My issue with no Trade at deadline it's psychological

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I know we are more than 1 trade away I hear all of you say that and to a degree I agree, but I saw several Rams players being interviewed in the locker room after the SF and it felt like a morgue. Everyone was super down. They needed a pick me up and a couple trades would give them hope.

To me making a trade or two shows the team we are not done via Les/McVay - it becomes psychological. Clearly I am not suggesting making a trade to appease the egos of the players I am sure there is a bunch of options that could have made sense. Tunsil/RB combo. Wynn/RB combo and a bunch of other draft options.

Last season vs this season:

Honestly we are only Whit and a huge rash of injuries away from the same team last year. Trading out Wagner for Von, trading Hill for DWill, trading Robinson for OBJ or Woods all are laterally moves. We have the same RBs as last year with more recouperating time for Akers so technically he should be stronger. Overall this team is essentially the same unfortunately Robinson is not killing it, there is no Whit replacement and Von gone is really highlighting a hole but remember last year we had a lot more sacks at this point including a better record by a mile.

The only NON replacement was Whit he wasn't replaced adequately even though Noteboom was supposed to be that guy. To early to tell on Jackson.

The injuries in the secondary and OL have been really troublesome, but we are almost back to full strength minus Fuller. We will hopefully get both Edwards/Shelton back by AZ (2 weeks from now) and we should be very healthy.

There is hope - the rest of the schedule outside of KC seems winnable. Time for the team to show us what they are made of.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Doesn't staying with the players we already have actually signal to the team that McVay and Snead DO think they can succeed this year?

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Doesn't staying with the players we already have actually signal to the team that McVay and Snead DO think they can succeed this year?
Then they are arrogant. Basically all of us see this team stinks this year. Not hard.

Tano

Legend
Yeah, kinda. :laugh4:

Look... I get the frustration. But I'm also not ready to pull the plug just yet. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Maybe its just habit.
hitting head min maw koon GIF

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
It could - hopefully it does.
Could also mean we didn't get who we wanted, and decided, (or were forced), to stand pat.

Personally, i think there is just a different (not better) vibe with the team this year.
Losing leaders/locker room guys like Whit, Miller, OBJ SJD and even Michel, as well as our OC and some assistants, has had an affect...then there's the SB hangover.
Not pessimistic, but seems like a "not our year" year, so it will be interesting to me to see how the team responds.

Hell, who knows, myabe Williams lights the world on fire and tutu gets offensive player of the month. :laugh1:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
My biggest issue is that the NFC, and the NFC West in particular, is wide open. Anybody could conceivably come out of it.

It was way too early to give up on the season, but that is the message today sent.

The Rams' schedule down the stretch looks pretty winnable, too. If we can get a few more bodies back on the o-line (Shelton, and perhaps Edwards too?), and stay healthy, I still see this as a team that can compete in a weak NFC.

Other reinforcements should be on the way in the secondary as well, which should help with depth a minimum

With our cluster o-line injuries, this is likely not the year for the Rams to give up tons of assets in a headline grabbing move. But surely we could have improved on the roster somehow without breaking the bank. RBs can be had affordably. Our edge situation is so poor that we could likely have upgraded upon it even with a tier 2 or tier 3 acquisition. No need to get a Chubb or a Burns to improve our edge situation. Heck, no need to even pry a John Allen out of Jacksonville. Lesser known players could likely have been found by working the phones. Even an Ogbo Okoronkwo type situational pass rusher would help right now. The Rams sure could use him at present.

The NFC likely loses the Super Bowl to the the AFC anyway this year. But you never know. "Any given Sunday." Who thought the Bengals would come out of the AFC last year?

Why not give yourself an opportunity to make the big dance, at which point anything can happen?

I am shocked all of the Rams, Packers, and Bucs stood pat with the NFC being in the shape it is in this year...

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Then they are arrogant. Basically all of us see this team stinks this year. Not hard.
I actually don't agree. We had major injuries to two areas and we were hit incredibly hard not fair assessment. Tell us all we stink when we're healthy and then you have an argument. The 4 losses were to 4 top 7 defenses with the Rams being massively hurt 3 of the 4 games.

We are 3 players from being at almost full strength Fuller, Shelton, Edwards - Noteboom is out for the season so he will not be coming back but their is hope with Jackson. We get Shelton, Edwards back hopefully at AZ game (2 weeks) not sure on Fuller.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My biggest issue is that the NFC, and the NFC West in particular, is wide open. Anybody could conceivably come out of it.

It was way too early to give up on the season, but that is the message today sent.

The Rams' schedule down the stretch looks pretty winnable, too. If we can get a few more bodies back on the o-line (Shelton, and perhaps Edwards too?), and stay healthy, I still see this as a team that can compete in a weak NFC.

