My rant that I'm not going to debate or comment on.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Your're right, shoulda inserted "critic" instead, we've already gone down this road before regarding the OC, no need resetting them.

My point was Mora's rant was in direct reference to " media critics" who basically were on the outside looking in providing their takes with little regard as to what the overall game planning is all about. (they could care less, they have all the answers) Sorta like us here.

Here's the thing, I don't think Jeff Fisher is going to fire Marty's son anytime soon, you may as well come to peace with that, he's (JF) not about flashy quick strike offenses, "shirley" you know it's true. Does he (Shotty) sometimes call head scratching plays at the most inopportune times? (&%$#@ yeah) Perhaps he does get too clever for his own good, but at the end of the day it's all about defense and ball control, the Rams appeared to be improving and somehow could have been a little guilty of reading their own press clippings praising their recent run.

And you can bet the Cards were less than happy being 6 pt dogs sitting at 10-3 vs a 6-7 team, I shoulda seen it coming but didn't.

1) QB - Lost
2) Projected Number O lineman - Lost (the residual effect was introducing Joseph to the starting lineup, we all know how that's worked out.
3) Quick - Lost (again, a residual effect thing)
4) RG - Total Joke who makes Frosty Freaking Rucker JJ Watts better on National TV...Utter disaster
5) C - Brainy player with eroded skill set - Liability any way you view him - Joke
6) RT- Having major issues lately - Jury still out far as I'm concerend.
7) Back-up QB who was Clearly rattled by the end of the 1st qtr (I knew we were in trouble right around then)

Tough gig for any OC to overcome.

Gee. I was well aware of the Mora's focus on the clip which is why I posted it. But, I guess it is ironic if someone is so invested and/or not a fan of criticism/questioning of a coach.

And perhaps, you should come to peace with the idea that no one really knows what Jeff Fisher is going to do this off-season. Unless you are Jeff Fisher.

In 2004, didn't he allow his OC Mike Heimerdinger to make a lateral move to the Jets after the Titans offense had a down year where Steve McNair was hurt and missed about half the season (along with other injuries and/or inexperience along the Oline and other positions)? None of which was his fault.

In 2007, didn't he fire OC Norm Chow after his 3rd season in which the team went 10-6 but struggled offensively? And this after Chow went from Steve McNair to an inexperienced Vince Young and had multiple changes to his playmakers due to injury, declining talent, and/or free agency in each of his 3 seasons? Again, none of which was his fault?

We have no idea what Jeff Fisher is going to do and Brian Schottenhiemer isn't the only person that can meet the criteria Fisher wants on offense (Though the lack of a strong running game so far suggests to me that he may have failed).

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'm sorry, if you can't see the irony then C'est la vie

Since "the lack of a strong running game so far suggests he may have failed" could you please elaborate on Shottys input with drafting, or is it your belief the Rams interior O Line is the scourge of the league? (of course you know that's where your running success is determined) missed Zack Martin by this much

If you really believe Fisher will make a change at OC then fine, next spring one of us get's to say I told you so:D I'm not going to wimp out on the fence, I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one (unless Shotty somehow gets a better offer elsewhere) Either way I would bet Jeff Fisher has more football acumen in his pinky toenail than you or I posess (Shotty too for that matter) and he'll calls the shot.

The lines are drawn, looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't know why questioning the OC of a team that has not had a decent offense in his tenure is considered bashing. Bashing would be calling his wife ugly.* Most of us are just questioning his play calling. As has been pointed out before, he's not the only OC who has players injured or OL problems. I give him credit when it's due (Raiders game for example). But I think if you take his time here and look at it as a whole, his ability to be creative and use and develop the players he has is average at best. I'd rather we have better than average.

*this is just an example. I'm not calling his wife ugly.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just scrolled thru this whole thing just to see if you commented back @-X-. Lol I have no issue with what u say, there are days I agree and days I dont. If the skins were to fire Grudden, I would drop Schotty in a second to get him. But I'm not always upset with him

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm sorry, if you can't see the irony then C'est la vie

Since "the lack of a strong running game so far suggests he may have failed" could you please elaborate on Shottys input with drafting, or is it your belief the Rams interior O Line is the scourge of the league? (of course you know that's where your running success is determined) missed Zack Martin by this much

If you really believe Fisher will make a change at OC then fine, next spring one of us get's to say I told you so:D I'm not going to wimp out on the fence, I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one (unless Shotty somehow gets a better offer elsewhere) Either way I would bet Jeff Fisher has more football acumen in his pinky toenail than you or I posess (Shotty too for that matter) and he'll calls the shot.

