My thoughts on Jared Goff's Progression. Super-Bowl Caliber QB.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sappy113

Rookie
Who can ever forget how Peyton used his cerebral approach to the game, to always figure out when and how to attack a defense, just keeping complete control of everything going on. Goff already shows a little of the same approach. Obviously he still has a lot of experience to gain, but I'm quite confident that he's so even keel he'll just quietly continue to work on perfecting his style of QBing.

I also think this O is really difficult to simply adjust to for opposing D's. McVay will keep incorporating subtle changes that'll keep the D guessing, but, as crazy as it sounds after so many years of ineptitude, the personnel on O is so varied and skilled, that alone should keep the O rolling. Goff, Pro-Bowl level RB, OL that is just taking over, and a multitude of receiving threats - coupled with the mastermind of McVay, that is a potential symphony of destruction.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO if he'd had these coaches last year it wouldn't be an issue. His Cal offense background didn't slow his development, his rookie year coaching did.

We will agree to disagree somewhat because Goff had never taken a snap under center in high school or college and that Air Raid offense under Sonny Dykes was renown for handicapping signal callers to the next level, very similar to what Art Briles ran at Baylor, overall having coaches like Boras, Weinke & Mike Grohl did not help, but IMO, the lack of calling plays and taking snaps ever under center factored in as well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

This video above is excellent. It shows Goff evolving right in-front of our eyes.

Just a few things I feel like I need to say:

Jared Goff will be an Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning type of QB in this league. What he did last night was beyond brilliant. Yes he had a couple of throws he'd like back, but he dominated the Giants with his mind. This is a cerebral QB coming out of Cal. This is the same guy who said on SI film session during the draft, I knew this corner is a first year starter, I decided to picked on him because I knew he wouldn't leave his assignment no matter what routes we ran. He then proceeded to target that CB multiple times. And that's not even the best part, Goff mentally abused that corner by playing to that CB's emotions. The more frustrated that CB got, the more Goff changed the timing of his throws in his direction.
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

It took Aaron Rodgers 3 years of coaching up from Mike McCarthy to become who he is today. I say that to say this: Sean McVay is a brilliant mind who would make Bill Walsh proud. This is the guy who is working with Jared Goff from morning til mid-night with the help of 2 other two brilliant tactical minds in Greg Olson and Matt LeFleur. Jared Goff has the mental processing speed to see what McVay sees on any play that's being called. He understands the value of timings per drop-back from center. He also understand the value of touch. Not every throw has to be a bullet. That Watkins throw, Jared Goff threw it effortlessly, in the rain mind you, and it has been confirmed to have traveled 62 yards in the air-longest throw of any QB this season. With an arc to it that caused the ball to drop like a feather right into Watkins hands, in stride. He changed Watkins route at the line of scrimmage which resulted in that 67 yard touchdown.

He just recently started to change the routes of his receivers. I don't know how much control he had during the Jaguars game but from the Cardinals (he called 70% of the plays that game at LOS) game on, he now has the ability to not only change protection at the line but also the plays and the routes. And if he gets a certain look he likes, he will take full advantage of it without any hesitation. Jared Goff has worked very hard to earn Sean McVay's trust. Jared Goff only had one bad play this game, he missed Todd Gurley on a touchdown when he targeted Kupp in their second redzone trip high. But it is forgivable because he will learn from it.

And finally, that Giants game was the first time where we really got to see his Joe Montana pocket presence that he had displayed in college. That Kupp play was beautiful, he made it look as if it were scripted by the way he reacted to the pass rush and by what he saw in against the coverage. He was pressured 30% that game and made them pay every single time except for one throw. Goff will have periods of inaccuracy as he is a rhythm QB, but when he is on point, he will rip your heart out. Almost forget to mention, you also have to account his mental toughness, he was shitted on by everyone in the media, and kept his head down and worked on his craft and will go down as one of the greatest QB to have ever played. Mark my words.

This^ is a great post, and a Fantastic Video!!

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
2 Things Goff needs to not do.

1) Get involved with a celebrity broad
2) Making commercials

Focus on the game, and he will be great.

nighttrain

Legend
I don't like to talk about it too much in fear of jinxing his development lol, but Jared has always reminded me of Brady more than anyone else. Maybe it's his footwork or his balance, his motion and release are similar too. He has all the tools to be great and now we see the mental side catching up to the physical talent.

Can't wait to see him grow and compete in big games.
Brady reminds me of Montana, best games are the big games, now it soon will be Goff's turn
train

nighttrain

Legend
want to add, Goff will make both Patsie and Whiners cry and curse the Rams for making their Sundays miserable
train

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I can't put into words how happy I was to see Goff make that throw to Watkins on the deep post. He's been overthrowing a lot of those homerun routes and he dropped that in the perfect spot. That's what I've been waiting to see from both of them all season.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
We will agree to disagree somewhat because Goff had never taken a snap under center in high school or college and that Air Raid offense under Sonny Dykes was renown for handicapping signal callers to the next level, very similar to what Art Briles ran at Baylor, overall having coaches like Boras, Weinke & Mike Grohl did not help, but IMO, the lack of calling plays and taking snaps ever under center factored in as well.

I have no problem agreeing with every word!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
At the moment, we have to concern ourselves with New Orleans, Philly, Seattle, and probably Carolina....and I wouldn't count out Detroit, Atlanta, and Washington

Check out the attributes on those teams QB's....

