My rant that I'm not going to debate or comment on.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Honestly his stats are not much different now than they were in NY. Mediocre. A matter a fact his whole career has been mediocre and hes never had a offensive that cracked the top 10. I know there are many other things that can be the problem but its hard not to think hes the main problem when wherever he goes he gets the same results with diffrent players.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'm just putting it out there. Tired of the Schotty bashing. We don't have any idea if execution was the problem more than the play-calling last night. There were instances where receivers were wide open and never even got a look. There were instances where one block would have freed a big run, and for all we know there were instances where checking out of a play would have been the right thing to do, and was the wrong thing to do.

Sometimes you just get beat by a good defense. How does a team like the Raiders go in and beat up K.C., and SF and then lay a goose egg to the Rams? Is it because Greg Olson is a bad offensive coordinator (we know that's not the case), or is it because the Rams' defense got it the hell done? He doesn't have a ton to work with over there either, but I'm sure it's all his fault too. Everybody seems to love Darrell Bevell, but why couldn't he make the adjustments against us when we put the smack down on the Seahawks? Is he a crappy coach then, and a great one when they win?

Answer: Yes, according to conventional wisdom.

Getting kinda tired of all the (pick a play) complaints about the offense that result in a complete bashing of the coordinator and a call for his termination. How many coordinators can trot out a has-been and a never-was at QB (and I say that most affectionately) without their top receiver, with a rookie RB and LT, against great defenses, and pull out a win? That's commonplace? The hell was wrong with Adam Gase when the Broncos came to town? 5th ranked scoring offense in the league, and they only score once? Was it his stupid idea to draw up plays that kept them out of our endzone? Is it also Schotty's fault when they take enormous leads in a game and end up losing? Do we even know how much influence Fisher has over his scheme when they get those leads? Anyone ever hear anything about that? No. Nor have I. So it's kind of presumptuous to say it's Schotty's fault that they don't make adjustments. For all you know, he's being told to rein it in.

Easy enough to look around the league, see a big score on a scoreboard and say that's how it's done, and we should be doing the same. He freaking tried everything last night. Sweeps, bubble screens, zone busters, pitches, draws, posts, hooks, slants, picks, 9's, and nothing worked because the O-line didn't hold up or open holes, and the QB didn't see the pressure or the open receivers much of the time. And that's not even entirely THEIR fault. Did you see all the stunts and blitzes drawn up that typically work for us when we use them too? It was a defensive battle that we probably win half the time if the same exact game is played 10 times in a row. We just came out on the wrong end of this one. Arians isn't going to call his offensive game plan much different when they play a weaker team and are able to score, and neither will we. Plans work when execution is on point. Plans don't when execution isn't. The team that executes better during a game typically wins. That's just (IMO) all there is to it.

/rant.

The only things I fault him for in the game last night was the low touches for Tavon, and not using more of the screen game when Hill was getting lit up.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe that's the problem? Fisher's had 2 top 15 Os in his last 10 seasons, that's pretty atrocious. I have my doubts that we're ever going to get above .500 playing Fisher ball.

That's my wonder.... how much is Fisher driving the strategy on offense?

I think, by nature, he's a conservative guy when it comes to offense.

I'm not sure Schottenheimer is going anywher either.

And I'm not very happy about that.

MrMotes

Starter
Last night they were in an abyss they couldn't get out of. The defense did a good job keeping Arizona out of the endzone but gave up many big plays which stalled around the 50. That played into FP and really fucked the offense.

You guys complaining about JET SWEEP MOAR. Simple football...you don't do a damn jet sweep when you're inside your own 15. Same with reverses, screens, etc. You run to get some breathing room before getting your playbook out.

Plus, Arizona played well on defense too.

No one cared about Schotty last couple weeks. 1 loss and it's back to blaming the OC.

It's true, nobody complains about Schotty when GW pitches a shutout...

iced

It's true, nobody complains about Schotty when GW pitches a shutout...

He was good against the raiders, okay against the redskins..I expected more out of the redskins game, especially with how easy teams are were throwing the ball at them. To say their corners have been playing average would be an over statement

But I also want to point out how quickly people would probably jump on the guy and call him a debbie downer for "Blaming schotty"when we win - probably why you don't hear much.

