My Dreams Crushed - Jones Coming Back to School

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
The kid sounds super humble though and intelligent. You can't knock him too much.

But if he loses out on the starting job...I'm not sure what he can prove on the bench.

Bummer.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
worst decision I've ever seen.....I guess that RB(Maurice Clemens?) from tOSU maybe a warning for all Buckeyes....

FRO

Legend
Probably will make more money at OSU next year than he would as a 2-5 round pick.

I think it made more sense for him to go pro than to stay. It's his choice though and more power to him.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Yep stupid move in my opinion and I bet Myer fed him a bunch of BS about how hes got a good as shot as the other guys as being the starter next year when in reality he is just gonna be riding the bench unless the other QBs get hurt again and Myer just wanted to cover his ass because in his system his QBs have a high probabilty of getting hurt.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Can't fault him for doing what he thinks best.
If he's the real deal he will be a top 5 pick next year.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep stupid move in my opinion and I bet Myer fed him a bunch of BS about how hes got a good as shot as the other guys as being the starter next year when in reality he is just gonna be riding the bench unless the other QBs get hurt again and Myer just wanted to cover his ass because in his system his QBs have a high probabilty of getting hurt.

That and the guy called JT Barrett who got them that far to make a move in the first place. Meyer does love his running QBs. JT only put up near 4K combined yards with 45 combined TDs and that's missing those 3 last OSU games.

I mean shit. Good on the kid for wanting to finish his EDU....

But unless he hones his full potential this offseason or JT transfers/isn't 100%, I don't see him ever starting at OSU.

I bet he transfers back to JUCO or DIII. He can play DII or III without sitting out right?

Seems kinda meh. In a piss poor QB draft, I think he could have gone high 2nd at least (us) or 1st (low).

RamBill

Legend
Cardale Jones' return to school leaves one less QB option for Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-to-school-leaves-one-less-qb-option-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Despite plenty of speculation over the past 24 hours, Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones decided to return to school next season. He announced that choice in a news conference Thursday.

The debate about whether that was the right move for Jones or not will rage on until the next thing in the news cycle spins on, but for the here and now, we know this much: the NFL is a league starving for quarterbacks and Jones' return leaves one less item teams like the St. Louis Rams can order from the menu this offseason.

I have no idea if the Rams liked Jones enough to draft him. I do know that they hadn't really studied him much, other than seeing what everyone saw on television in his three starts. It's a minuscule sample size, but perhaps the best tiny sample size a quarterback could have had, given the opponents and the importance of the games.

But it's no secret that the Rams are in the hunt for help at quarterback, and probably won't be positioned to get either of the top prospects -- Oregon's Marcus Mariota and Florida State's Jameis Winston.

That means the Rams will likely have to sort through what's left of a quarterback class that isn't all that deep behind Mariota and Winston, and even those two have their share of questions.

Jones could have been an intriguing option in day 2 or 3. He might not have been the answer, either, but his physical skills are undeniable. As one NFL scout put it to me on Thursday afternoon, "All I know is he's 6-5, 250 with a cannon." Those attributes guarantee nothing, but it's a good place to start when you have a pressing need for a quarterback of the future.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Probably will make more money at OSU next year than he would as a 2-5 round pick.

I think it made more sense for him to go pro than to stay. It's his choice though and more power to him.

I still say he would have been a 1st round pick this year when the dust settled.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
He'd be a project in the NFL if he came out but would probably have been drafted higher now than when they get more tape on him and can pick out his weaknesses. Hard to say if it is the right move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-cardale-jones-nfl-talk-was-a-media-creation/

Urban Meyer says Cardale Jones NFL talk was a media creation
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 7, 2015

cdd9ea74198faad1e7b95ed58c67a82b.jpeg
AP

For a couple days in January, the biggest story in the football world was whether Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones would return to school or enter the 2015 NFL draft. But Jones’s coach says that story never should have been a story at all.

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer told the FOX Sports Audible podcast that while the media made an issue of it, he never thought Jones leaving was even a possibility.

