of next 3 picks. I would be estatic.
Better still would be trade down and get O tackle and trade up for Dennard!

tbux

Rookie
Dont think we would have to trade up for Dennard. You'd rather have Dennard than Watkins?

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think best case senario if there sure longs gonna start week 1 is to trade down draft watkins then CB or saftey hopfully having 2 second round picks from the trade down we then go Oline and CB/saftey whichever we didnt get in the first round and boom CHAMPIONSHIP!