But those wins the offense actually got in the end zone - we did not thursday night, and only had 2 red zone appearances. thats pretty bad offense, especially against a defense thats been very generous through the air

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I felt that Arizona beat us at our own game, they rattled Shaun Hill, who played below his average play. No shame in it. I wished we would have played better, but they played better.

Screw Arians though.

MrMotes

Starter
The point, i think, BS hasn't had a good offense since Brett Favre was a Jet in 2008. It's not knee-jerk know-nothing fans reacting to a bad game. It's season upon season of bad offenses where the one constant is BS,

The thing is, i don't think it much matters who our OC or QB are. Fisher is a defensive minded coach who wants to win with defense. And we've got a great defense. Fisher doesn't demand a lot from his offense which is why BS is acceptable. Fisher would never accept the kind of play we get from the offense from his defense...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have to admit that I was confused by a lot of the play calling yesterday. But there is the rub too. The job of the OC is to come up with a game plan that will work as long as the players are pulling it off. In many cases, against NFL level coaches, that means doing things they don't expect in a given situation.

Yesterday, it sure looked like the players responsible for executing the game plan were as confused as I was. Could be just my perception (likely) or just really bad execution along with really good defense. Either way, the OC calls a game, the offense is responsible for executing it and if it works, the players and OC look good. If not - it seems to be easiest to zero in on the OC rather than the 11 - 15 players on offense.

I think Schotty has done some good things this year and as a fan I also question some of the things he called.

But I too get very tired of all the fire Schotty talk. Screw other team, how has that worked for US since Martz was OC? As Paul said, how many OCs have we made look inept over the years only to see that OC have great success? How many OCs have we made look brilliant because our defensive scheme didn't fit the situation.

We are fans. I get that we want it all. I get that we watch intently and think we know why something didn't work. But the fire this guy mantra is one I often just roll my eyes at. It's a crap shoot as to if the fan is right honestly. And too often we have seen that the fans are wrong. I seem to recall several people wanting Williams gone after just 5 or 6 games.

I would also urge that if your main thought behind a thread after a game is fire so and so, just post to the vent thread. That is what it is there for and personally, I will take any and all that I see and merge them into the vent thread anyway so....

But thanks for posting this Paulie. I know I too get swept up in the whole blame game at times. This needed to be brought up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think X brings up some good points, some fair points. But my issues with Schotty go beyond games where he had a backup QB. IMO too many of us are forgetting about games like last year's debacle vs Dallas, when we had Bradford at QB.

Does the OL need to be improved? Yes, absolutely. It is a problem. But when you have an OC who is a JAG he is going to compound some of those problems when he faces a good defense, which is all we see in the NFC West.

Schotty is not known for disguising what he does, like you have with some guys who are good at running their core plays from different formations tuned to their opponent. Defenses line up, pin their ears back, and attack exactly what they expect for the most part due to his plodding predictability.

He's not a good teacher. Martz installed his enormous collection of plays and formations in one camp and had those guys executing it brilliantly right off the bat to include a rookie starting WR Holt and 2nd year guy in Hakim. We tiptoe around the issue of firing Schotty as if there's nobody else who runs that offense. Or like firing him means nobody could possibly install an offense in one season. Neither of those things are true.

His play calling is not good. This goes back to other things, certainly, I get that. But defenses too often key on what he's doing and know what's coming given down/distance/formation and that's bad.

People who defend him list his QBs, which has some validity. But it's also the responsibility of the coordinator to develop the QB by putting them into position to win, gain confidence, learn a deep level of understanding of offensive concepts, etc. If, for example, Sanchez came into the league with Green Bay, do we think he would have been as bad? I don't know, we can't answer that, but the reality is that the coaching and coordinators make a difference. Bradford's incremental development despite a high level of talent and dedication to his craft is telling, to me at least.

