My Preseason Guess of Final 53

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think Rivers will make the roster and will be their punt returner.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Some good efforts above that look like they'll be real close. I'll just say I expect 10 OL. No way they go less than that given recent history plus not wanting to risk an older QB who they need to protect.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bumped this thread because I thought it would be interesting to revisit it before the final preseason game. It’s your thread, so you should have first crack.

I will say, the OLBs and DBs could warrant another look.
As for the OL, I’m not sure what’s going on now.
Are you still gonna keep 3 QBs?
My OL starting unit is the same except putting Shelton at center instead of Allen. Backups are the same except for replacing Bruss with Thomas.
I don’t think anybody has any real idea of OLBs, though I do expect 2 to 3 waiver wire pickups, and one might be an OLB.
CBs are for sure Durant, Kendrick, Tomlinson, Witherspoon, and Rochelle.
Safetys are Fuller, Lake, Robinson3, Yeast. There will probably be one more, just don’t know who for sure.
Just going with two QBs.
After the last preseason game I plan on doing my best guess of the final 53 again, minus the 2 or 3 waiver wire pickups.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
The Rams have added JJ3 to the Safety room. Pretty sure that’s who you meant by “Robinson 3”. That being the case, along with your CBs, we’re in agreement for the secondary—as of today!

I think Rozeboom makes the squad at ILB, bumping KA to the PS.

As for the Edge/OLBs, yeah, it’s a mess. Guys like Heocht and Young will stay for obvious reasons, and KThomas has played well. After those 3, I’m not seeing anything/anybody to get excited about.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Just throwing this out there, anybody else seeing Skow as a potential casualty? The WR room is suddenly a bit crowded.

Kupp, VJ, and Atwell: not playing in preseason. They’re in.
Nakua is not getting cut. That puts the count at 4 locks with only 2-3 spots left.

How bad do the Rams want Xavier Smith returning kicks?
Robinson and Johnson have made the most out of their opportunities. Hmm. Just asking.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Probably go with 3 TEs and then Skow will sort of count as one of them. It's gonna be tight though no doubt.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Probably go with 3 TEs and then Skow will sort of count as one of them. It's gonna be tight though no doubt.

Yup, ... Hunter Long to IR & this opens up another WR opportunity.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Skow needs to make the cut. He can plug and play at FB/TE/WR and does not mind getting his hands dirty.
Need guys like that on the squad.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McVay has never even hinted at playing Skow at TE, and maybe the reason for that is that he never played TE in college or in high school. So I highly doubt he’ll start playing there in the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend
I don’t think there is any chance Sko gets cut. He really knows the system and can factor into the offense in several roles effectively.

I wonder if Demarcus Robinson gets cut? Not sure if any guaranteed money on that 1 year 1m contract?

Tyler Johnson has way outplayed him.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Just throwing this out there, anybody else seeing Skow as a potential casualty? The WR room is suddenly a bit crowded.

Kupp, VJ, and Atwell: not playing in preseason. They’re in.
Nakua is not getting cut. That puts the count at 4 locks with only 2-3 spots left.

How bad do the Rams want Xavier Smith returning kicks?
Robinson and Johnson have made the most out of their opportunities. Hmm. Just asking.
Skow is a key special teamer. Not going anywhere + > Hunter Long in terms of production, understanding assignments, blocking. It doesn’t matter that he is listed at WR not TE because he comes in for certain packages where his versatility helps them run multiple plays from the same look

We probably keep one between Robinson and Johnson perhaps stashing Johnson on the practice squad. The problem with what we have seen in preseason is that they are not running plays that require much thinking. I wonder if Johnson has grasped the system as easily as Robinson?

Nick Hampton looks more like a LB than Edge out there. Is he possibly due a position switch? Agree that he needs to add more power, but I didn’t read he had trouble diagnosing plays in college so imagine that he’s simply a rookie trying to figure it out which can take time

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
has long been on pup since the beginning of camp?

Yes. I imagine they will keep that injury status into the season or else expect him to hit the street and be resigned to the practice squad. He’s not exactly a hot commodity right now

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
has Long been on pup since the beginning of camp?

Yes. I believe a player can be placed on the PUP List only at the start Training Camp.

I think the current rules are as follows:
If Long is still on the PUP List when Preseason ends, he's there for four more weeks and is not part of the 53-man-roster. After four weeks, Long can participate in practice; and the Rams have an additional five-week-window to activate him. It's almost like a nine-week-IR, with specific practice limitations and rules.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm wondering more about the "shocker(s)". The guy or two who doesn't make the 53, who few thought would be cut.

On the original post......I hope they keep just 2 QBs. As has been pointed out, roster spots are VALUABLE and there's really no value in keeping 3. If Stafford goes down it's over. Then the PS QB gets called up.

I have no idea who will make it other than Donald, Stafford, Kupp and the obvious vets but here's my breakdown

2 QB, 4 RB, 3 TE, 7 WR, 9 OL (25)
3 ST
7 DL, 4 OLB, 3 ILB, 7 CB, 4 S (25)

But what the hell, I'll take a shot

QB: Stafford, Bennett
RB: Akers, Williams, Evans, Rivers
TE: Higbee, Hopkins, Allen
WR: Kupp, VJ, Tutu, Nacua, Skowronek, Johnson, Robinson
OL: Jackson, Noteboom, Avila, Anchrum, Allen, Shelton, McClendon, Havenstein, Thomas

PK, P, LS: Brown, Evans, Ward

DL: Donald, B.Brown, E.Brown, Murchison, Turner, Williams, Copeland
OLB: Thomas, Hoecht, Young, Hardy
ILB: Jones, Hummel, Rozeboom
CB: Durant, Kendrick, T-H-T, Witherspoon, Rochell, Jolly, Ti Davis
S: Fuller, Johnson, Yeast, Lake

PUP: Long, TE & Mathis, OLB
IR: Bruss

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I would keep McAllester on the roster as the 10th Olman. I am the most concerned about the LBer position, if they lose Jones in the middle and overall, the OLBers seem 2nd rate. Just have to keep our fingers crossed that that found something in Byron Young and Kier Thomas

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
River's rather unconventional 53 :

Offense (25) :

QB (2)
Stafford
Bennett

RB (3)
Akers