Other reinforcements should be on the way in the secondary as well, which should help with depth a minimum

With our cluster o-line injuries, this is likely not the year for the Rams to give up tons of assets in a headline grabbing move. But surely we could have improved on the roster somehow without breaking the bank. RBs can be had affordably. Our edge situation is so poor that we could likely have upgraded upon it even with a tier 2 or tier 3 acquisition. No need to get a Chubb or a Burns to improve our edge situation. Heck, no need to even pry a John Allen out of Jacksonville. Lesser known players could likely have been found by working the phones. Even an Ogbo Okoronkwo type situational pass rusher would help right now. The Rams sure could use him at present.

The NFC likely loses the Super Bowl to the the AFC anyway this year. But you never know. "Any given Sunday." Who thought the Bengals would come out of the AFC last year?

Why not give yourself an opportunity to make the big dance, at which point anything can happen?

I am shocked all of the Rams, Packers, and Bucs stood pat with the NFC being in the shape it is in this year...
Perfect post totally agree. Sure we would love a Burns but several stronger pieces shore up the areas better than what we have imo. I agree the last 10 games all are winnable minus possibly KC in KC. Not sure we needed to nuke our 1st rounders plus but adding a RB or OL or even an upgrade at corner could do wonders.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Meh.

Not really upset that we didn't pull the trigger on a trade. We just didn't have enough ammo to do something that would have made a big difference. We pretty much used it up in the preceding seasons. And it's not like we don't have anything to show for our previous moves ... that Super Bowl win is a pretty nice prize for our previous moves and it's pretty good consolation for the shit we're dealing with now.

Face it, the biggest problem we have is that a ridiculous number of injuries have fucking wrecked our OL, and that more than anything is what's killing our season. Just bad luck. Hopefully we get healthy going forward and get some continuity and we can reload next year.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
We need to compete every year our older players are getting older by the day, we need to build now to go the extra distance. Do we hope making the playoffs on a longshot? I am not saying its impossible, but man….I think for now on we should start using our picks from here on out and not waste them.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I know we are more than 1 trade away I hear all of you say that and to a degree I agree, but I saw several Rams players being interviewed in the locker room after the SF and it felt like a morgue. Everyone was super down. They needed a pick me up and a couple trades would give them hope.

To me making a trade or two shows the team we are not done via Les/McVay - it becomes psychological. Clearly I am not suggesting making a trade to appease the egos of the players I am sure there is a bunch of options that could have made sense. Tunsil/RB combo. Wynn/RB combo and a bunch of other draft options.

Last season vs this season:

Honestly we are only Whit and a huge rash of injuries away from the same team last year. Trading out Wagner for Von, trading Hill for DWill, trading Robinson for OBJ or Woods all are laterally moves. We have the same RBs as last year with more recouperating time for Akers so technically he should be stronger. Overall this team is essentially the same unfortunately Robinson is not killing it, there is no Whit replacement and Von gone is really highlighting a hole but remember last year we had a lot more sacks at this point including a better record by a mile.

The only NON replacement was Whit he wasn't replaced adequately even though Noteboom was supposed to be that guy. To early to tell on Jackson.

The injuries in the secondary and OL have been really troublesome, but we are almost back to full strength minus Fuller. We will hopefully get both Edwards/Shelton back by AZ (2 weeks from now) and we should be very healthy.

There is hope - the rest of the schedule outside of KC seems winnable. Time for the team to show us what they are made of.
One "non replacement" you didn't mention was Corbett. We really, really miss that guy.

Shelton would have been an adequate replacement for him, though. (And I'm hopeful that Shelton helps us when he comes back). But man, losing Corbett and Whit and then injuries to Edwards, Bruss, Noteboom, Allen, Shelton, Anchrum... what a clusterf***k.

Evans and Kolone and Oboushi not getting it done, hardly surprising...

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
My thing is similar for starters at least a pass rusher to help as I'm trying really hard to believe the offense will get healthy and improve. I have to trust in that because health etc. That said the pass rush I mean come on it's horrible.

Like mentioned above you can waste a year of Kupp Stafford Ramsey Wagner and AD. You won't be flush with cash to retool on the fly so either you trade core pieces for picks or what now??? Roll out basically the same team nit a year older?

fearsomefour

Legend
No one wants to help the defending champs.
Rams didn't get CMC but drove the price up for the Whiners.....although the biggest benefit to handling CMC would have been keeping him away from a dream match with Shanny.
Im amazed Carolina didn't take the 2 ones the Rams were offering for Burns.
Either, they didn't want to wait a year or two for first round picks or.....well....it does say what the Panthers think of CMC and his ability to stay healthy.
Rams didn't pull a big move, but, at least they didn't over pay.
As an aside, I wonder if they have plans to bring back Odell at this point?