The lines are drawn, looks like we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Wow. Did you even read my post?

I saw the irony from what I believed to be your perspective.
I acknowledged that no one knows what Fisher is going to do.

And running success is not only personnel driven, but also focus/attitude driven. And creativity can help if you have shortcomings in a particular area. Besides, while perhaps the best, the NFL draft is not the only way to acquire personnel. Do you really believe that if Schottenhiemer went to Fisher/Snead and said that he absolutely had to have something to have success he would be ignored?

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nobody's letting Shurmur call plays or design an offense anymore. I say there's a lesson in that somewhere...

Even more telling is that his mentor (Holmgren) took away the play calling duties when he was in CLE. He was terrible and that just cannot be denied. It wasn't the players, it was him.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Fisher doesn't even know what he's going to to until they make their final assessment on Bradford, if they decide to bring him back then it's money in the back Shotty stays (that's what I think will happen)

If they decide to part ways with SB8 (unlikely as I see it) then a change to a different direction wouldn't be shocking to anyone. (60/40 Shotty stays)

If you really believe in your last paragraph, then fine -agree to disagree, my take is -you're not going to run the ball vs a decent defense with a LG nursing a sensitive shoulder, a center that can't run block and a RG who I am sure we can agree is just plain awful - consistently no matter how creative you are, I'm guessing that factored in the playcalling in SD (closing seconds) and Thursday night.

Edit - Memphis, You won the irony thing, I suppose this comment belongs on another thread, looks like I read it wrong...again

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
Hahaha, good use of a cliche. You said, and I quote "It's hilarious how blind some people are."

Which, again, is ironic because after every loss it's directly attributed to the OC.

Also, it's downright insulting to say someone is "blind" or has "blue and gold colored" blinders on simply b/c they don't feel the OC is a problem. Or in my case, refuse to always take the "blame the OC" route.

We're never going to agree here, so much like X, I'll just resort to not commenting from here on.

I gave you Schotty's awful numbers....over nine years in the league. Nine. He's never had a great offense, ever.

See, you keep saying one game....but it's 144+ games that tell me the guy is no good. That's what I mean by blind. I get it, if after a year, or two, or even three.....you have to build an offense up. But when it never happens over nine years?? And you are still making excuses for someone after that many years of evidence. Again, I'm the one being objective just using his offensive numbers. They make my argument for me...when almost every year his offense is ranked below 20th in the league. That's awful.

Could you seriously say with a straight face that if Chip Kelly had this exact same team he wouldn't get far more out of them?

fearsomefour

Legend
I think his schemes are sound otherwise he would not continue getting opportunities in the NFL.
Play to play execution is tougher to determine from watching tv.
How he uses or doesn't use certain players seems odd to me at times.
Maybe he has good reasons for this maybe he does not.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
He's definitely not the worst, but he's not that great either. I wouldn't even say he's good. While sometimes he can be great I can say he screws himself more than anybody else on this team has. His inconsistent play call, his dubious use of talent and his general low opinion among those in and surrounding the league is not inspiring. I don't blame jim for everything, but I do blame him for his faults, which are plentiful. My problem is that among some he simply cannot be faulted for anything or responsible for anything. There'll always be somebody else to blame and absolve him of guilt. Being an OC doesn't act as a get out of jail free card. You can be a shitty OC. I know, he does have to rely on players executing, but far too many times is his excuse been heaping it all on the players. There have been many times when the team was clicking and his calls and general inability to adjust doomed us and our offense.

He's not like an unrepentant, evil monster, but its fair to question what's players not showing up and what has to do with mediocrity.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't know why questioning the OC of a team that has not had a decent offense in his tenure is considered bashing. Bashing would be calling his wife ugly.* Most of us are just questioning his play calling. As has been pointed out before, he's not the only OC who has players injured or OL problems. I give him credit when it's due (Raiders game for example). But I think if you take his time here and look at it as a whole, his ability to be creative and use and develop the players he has is average at best. I'd rather we have better than average.

