My thoughts on Jared Goff's Progression. Super-Bowl Caliber QB.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Scirca

Rookie

This video above is excellent. It shows Goff evolving right in-front of our eyes.

Just a few things I feel like I need to say:

Jared Goff will be an Aaron Rodgers/Peyton Manning type of QB in this league. What he did last night was beyond brilliant. Yes he had a couple of throws he'd like back, but he dominated the Giants with his mind. This is a cerebral QB coming out of Cal. This is the same guy who said on SI film session during the draft, I knew this corner is a first year starter, I decided to picked on him because I knew he wouldn't leave his assignment no matter what routes we ran. He then proceeded to target that CB multiple times. And that's not even the best part, Goff mentally abused that corner by playing to that CB's emotions. The more frustrated that CB got, the more Goff changed the timing of his throws in his direction.
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/12/jared-goff-california-film-study-nfl-draft

It took Aaron Rodgers 3 years of coaching up from Mike McCarthy to become who he is today. I say that to say this: Sean McVay is a brilliant mind who would make Bill Walsh proud. This is the guy who is working with Jared Goff from morning til mid-night with the help of 2 other two brilliant tactical minds in Greg Olson and Matt LeFleur. Jared Goff has the mental processing speed to see what McVay sees on any play that's being called. He understands the value of timings per drop-back from center. He also understand the value of touch. Not every throw has to be a bullet. That Watkins throw, Jared Goff threw it effortlessly, in the rain mind you, and it has been confirmed to have traveled 62 yards in the air-longest throw of any QB this season. With an arc to it that caused the ball to drop like a feather right into Watkins hands, in stride. He changed Watkins route at the line of scrimmage which resulted in that 67 yard touchdown.

He just recently started to change the routes of his receivers. I don't know how much control he had during the Jaguars game but from the Cardinals (he called 70% of the plays that game at LOS) game on, he now has the ability to not only change protection at the line but also the plays and the routes. And if he gets a certain look he likes, he will take full advantage of it without any hesitation. Jared Goff has worked very hard to earn Sean McVay's trust. Jared Goff only had one bad play this game, he missed Todd Gurley on a touchdown when he targeted Kupp in their second redzone trip high. But it is forgivable because he will learn from it.

And finally, that Giants game was the first time where we really got to see his Joe Montana pocket presence that he had displayed in college. That Kupp play was beautiful, he made it look as if it were scripted by the way he reacted to the pass rush and by what he saw in against the coverage. He was pressured 30% that game and made them pay every single time except for one throw. Goff will have periods of inaccuracy as he is a rhythm QB, but when he is on point, he will rip your heart out. Almost forget to mention, you also have to account his mental toughness, he was shitted on by everyone in the media, and kept his head down and worked on his craft and will go down as one of the greatest QB to have ever played. Mark my words.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest things to me aren't the stats. It's Goff's mental acuity. He's 23 years old and already running our offense like a veteran QB. How many guys are this good at getting their offense into the right play at the LOS at such a young age?

It's clear that he has all the ability mentally, and that will take him as far as he wants to go.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The biggest things to me aren't the stats. It's Goff's mental acuity. He's 23 years old and already running our offense like a veteran QB. How many guys are this good at getting their offense into the right play at the LOS at such a young age?

It's clear that he has all the ability mentally, and that will take him as far as he wants to go.

That's what blows my mind. The arm talent, the mental processing speed, the calmness, the confidence, and the amount of improvement he is displaying game to game, its just amazing honestly, he is in the mix for the MVP.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He reminds me more of Brady. He is patient, hits all his receivers, throws to the guy who gets open. Uses his check downs to set up the deep ball. Manipulates the pocket.....like Brady did when he was young and will continue to improve there. Hits guys in his short game in stride and protects his receivers. The more I watch Goff the more he reminds me of how Brady plays. Not saying he is going to be as good but the styles and approach are so similar.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
That's what blows my mind. The arm talent, the mental processing speed, the calmness, the confidence, and the amount of improvement he is displaying game to game, its just amazing honestly, he is in the mix for the MVP.
And his determination and inner self confidence. Not many guys could have come out of last year with the inner resolve to say, publicly, we're going to fix this. And mean it. That was before McVay. And now Goff is doing it.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Jared Goff has a message to all the haters and nay sayers.

c5nLJAs.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Let's see how he does vs the defenses of the Vikes, Shehawks, and Eagles in big, playoff-level matchups down the stretch here before we say he's arrived as a Super Bowl QB.

I think he's capable of winning one of course, since that list has guys who were subpar. But in general I'd say he's still got to prove how far we think he's come along in those big games.

What I'm hoping for is a statement game from him when they go into Seattle, with a big win. And a win in one of the two games vs the Vikes and Eagles. If that happens, then he deserves that statement. But for right now even though I'm high as F on him I would not yet call him a Super Bowl caliber guy. He's climbing to that for sure, but that path has to go through top defenses in single elimination and I think he's gotta earn that still.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Let's see how he does vs the defenses of the Vikes, Shehawks, and Eagles in big, playoff-level matchups down the stretch here before we say he's arrived as a Super Bowl QB.

I think he's capable of winning one of course, since that list has guys who were subpar. But in general I'd say he's still got to prove how far we think he's come along in those big games.

