NBC's Olympics coverage is awful

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is anyone else having trouble watching this year's games? Does NBC not realize there are other events besides swimming and gymnastics? You would think the way the coverage has been, the U.S. has only 7 athletes: Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, and the women's gymnastics team. Everyone else, ehh no one cares. Even basketball is getting the shaft. Also, I'm sick of seeing sap stories on athletes with over the top, in your face inspiration. It makes me cringe and want to punch things.

Announcers are so serious and critical. Not fun to listen to at all. As awful as NFL announcers are, at least they can crack a smile now and then.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is how it is now with nearly every sport....
LeBron, Curry and few other stars and no one else gets a mention.
Brady, Rogers, the Cowboys and who else?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah the NBC prime time is my least favorite part of the Olympics, which makes perfect sense since obviously it's aimed at a different demographic than me, like most TV. Just remember there's 3 other channels going all day plus online streaming of every event. So I will watch live during day when I can, but usually end up watching recorded stuff when I get home as my prime time. Then the main NBC stuff if time allows, with generous portions of fast-forwarding thru the lame "life stories" crap and when the swimming or volleyball or gymnastics or whatever coverage becomes superfluous.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Typical yanks all wrapped up in what you're doing and nothing else.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

I met a sound mixer the other day who said his best childhood memory was driving 15 miles north to Exeter....
Well my childhood memory of getting Crossbows and Catapults for Christmas isn't even in my Top Ten best memories, but I think that game beats any trip to Exeter I can think of :LOL:- he also claimed to be dating a girl back in the UK and he owned a 1/2 acre parcel in a subdivision in Montana cause he said he was once a prepper. I asked him if he shot guns and he said he couldn't. What kinda person would seek to hide from the government only to end up paying HOA fees in Montana? Oh yes our friend and sound mixer from Slaverton (? I'll need to check a map)

I just got back from London and your TV sort of sucks - it's all antique and property hunting shows with the occasional Minder episode mixed in - our critique of NBC is worthy of note for your Brits cause we know our TV - now I know you're way cooler than Sam the sound engineer but it's all I got to go on hahahha

so as far as being wrapped up in 100% PURE AMERICAN BADASSNESS - yes I'm totally guilty-- GO USA!!!
Hahhaha
image.jpg

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Diets son I have no idea what you're going on about but I like it so thumbs up! I'm off to sleep, night night.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Less swimming :help: More women's beach volleyball please.....:mustache:

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I met a sound mixer the other day who said his best childhood memory was driving 15 miles north to Exeter....
Well my childhood memory of getting Crossbows and Catapults for Christmas isn't even in my Top Ten best memories, but I think that game beats any trip to Exeter I can think of :LOL:- he also claimed to be dating a girl back in the UK and he owned a 1/2 acre parcel in a subdivision in Montana cause he said he was once a prepper. I asked him if he shot guns and he said he couldn't. What kinda person would seek to hide from the government only to end up paying HOA fees in Montana? Oh yes our friend and sound mixer from Slaverton (? I'll need to check a map)

I just got back from London and your TV sort of sucks - it's all antique and property hunting shows with the occasional Minder episode mixed in - our critique of NBC is worthy of note for your Brits cause we know our TV - now I know you're way cooler than Sam the sound engineer but it's all I got to go on hahahha

so as far as being wrapped up in 100% PURE AMERICAN BADASSNESS - yes I'm totally guilty-- GO USA!!!
Hahhaha
View attachment 15468

Crossbows and Catapults was the best game ever !!! Have wonderful memories of firing those discs into walls !

That was a brilliant swim by Simone Manuel in the 100m Freestyle -- OR and huge PR -- unfortunately beat out the Aussie girls but it was a tremendous swim.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Really don't understand how anyone can complain about what is being covered when every moment of every event is being shown live. There's I think at least 8 NBC networks carrying events and if you don't find it there, it's streamed live online. Watched Fiji win the Gold medal in Rugby yesterday, that was gripping stuff to see a country win it's first medal. And if you don't like the swimming coverage, I don't know what to say, Michael Phelps performance is one for the ages, enjoy the moment, likely won't come again in our lifetime or several to lifetimes to come.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Funny. I was watching a volleyball game and it seemed the announcers wanted the other team to win. Pissed me off. Oh... you were saying about us yanks? Got one thing to say. SCOREBOARD!!!!

Less swimming :help: More women's beach volleyball please.....:mustache:
What's with the yoga pants instead of bikini bottoms? I call foul!

BTW - The two US women Gymnasts were freaking amazing last night. Just freaking amazing!

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really don't understand how anyone can complain about what is being covered when every moment of every event is being shown live. There's I think at least 8 NBC networks carrying events and if you don't find it there, it's streamed live online. Watched Fiji win the Gold medal in Rugby yesterday, that was gripping stuff to see a country win it's first medal. And if you don't like the swimming coverage, I don't know what to say, Michael Phelps performance is one for the ages, enjoy the moment, likely won't come again in our lifetime or several to lifetimes to come.

On tv tho? That's where most people still watch the event. The other sports take place during the day when people are working, so its not like they all have access to live streams or tv.

I didn't say I didn't like swimming coverage, I'm saying they cover it TOO much, same with women's gymnastics. Other U.S. sports get the shaft.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On tv tho? That's where most people still watch the event. The other sports take place during the day when people are working, so its not like they all have access to live streams or tv.

I didn't say I didn't like swimming coverage, I'm saying they cover it TOO much, same with women's gymnastics. Other U.S. sports get the shaft.
But the swimming/gymnastics are at night while the other events were during the day, shown live
In years past they've tried showing delayed events in prime time and it gets terrible ratings, most people get the results

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

I watch anything I want on TV. I go to the NBCsports website, pick the event I want to watch and chromecast it to the tv. Works great. I know some have had issues with the feeds, but so far, none for me..

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
After the men's 100m the announcer was just yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack yack

Just shut the fuck up for a minute

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
But the swimming/gymnastics are at night while the other events were during the day, shown live
In years past they've tried showing delayed events in prime time and it gets terrible ratings, most people get the results

I understand that, I just feel this year it's way more focused on than others. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I watch anything I want on TV. I go to the NBCsports website, pick the event I want to watch and chromecast it to the tv. Works great. I know some have had issues with the feeds, but so far, none for me..

Not everyone is that tech savvy. I think you'd be surprised how many just watch regular tv without all the gadgets.

Athos

Legend
Gymnastics coverage was no more than usual as far as the actual prime time showing gets. And women's gymnastics and live swimming is where all the numbers come from. Gymnastics are tape delay though. They happen during the day which is when I've caught them. Hell, they delay the gymnastics till SUPER FUCKING LATE. Which is another reason I watch live. I prefer the evening broadcast because the day time guys and gal don't ever shut the fuck up.

As for swimming. I think it was overboard only in showing EVERY heat imaginable. Nothing wrong with all the semi's and finals. That's where the fun action is. Hell, I get more excited for swimming than track and field these days. Super boring.
-----

Random thoughts:

The FUCK is dressage still an Olympic Sport? Fuck that shit and fuck this horse crap in general, derby included. Hate it. Fucking BS. It's basically the same as circus animals to me though no one will ever admit that.

Also.... water dancing. Olympic sport why?

You know what they should add to the Summer Games? Fucking Ninja Warrior. THAT would get ratings, just like the Halfpipe brought in viewership for the Winter Games.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Dressage is other level shit and everyone associated with getting it in the olympics should be ashamed of themselves.

Myself - I'd rather see them skip all of the qualifying heats and show us the medal events in lots of other sports - even if you don't show the full events.