*this is just an example. I'm not calling his wife ugly.
I don't think any of us have a problem with questioning. It's just the bashing is more prevalent than you think, particularly if one includes kneejerk blaming him for lack of production by the offense when we don't know what the problem is.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Not trying to put the blame on BS or anyone else, but I feel like we need a coordinator that has the potential to put up 35 pts a game, not just once a season. I realize that is not Fisher's style but we finally have talent and should most definitely be a higher scoring offense, maybe with a coordinator that believes in a spread concept can utilize Tavon to compensate for the price we paid to acquire him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think any of us have a problem with questioning. It's just the bashing is more prevalent than you think, particularly if one includes kneejerk blaming him for lack of production by the offense when we don't know what the problem is.

The interior line plus the QB along with some unimaginative, predictable play calling. It seems pretty obvious what the problems are. Can't run consistently, can't keep the heat off the QB, QB misses wide open receivers, our best short yardage runner doesn't play in short yardage situations, our best offensive weapon is mostly used as a decoy, and inability to use plays that are good at beating a blitzing/high pressure team. These don't seem to be a mystery, or knee-jerk bashing. They are recurring problems. From what I've seen, most people have been respectful, and most give credit to him when he has a good game. But I tend to be on here for short periods of time at different times of the day, so maybe I am missing what you are referring to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not trying to put the blame on BS or anyone else, but I feel like we need a coordinator that has the potential to put up 35 pts a game, not just once a season. I realize that is not Fisher's style but we finally have talent and should most definitely be a higher scoring offense, maybe with a coordinator that believes in a spread concept can utilize Tavon to compensate for the price we paid to acquire him.

Yeah, for me it's about raising the bar, plain and simple. We can go round and round all day listing Schotty's production as OC, who he had in terms of talent, etc but in the end the question that needs to be asked is whether he's the guy you want to take you forward. Is he a guy who can get us 30 points a game?

For many here, yes he is, clearly. For me, hell no, not even close. What is going to be interesting is to see what Fish thinks, and we're gonna find out soon too.

Oh and let's remember not to buy into Fish's comments on Schotty, either. He did, after all, say last year that he did not foresee any changes at DC. What spurred him to make that move by firing Walton was getting the right guy to move forward with.

So I do have hope the same decision, the right decision, gets made here.

Ramatik

Starter
Yeah, for me it's about raising the bar, plain and simple. We can go round and round all day listing Schotty's production as OC, who he had in terms of talent, etc but in the end the question that needs to be asked is whether he's the guy you want to take you forward. Is he a guy who can get us 30 points a game?

For many here, yes he is, clearly. For me, hell no, not even close. What is going to be interesting is to see what Fish thinks, and we're gonna find out soon too.

Oh and let's remember not to buy into Fish's comments on Schotty, either. He did, after all, say last year that he did not foresee any changes at DC. What spurred him to make that move by firing Walton was getting the right guy to move forward with.

So I do have hope the same decision, the right decision, gets made here.

This reminds me of when we had Vermiel. A lot of people wanted better. We had Martz... and people wanted better.

We had Kurt Warner, and people wanted better.

We really don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Is Shotty a F-up? I don't know. Are the players just screwing up? Again, I really don't know.

But one thing I do know:

Fisher knows.

So if he keeps the guy, I'm cool.
If he finds somebody else, I'm cool.

I don't have the info to really know, but I do have confidence in Fisher as to what he has produced for us so far. This was the worse Organization over a decade! There was no miracle fix that was going to have lasting power.

I want a winner.

But I'd really like a dynasty.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

But if you include kneejerk reactions, your kneejerk reacting yourself because you don't know what is going through the minds of posters. For instance I take offense to it because I didn't just pull the idea out of my ass that Shotty is bad after the first disappointing game the Rams O had. I've had that opinion since the Jets. I've thought Fisher was Mr. Average since the Titans. So it's not a kneejerk reaction at all by me and I'm sure a lot of others.

By the way. Prison Architect. Picked it up off steam for 5 bucks during the fall sale. It's really a surprisingly good game. You should check it out.