Until we beat these guys in games that matter...we don't know what the hell the kids gonna do...in the crunch.
It took Aaron Rodgers 3 years of coaching up from Mike McCarthy to become who he is today.
McCarthy is looking like Aaron Rodgers made HIM...not the other way around....only one super bowl with one of the greatest QB's of all time is kinda a mark on his permanent record. It's obvious he doesn't know shit about drafting.
Everyone talks arm strength, 40 time etc. for a QB, BUT the mental side of the game....recognizing, reading, adjusting etc....then the ability to find guys, progressions within the system....then accuracy and touch, these skills are more valuable.
Then finally arm strength etc.
People really evaluate things backward.
You should talk about arm strength....40 times....are nice, and they help...even QB's....

I don't dismiss what you are saying...but all top QB's have a superior grasp on the mental aspects of the game....what separates them when all else is equal???

When the windows get smaller (playoffs, top defensive teams), what enables a guy to thread the ball through the needle? Arm strength. Pure and simple.

My thoughts....

I saw a stretch...missed receivers....almost Int's....bunch of stuff...versus a beaten opponent (Giants):hiding:...Saints, Vikings, Seahawks....Panthers....defenses like that, make miss-throws....mistakes....they eat those up.

Won't be able to reply to all the comments until later...but as usual

I'll be back;)

KDS73

Rookie
that was probably a message to the producers of hard knocks. they surgeoned him bad, made him look like a dumb freak. made everybody think he was gonna be a bust.

\

Let's be honest. Goff did those things to himself. HBO just had cameras there to capture it. He did struggle last year, and he did come across as pretty dense. Especially during that whole sunrise/sunset debacle. Facepalm worthy for sure.

If anything though, we should probably be thankful that it happened. I think it forced Goff to take a good long look at himself and motivated him to become a better person and player.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Perfect, because Goff has superior arm talent, he had the most talented arm in the draft when he came out, with releases better than some of the greatest players of all time.

So no concerns there.
Yo, am I the only one who thinks Goff has a sexy throwing motion? Just the pure smoothness on top of that little snap of the wrist. Just beautiful to watch.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
\

Let's be honest. Goff did those things to himself. HBO just had cameras there to capture it. He did struggle last year, and he did come across as pretty dense. Especially during that whole sunrise/sunset debacle. Facepalm worthy for sure.

If anything though, we should probably be thankful that it happened. I think it forced Goff to take a good long look at himself and motivated him to become a better person and player.

to be fair, we have no idea what the producers were suggesting to happen while the cameras were rolling. everything looked fake and forced. the joyner segment was an embarrassment to tv drama.

we do know, however, how they presented it and they went after goff hard. making him look like an airhead. fuck them and their shit show. probably one of the worst shows i've ever seen.

chkelly

UDFA

He just recently started to change the routes of his receivers. I don't know how much control he had during the Jaguars game but from the Cardinals (he called 70% of the plays that game at LOS) game on, he now has the ability to not only change protection at the line but also the plays and the routes. And if he gets a certain look he likes, he will take full advantage of it without any hesitation. Jared Goff has worked very hard to earn Sean McVay's trust. Jared Goff only had one bad play this game, he missed Todd Gurley on a touchdown when he targeted Kupp in their second redzone trip high. But it is forgivable because he will learn from it.

good post and very interesting discussion. i'm just wondering how to observe that Goff is calling and/or changing plays at the LOS as well as the protection? is it better to view the all 22 camera view to do this? for now I'm only watching the regular TV broadcast and can see some things he does but I assumed that some of it was just posturing or perhaps snap count related motions and sounds.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
ae636f9d26f6bba7fd3af802482908c1

bluecoconuts

Legend
good post and very interesting discussion. i'm just wondering how to observe that Goff is calling and/or changing plays at the LOS as well as the protection? is it better to view the all 22 camera view to do this? for now I'm only watching the regular TV broadcast and can see some things he does but I assumed that some of it was just posturing or perhaps snap count related motions and sounds.

Typically speaking you'll see him point things out and start yelling things to the rest of the team. When the formation changes, that's him changing the play based on the defense. At least as far as I can tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was one of the concerns I had with Goff coming out of that Cal Air Raid offense and never taking a snap under center. It did slow his development last year, but under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur & Olson, Goff is totally a different player not only in the huddle, but at the line of scrimmage. Changing the plays, audibles the transformation has been quite amazing to see, let alone the improve play as well.

He was always a guy who transcended his system in college. You could see how much mental ability and potential he had. It's too bad he got stuck with Dumb and Dumber last year. Imagine where he'd be if this were his second year in McVay's scheme.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
well of course it did, but also giving all the first team snaps to a perennial back up and not coaching up the rookie also didn't help. Not to mention under cutting him in front of the team and on HBO. Fisher's history with rookie QBs tells us he never intended on starting him early in the season and he coached him that way. Slow. Fisher never coached with ergency. He always had next year. If this years staff was here last year, when Goff took the field he would have looked good.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I can't put into words how happy I was to see Goff make that throw to Watkins on the deep post. He's been overthrowing a lot of those homerun routes and he dropped that in the perfect spot. That's what I've been waiting to see from both of them all season.

Yeah, it's like all the dimensions of Goff's game are now confirmed. Defenses are now going to have to account for it, and I think it will open up our O even more. McBae says he wants them to have to defend the entire width and depth of the field, and this new connection will really pressure Ds I think.