“Someone asks me, ‘Is Cardale staying or going?’ I thought ‘Where’s he going?’ I didn’t even think twice about the NFL because he’s only played three games,” Meyer said.

According to Meyer, Jones never gave any indication that he was considering turning pro, and Meyer heard that speculation only from the media.

“He said, ‘I’m not ready, and I want to get my degree.’ And so I think the media made a huge deal out of it,” Meyer said. “But I don’t think there was ever — he might have talked about it on his own or with some other people, but there was zero conversation with me.”

Meyer may be right that there were more discussions in the media bout whether Jones would turn pro than there were serious conversations among Jones’s camp or the people at Ohio State. But what Meyer neglects to mention is that Jones is in a unique position because he was a third-string quarterback who only played because quarterbacks Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett got injured.

That means there’s a real chance that Jones will spend the 2015 season on the sideline. That’s why some people thought Jones should have turned pro — it’s not that anyone thinks Jones is ready for the NFL right now, it’s that some people think Jones won’t get any more ready than he already is, because he’ll spend the next year holding a clipboard.

And, of course, if Jones didn’t want the “will he or won’t he” question to become a big story, all he had to do was quietly stay at Ohio State. Instead, Jones chose to hold a press conference to publicize his decision.

So while the Jones situation was an unusual one, it was hardly one that was created by the media. It was created by Jones: First by playing so well in his three games as Ohio State’s starter that he established himself as an NFL prospect, and then by having a press conference. And Jones’s pro prospects will continue to be a story throughout the 2015 season, whether he’s Ohio State’s starter or is back to being a backup.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Meyer is always full of shit imo. One way or another.

Ltrautman

MIZ
This guy could've gone fifth round and made a few hundred thousand a year to support his new family. Wish he would've come out because he's got all the talent in the world but I always respect guys choosing to stay in school, he has to declare at some point anyway. He seems like more of an Aaron Rodgers-development-type guy but he's got a boatload of potential.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meyer is always full of crap imo. One way or another.

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Cardale Jones could have been drafted as high as the top 10-15 if he'd opted early into the draft, an NFL team executive told Fox Sports.
"Maybe he would have gone in the second round," the executive told foxsports.com, "but I think it's just as likely (he) could have gone in the top 10 or 15. Look at that body, that arm -- and look at his competition (in the draft)." A different source told Fox that Jones can develop more effectively in college this coming season. "In a way I'm glad he (returned). He needs reps, even spring reps. He needs time," the source said. "The problem with the NFL is it would take a unique situation for a team to draft him and not feel the pressure to play him next year, probably before he's ready." Jones himself told Sports Illustrated that he had an opportunity "to be picked in the second or third round of the 2015 draft," while two NFL sources speaking with CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd said his draft ceiling would have been Round 4 had he entered. We think the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Jones probably would have ended up going on Day 2.

Meyer is a snake oil salesman. He really screwed this kid something fierce if he doesn't start next year. And there was no reason to do it. He had Braxton Miller and J.T. Barrett both coming back with 5 Star QB(that could end up playing WR or safety) and a 4 Star QB coming in. Also had a 3 Star that redshirted in 2014.

Just a douche move.

A head coach that cared about his player would have advised him to leave.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://deadspin.com/cardale-jones-h...lunkett#_ga=1.242565570.1300535086.1419613776

Cardale Jones Has An Important Update About Crushing Kids At Video Games

Tom Ley

Yesterday 4:08pm
uel9vqi96hpr6zm3enpk.jpg

Back in January, Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones visited some kids at the hospital. One of the kids unwisely hopped on the sticks like Jones was going to take it easy on him in the NCAA football video game. Jones did not take it easy, and beat the kid by a reported score of 91-35. Now, more than a month later, Jones wants us to know what really happened that day.

Can't blame him for wanting to ensure the accuracy of the historical record.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I vaguely recall a movie that had that as a skit. The guy was not just beating the patient he was trash talking him too and the boy was very ill.

Anyone remember it? It was a comedian, maybe Adam Sandler?