Folks defended our DC last year. But right now we are seeing the difference between a JAG coordinator and a DC who is at the top of his craft. And that, IMO, should be the goal for any franchise whose goal is to win it all. So personally, I'm done with Schotty and I pray Fish is too. We'll see.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Had we taken this mentality with the defense we would be talking about Walton instead of GW this year. Schotty isn't the worst OC in the world, but why on Earth would we be satisfied with that? He's simply not a good OC during the game. That's not bashing, that's pointing out the obvious.

Alan

Legend
You know, this whole thing could be just a clever ploy by -X-. By starting this thread he knew the discussion about Schotty would increase which, if you think about it, is diametrically opposed to what he claims to want. :LOL:

Clever bastard. Now I'll never know for sure. :( :ROFLMAO:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my frustration with Schotty in a nutshell. He spends too much time trying to outsmart/fool the defense and not enough time doing what we do best.

Martz used to say that we're going to go out there and play OUR game and force the defense to stop it. I don't feel like Schotty plays our game.

Want an example? Using Jared Cook to block on multiple third down plays. If you are concerned about their pass rush and you think Hill might need to keep a TE into block, trot Kendricks out there. Don't try to outsmart the defense by putting Cook out there to force them to adjust to compensate for Cook being out there. Because that does us no good when he's being used to pass block and does not pass block well. It's just not using a player intelligently.

And don't even get me start on Tavon. Tavon has his faults but is there any reason why Schotty seems to think Tavon is better as a decoy than a weapon?

iced

And don't even get me start on Tavon. Tavon has his faults but is there any reason why Schotty seems to think Tavon is better as a decoy than a weapon?

OC's are supposed to put their players in position to excel....

does anyone think Schotty does this with schotty?

I personally don't, and its part of my gripe with BS (I'm sure like you and like many others).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well for me...i wouldn't shed a tear if BS were to be replaced in the offseason, and i've tried to be as objective and fair about it as anyone in here to this point.
I understand that he hasn't had a starting-caliber QB to work with for nearly half of his time here as OC. Thats tough and thats not on him.
I flat out don't like the identity of this offense(thats subjective)...but on a more tangible note, he quite frankly isn't very good at finding a rhythm in his playcalling, and the goal line stuff is head scratching at best. If the pass play to the TE doesn't work down there inside the 10 yard line, he's got nothing.

@-X- I didn't miss your point btw, objectivity could and should definitely be used more often when as a fan, we want someone thrown out of Rams park. :D Less knee jerk. I get it and you're right brutha.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The offensive line got absolutely man handled and Hill played a very average to below average game. Their secondary isn't the best in the league right now either, but they did a very good job of covering in this game. It helps when you don't have to bring that many men to create pressure either.

That said, I'm not going to kiss Schotty's ass either. Imo he's an above slightly above average game planer, running plays off a below average playbook. The problem is changing the offense will create growing pains for more than a few on the offense at this point.

On a side note, I don't think Jameis Winston or Mariota would do very well in this offense. So if we do draft one of those kids, we might want to go a different route.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I question some play calling (tavon running power dives up the gut) but u can do that with any team. Have u guys forgot about that horrid offense we had when Sam was a rookie... I forget the OCs name. Dinking and dunking to just stall in the red zone.... or better yet EVERY 3rd down no matter the distance we run a shotgun draw... I recall a few games where the game was on the line and we were down by less than 7 in the 4th qtr and it's 3rd and 10+ and we run a f@cking shotgun draw!! U guys wanna relive that? I sure as he'll dont

I welcome Shotty and his willingness to be aggressive and throw the ball more than 5 yds down field. We don't need an Oc we need better qb play and line play. We will be ok

Thinking back to that pitiful shurmer offence. I also remember playing the bears and it was 3rd and I forgot, but I knew, just like everyone including the bears we were running a shotgun draw and we did. The put the camera on love Smith and he was laughing.. I bet he was laughing at that play... I will never forget.. my blood is boiling now thinking about it uuuggghhh

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everything cool in here?

peer.gif

Alan

Legend
fastcat needing an unpleasant memory jog:
Have u guys forgot about that horrid offense we had when Sam was a rookie... I forget the OCs name.
That's what happens when you try to block whole portions of your life from your memory. :LOL:

I believe it was Shurmer.