What I'm hoping for is a statement game from him when they go into Seattle, with a big win. And a win in one of the two games vs the Vikes and Eagles. If that happens, then he deserves that statement. But for right now even though I'm high as F on him I would not yet call him a Super Bowl caliber guy. He's climbing to that for sure, but that path has to go through top defenses in single elimination and I think he's gotta earn that still.
A win is a statement game.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
We can beat any zone team, that is for sure. I don't have problems with Goff, but I do have problems with our WRs not beating man coverage. I am not sure Goff can throw the ball at 2.7 seconds, consistently, because the separation by the WRs isn't good enough---yet. When this happens, they will be the best. When we 'overcome' man on man coverage, then we go from a 10-6 team to a 13-3 team. Only opinions...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff has a message to all the haters and nay sayers.

c5nLJAs.gif

that was probably a message to the producers of hard knocks. they surgeoned him bad, made him look like a dumb fuck. made everybody think he was gonna be a bust.

well who's laughing now. goff is playing like an all pro and hard knocks is still a shit show.

MachS

Hall of Fame
He reminds me more of Brady. He is patient, hits all his receivers, throws to the guy who gets open. Uses his check downs to set up the deep ball. Manipulates the pocket.....like Brady did when he was young and will continue to improve there. Hits guys in his short game in stride and protects his receivers. The more I watch Goff the more he reminds me of how Brady plays. Not saying he is going to be as good but the styles and approach are so similar.

I don't like to talk about it too much in fear of jinxing his development lol, but Jared has always reminded me of Brady more than anyone else. Maybe it's his footwork or his balance, his motion and release are similar too. He has all the tools to be great and now we see the mental side catching up to the physical talent.

Can't wait to see him grow and compete in big games.

TexasRam

Legend
that was probably a message to the producers of hard knocks. they surgeoned him bad, made him look like a dumb freak. made everybody think he was gonna be a bust.

well who's laughing now. goff is playing like an all pro and hard knocks is still a crap show.

l0fb.gif

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't like to talk about it too much in fear of jinxing his development lol, but Jared has always reminded me of Brady more than anyone else. Maybe it's his footwork or his balance, his motion and release are similar too. He has all the tools to be great and now we see the mental side catching up to the physical talent.

Can't wait to see him grow and compete in big games.

I don’t like to mention it either lol. Because of where I live I have seen Brady up close for 17 years now. When I watch Goff it’s like watching a younger Brady. I love that McVay surrounded Goff with great route runners. I love thst they like to use the TEs.

Like you excited to see mental development of Goff.

Ram65

Legend
Those throws were better than I thought. Great that he is calling 70% of plays. Giants didn't get much pressure. Let's keep seeing the growth and make a playoff run first.

fearsomefour

Legend

Amen.
Everyone talks arm strength, 40 time etc. for a QB, BUT the mental side of the game....recognizing, reading, adjusting etc....then the ability to find guys, progressions within the system....then accuracy and touch, these skills are more valuable.
Then finally arm strength etc.
People really evaluate things backward.
Anyway, McVay coaching has a good deal to do with it too. The QB coach as well, has a pretty good track record developing guys.
I read in the offseason, forget where, Whitworth saying McVay was the best communicator he had ever been around in terms of coaching offense. That statement really caught my eye. Savey veterans with years of experience don't just say things like that....first inclination that the Rams may have someone very good with McVay.
That said, there will be ups and downs. Goff is not a finished product yet. Defenses will adjust to McVays O at some point (although every week there have been new wrinkles and groupings....making adjusting very tough....this is very Martz-ian). Tests will come.
First big one may be a very skilled and balanced Eagle team.
But, even for me....the consistent pessimist....it is almost impossible to not feel great KNOWING the QB position is set for the next decade.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hate the Brady comparisons. Lets hope Goff doesn't resort to cheating and HGH.

I can't wait to see Goff's skill at QB 2 years from now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We can beat any zone team, that is for sure. I don't have problems with Goff, but I do have problems with our WRs not beating man coverage. I am not sure Goff can throw the ball at 2.7 seconds, consistently, because the separation by the WRs isn't good enough---yet. When this happens, they will be the best. When we 'overcome' man on man coverage, then we go from a 10-6 team to a 13-3 team. Only opinions...

There are ways around it, if the receivers can't escape the man coverage. Run more deep routes. Use more speedster like Reynolds an stretch the field then use the TEs and RBs to run and catch passes over the middle. I am sure by now McVay has ideas on how he will defeat Sheattle.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That was one of the concerns I had with Goff coming out of that Cal Air Raid offense and never taking a snap under center. It did slow his development last year, but under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur & Olson, Goff is totally a different player not only in the huddle, but at the line of scrimmage. Changing the plays, audibles the transformation has been quite amazing to see, let alone the improve play as well.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He just looks so completely in command of the offense and has a demeanor that just never seems to waver. What a contrast to a year ago.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was one of the concerns I had with Goff coming out of that Cal Air Raid offense and never taking a snap under center. It did slow his development last year, but under the tutelage of McVay, LaFleur & Olson, Goff is totally a different player not only in the huddle, but at the line of scrimmage. Changing the plays, audibles the transformation has been quite amazing to see, let alone the improve play as well.
IMO if he'd had these coaches last year it wouldn't be an issue. His Cal offense background didn't slow his development, his rookie year coaching did.